Saucy Size

VISITORS READ HERE FIRST: Local riding advice

Okay, this is the much-promised sticky we've been talking about. It's directed primarily at out of town visitors as well as new riders who don't know where else to ride in our glorious state besides their favorite city park trail.

To our visitors: We've created this thread to hopefully answer the most obvious questions you have about riding in our state. This has become necessary because every year, usually from mid-Fall into late-Spring, the tourist traffic in our forum becomes so great that we spend all our time answering "I'm coming to Arizona where should I ride?" type questions.

If it still doesn't answer your questions, then maybe we need to add more stuff to our sticky! Go ahead and post to the board if you still have questions.

Thread rules:

* Locals, please post your personal recommendations for your personal favorite rides. Include enough detail that the reader can determine the ride's difficulty, trailhead directions, ride directions, and seasonal considerations. Any post that fails to do these things will get deleted.

* Do not comment on someone else's recommendations unless it is to clarify or expand on what someone else is recommending. Any post dissing someone else's recommendations will get deleted.

* This is not the thread to recommend or criticize local bike shops. I will start a separate sticky for that subject. If you include information about a bike shop, please make sure it's related to the ride(s) you're recommending.

* If you have a thread in mind where we've already discussed riding in certain areas, send me a PM with a link and I'll review it.

* This is not going to be a "normal" thread with lots of back-and-forth. It will be informational only. Expect lots of posts to get deleted along the way that don't serve this purpose.

With that said, start posting up your recommendations!

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Saucy Size

DIY: Resources for your own research

This is a list of everything I have on my bookshelf: Every map, every book, everything. I've included links to Amazon.com or other online retailers to help you purchase them. Many of us here own copies; ask around and someone may be able to lend you theirs.

Books
    Mountain Bike America: Arizona (Paul Beakley)
    Fat Tire Tales & Trails (Cosmic Ray)
    Mountain Biking Arizona (Sarah Alley)
    Rim Country Mountain Biking (Jeffrey Stevenson)
    Mountain Biking Phoenix (Bruce Grubbs)
    Mountain Biking Flagstaff/Sedona (Bruce Grubbs)
    Biking the Grand Canyon Area (Andrea Lankford)
    Biking the Arizona Trail (Andrea Lankford)
    Flagstaff Hikes (Hiking & Biking) (Richard Mangum)
    Prescott & Central Highland Trails (Ronald Smith)
    Mountain Bike Adventures in the Four Corners Region (Michael McCoy)

Maps
    The Map: Trails of East Phoenix (Arizona Mapping Kompany)
    The Map: West Phoenix (Arizona Mapping Kompany)
    The Map: Tucson (Arizona Mapping Kompany) (no link for AMK)
    Epic Sedona (Epic Map Company)
    Flagstaff Trails Map (Emmitt Barks Cartography)
    The Original Sedona Mountain BIke Trail Map & Field Guide (Mountain Bike Heaven)
    The No-Nonsense Mountain Bike Trail Guide: Flagstaff & Sedona Arizona
    The Desert Quail Inn Presents Sedona By Trail
    Sharlot Hall Prescott Trail Maps (free!)

ROG Sheets
    The USFS offers Recreational Opportunity Guides (ROG Sheets) for free to anyone who calls and asks for them. These are very rudimentary trail guides for rides in their jurisdictions. Call the USFS office in question and they'll send you whatever they have for mountain biking.

Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest
    Coconino National Forest
    Coronado National Forest
    Kaibab National Forest
    Prescott National Forest
    Tonto National Forest

Local Clubs
    While Arizona does not have a lot of mountain biking clubs, those we do have are very active with group rides and disseminating ride information.
    Sonoran Desert Mountain Bikers (SDMB)
    Southern Arizona Mountain Biking Association (SAMBA)

And last but not least...
    The MTBR trail review page. Use at your own risk.

Did I forget anything? Hit me with a PM and I'll add it.

p.

Saucy Size

Previous Discussions

Here are links to some of the better and more informative "where to ride" posts we've had. I'll add more to this post as I find them. I'm putting all the ride areas that pop into my head here -- if you have a thread you'd like to link to, let me know!

p.

Phoenix Area
    The National Trail | SoMo Trailhead info | Mormon/National/Javelina Writeup
    Trail 100 Map by Epicrider
    Hawes | Pass Mountain | Usery Park Map
    Pima & Dynamite
    Sunrise Trail
    Pemberton/McDowell Mountains | Maricopa County Maps
    Estrella Mountains | Maricopa County Maps
    White Tank Mountains | Goat Camp | Maricopa County Maps
    The FR/DH scene
    Where to rent bikes
    A Valley-wide comparison of trail difficulties, as suggested by the AZ Forum
    Closest/coolest rides from Phoenix

Tucson Area
    Starr Pass
    Green Mountain/Molino/Milagrosa (Catalina South)
    Samaniego/Red Ridge/Oracle Ridge/CDO (Catalina North)
    Catalina/50 Year Trail
    Fantasy Island
    The FR/DH scene
    A Tucson-area comparison of trail difficulties, as suggested by the AZ Forum

Sedona Area
    Cathedral/Bell Rock (Sedona South)
    Jim Thompson/Midgley/Damifino/Huckaby/Munds (Sedona East)
    Secret/Teacup/Thunder Mountain/Airport Mesa/Cockscomb (Sedona West)
    The FR/DH scene
    A Sedona area comparison of trail difficulties, as suggested by the AZ Forum

Prescott Area
    Overview of Prescott ride opportunities | More | Much more |
    Granite Basin | More Granite Basin
    Spruce Mountain
    Lynx Lake
    Thumb Butte
    The FR/DH scene

Flagstaff Area
    Mt. Elden
    Fort Valley
    Walnut Canyon
    Williams/Grand Canyon
    The FR/DH scene
    A list of Flagstaff area rides, organized by progressive difficulty as suggested by the AZ Forum

White Mountains Area
    Pinetop/Tour of the White Mountains
    Springerville/VRFTF
    The FR/DH scene | Sunrise Ski Resort | More Sunrise

Everywhere Else
    Globe | The Six Shooter Map
    Chiricahuas
    Casa Grande | More Casa Grande
    Chad's 10 Most Underrated AZ Trails
    Patagonia
    Yuma NEW
    Last edited by Paul B; 01-20-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Saucy Size

Local Events

We have quite a few events around the state that are either bike-specific or bike-related. I've listed everything I can think of here.

Events
    Arizona Spring Fling: Usually St. Patty's Day Weekend.
    Valle Redondo Fat Tire Fiesta
    Flight of the Pigs
    New Belgium Brewing Company's Tour De Fat

Races
    Tour of the White Mountains
    24 Hours in the Old Pueblo
    Whiskey Off-Road
    Soul Ride
    MBAA Race Series
    Dust Devil Race Series

Bike Swaps
    GABA Bike Swap: Weekend before the El Tour de Tucson every year; another one in April. Check the GABA website for details.
    CAB Phoenix Bike Swap
    PAT Prescott Bike Swap
    Tempe Bike Swap

Ouch, I am hot!

My Favorite Phoenix Trail

By far, my favorite ride in Phoenix is the National Trail to Buena Vista parking lot and back. Here is a description:

Ride Difficulty - Advanced. This trail has some serious drops, rock gardens, some exposure (after Buena Vista parking lot), technical climbs and lots of hikers. It will beat the hell out of you year round. I always bring plenty of water (at least 100oz), especially during March through October. BRING PLENTY OF WATER. Note: Most of this trail can be done by most CARFEFUL intermediate riders. As long as you get off and walk the tougher sections, you too will have a huge smile on your face. Be careful.

Trailhead Directions. Most riders start this ride from the Pima Canyon Parking Lot at 48th Street and Guadalupe. Take 1-10 to Baseline Road go right (west) to 48th street. Take 48th street 1/4 mile past Euclid and turn right (sign indicating park entrance). Go 400 feet and turn left to parking lot/trailhead. Be careful, I got lost the first time I tried to find the parking lot. You will know when you are there because it is a big long lot with plenty of people. Park.

