mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Visiting Tucson for 2 weeks.

Iíll be in Tucson from the 5th to the 19th for work. My schedule is such that I get off early enough to be able to ride just about everyday. For the first week, Iíll probably ride the shorter, and (what seems like easy) trails in the area to get acclimated to the elevation, lack of humidity, and temperatures. I really want to do the Full Lemmon Drop on the 12th or 13th.

Can anyone recommend a shuttle service that can drop me off at the top of Mt. Lemmon? I reached out to Homegrown MTB and they said they need a minimum of 4 riders. And I guess they also suspend riding on the lower part of the mountain when temps hit 100 degrees. While they do offer guided riding, thatís not really my speed. And a solo guided ride can get up there in price.

Also, whatís the consensus on calling an Uber to use as a shuttle?
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by almazing View Post
    Iíll be in Tucson from the 5th to the 19th for work. My schedule is such that I get off early enough to be able to ride just about everyday. For the first week, Iíll probably ride the shorter, and (what seems like easy) trails in the area to get acclimated to the elevation, lack of humidity, and temperatures. I really want to do the Full Lemmon Drop on the 12th or 13th.

Can anyone recommend a shuttle service that can drop me off at the top of Mt. Lemmon? I reached out to Homegrown MTB and they said they need a minimum of 4 riders. And I guess they also suspend riding on the lower part of the mountain when temps hit 100 degrees. While they do offer guided riding, thatís not really my speed. And a solo guided ride can get up there in price.

Also, whatís the consensus on calling an Uber to use as a shuttle?
    Its going to be hot! Dead serious, you can hitchhike to the top. So many trucks going up each day. Never failed me. Offer them 10 bucks, they will say no its all good.

Definitely avoid fantasy island, and sweetwater. Uber beginner. Lots of gnar in Tucson to hit. Hit me up if you want some ideas and routes. Start drinking electrolytes now!!
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

My other ride is your mom
    Suggest you hit the outer loop on the sweetwater system CCW as a primer to get your legs on as you've requested shorter/easier as a starter. I would not call Sweetwater Uber beginner...it's easy to intermediate, but you can always go faster and the scenery is pretty rad with some fun stuff in there.

mtbr member
    If it's hot out and you want to get some miles in, Fantasy Island is a good night ride. But yeah, I'd skip it as a day ride as there is much better out there.

Nov 2015
    How can someone tell someone to go ride through the cholla field that is fantasy isalnd at night, or ever? Especially a visitor used to riding Pisgah. That makes zero sense. Go to an unfamiliar trail, filled with cactus and cholla everywhere, at night. Thats setting someone up for failure big time. The trail is so loose you can barely corner, then you have cholla and cactus waiting to annihilate you if you go 4" off the trail. With cholla all over the ground to give you flats. Not only that but half the trails there are closed due to construction so he will have to navigate a bunch of poorly marked bypasses, in the dark. I really wonder about some of you.
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    The trail is so loose you can barely corner, then you have cholla and cactus waiting to annihilate you if you go 4" off the trail. With cholla all over the ground to give you flats. I really wonder about some of you.
    Indeed, the feeling is mutual...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    How can someone tell someone to go ride through the cholla field that is fantasy isalnd at night, or ever? Especially a visitor used to riding Pisgah. That makes zero sense. Go to an unfamiliar trail, filled with cactus and cholla everywhere, at night. Thats setting someone up for failure big time. The trail is so loose you can barely corner, then you have cholla and cactus waiting to annihilate you if you go 4" off the trail. With cholla all over the ground to give you flats. Not only that but half the trails there are closed due to construction so he will have to navigate a bunch of poorly marked bypasses, in the dark. I really wonder about some of you.
    I would hope that the OP who has plans on doing the full Lemmon drop has the skills and experience to handle all of the above.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    I would hope that the OP who has plans on doing the full Lemmon drop has the skills and experience to handle all of the above.
    You make no sense. He wants to ride fun trails not navigate a death sentence of cholla and cactus and flat tires. Obviously he can handle beginner trails. Im questioning the logic of wasting someones time to go to one of the farthest trails away from town, where half the trails are shutdown, trails are filled with cactus and cholla everywhere, in the dark. Youre telling me of the hundreds of miles in of trails in Tucson you cant come up with something more user friendly to someone visiting. Then you make some useless sarcastic comment about how im sure he can navigate the trail. Ya a 6yr old can navigate the trail. Why would you suggest someone with limited time and resources, visiting from out of state, go ride there in the dark. For fun? For a challenge? For excitement? None of the above apply. It was a ridiculous suggestion. Your post trying to justify it is even more ridiculous. Thats literally the worst idea you could give someone. There are HUNDREDS of miles of trails to choose from.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You make no sense. He wants to ride fun trails not navigate a death sentence of cholla and cactus and flat tires. Obviously he can handle beginner trails. Im questioning the logic of wasting someones time to go to one of the farthest trails away from town, where half the trails are shutdown, trails are filled with cactus and cholla everywhere, in the dark. Youre telling me of the hundreds of miles in of trails in Tucson you cant come up with something more user friendly to someone visiting. Then you make some useless sarcastic comment about how im sure he can navigate the trail. Ya a 6yr old can navigate the trail. Why would you suggest someone with limited time and resources, visiting from out of state, go ride there in the dark. For fun? For a challenge? For excitement? None of the above apply. It was a ridiculous suggestion. Your post trying to justify it is even more ridiculous. Thats literally the worst idea you could give someone. There are HUNDREDS of miles of trails to choose from.
    You're the best Lane.