Ride Directions. From the parking lot, get on the bike and ride directly west out of the parking lot on the big fire road starting at the toilets to the end, about 1.3 miles. At the end of the fire road, head down on the left and follow the signs and singletrack to the National Trail trailhead to the left or the Mormon Loop/Morman Trail trailhead to the right. Both trails will take you up. Morman is easier and my preference by far. Follow the signs to stay on the trail, although there are not many deviations. If taking Morman (Morman Loop) up, do not follow Mormon trail down where it goes back down the mountain to 24th street on the right. You want to turn south and connect with the National Trail. If you took National Trail from the bottom, you will eventually get to the Morman/National intersection. Again, either way gets you there. Keep heading up, through some technical sections, including the infamous Waterfall. You can stop here and return back down, or continue on to the Buena Vista parking lot. If you continue, there will be some ups and downs (mostly up) until you get to the Buena Vista parking lot. You can't miss this big lot. At this point, I would return back down for the "most fun" possible on a bike. You can continue on National Trail from Buena Vista, but that is another ride. Going down, just follow the trail back to the Pima Canyon parking lot. At the National/Morman intersection, you can decide which way to go down - back down Morman or down Lower National. Morman is easier. Lower National is the bomb. Pure fun.
    I AM JUST A JERK

I am Walt

Lost Dog Wash area/Sunrise Trail - McDowell Sonoran Preserve, NE Scottsdale

There is some great riding in Northeast Scottsdale that is still somewhat under the radar. It is in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve and is known as the Lost Dog Wash area and also the Sunrise Trail (not to be mistaken with Sunrise Ski Resort in northern AZ).

Access
    - 124th St. dead-end, north of Via Linda and north of Shea. New trailhead being built; should be done in 2006 sometime.
    - 128th St. dead-end, north of Via Linda and north of Shea. No real trailhead, just pull off parking. Best place to start until the 124th St. trailhead opens.
    - 144th St. and Via Linda. New Sunrise Trailhead (in Hidden Hills neighborhood) opened in March, 2005. You generally don't want to start your ride here - up, up, up and steep. Lots of hike-a-bike.
    - In all cases, take the 101 (Loop 101 in the East Valley, not West) to Shea, go east on Shea to 124th St., then go north on 124th and navigate from there.
    - There is also access from the north in the McDowell Mountain Ranch area, but I can't describe the access as well as some others. They can post up with directions from that side.

Difficulty/Type of Riding
    - Pretty much all singletrack XC riding, with some doubletrack thrown in. Not as rocky overall as T100, but some parts are pretty loose and/or rocky. WEAR A HELMET!
    - Some moderate to moderate+ climbs (except the Sunrise Trail) and washes
    - No rock gardens or drops anywhere
    - Other than the Sunrise Trail, all easy+ to moderate riding, but you NEED to know how to handle your bike.
    - Sunrise Trail is a grueling climb that gains about 1000' from either side, but is non-technical going up. It requires some skill going down, particularly to the east towards the Sunrise Trailhead, due to steep, loose sections and switchbacks. You'll want disc brakes going down that way. You can get hurt. Watch out for hikers.
    - Has a backcountry kind of feel to it. Ride with a partner or bring your cell phone.
    - Lots of cacti - saguaro, cholla, etc. Use slime or thorn-resistant tubes.
    - Hardtails and SS's are fine; FS will be preferred if you're not used to desert riding.

Rides/Trails
    - Lost Dog Wash - south of Taliesin Overlook
    - Ringtail - east of Lost Dog Wash, south of Taliesin Overlook
    - Quartz Trail - north of Taliesin Overlook, bears east
    - MMR (McDowell Mountain Ranch) Loop - loops around a large portion of the MMR development.
    - Sunrise Trail - gains (or loses) 1000 feet in just a couple miles

I could go on for hours attempting to describe these rides, but you'll still get mixed up. There are signs with maps at the the 128th St. and Sunrise trailheads, and there will be one at 124th St. when it's finished. There are also some good signs out on the trails and more signs are going in. Keep sense of where you are. Maybe the locals and I will post up further, more detailed ride directions.

I also recommend you search this forum (Arizona) for titles and/or threads with the following keywords: Lost Dog, Lost Dog Wash, Sunrise, Sunrise Trail, McDowell Sonoran Preserve. You'll find some great and informative threads and posts, some with pictures.

Seasons/Hours/Misc.
    - Year-round, but when it's hot for you, be OFF the trail by 8 or 9 am. DO NOT underestimate the heat...and it's effect on you.
    - The Preserve closes at sunset, but locals ride at night EXCEPT for the portion of Sunrise Trail that drops down to the east into the Hidden Hills neighborhood. DO NOT ride there at night.
    - No pass or fees required...yet
    - Bring that 100 oz. Camelback...filled!
    - Tell someone where you're going

Always post up if you're riding and you may get some riding partners/tour guides. And heed all the cautions I noted!

Enjoy!
    Ride more; post less...

It rains here. :(

White Tanks Competitive Track

White Tanks Competitive Track

If you're new to riding and you're in Phoenix, go ride the beginner's paradise know as Pemberton. Upon successful completion of Pemberton, come to White Tanks. White Tanks is one of many "next step" rides in the Phoenix area. I ride white Tanks frequently because I work close to it. I feel that it offers a little bit of everything to everyone. It starts slow but once it gets going it offers good speed, lots of ups and downs, a few banked turns, a difficult climb, and some technical challenges. All this in a short track, can be a perfect introduction for a beginner or perhaps if your short on time.

Location - White Tanks Regional Park is located in the far west valley of Phoenix. It's part of the Maricopa County parks, and therefore costs you 5 bucks and the trails close at dark. White Tanks Competitive Track was designed for speed, so traffic goes one way, and it's one of only three trail systems in Phoenix where slower yields to faster.

Directions - Take I-101 west of I-17 to Olive Road. Continue west on Olive until you run directly into the park (Another option would be to take the 303 off of I-10 and go north, then west at Olive Road). Follow the main road once inside the park until it turns into a gravel road, this leads to the parking lot. The trailhead is in the Northwest corner of the gravel parking lot.

Length - At it's longest loop (staying to the left at each intersection) it is 6.3 miles. Shorten it or ride it twice depending on your ability. A good idea for beginners is to skip the Technical segment and the northern most part of the trail, this makes for a fast 5 mile loop. Average time for a beginner on the 5 mile loop is probably around 1 hour. The 6.3 mile loop takes probably about 1 hour and 30 minutes, due to the hills.

Difficulty - For the most part I'd rate White Tanks at the Beginner level with parts that require Intermediate or Advanced skill levels. White Tanks is mostly flat and smooth with numerous ups and downs through wash crossings. These crossings could cause problems for true beginners, but most wash crossings are fast with little to no loose rocks. If you pick a good line, normally your momentum will carry you through the wash. The washes here are continually getting more and more eroded, so take care to know the trail somewhat before you carry too much speed into some of the washes.

Also on the attached map, I have highlighted the most difficult of areas. The northern section of trail being the most difficult/dangerous. This area is reached by climbing some steep switchbacks, then heads downhill through a small canyon of sorts. The trail here is very rocky and in places becomes quite angled with some exposure to the left. Taking a wrong line while headed down through here could mean a crash. Also, don't be fooled by the Techncial loop section to the west, while it is harder than the rest of the trail, it isn't even in the same class as the northern most loop.

Safety - Uh yeah, this is Arizona so take water, helmet, and watch for snakes. Also this trail is sometimes quite deserted. It could be awhile for someone to find you if you go down on this trail and hurt yourself, so take a cell phone.

- Side note -

White Tanks has other trails besides the easy Competitive Track, for the stupid brave, check out the expert level Goat Camp, Ford Canyon, and others. Check out http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/white_tank for more information on where they are located in the park.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am Walt

McDowell Mountain Regional Park

This is another great Maricopa County Park. It is a few miles north of Fountain Hills, which is in the far Northeast Valley, east of Scottsdale. Here's a link to the park's homepage:
    http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/mcdowell/

Access
    - From the 101 in the East Valley, get to Shea Blvd. and go east
    - Or from Mesa or Payson, take 87 (Beeline Hwy) to Shea Blvd. and go west
    - In either case, take Shea to Fountain Hills Blvd. and go north
    - Follow Fountain Hills Blvd. through Fountain Hills for about three miles
    - Continue north out of Fountain Hills on Fountain Hills Blvd.
    - The park will be about 4-5 miles north of town on the left
    - You'll need to pay a $5 entry fee - either self-pay or pay an attendant, depending on the time of year.

- Trails are ONE WAY COUNTERCLOCKWISE
    - Pretty much all desert singletrack XC riding. A very fun riding experience.
    - Easy to moderate in nature, but you NEED to know how to handle your bike.
    - Not very rocky, though there are some rocky sections
    - Ride with a partner or bring your cell phone.
    - Lots of cacti - saguaro, cholla, etc. Use slime or thorn-resistant tubes.
    - Hardtails and SS's are fine; FS will be preferred if you're not used to desert riding.
    - Excellent workout riding where you can push yourself as hard and long as you want without ever having to dismount

Rides/Trails
    Competitive Tracks
    - Parking area will be on your left as you drive into the park.
    - Three loops that are built for racing, flow well, with few technical obstacles
    - Here's a link to a map of the Competitive Tracks:
    http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/mcdowe...e-track-2d.pdf
    Sport Loop
    - Park to the west end of the parking area
    - 3.1 mile loop
    - No technical obstacles
    Technical Loop
    - Park at the west end of the parking area
    - 3.0 mile loop
    - A couple steep, short sections towards the start, then a not-too-bad climb up a ridge with a sort-of-steep, loose downhill section on the backside of the ridge.
    Long Loop
    - Park to the east end of the parking area
    - 8.4 mile loop
    - One ledge to hop up about 3.5 miles in
    - One longer climb of note about halfway, lots of cobbles
    - Long, easy grade downhill after that climb, lots of rocky spots, mostly cobbles, ends in Cactus Corner
    - Lots of short ups and downs throughout
    Outer Loop
    - About 10.2 miles
    - This is a combination of the Sport, Tech and Long Loops
    - Make all right turns at the two trail junctions you will encounter - Sport to Tech to Long
    - This is the 24-hour race loop
    Pemberton Trail
    - Instead of pulling into the parking area for the Competitive Tracks, continue on the winding park road, past the Visitor Center.
    - Look for the right-hand turn to the Horse Staging Area (or something like that), continue to big parking area with facilities
    - 15.4 mile BI-DIRECTIONAL loop, most common way is clockwise
    - Easy riding, excellent for beginners
    - A couple harder-than-easy climbs that will tire out beginners
    - Clockwise ends in a long down-grade spin down a sandy jeep road, into some nice singletrack
    - Here's a link to a large-scale map; Pemberton is marked with PB:
    http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/mcdowe...l-11x17-2d.pdf

Seasons/Hours/Misc.
    - Year-round, but when it's hot for you, be OFF the trail by 8 or 9 am. DO NOT underestimate the heat...and it's effect on you.
    - The Park closes at sunset - NO NIGHT RIDING, though they host some moonlight rides on Pemberton during the summer months

Always post up if you're riding and you may get some riding partners/tour guides. And heed all the cautions I noted!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by waltaz; 12-20-2005 at 10:25 PM.
    Ride more; post less...

I am Doctor Remulak

Hawes/Twisted Sister/Wild Horse

The Hawes trail network is part of the Tonto National forest, is located in northeast Mesa and is filled with fun and relatively easy desert singletrack.

Access
    - Power Rd about 1 mile north of Thomas Rd and the Red Mtn Ranch/Las Sendas area. No real trailhead at this time, just pull off parking on the west side of the road just after crossing the canal.

- All singletrack XC riding, with some short rocky sections and some switchbacks.
    - Some moderate climbs throughout and a few sandy washes.
    - Other than the descent from the Mine Loop and Twisted Sister, it's all relatively easy to moderate riding, but you NEED to know how to handle your bike.
    - Has a backcountry kind of feel to it. Ride with a partner or bring your cell phone.
    - Lots of cacti - saguaro, cholla, etc. Use slime or thorn-resistant tubes or a tubeless system.
    - Suitable for hardtails, SS's and FS rigs.

Map courtesty of Epicrider

Rides/Trails
    - Standard Loop - enter from Power Rd and follow the Pig Trail to until it intersects with Hawes Trail. Follow Hawes trail over to the intersection with Saddleback Trail. Shortly after the switchbacks you come to an intersection, turn right to hit the Mine Loop. At the bottom of the Mine loop turn left and return to Power Rd via the Ridge Trail.
    - Twisted Sister/Wild Horse - make your way to the Mine Trail and about halfway up the climb you'll see a trail head off to the right, this is the start of Twisted Sister. Twisted Sister is a tight piece of singletrack that's fairly new to the system. Follow Twisted Sister to Big Rock (watch your speed in the tight corners) and head down to Wild Horse (there are actual wild horses out there!). Wild Horse is a gradual climb out to Usery Pass Rd and
    the NRA pit, and is a ton of fun on the way back. You can either head back via Big Rock and Twisted Sister or head out to Power Rd (also called Bush Highway).

There are many variations to be ridden in the Hawes trail system. Explore them all, it's pretty easy to navigate, and the Forest Service has recently added sign posts at trail intersections (although I don't know if they use the same trail names).

I also recommend you search this forum (Arizona) for titles and/or threads with the following keywords: Hawes, Twisted Sister, or Wild Horse. You'll find some great and informative threads and posts, some with pictures.

Seasons/Hours/Misc
    - Located in the Tonto National Forest
    - Watch out for hikers
    - Wear a helmet

Always post up if you're riding and you may get some riding partners/tour guides.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by AZ Mikey; 01-17-2006 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Added a title

viva la v-brakes!

SEDONA: the lowdown

The Area

The beauty of Sedona rivals most national parks. In addition to biking there are opportunties for hiking, canyoneering, climbing, fishing, photography and so forth. There are also many resorts and spas. It’s a good place to keep everyone in the family happy. The culture is a strange mix of old-west conservativism, outdoorsy ‘granola’ types and new-age hippy types.

There are two towns, but three town centers. Uptown Sedona is highest in elevation and the first you’ll run into rolling into the area from Oak Creek Canyon. Lots of tourist shops here. West Sedona has the grocery stores and most of the hotels and dining places. It is separated from uptown Sedona by a chunk of National Forest, and though these two areas in in two different counties they are still part of the same town. The Village of Oak Creek (VOC) is south of Sedona, on Highway 179, just south of Bell Rock and Courthouse Butte. This town has a little bit of everything you might need.

There is a Red Rock Fee to park on National Forest land around Sedana. This fee helps maintain the trail and trailhead facilities, it really does go to a good cause. You can buy them at any FS facility (including major trailheads) and at some shops and stores (such as Circle K). If your a cheap skate, however, you can park in a grocery store or bike shop parking lot and ride from there without fear of a ticket.

There are a lot of trails in Sedona that go into wilderness where no bikes are allowed. Keep yourself (and the MTB community) out of trouble and stay out of the wilderness.

Trails

Here are my three favorite rides in the area (in no particular order):

1) Broken Arrow (w/ Submarine Rock detour), Llama Loop, Templeton, Baldwin and back. If you don't have enough time to do a complete out and back, there are several short cuts you could take. Don't forget to take take a flop off the rope swing at Budda Beach.

2) Jordan, Tea Cup, Thunder Mountain, and back. A little bit shorter then the other two.

3) Up Schnebly Hill Road (or Munds Wagon Road Trail if you want a technical climbing challenge) to just past the overlook, then right on FR 153A, then right where it comes to a "T" (just past the fenced off radio or whatever equipment) then continue on down Schnebly Hill Trail, hit the road, and just 30 or so feet downhill from there continue on down the Munds Wagon Road Trail to the trailhead. This has some options, for example you can keep going down from the trailhead on Huckabee to the creek or turn off on Cow Pies and hook up with the "extreme" Damifino Trail, though its very hard to find.

The Girdner trailhead behind the cultural center will lead you to a substantial trail network. Also, check out the Carroll Canyon area trails, best accessed from the Shelby Dr. trailhead. A loop down there would probably be my number 4 favorite trail.