Edit to add I didn't suggest the trails.

Also, you're the best.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    You're the best Lane.

Edit to add I didn't suggest the trails.

Also, you're the best.
    You were trying to justify Evans terrible suggestion. Frat boy mentality, prevalent all through the Arizona sub forum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    If it's hot out and you want to get some miles in, Fantasy Island is a good night ride. But yeah, I'd skip it as a day ride as there is much better out there.
    You were trying to justify Evans terrible suggestion. Frat boy mentality, prevalent all through the Arizona sub forum.
    Hmm seems to me Evan's suggestion was for a night ride if it was hot. He clearly state there is better stuff for a day ride. We do alot of night riding in summer here and some trails at night are better than others. I have not ridden Fantasy Island, but I will take trail advice from Evdog and phatmike long before I will take trail advice from you. Both those guys are legit riders who are far tougher than you. Maybe not faster, but tougher and more experienced in desert riding especially at night. I could easily list of the bad-ass stuff they have done, but no need to brag. The regulars here are well aware of it.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Lane is correct about cactuses. Iíd prefer not to deal with them but if I have to to ride, then I have no choice. It is the desert and I have a special relationship with chollas from a night freefall jump, landing in a clearing surrounded by them, and then having to deal with them in a 30 day desert survival course. I am not fond of them.

So to be clear, the first week is my acclimation week. To gauge how much water Iím drinking per miles ridden, how much food I think Iíll need, and get used to the elevation. Ideally Iíd like to st lart off in easier mellow trails and move up as the week goes along. I donít have much experience riding in the desert but I am familiar with the terrain and what I need so I donít become a heat casualty.

Iíve been eyeing some trails on MTB project to ride throughout the week by would love more suggestions. Not super easy but not Mt. Lemmon levels at least for the 1st week.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Hmm seems to me Evan's suggestion was for a night ride if it was hot. He clearly state there is better stuff for a day ride. We do alot of night riding in summer here and some trails at night are better than others. I have not ridden Fantasy Island, but I will take trail advice from Evdog and phatmike long before I will take trail advice from you. Both those guys are legit riders who are far tougher than you. Maybe not faster, but tougher and more experienced in desert riding especially at night. I could easily list of the bad-ass stuff they have done, but no need to brag. The regulars here are well aware of it.
    Typical post from the Beta-Backslap-Chi sorority members. Add nothing to the topic, just stick up for your fellow sorority members with blind faith and absolute useless information.