Check out the Arizona Trail Reviews for more info.

Trail Maps and Books

Emmitt Barks Cartagraphy, Cosmic Ray, Mountain Bike Heaven and Bear (something) Cartography all produce maps of the area. The Emmitt Barks map is the best for navigating since it’s a true scale map with contours, shaded relief, the whole nine yards. The Cosmic Ray map is less expensive and bike specific, but has a quant, cartoonish appearance that isn’t the best for navigating if you’re not familar with the area. Personally, I would buy both. The MTB Heaven map is also decent, however the Bear (something) Cartagraphy map is a crappy glorified USGS topo map with a few trails thrown in on it. Its so unimpressive, I can’t even remember the propper name!

Both Cosmic Ray and Paul Beakley have produced state-wide mountain bike books that highlight the best trails in the Sedona area. See the “Books” section in the post by Paul B above for more details.

Bear in mind that none of these maps or books have all of the trails in Sedona. The best of them have perhaps about 1/3 of the actual trail milage in them. This is because they only contain official network trails. There are many non-system trails which are legal to ride, and many of them are quite fun. Other non-network trails are miserable paths carved out by hikers, horseback riders and cattle. You will find plenty of fun riding to keep you busy for a solid week on the network trails, try not to get too distracted or get lost on side trails.

Tours

Sedona MTB Adventures offers mountain bike tours for anyone from complete novices looking for a slightly more interesting sight seeing tour to experienced, hard-core rider looking for the most challenging trails. The local knowledge keeps you from getting lost on the somewhat confusing trail network and you can learn a bit about geology, natural history, local history and so forth as you go, or you can just ride. I work for Sedona MTB Adventures as a guide, so I appologise if my description is especially glowing.

Bike and Bean also offers tours, appariently through 360 Adventures.

Additionally there are group rides leaving from Bike and Bean, MTB Heaven and possibly also Absolute Bikes, on most days.

Shops

Absolute Bikes (VOC): 928.284.1242
    Bike & Bean (VOC): 928.284.0210
    Mountain Bike Heaven (West Sedona): 928 282-1312

Camping

There are two locations for primitive camping near Sedona. The one I would recommend most is Forest Road 525/Red Canyon Road/Bill Gray Road 7 miles west of Sedona (4 miles past the high school) on Highway 89A. The other is an area called Beaver Head Flats, just south of Beaver Head Flats road on Hwy 179, south of VOC, (about a mile north of the intersection of I-17 and AZ 179). Neither of these places has water or other facilities, so you will have to pack it in and pack it out. These places are also further from trails, only kinda sorta within riding distance of a few trails. But its free camping so you get what you pay for.

Most of the commercial campgrounds in Sedona do not take tents. If you’re in a RV, there are several RV parks, contact the Sedona Chamber of Commerce for more information on these places. The Hawkeye RV park on the north end of Uptown Sedona is a bit dumpy, but they have tent camping for $18.88 per night. The phone number there is 928-282-2222. Showers available. If you’re camping elsewhere this is a good place to go sneek a shower. Just don’t tell them you heard that here.

The better campgrounds are run by the National forest. Chavez Crossing Group Campground is the perfect place for a group of riders (10 or more) to camp. At $55-75 a night, its a bit pricey, but there’s water, toilets, its located on Oak Creek, and best of all its within riding distance of all the trails. The rest of the campgrounds are up in Oak Creek Canyon, a beautiful area but futher from the trails. The Manzanita campground is the closest of these to town, only about 4-5 miles of road riding from there. Check out the Coconino National Forest Red Rock Recreation page for more info. I would recommend getting reservations (required for Chavez Crossing) in advance if you plan on being there over the weekend.

Lodging

There are plenty of expensive resort type places to stay at. If you're looking for something less expensive you can get away for about $60 a night at some of the motels further west in West Sedona (along 89A) and in the Village of Oak Creek. A nice, bike specific place is in the rooms above Bike & Bean in Oak Creek. Contact the Sedona Chamber of Commerce for more information on hotel accomidations in the area.

Eats

My place favorite is Mayan Taco, a good post-ride meal. The Red Planet Diner next to MTB Heaven is an interesting and tasty place to have dinner. Oak Creek Brewery has some good beer and food. There are many other options, I just don't eat out down there often.
    Last edited by FishMan473; 02-21-2006 at 09:23 AM.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473
    Also, check out the Carroll Canyon area trails, best accessed from the Shelby Dr. trailhead. A loop down there would probably be my number 4 favorite trail.
    I rode this loop a few weeks ago. As an out-of-towner, I'd just like to add that finding this trailhead isn't very easy. On the map it looks like it's just near the end of Shelby Drive. Approximately 100 feet after you pass Stanley Steamer drive, look for about a 3' wide gap on the right between a chainlink fence and a wall. This is right across from the recycling center. Ride down that gap about 60 feet or so and you'll find the trailhead. And yeah, it was a great little loop.

And many thanks to the guy who was dropping off his recycling to point it out to me. I must have looked lost.

Ouch, I am hot!

Phoenix Hidden Gem - T100 System

The T100 System is, in my opinion, the true hidden gem of Phoenix mountain bike riding. It has unjustly been the victim of much criticism by many of the local gurus and greenhorns alike. I believe the belittling is largely due to the fact that most of its critics never venture off of the main trail (Trail 100 proper) to explore the many options and side trails this system has to offer. It’s in the middle of Phoenix. It’s easy to get to. It’s large. The hikers are less hostile than many other places in Phoenix. It’s two blocks from my house! Here is a description:

Ride Difficulty - Beginner to Advanced. This trail system has it all, at least in small bits. There are easy beginner trails to hard advanced trails. Most of it fits into intermediate riding, largely due to the fact that it is rockier, with many heavy shale and loose sections, than most areas within the Phoenix vicinity. There is not much “real” climbing, but some nice hills that can put on the burn (legs and lungs). Any rider of any skill can hit the system and have a blast. But it is rocky, and can be a bit harsher on the body than some of the other “smoother” beginner trails in Phoenix. I always bring plenty of water (at least 100oz), especially during March through October.

Trailhead Directions. There are several trailhead options, and quite frankly, I am not a good “directions” guy. One of the main trailheads is at the Dreamy Draw Recreation Center, which is near 19th Street and Northern Avenue. From this intersection, head east on Northern to the parking lot at the end (Northern turns into a short, twisty, small road),
    or take the Northern exit from the Squaw Peak Freeway (51) and head east and follow the signs. Go riding from the parking lot. You can take trails heading east or west. East is more popular. To go east, head past the ramadas located to the southeast and get on the sidewalk/bike path for a brief moment. You should see a single-track to your left, go there. It starts with a climb, but it’s worth it. You can also access the east end of the main trail, T100, at Tatum and Tomahawk, where there is a small parking lot (5 spots). Tomahawk is south of the Tatum and Shea intersection. It’s hard to spot, so keep an eye out. There is also a large lot at the end of 40th Street. From the 40th Street and Tatum intersection, head south on 40th Street to the very end. Park and ride. There are many other access points, but I have had enough.

Ride Directions. I am not going to get into detailed ride descriptions. There are too many small options and side trails, and I get a headache every time I try. You can take T100 and stick to it. It’s 11 miles end to end. Follow the signs. I almost never stick to T100. There are also many signed and unsigned options off of T100. This is where much of the good stuff is. Just get there and explore. Don’t be afraid. It’s hard to get lost. 8 and 8A are good trails. 1A is good. Many others. Just ride and explore, please.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Sam
    Post Deleted
    Last edited by scrat; 09-26-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Information no longer valid.

Live, Freeze, and Ride

Fantasy Island

Fantasy Island(found at the South end of Harrison Rd) is a great loop trail system that borders the "Boneyard" for the USAF, in SE Tucson, and most of it can be ridden by all levels. This trail is easy but gets harder the faster you go. The trail was concieved and built by Chuck Boyer (I hope memory serves), a man now in his sixites(?) that routinely went by in a blur. I don't know him but know who he is, and after following him, I can tell you he can ride!
    The trail is on State land and requires a permit ($20/yr - well worth it - permit good on any state land). Please get one as there has been controversy - Team ______ showed up hit trails with 20+ people and no permits, all while the trail system was under threat of development. They aren't the only ones, just ones I know about, and ones who should know better. I beleive it is safe for the moment thanks to locals and IMBA.
    Anyway, it's quick, twisty, sometimes sandy in spots, and pretty techinical at times (through the washes). It's a good intro to desert riding - roadrunners, rattlers, and cacti. The main loop is 6mi long, with another 6mi(?) available. One way only (it's a bummer but you can feel alone on a crowded trail that way). Good training spot. Watch out for the big piles of cow ___.
    Enjoy!
    Thumb Butte (Prescott) area is fun too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Saucy Size
    I'm going to make this a "seasonal sticky," and keep it on the page while we have out of staters looking for this information. As things cool down, I'll pull it back off and make more above-the-fold room for new threads.

p.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Is running slime a must in Flag or Sedona? I don't have a tubeless setup and heard to be prepared for flats. Truth to this? is it thorns or cactus? Looking forward to the beautiful South West Thanks!
    Enjoy every ride!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by m-dub
    Is running slime a must in Flag or Sedona? I don't have a tubeless setup and heard to be prepared for flats. Truth to this? is it thorns or cactus? Looking forward to the beautiful South West Thanks!
    Not required at all in Flag. In Sedona just be sure to stay on the trails... thorns (from cacti and other pointy plants) and debris tend to get brushed aside by the foot and bike traffic. I rode for years in AZ with no slime. Recently I did go slime and noticed a decrease in flats in the Phx area, but there is no rule that says you must slime to enjoy. Just be sure to carry plenty of spare tubes (two at a min) and a patch kit on your rides. A good rule of thumb in AZ is to touch nothing... In other climates you can brush by folliage and it gives. In AZ everything is pointy and sharp and will hurt you.

weirdo
    First things first- thanks a lot for the info here. It was a great help in planning our Sedona trip, both for bike related and non bike related issues. I have a few comments/suggestions for inclusion to offer that will hopefully add to the good stuff you already have here.

1. We ended up with several "freebie" maps, the best being this one by USFS:
    http://redrockcountry.org/maps/big-map.shtml
    It was more usefull for hiking and mtb than most maps or guides I`ve actually shelled out money for (though I didn`t try any Sedona guides). You already have a link to a site that could probably have gotten me indirectly to this map (the ROG links), but I didn`t see the map when I originally followed the existing link. The same map is also free on line in PDF, but I try to avoid PDF with my slow connection.

2. The third post in your sticky has links to other mtbr threads for various subjects. None of the Sedona links worked for me and I don`t know if it`s because the links are actually "broken" or just because there aren`t any threads linked to them yet.

3. Lo Lo Mai Springs resort- the only place I was able to find that offers tent camping in conjunction with shower and laundry facilities. We stayed there and I recomend the place to anyone else who wants to tent camp and still have convenient shower access. Unfortunately, it would probably be a good hour`s ride by fat tired bike from West Sedona, but only fifteen minutes or so by car. They also offer RV spaces and a small number of cabins. Very pretty and reasonable prices.
    www.lolomai.com (982) 634-4700
    Note: One of the posts for Sedona info (by FishMan473) mentions the Hawkeye RV Park as another tent campsite with showers. I could be mistaken, but it seems to be out of business now.

Thanks again for all the info. I hope you can use some of mine.
    Brian, Reno NV
    Recalculating....

mtbr member

Sedona Ride Options

Here is one of my favorite loops in the Sedona Area. Start by staging either at Bike & Bean or Absolute Bikes in the Village of Oak Creek. I like Bike and Bean cause they have a nice cup of java after the ride.
    Mileage is about 15 miles, rating is easy to intermediate. I have taken my wife (novice +)on this ride and she does walk the technical sections, but still has a good time. Everyone I've taken on this ride comes back happy and I seem to ride this trail alot when I'm down there. Basically the trails are; Bell Rock Pathway (BRP) to Templeton, to Cathedral Rock, to Back-O-Beyond Road, to BRP, to Littlehorse, to Llama, BRP, and return to your car.
    Okay, here is some more detail. When I ride up BRP to the crest of the trail where all the tourists stop, park and walk into bell rock, I take the left track that borders the fence and down west of the main BRP path. Nice and smooth. It shows on the E. Barks map. Continue down the trail to the left leading to Templeton going under hwy 179. Look for the technical rock "ladder"(lack of a better term) just off the concrete undercut. Impress your buddies by riding down this feature. They will want to do the same once you do it.
    Okay now up the trail and you will now be detoured under the new section of hwy 179 and another underpass. Ride and have fun til' you reach the Cathedral Rock trail. You will know it because there a billion tourists clammering around. Go down the technical steps and the tourists will take pictures of you and your buddies riding prowess. BUT be prepared to run into grannies, dogs, kids, women in high heels, climbers, new agers, old agers, tour busses, and maybe a jeep tour or two. Thankfully this is only a quarter mile or so.
    Now follow the paved road (Back-O-Beyond) up the hill and cross highway 179. On the right is a church, follow along the left(north) side of the church up a gravel road which shortly becomes the trail. The trail winds around the back of the church and links into the FS trailhead parking lot at the end of the BRP. Flow along, fade left and down into the wash the trail goes. Now you are on Little Horse. Up and over the steps, finally you will run into Llama on your right. Now what I like to do is keep going up Little Horse to Chicken Point and have a break and a snack. Your visitors will want to take photos too. Watch out for the pink jeeps!
    Alright, after the needed break I ride back down Little Horse (the way I came up) and join up onto Llama. At one point on the trail (one mile in), it is easy for some folks to miss the need to stay left or you will be punted back down to BRP. Look for the big prickly pear cactus on the left. The last mile of Llama is much more fun than the first mile. Near the end of a fun downhill section you will enter into a dry streambed. Make the left in the wash onto the main trail heading south (aim towards courthouse butte). Make the second left and join up with the Courthouse Butte Loop trail. This quickly joins onto the BRP. Follow this around to familiar terrain, the parking area I described before at Bell Rock. Now just before you crest the saddle on the BRP, look for the bike tracks on the right leading onto the horse trail between the highway and BRP. Follow this fun little section down to where it joins back onto the BRP. Cross directly over and onto the Courthouse Butte Loop trail. Go . 3 mile and turn right and follow this fun little downhill trail all the way back to the developed trailhead at Bell Rock. Then its an easy coast back to your car. Remember the coffee at B&B.

mtbr member

Another Sedona ride

Here is another of my favorite Sedona rides. Mileage varies between 15-20 miles depending on what trails you choose to take along the way. I use the E. Barks map. Difficulty is intermediate overall but can be rocky, small ledges, and sandy in places. Again, I have taken my wife (novice rider) along and she did not grumble too much but had to walk her bike in a couple of places. She enjoyed it! However, I will not take her up the two fences trail. She did not give a thumbs up rating to that POS.
    I park at the "Thunder Mountain" official trailhead, just off Thunder Mountain Road. You can also park next to the water tank off Andante Road. The general layout is a clockwise route of Chimney Rock, Girdner, Rupp, Cockscomb, Deadman Pass, Az Cypress, and back to the car. These are all great trails but the one downer is the necessary use of the Dry Creek road along the way. However, if there was a little more development of a faint trail that lies off of FS road 9908 (near the junction of Dry Creek Road and FS road #152) one could link singletrack from there to the trailhead at Long Canyon, thus avoiding most of the pavement on Dry Creek Road. What starts out as a trail finally fades along the streambed of Dry Creek. Finding a path from the stream to the road at Long Canyon Trailhead is a bushwack. Its been a couple of seasons since I have tried this trail and wonder is things have changed? Any other riders been using this trail?
    Anyway, take the Lower Chimney Rock trail clockwise to the westmost point and onto Dry Creek Road. Follow the pavement to Girdner. Down Girdner to Rupp. It can be sandy down at the bottom in Dry Creek, during the dryer season, so keep that in mind. Okay, up Rupp to Cockscomb and onto the newly paved road. Pedal right (east) to Deadman Pass trail which leads to Long Canyon. Back onto the pavement to the junction of DCR and FS #9589. Onto the AZ Cypress trail. This is good is the sand is moist and hardpack, but is not fun if dry and loose. And it is really not fun during or shortly after a heavy downpour. Follow this to that little cutoff (Snake?) to Girdner and back to Chimney Rock. There are a lot of variations one can do here to add more milage. Once back at Chimney Rock, intermediate Riders will want to go up to the saddle between little sugarloaf and chimney rock (the middle trail, not upper since that crosses "wilderness"). Novice riders will want to go back down to lower chimney rock. Again, my spouse gave me a talkin' to when I told her that it would be "fun".
    The nice thing about parking here at Thunder Mountain that it is a short trip to Oak Creek Brewery off of Yavapai Drive.
    Last edited by Chalkpaw; 12-30-2007 at 09:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Bike steup