Nov 2015
    Lane is correct about cactuses. Iíd prefer not to deal with them but if I have to to ride, then I have no choice. It is the desert and I have a special relationship with chollas from a night freefall jump, landing in a clearing surrounded by them, and then having to deal with them in a 30 day desert survival course. I am not fond of them.

So to be clear, the first week is my acclimation week. To gauge how much water Iím drinking per miles ridden, how much food I think Iíll need, and get used to the elevation. Ideally Iíd like to st lart off in easier mellow trails and move up as the week goes along. I donít have much experience riding in the desert but I am familiar with the terrain and what I need so I donít become a heat casualty.

Iíve been eyeing some trails on MTB project to ride throughout the week by would love more suggestions. Not super easy but not Mt. Lemmon levels at least for the 1st week.
    Ill pm you, nobody that has responded even lives in Tucson or can even offer you a legit suggestion obviously. They are bikepackers(tough guys).

mtbr member
    Lane is correct about cactuses. Iíd prefer not to deal with them but if I have to to ride, then I have no choice. It is the desert and I have a special relationship with chollas ..

Well Tucson is the desert so you will end up riding near cactus. Make sure you run tubeless with fresh sealant. I have ridden right over a live prickly pear once (by accident) and the tire never lost air despite have 30-40 spines it it.

We are right now into summer season for riding. It will be 90-100 most afternoons, but actually nice after the sun goes down. Night riding is how we in the desert ride year round. That and riding at dawn at 5am. Not sure what you work schedule is and when you will get time to ride or what part of town you are in. That will determine where you can ride which days. Fantasy Island is in the south east part of town. There is also good desert riding in the area of Tucson Mtn park on the far west side of town. Riding to the north off Hwy 77 north of Oro Valley is good too. Depending on where you are starting from driving to these area near rush hour will take time. And riding a 2-3pm is tough this time of year even for us locals. Mt Lemmon is cooler, but it takes time to get up there and some of those trails are remote and you don't want to be caught out there after dark alone and hurt. Might be days before someone comes by. Weekend days see more trail traffic.

Personally I use Trailforks as my mapping system. Pretty good mix of all the trails in the area. Green trails will be pretty mellow, but at 100F temps in the sun can still be challenge. Need to always respect the heat, sun and hydration. Never expect there to be water at any trailhead. Some have it, but many do not.

I have no experience on Lemmon drop, but I hear it is big ride. DH mostly, but still a boat load of climbing over some good chunk. Expect it to take a long time it might be easy for you in the end, but it is better to expect a long painful day. One of these days I will get there and ride it, but given the season probably not for a while. Now there is good riding at the top of Lemmon this time of year Aspen Draw should be fun and high up so pretty cool temps. Once get under 4000feet elevation in day time expect it to be HOT. (85 to 95).

Also under no circumstances should you try to ride Oracle Ridge. Total sh!tshow. Only crazy people bother to "ride" that. That said I have been up there twice on that trail. Yes I am a bit crazy.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    almazing,

You could certainly listen to Lane and take his advise. I know he spent a good amount of time in the area and likely won't steer you wrong. He is also well versed (read: expert) in Sonoran desert riding having been here for an extensive period of time.

My lowly advise would be to perhaps check in with one of the bike shops in Tucson - maybe Roadrunner Bicycles - and pick their brain. They might even be aware of group rides that would work for your schedule. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Lane is correct about cactuses. Iíd prefer not to deal with them but if I have to to ride, then I have no choice.
    I don't think you'll need to worry about cactus if you ride Fantasy Island. It is a heavily used trail network, not one that is overgrown with cactus that will tag you. And the locals have installed reflectors on some cactus that are on turns to help you avoid them in the dark. I've only done it once, as a night ride, following a Bugs-Prison-Milagrosa ride. It was perfect contrast to all that tech. If you are having trouble staying on the trail through turns you could always slow down. I am not fast, so I had no issues