This seems to be misssing from this thread. What are the ideal bike setups for this area? We're coming down to Flagstaff and maybe Sedona for five daysthis april(15-19). I usaually ride a 6&6 around home for XC trails around home, but have a 4&4 for smoother stuff. What should I bring for the must hit rides in these areas. Should we go anywhere else? We have five days not incuding drive to and from Idaho. Thanks for the advice.

Archie

viva la v-brakes!
    Archie, it really depends on your riding style and what you're looking for. I've ridden in both towns on bikes ranging from a 5x5 bike to a fully rigid single speed. I think you will find that many people prefer hardtails or short travle FS bikes in Flagstaff because there is so much climbing to do, and yet there are several trails there that will test your 6x6 set up to its limits. There is less climbing (shorter climbs anyway) and universally rough terrain in Sedona so longer travel FS bikes are preferred there. Its a vacation so take the bike you think you will have the most fun on.

Air Sucker
    Archie, Your answer depends on what trail you are riding.
    Pemberton McDowell, T100 and most of the haws area a 4x4 would work fine.
    Other sections of trail around Haws and most of South Mountain you will be glad you brought the 6x6.

If you want smoth and fast stick to the 4x4 trails, if you want big drops and tech stuff ride all over South Mtn with your 6x6 and a helmet.
    Just a bald guy biking the blubber away

Scott
    Gilbert, AZ

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    This seems to be misssing from this thread. What are the ideal bike setups for this area? We're coming down to Flagstaff and maybe Sedona for five daysthis april(15-19). I usaually ride a 6&6 around home for XC trails around home, but have a 4&4 for smoother stuff. What should I bring for the must hit rides in these areas. Should we go anywhere else? We have five days not incuding drive to and from Idaho. Thanks for the advice.

Archie
    You can ride and enjoy just about everything with a 3" SS hardtail. For SoMo up on the mountain and Goat Camp, you'll appreciate the 6/6, though there are some that ride National et al on rigid hardtails.
    Ride more; post less...

Dawn to Dust MTB Club

Smile Sierra Vista MTB Club

Sierra Vista / Ft Huachuca Area, South East Arizona

Dawn to Dust Mountain Bike Club www.dawntodust.org

Group Rides, Ride Calendar, Photos & More

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trails Near Westin Kierland - Scottsdale

First of all, thank you for having this as a sticky. I'm actually looking for advice in terms of should I rent a car to transport my bike from the hotel. I will be at the Westin Kierland for business at the end of March and found out I will have some downtime to ride (Yeaah!). Long story short, I was in the Phoenix area two years ago and rented a FS bike and rode South Mountain.

I had a blast but missed my Blur LT back in Georgia. Well, I know have a bike case and will have my Blur shipped. My question: should I rent a car to drive to some of the awesome trails near Scottsdale or are there any trails I could ride to from the hotel. I don't mind doing a little roadie work to get to the trails.

Thanks in Advance.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Shoo Pork
    First of all, thank you for having this as a sticky. I'm actually looking for advice in terms of should I rent a car to transport my bike from the hotel. I will be at the Westin Kierland for business at the end of March and found out I will have some downtime to ride (Yeaah!). Long story short, I was in the Phoenix area two years ago and rented a FS bike and rode South Mountain.

I had a blast but missed my Blur LT back in Georgia. Well, I know have a bike case and will have my Blur shipped. My question: should I rent a car to drive to some of the awesome trails near Scottsdale or are there any trails I could ride to from the hotel. I don't mind doing a little roadie work to get to the trails.

Thanks in Advance.
    The McDowells (Sunrise, Lost Dog, etc) are not too far from there, probably riding distance. PM WaltAZ, he can probably give you the scoop.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Tucson, AZ

TUCSON lowdown

mtbr member

Cheers for the guidance

Thaks chaps!

I read through this thread when I got my trip to Phoenix confirmed. As a result I got in touch with Fish at Cactus bikes. When I arrived in Phx I got to his shop and he lent me a Giant Trance XO, some flat tyre stuff and a camelbak and kicked me out of the door. He recomended the dessert classic trail as I wanted something fast and flowy - plus it was only about half a mile from the shop so I just rode the bike up the road to the trailhead and span out past some of the Indian Petroglyphs for an out-n-back of 23 miles or so.

What can I say? It was exactly what I was looking for; fast, meandering singletrack through the cacti with nice berms, little hucks, fantastic weather, a nice breeze and friendly peeps on the trail.

I got a pinch flat from a bit of a hard landing but I had the schtuff to fix it so no probs.

All told it was just shy of 25 miles, 2k feet of climbing and about 2.5 hours ride time out 'n' back from the shop. Just the perfect ride before I met up with my mates for astag/bachellor party that weekend!

Thanks again for the info. I live in dirty Jersey now so if any of you head out that way and want to experience what it's like to ride under tree cover and in teperatures less than 100 degrees then let me know!! Cheers!

mtbr member
    Question about timing.
    Hello, I am coming to Arizona for about a week long bike trip this winter, probably in January or February. Can anyone offer their thoughts about which place, Tuscon or Sedona, would be more fun to spend a week in? I ride an all mountain bike and love the downhills but don't mind pedaling it on 25+ mile rides.
    Thanks!

viva la v-brakes!
    Sedona is spotty in winter. When I lived in Flagstaff I would go down there to ride all the time when the snow and mud covered the trails in Flag. But there would be days, even weeks at a time when the trails were too snowy or (usually) wet in Sedona as well. Also, check the average weather there for that time of year, it is a bit cool, in the 50's for highs, and some people don't want to go someplace on vacation for that.

My advice would be to spend most of your trip in Tucson or someplace else down low and have a flexible schedule to try to work 2-3 days in Sedona in at some point when the weather looks clear.

mtbr member

Flagstaff to Grand Canyon - EPIC

Description
    Where do I start, the Arizona Trail is amazing. The Arizona Trail actually goes from Mexico to Utah but we just rode the northern part. We started around 7,000 in Flagstaff, Arizona. We did the Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon ride in 2 days. Day one, from Flagstaff to Moqui Station and Day 2 from Mogi to the Grand Canyon, Grand view lookout, and then over to the south rim area. A total of 80 miles. The first 50 miles is mostly fire road and the last 20miles is amazing twisty up and down single track through pine trees.

Day one, 50.5 miles, we started on Heart Prairie road just west of the San Francisco Peaks. Nice pine trees and good road uphill for about 3 miles. At about 10 miles you start dropping out of the pine trees and pass through a burn area. Looks like another planet. As you come out of the ponderosa pine you hit the VERY bumpy fire road. Suspension would be nice for this part, I was on a rigid single speed and it hurt. You are pretty much downhill for about 20 more miles. Watch your map or GPS carefully as there are lots of roads. The ride is relatively flat the next 20 miles to Moqui station, a few small ups and downs. It is kind of uneventful, just fire road with some beautiful views of the San Francisco Peaks, and huge prairies. You kind of feel like a cowboy without a horse. We camped at Moqui station. I have done the ride the opposite way, from the Grand Canyon to Flagstaff, in one day and I would have much rather split it up. Much more fun and relaxing.