Before you take on the full Lemmon drop I'd definitely try and ride a lap on Bugs-Prison-Millie. Doing that as an after work ride would give you a good idea of what the finish of Lemmon drop would be like, and in similar temps. That in itself is a good ride. The full Lemmon Drop is a hard, full day ride. I think there were 15 of us the day I rode it, only 5 finished. It is relentless, very tech and a lot of tough climbing thrown in. Yeah it is a shuttle but there is 3500 or so feet of climbing and not much of it is easy climbing. And Bugs-Millie to finish it off. There are a lot of bailouts in case you need them but Lemmon drop would be best done with some other riders. Good luck, hopefully you get to do it. Uber could work as a last resort. If you get no takers here try calling around to a few shops. They may be able to hook you up with someone to ride with or someone who can give you a ride up.

Lots of other good rides around Tucson. If you can ride every evening, you should get to check most of them out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Thanks for the tips. Work starts early at around 4-5am and I should be off around noon. I'm staying in Oro Valley. I'll have a rental and free reign to do whatever I want after work. Free gas so I can drive around as much as I want. I know that Lemmon Drop is pretty tough and long. But I feel like I have to get out there and do it. Kinda like if you were going to Pisgah and riding any trail there. Or going to Moab and riding the Whole Enchilada. I'm bringing my GG Smash with a Double Down rear tire so it should handle the gnar better than I can. I have a 5 or 6 liter bladder that can barely fit in my pack and I fully intend to top it off before I even start the ride. I also stocked up on that Nuun electrolyte stuff. I just eat it whole every hour. And for food, I burn a lot of calories so I bring several McDonald's McGriddles. Gives me quick and long lasting energy and it tastes good. For the Lemmon Drop, if it happens, I'll start early, bring water, electrolytes, and lots of McGriddles. Fully aware that it's not an easy undertaking, but since I'm here with my bike and don't know when I'll be back, I might as well tackle it. And it'll be good training for the Pisgah Enduro when I get back to NC.

Any other bike shops you guys recommend? Preferably, one that specializes in MTB and carries lots of parts(IE tires) in stock.

mtbr member
    50year trail, Catalina state park are right in your back yard. There is Honeybee to the west and the Tortolita mtns. Might be some pedaling to get to the goods. Oracle state park is around the corner near oracle. Fun place to ride. Not much tech, but still good stuff. Given where you are it not that bad of a drive.

A Tribute to 50 Year Trail

There is also Torca

https://torca.org/

Might be able to get on the ground info from them.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    50year trail, Catalina state park are right in your back yard. There is Honeybee to the west and the Tortolita mtns. Might be some pedaling to get to the goods. Oracle state park is around the corner near oracle. Fun place to ride. Not much tech, but still good stuff. Given where you are it not that bad of a drive.

A Tribute to 50 Year Trail

There is also Torca

https://torca.org/

Might be able to get on the ground info from them.
    Thanks. I was looking at the 50 year trail since itís so close to where Iím staying. Any must ride trails I should hit in that area?

Meatbomb
    I'm sure Lame will disagree with this suggestion but if you are not currently running a tubeless set up you may want to consider converting before your trip.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Definitely am running tubeless. I put twice as much sealant as I normally would today.

Ill pm you, nobody that has responded even lives in Tucson or can even offer you a legit suggestion obviously. They are bikepackers(tough guys).
    I lived in Tucson for several years and still own a home there, I stand by my suggestion. The OP's plan to acclimitize for a week sounds solid. Night riding when it's hot is a fact of life. Ride any easy trail at night and do it fast....it now becomes challenging. Knowing how to corner in different soil types to include desert alluvium is part of the show.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Putting Lane on your ignore list will make your mtbr experience several percentage points better.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    -Starr Pass is an excellent trail system and you can get a lot of mileage out there. You can link it up with Robles for more fun. You might want to save that until later in the first week though it has more tech and can get loose in areas.
    -50yr is a great trail system that you can add in Middlegate and Upper 50 for some extra mileage.
    -Honeybee is one of my favorites. Fast and flowy with a ton of mileage possible. You can add Badlands for 5 miles, and if you want some climbing with a little tech you can do the Ridgline loop for 10 miles.
    -Sweetwater is fast and fun but not a ton of mileage out there. But it is a great place to ride and see the awesome scenery and would be great to acclimate to the climate, and rocks. You can link it up to Starr pass if you want, but that includes some road.
    -Fantasy Island is a good place to ride. It's a little torn up right now due to a new housing community going in on the Houghton side.
    -AZT from Lakes road until Loma Alta is all great to ride. Everything north of the freeway is chunkier than south of it.
    -The new trails out at Mckenzie ranch are fun and flowy. Mostly smooth and fast. They're meat to be a new race course so most of it has berms. Not a ton of mileage out there, but fun.
    -There are trails over by Reddington Pass that I've never ridden, but there is a nice water spring out there if you get hot. And you will.
    -And then of course there are all the trails up Lemmon including CDO on the backside.

If you want anymore info on anything out here just ask. I've ridden just about everything out here, but not all the stuff up Lemmon. And if I happen to be off I can show you some of our trails out here.

Jeff

mtbr member
    There's a couple of really fun loops at Honeybee Canyon, if I were staying in Oro Valley I'd hit that for sure. 50 year is fun too but mostly for the little "chutes" loop. IMO anyway.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Those are some great suggestions! I arrived today and rode the Sweetwater perimeter trail late afternoon. It was pretty fun, but acclimating sucks. I'm so used to humidity that I'm shriveling up and my mouth and nose are dried. Elevation doesn't help either. I drank about 1.5 liters of water for the hour or so I was out. The heat didn't beat me up as much as I thought it would. I think it was high 90s to low 100s when I was out.

It was pretty loose. I may need to play around with my normal tire pressures a little but I don't want to lower it too much. I was running 21 on my front 29x2.5 DHF and 25 on the rear 29x2.3 Highroller II DD. I did notice that the ground in NC is super draggy and I have much less rolling resistance here. Big surprise to me. I'm not used to climbing loose rocks. But it's mostly me not being in the right gear due to my unfamiliarity with the trail. Going downhill on them is a blast though.

I don't know what I'll hit tomorrow, but it seems I have a lot of choices out here. Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    If its hot outside a fun loop id bigalow, Kellogg and incenorator. This ride is high up in the pines and a good ride for a smash. You can ride it as a loop at just take the hwy and a graded rd back to your car on bigalow.
    One note incenorator is really fun but one of the hardest rides on lemmon.
    You can also stay lower on the mountain and self shuttle prison camp and bugs. The ride up the rd takes about an hour at a easy pace. Bugs is a lot of fun and is a great afternoon ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Those pressures look right. I run 20 front and 25-30 rear depending on terrain. You should see the trails after some nice rain. They are the definition of hero dirt. They are quite loose and dusty right now.

If the dry nose is an issue you can put some petroleum jelly on a q-tip and line your nostrils with it. Sounds weird, but it works.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Strunkbro View Post
    If its hot outside a fun loop id bigalow, Kellogg and incenorator. This ride is high up in the pines and a good ride for a smash. You can ride it as a loop at just take the hwy and a graded rd back to your car on bigalow.
    One note incenorator is really fun but one of the hardest rides on lemmon.
    You can also stay lower on the mountain and self shuttle prison camp and bugs. The ride up the rd takes about an hour at a easy pace. Bugs is a lot of fun and is a great afternoon ride.
    This is whats up!!

Nov 2015
    Those are some great suggestions! I arrived today and rode the Sweetwater perimeter trail late afternoon. It was pretty fun, but acclimating sucks. I'm so used to humidity that I'm shriveling up and my mouth and nose are dried. Elevation doesn't help either. I drank about 1.5 liters of water for the hour or so I was out. The heat didn't beat me up as much as I thought it would. I think it was high 90s to low 100s when I was out.