Day two, 30 miles, this is where you start the good single track. Very fun, small untraveled trail. It is just amazing up and down twisty single track through the pine trees. I absolutely love this part of the ride. It is a gradual climb up but I hardly realized I was having so much fun. I dont know what mile but you hit Russell Tank a great spot for a rest. At 20 miles you hit the Grand view lookout, a tall fire lookout station. A few more miles and you arrive at the Grand View lookout for the Canyon, amazing. Thats a big hole. We continued another 10 miles west of pavement to the south rim area.

Bring lots of water, stash some prior to the ride by car if you can. It can get hot out there, especially out on those prairies without a tree in site. Bring spare parts. Flats can be very common with all the cacti, we all rode with slime.

Directions to Trailhead
    I cant provide detailed directions at this time. To get to Heart Prairie road take 180 north out of Flagstaff about 10 miles. You then head north .

mtbr member

Desert Advice

Great sticky! One thing it seems to be missing though... a bit of warning, at least for those coming to the grand Sonoran:

As a friend of mine once put it... EVERYTHING IN THE DESERT BITES.
    Including... Animals (Obvious), Plants (not just the cactus, but every tree, bush and weed), and the ground (rocks hurt a lot worse than dirt, the sharp ones in particular).

Remember, the desert doesn't just have a reputation for being harsh, hot and unforgiving - it really is. And people really die every year from underestimating it. Before riding, take a look around the internet and find out a bit about sonoran desert terrain and critters. A few bike related dangers:

-Dehydration (drink lots of water for a few hours before going on a ride - if you wait till you get thirsty on your ride it will be far too late)

-Heat exhaustion (if you start feeling dizzy and getting a headache stop and take a rest in some shade. Drink some water and cool off. Bad cases cause people to pass out.)

-Falling in general is more dangerous. A good trip into a cholla cactus will earn you a medivac Take it slow and be careful.

-The desert is 10 times as dangerous at night, as most animals are smart and avoid the daytime heat (diamondback rattlesnake anyone?). Its great to ride at dusk to avoid the hottest temps, but make sure to plan thoroughly and leave time for mishaps. Bring a flashlight.

-finally, sharp rocks and cactus throns don't do much good for tires. Be prepared with extra tubes and patches.

All that being said, its an extremely beautiful place, and home to some great riding. With a little preparation, you'll have a great time, but without it you might have a really bad day.

mtbr member
    Sonoran Desert Mountain Bicyclists has a whole bunch of ride descriptions with pics, directions, elevations and many have GPS data available. Great resource, and not just because i'm a Board Member. Email me (webmaster) through the site and we'll hook you up with some great rides and riders if you want.

TucsonMTB was formed by a few SDMB members who wanted a more local forum-based discussion group. There is a growing trail description section but it's mostly for folks to hang out and talk about the local trails. It is a great resource...
    Sonoran Desert Mountain Bicyclists - www.sdmb.org
    Board member Web Guru

------
    www.tucsonmtb.com

Kathleen in AZ

Sedona mappage

Check out the maps of Sedona by Dale and Fishman on Dale's website www.singletrack.us (click on Jen's butt to enter site). Traildoc has been doodling on Fishman's map and there was this tread where he'd post his doodles and then I'd do an overlay onto Dale's map. Let's just say it's a work in progress and ride at your own risk, but lots of trails are highlighted here that you'll find on no other map:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...77348#poststop
    Last edited by DurtGurl; 08-10-2009 at 02:13 PM.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek920
    Timber Mesa.

anyone have decent directions on how to get there?

MCDowell Mountains

Suggestions on where to park and where the trail heads are?
    For the White Mtns (Timber Mesa) see the TRACKS website
    http://www.tracks-pinetop-lakeside.org/trail1.htm

For McDowell Mtns you enter the park (bring your $6) and there is only one trail head for the 3 competitive loops. It's obvious. They all start and end at that TH.

mtbr member

Camping in the greater Phoenix area?

We're thinking of visiting Phoenix over the holidays to check out the riding. This sticky is a great resource and my thanks go out to all who have made it so useful.

Are there any reliable camping options around any of the trailheads? My only memory of Phoenix is that it goes on forever and I am afraid there won't be any options that are easy to find without good advice. Thanks in advance for any info.
    there can be only one... track

Staggering sober

permits

Quote Originally Posted by lobolator
    The trail is on State land and requires a permit ($20/yr - well worth it - permit good on any state land).
    Is there a single day permit? I don't live there and don't want to pony up twenty dollars to ride for one day, though don't mind making a fair contribution.

Tim
    "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword, the other is by debt."
    -John Adams 1753-1826

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    I'm appreciating the AZ weather and trails more and more with every winter I spend here. http://betterride.net/blog/2011/grea...-destinations/
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

mtbr member

Birth Certificate

Do I need to bring my birth certificate if I'm riding trails near the border?

I'm a person of color.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo

I'm a person of color.
    Wow.

Unfortunately in AZ, passport or birth certificate when you are by the border and of color is always a good thing.
    LeBike
    None of those things are documents!! How stupid are you????

Tough as Nails
    Chalkpaw, Thanks for the great route! Stayed an extra day and decided to do this ride to wrap up our vacation. Loved Templeton and the incredible views and slick rock trail riding. Didn't end up riding the Little Horse/Llama loop, as my camera/phone worked its way out of my jersey pocket and was lost, so we high-tailed it back down the BRP to try to track it down. Apparently someone found it (screen was cracked), but we could never find that person and they apparently didn't feel a need to leave it at the trailhead (was lost near Cathedral Rock) or turn it in anywhere. Mostly bummed about losing all my fantastic trail pictures. Oh well, guess we'll need to head back to Sedona to ride the trails again and get more pics! Enjoy your beautiful area and awesome trail system!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo

I'm a person of color.
    Please make sure it's the "long form."

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

South Mountain - Need Recommendation

Hey locals...need your help. I'm out from NorCal visiting family for a few days and need a ride. Given the temp I'm thinking I'll have to head out around 5am or so but need a recommendation for a bike shop to rent an all-mountain bike from and a trailhead to use somewhere on the Tempe side of South Mountain. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    tred light if your going to Fantasy island. went out today and it was pretty slopy. Love the weather though

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am newish to the area and I am looking for riding partners. I am a XC rider training for 12 and 24 hour events. I like to go long, fast and in the dark. I am also trying to find new trails so if you know trails I am down to go. Mondays and Tuesday I am free all day (wife permitting) and Sunday mornings work well as I don't have to be at work till noon. Other than that most evenings after 6:30 (quitting time) I am ready to role. If you want, call or text me at 907.360.1360. I live in Tucson, and have ridden Fantasy, Sweetwater and Starr Pass so far for in town trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I know this post will get deleted but it is a desperate cry for help! Every States's discussions should have a sticky like this!. Well done Arizona! How about it be Oregon, the next state to follow AZ's example of what an informative thread should be???? Hint, hint, Oregon. ;-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

50+ Rider Group

Looking for 50+ riders in the Phoenix area for weekend or late weekday rides. Phoenix Mountain Preserve, McDowell, Dynamite

mtbr member
    MTB Heaven is no longer in West Sedona but Over the Edge is...
    OTE Sedona AZ -1695 West Hwy 89A, Sedona AZ 86336 - 928-282-1106
    sedona@otesports.com - Jason First and Michael Raney
    Mountainbike Destinations | Fruita, CO | Hurricane, UT | Sedona, AZ | Melrose, South Australia | OTE Sports
    that is all
    Troy

[I]Over the Edge Sports - Fruita - Sedona - Hurricane - Melrose
    www.otesports.com

Rides the Desert
    Black Canyon Trail is awesome

mtbr member
    Awesome Post guys!
    My favorite trail when I'm in town is Desert Classic. It's a nice ride, not too difficult. Great for an after work ride.

Sunshine Coast, B.C.
    Dec 2011

Sedona Riding

I just completed 4 days of awesome riding in Sedona and I must say Sedona has it ALL!

Special thanks to TrailDoc for showing me some of the best and most memorable trails I have ever ridden.