It was pretty loose. I may need to play around with my normal tire pressures a little but I don't want to lower it too much. I was running 21 on my front 29x2.5 DHF and 25 on the rear 29x2.3 Highroller II DD. I did notice that the ground in NC is super draggy and I have much less rolling resistance here. Big surprise to me. I'm not used to climbing loose rocks. But it's mostly me not being in the right gear due to my unfamiliarity with the trail. Going downhill on them is a blast though.

I don't know what I'll hit tomorrow, but it seems I have a lot of choices out here. Thanks guys!
    You have less rr because you have less grip. Youre just floating on loose surface most of the time. You have dirt where you can trust the tires to bite back home. Here the earth suddenly moves on you. Dont go too low because as you go to rockier trails youll be hitting some rocks at high speeds.

You could also go to Sedona for a wknd vs the Lemmon drop

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    You have less rr because you have less grip. Youre just floating on loose surface most of the time. You have dirt where you can trust the tires to bite back home. Here the earth suddenly moves on you. Dont go too low because as you go to rockier trails youll be hitting some rocks at high speeds.

You could also go to Sedona for a wknd vs the Lemmon drop
    Oh yea, I forgot Sedona was in AZ! I could absolutely make that journey and find a cheap AirBnB for 2 nights!

Edit: There is no cheap lodging in Sedona.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    If your in the oro valley area you could hit up upper 50. You ca use trail forks to find it since there are no trail signs. Park at the end of golder ranch rd and go from there.
    If your on lemon you should also hit up aspen draw. Its best to ride it during the week to avoid hikers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I'm looking to do Honey Bee Loop tomorrow as I want to up my mileage a little. Where's the best place to park and enter the trail? I've been doing some research online about trail entrances and I've been getting multiple and sometimes conflicting information. Some sources say I have to park on Oracle Rd. Others say I can park at the Methodist Church. And the rest say I can enter from Quiet Rain Dr. I'd prefer not to get my car towed or broken in to, and as a visitor, I don't want to give MTBers a bad image.

Many thanks!

mtbr member
    I'm looking to do Honey Bee Loop tomorrow as I want to up my mileage a little. Where's the best place to park and enter the trail? I've been doing some research online about trail entrances and I've been getting multiple and sometimes conflicting information. Some sources say I have to park on Oracle Rd. Others say I can park at the Methodist Church. And the rest say I can enter from Quiet Rain Dr. I'd prefer not to get my car towed or broken in to, and as a visitor, I don't want to give MTBers a bad image.

Many thanks!

It's a little weird accessing it and there are several ways but I always park at Honeybee Canyon park on Rancho Vistoso rd, about 3 miles or thereabouts from Oracle rd on the left side. You have to drive past it and turn around. From there you ride back Rancho Vistoso about 1/2 mile to Quiet Rain rd. (left side, again have to ride past and turn around or jump median)

You'll see a little gate and from there follow the power line trail (1/2 mile?) to another gate and unmarked trailheads. Bring your garmin and have fun!

The "regular" most well traveled loop is around 17-18 miles but there's another one past the windmill (1/2 way point on regular loop) that adds maybe 6 or 7 miles that's really fun.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Putting Lane on your ignore list will make your mtbr experience several percentage points better.
    Yeah but watching some douchebag make a fool of himself can break up the work day

mtbr member
    Also, if you do the loop counter clockwise, which is the way I've always done it you need to look for the first singletrack to the right after the gate, around 50 yards past it. There are a few intersections beyond that (don't take the first right one!) but that will get you started.

Sorry if that's overload but I rode around for many extra miles the first time I was there there are no signs.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    It's a little weird accessing it and there are several ways but I always park at Honeybee Canyon park on Rancho Vistoso rd, about 3 miles or thereabouts from Oracle rd on the left side. You have to drive past it and turn around. From there you ride back Rancho Vistoso about 1/2 mile to Quiet Rain rd. (left side, again have to ride past and turn around or jump median)

You'll see a little gate and from there follow the power line trail (1/2 mile?) to another gate and unmarked trailheads. Bring your garmin and have fun!