Sedona has spectacular (high and narrow) side-of-ridge riding [Highline, Hog Heaven]; flowy single track [Special Ed, Aerie - smooth red dirt riding!]; epic rides like what I would call the "Wild West" [Chuck Wagon, Gunslinger, Mescal, Aerie, Cockscomb, Western Civilization, Last Frontier].

You need a good detailed map (check out TrailDoc's maps: sites.google.com/site/sedonamountainbikingtrails/home or Over the Edge bike shop) and good map reading and trail navigation skills as all of the best (i.e., non-system) trails are unmarked. Be sure to get some pointers from one of the local bike shops. You may be lucky enough to hook up with a local rider who knows the trails. For ride suggestions check out: w w w.everytrail.com/my_trips.php?user_id=149956 .

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Might as well bookmark this here - some suggested trail rides with the guidance of traildoc Sedona - Mecca in the Midst of Time - Pinkbike.com
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

my dog's Frisbee launcher

City of Prescott Trail maps

Trails - City of Prescott, Arizona

also there is an awesome paper map called
    "City of Prescott,Trails and Outdoor Recreation Map"
    http://www.cityofprescott.net/_d/bik..._bothsides.pdf
    cost is a buck, you can pick one up at High Gear Bike Shop or any of the local bike shops.
    BTW, it has the Whiskey course mark in red

Cheers to fun rides
    Darwin was an Optimist

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Thinking about going to Phoenix (Mesa to be exact) in late March/early April for spring break and do some riding. My Aunt lives in Northeast Mesa just off the 202. She also has a house at Pinetop I believe so that's an option, but I don't know what's up there. I imagine Phoenix to have lots of great riding areas, and I know there are some that I could ride out from her house to.

Just wondering if there are at least enough DH style stuff. I hate riding uphill, especially with my bike setup the way it is. I do trudge uphill every now and then to get to the good riding trails though. I'm from Texas, so the heat shouldn't kill me, and I ride in NorCal now, so I'm used to some steep trails.

Anyways, this thread looks helpful, but some of the stuff is pretty old and wanted to make sure it's still relevant. Oh, and I'll have a car so I don't mind driving.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Ride Less
    May 2011
    In Mesa, you'll be very close to Pass Mountain and Hawes, you could potentially ride to the TH depending on where she lives. While not DH, both areas are really fun. Gold Mountain is another area to check out around there.

In Pinetop, Sunrise will likely still be covered in snow. If you came during the Summer, you could take your bike on the lift and get some DH runs. There are XC trails up there too. Los Burros, Blue Ridge and Panorama come to mind, but they're not really "destination" trails and who knows what condition they'll be in that time of year.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by PHX NOT LA View Post
    In Mesa, you'll be very close to Pass Mountain and Hawes, you could potentially ride to the TH depending on where she lives. While not DH, both areas are really fun. Gold Mountain is another area to check out around there.

In Pinetop, Sunrise will likely still be covered in snow. If you came during the Summer, you could take your bike on the lift and get some DH runs. There are XC trails up there too. Los Burros, Blue Ridge and Panorama come to mind, but they're not really "destination" trails and who knows what condition they'll be in that time of year.
    Thanks! I think I saw Hawes, and according to the map I looked at, It's a couple minutes from her house. This map showed the location as Busy Hwy though, while the text suggested something else.

I looked at Sunrise also, but I noticed lots of snow currently. Also, I read something about lift rules, and if I remember correctly I don't pass the no single rings in the front. Unless this rule has changed.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You brought up some of the most important points that I learned on my own when I moved to Arizona and started riding. The weather is a blessing and a curse depending on when you are here and you will quickly learn to bring a comb with you to help when you get stuck with a cholla!! I wish I had read this thread years ago.

mtbr member

Sedona/VOC lodging?

Is Sedona Village Lodge accepable stay on the cheap or total dive to avoid at all costs? I like to stay in Village of Oak Creek vs Sedona proper and usuallly stay at Wildflower Inn, suits me fine, but coming a little later in the season (March) this year and can't really afford to stay there with other expenses (air, car, etc), so considering staying at Sedona Village Lodge instead this year, unless it is really dirty of course.

Thx for any feedback.
    JG
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    i reccomend doing EVERYTHING through: Mountain Bike Shuttles, Private Tours, Road Trips, Bike Rentals & More - Gnar Gnar Tours
    they are a little southwest of fountain hills, but the best service is by them and they shuttle the gnarliest trails in the area.

white mountains

White Mountains AZ... high altitude MTB'ing.

VISITORS READ HERE FIRST: Local riding advice-white_mtn_trails_map_lg.jpg

Come on up!
    A high of 75 degrees keeps you "cool" on the trails...
    ...and there are many.

The Next 100 Miler
    Probably not. Flagstaff is at 7,000' and Sedona is 5,000'. A lot of the Flagstaff riders go to Sedona to ride in the winter because that 2,000' of elevation can make a difference in snow accumulation and temps.

Quote Originally Posted by coloskifreak View Post
    Great information! Was just about to post that I was gonna be in Sedona in Jan, where should I ride. Thanks for taking care of that. Looking forward to my trip. Is Flagstaff still rideble in early January? I am guessing not but would like confirmation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Good day folks.

Will be out in AZ next week for about 10 days. Hope to get in at least a couple of days of biking. Will be based out of Buckeye for about half the time, then up to Sedona.

Will be doing some hikes with the family in the White Tank mountains area and likely biking there as well. Some of the trails look great. TrailForks has a huge list of trails showing. Perhaps Sonaran loops one day then Goat Camp another.

Is Goat Camp ridden from the parking lot, west towards Ford/Willow/Mesquite Canyon trails area?

What I haven't found yet, is a good place to rent a good quality trail bike in the immediate area. Still not 100% certain on what our rental cars will be capable of carrying, so the closer to the riding area the better off.

Any help on bike shop rentals close to White Tank mtns?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Good day folks.

Will be out in AZ next week for about 10 days. Hope to get in at least a couple of days of biking. Will be based out of Buckeye for about half the time, then up to Sedona.

Will be doing some hikes with the family in the White Tank mountains area and likely biking there as well. Some of the trails look great. TrailForks has a huge list of trails showing. Perhaps Sonaran loops one day then Goat Camp another.

Is Goat Camp ridden from the parking lot, west towards Ford/Willow/Mesquite Canyon trails area?

What I haven't found yet, is a good place to rent a good quality trail bike in the immediate area. Still not 100% certain on what our rental cars will be capable of carrying, so the closer to the riding area the better off.

Reposted so this would be at the end of the list not in the middle. thx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
    Good day folks.

Reposted so this would be at the end of the list not in the middle. thx
    Try this FB group- they live and ride out there and will have the answers you need-good luck! https://www.facebook.com/groups/160049124171820/
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hello All -

I get out to Scottsdale every year around the holidays and spend a few days riding. I can ride Lost Dog and Sunrise from the house, also frequent Brown's Ranch and the McDowell Mountain Preserve out past Fountain Hills.

Last year I climbed Sunrise and continued to take the trail around the back side of the mountain eventually riding past the access road to Thompson Peak and linking eventually with trail that I think is Gateway (could be wrong with that) before making the climb to the Taliesen Overlook and finishing with the Lost Dog Wash trails. I had maps from various sources and had ridden or hiked a good # of the trails previously.

What I am looking for is one, comprehensive map of all the trails and how they can all be connected. I know that this is every changing - the # of trails keeps increasing each time I return. But I thought I remembered stumbling across a map that was produced by a local bike shop - I cannot find it now. Does this map exist? Is my memory way off?

Will be back Dec 21-Jan 3. Looking forward to some desert riding as a change of pace from the East Coast.

Thanks for the help!

Kris

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Hi everyone. Well after 20 minutes trying to figure out this site I have finally found a place to type a question...technology....ughh.
    I am hoping to talk to someone concerning bike packing the entirety of the Arizona Trail. Current plans are to do it in early May. I have some questions about weather that time of year in AZ, as well as the potential of super muddy conditions there on the shoulder season.

If you can help me please type here...but the likelihood of me actually finding this spot again to read your response is in question...so I can be reached via email, then perhaps we could talk on the phone (preferred method of communication). becker_jason@sbglobal.net

Thanks everyone.