The "regular" most well traveled loop is around 17-18 miles but there's another one past the windmill (1/2 way point on regular loop) that adds maybe 6 or 7 miles that's really fun.
    Thanks! I looked it up on a map and have a pretty good idea of how I can get in to the trail! I really appreciate it!

mtbr member
    PM sent.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin MD View Post
    PM sent.
    Almazing, heres your all mountain tour guide extraordinare. Jeff/BlueWhyte will be your pedal your ass off extraordinare too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    So many awesome trails in Tucson! So far, I've ridden Sweetwater, McKenzie Ranch, Honeybee Canyon, Golder Ranch, and Starr Pass. I think out of all the trails so far, Starr Pass is my favorite. I like fast chunk with some flow thrown in for good measure. Starr Pass delivered. I've been riding in the afternoon around 4pm but the temps are still hovering around 100. It's been rough but I've been prepping with lots of electrolytes. Plus riding in these conditions is good training for the Pisgah Enduro when I get back to NC.

I decided not to do the Full Lemmon Drop after all. It's just ridiculously hot, and with the amount of water I've been consuming, I don't think I can make it down without going completely empty. I'm going to Flagstaff instead. Ride Flagstaff and Sedona and maybe even see the Grand Canyon.

Besides the stupid heat, this trip has been a blast so far!

Nov 2015
    So many awesome trails in Tucson! So far, I've ridden Sweetwater, McKenzie Ranch, Honeybee Canyon, Golder Ranch, and Starr Pass. I think out of all the trails so far, Starr Pass is my favorite. I like fast chunk with some flow thrown in for good measure. Starr Pass delivered. I've been riding in the afternoon around 4pm but the temps are still hovering around 100. It's been rough but I've been prepping with lots of electrolytes. Plus riding in these conditions is good training for the Pisgah Enduro when I get back to NC.

I decided not to do the Full Lemmon Drop after all. It's just ridiculously hot, and with the amount of water I've been consuming, I don't think I can make it down without going completely empty. I'm going to Flagstaff instead. Ride Flagstaff and Sedona and maybe even see the Grand Canyon.

Braap city. Please go ride the trails by Dove mtn. Id say the most tech in Tucson not super dh. Talk to Justin. Park at wild burro trailhead near the Ritz. Get your big boy pants on. Then you can ride from Honeybee into Ridgeline and those same trails in a longer loop. Heres some info too....Tucson trails breakdown

When you went toackenzie ranch you drove right past the Arizona trail which is criminal. Park at the loma alta trailhead off old spanish trail. Get on the azt and head south. Go for a couple hrs. There is water at the campground when you see the bathrooms go over by the pavilion there is water.

Yoi have to ride milagrosa tbough. Park at suzeno. Go into the neighborhood and take horsehead the paved road east till you see wentworth, go north on wentworth its a road you can shortcut the pavement up to molino. Follow the dirt road it will curve to left then dead end. Start hiking up the hill to the baba doag outlook, hop on and ride to molino. Then take Molino to the rock stack, go right onto milagrosa. Get your popcorn ready.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Visiting Tucson for 2 weeks.-screenshot_2018-05-09-22-03-34.png  

mtbr member

There is an MBAA (Our local XC racing org) race this Saturday in Flagstaff. Check MBAA.net for details. If you choose to go up there. Trails will not be closed, but some will have race traffic.
    Sedona wil be 76 Saturday and Sunday so might be better use of time. Trails in Sedona are very unique and those temps are perfect for the riding. A tad warm, but nothing like what you have been riding it. Flag is nice, but more like forest wooded trails you are used to.

Closer to home is going south to ride the AZT. Kentucy camp is great ride and higher elevation and cooler than Tucson. Here is the AES ride that in that area. Nothing really techy, but amazing flowing grass lands. So pretty and fun. https://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/kc/
    Joe

NedwannaB
    Great informational thread. Makes me wish I had a trip planned! And it's nice to see as a casual observer that Mr DC has settled down realizing (I ass-u-me) his route suggestions and experiences(although not that "extensive" long term) are being aknowledged, once they are presented with the right tone.

Given those props above to Lane, I cringe somewhat as I type to recommend......since it looks like you're passing on the Lemon Drop outing unless you've seen already I'd check out the youtube vid done by Sid and Macky recently(most recent with just the two of them)to see the extent of the full ride.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I went to Sedona on Saturday and rode the west loop around Dry Creek. I loved it. It had everything I could ever have wanted and more. The views were breath taking and now I know exactly why people travel there to ride. I've barely scratched surface, but from what I've seen, I'll need to make a return trip. I would have liked to do the more gnarly stuff like Hangover or Hiline, but since I was by myself and completely unfamiliar, I decided to do something a lot more mellow. Plus I don't really find sessioning features and slow technical sections all that fun. I prefer to go fast through rocks and roots and such. The faster I go downhill, the more in the zone I become. I like goin' fast.

Afterwards, I decided to see the Grand Canyon which was awesome. Seeing it in person was worth it. I spent the night in Flagstaff at an AirBnB. Being that high up made me feel a little woozy. Not altitude sickness(which I've experienced), just a little weird.

Today(Sunday), I was pretty sore from all the riding I did yesterday and the week prior but I was determined to ride Schultz Pass downhill. I rode the Moto Trail to AZT to the top, which was 7.5 miles. The elevation definitely got to me. Not debilitating, but definitely enough to noticeably decrease my performance when climbing. Got to the top, didn't really know what to expect. Started the ride and I was smiling the whole 4 miles down. Schultz Pass is the type of trail I favor over anything. Flowy, some tech I can run right through, and speed. Needless to say, I loved it. I really, really, really envy riders in Flagstaff that can ride that trail as much as they want. As much as I loved Sedona, I much prefer long, flowy, and uninterrupted downhills.

Schultz Pass takes the cake. Oh and for the record, Schultz Pass is better than the Ridgeline Trail in DuPont. Better and 3-4 times longer.

I wish I had more off time to ride. I've not even scratched the surface.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Stoked youíre enjoying what our state has to offer.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Glad you had a good time. Schultz is favorite. Nothing crazy, but smiles the entire way. I have been riding that trail for 20 years. Others here even longer. Fun stuff in Flag and really everywhere.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You got a lot of great trails crammed in to such a short period. If youíre back in Tucson, youíll need to hit Ridgeline, the AZT and Lemmon. So much good riding left for you to check out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I had a great time riding here. Unfortunately, I leave Saturday and I can't possibly hit all the trails you've all suggested. What sucks more is that this week, I start work at 3am and get off around 11am. But there's no way I can't take a nap after work. I'm just too tired. So this means I have to ride mid-afternoon in the heat of the sun. Riding late afternoon isn't a possibility since I have to try to get some rest and prep for the next day. This week, I'm taking it easy since I don't have shade with the setting sun. Awesome riding here, except for this searing heat and exposure.

On a side note, the trails here tear up tires. I had a new-ish rear and after about 100 miles of riding, it looks pretty worn. My front fared a little better, but I can definitely tell it's been worn. It's as if I put 200-300 miles on them in a week and a half. My riding style is usually fairly easy on tires. My last rear lasted 400 miles until the side knobs started rounding off and things got sketchy. Fronts can last much longer than 400 miles for me. Then again, terrain is much different in NC. How the hell do you guys afford to keep buying tires like this?!?!

mtbr member
    The tires on my single speed have 1220 miles on the front and 800 on the rear. 2.35 Ikon Exo, 2.2 XR3 team rear. It took me a long time to find tires that lasted in the desert.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Before.

After.

Both are High Roller 2 29x2.3 3C/DD.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    Yeah, AZ eats tires up pretty quick. Just cost of doing business. Next time you come out , we can make that Lemmon Drop happen.
    2016 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol