mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Visiting Scottsdale Memorial Day Weekend 2013

Let me start out by saying, thank you to all those who contributed to the sticky'd thread for visitors. I have spent a decent amount of time browsing it and have gained some great information. I will be in Scottsdale Friday-Monday and would like to get out Saturday & Sunday morning (or I can bring lights and do some night riding) if anyone is up for showing a guest around. My first choice would be some chunky and/or flowy trails and I think some South Mountain trails may fit that. I have no problem riding anywhere within 45 minutes or so of Scottsdale, so if you have something else going, please let me know. Some background about me, I am a trail/enduro style rider from So Cal. I like to climb so I can descend. I will be riding my 160mm travel bike. I am definitely not a fast XC climber, but I'm no slug either. Anyhow, please let me know if you have a ride to meet my criteria and better yet, if you don't mind showing me around. Oh and I've been watching the weather closely in hopes that it's not too hot for my So Cal blood.

parenting for gnarness
    sunscreen, 6am start.
    the west face of the McDs can remain shady near the peaks upto ~8:30. Windgate or Tom's Thumb will be good climbs. If you do a Dbl Bypass, you will bake on the way back up but Bell and Windgate are both half the climbs of the west side.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    sunscreen, 6am start.
    the west face of the McDs can remain shady near the peaks upto ~8:30. Windgate or Tom's Thumb will be good climbs. If you do a Dbl Bypass, you will bake on the way back up but Bell and Windgate are both half the climbs of the west side.
    Much appreciated insight. Shade would be nice.

mtbr member
    I personally would stick to south mountain. The previously mentioned McDowells are definately fun, but I personally feel the reward on south mountain is a bit better. Perhaps Desert Classic to Telegraph (you can do an up and back to helipad while on DC). Up Telegraph (may have to hike a bit) to National. There are several ways down from there, down National, down to Mormon, and I believe Geronimo and Holbert can both be accessed from this area too (I've never ridden those, unfortunately). You can climb national too and skip Desert Classic. I just prefer going up a different way than I'm going to go down. Desert Classic is pretty easy honestly.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've waffled over the past day or two, but I am definitely bringing a bike out this weekend. Thanks for the route suggestions, please keep them coming. Looks like temps are forecasted to be a bit lower on Sunday, so looks like I'll be golfing on Saturday and riding on Sunday/Monday. Thanks again.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Couple of the No Clue Crew guys are probably going to be running some/most of the technical stuff at Phoenix Mountain Preserves on Sunday morning. Depending on where you're at in Scottsdale, that'll be close (usually start from either 40th/Shea or Dreamy Draw).

Happy Trails
    The riding weather is really nice between 5AM and 8:30....

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Couple of the No Clue Crew guys are probably going to be running some/most of the technical stuff at Phoenix Mountain Preserves on Sunday morning. Depending on where you're at in Scottsdale, that'll be close (usually start from either 40th/Shea or Dreamy Draw).
    Definitely recommend hooking up with Blatant and the NCC. Good group of dudes. They'll take you on a fun route and are good riders but none of us are speed demons when it comes to climbing. PMP has some great stuff to sample and should be fairly close to where you're coming from. Wish I could join but it's the wifey's bday and that would not be good to go riding.

Then if you liked that ride you could hit up SoMo on Mon. If you're into technical climbing and then a bomb coming down I would highly recommend starting at the Pima lot climbing the service road and going up National and then just turning around whenever you feel you've had enough. Their are about 6-7 or so quick obstacles climbing Natty (up to the waterfall) that are a good challenge and are all cleanable by advanced riders. No hike-a-bike sections longer than a few feet. Just some really fun stuff.

A plethora of pinatas
    McDowell Mtn Park is putting on a night ride this Sat night. They usually get 75-150 riders out there and the local bike shop does a free BBQ's for riders post ride cravings.

Details can be found at: McDowell Mtn Park Summer Night Ride Series 2013 Schedule

or FB Event - https://www.facebook.com/events/122050654663796/
    Marty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    The riding weather is really nice between 5AM and 8:30....
    Exactly. 5am it just light enough to ride and up till 8:30 it is still nice. Figure 70's and 80's with some areas starting out in 60's.

I will probably ride Saturday and Monday. Not sure yet. I thinking BCT one day from Emery Henderson and monday Maricopa/Go-John/ Overton. This a loop I do from Spear S Ranch trail head off New River Road/7th Street. I take maricopa east to Cave Creek park. Then up Go John (right fork) and then Down Overton (stay right). Then back too the main trail head to go-john east side over another climb and then down and then up techy climb and some techy descents. Then back to fork at Maricopa. If I take it back it 15 miles and I fig I go around back up to Overton and then take Go-John straight up the switch backs and then back to Marciopa. That turns in to 20 mile ride. Overton is fast flowing descent. Nothing hard tech wise but fun. Just watch for hikers. Worth doing it twice. You can drive in the Cave Creek park, but there is a charge. My route is free because I go in the back way. Or you can park at Flat Tire bike shop and take some paved roads to the part from the east side. It is not well marked this way however.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks a ton guys. I'm on the way out to AZ right now. Once I get settled I will likely drop a PM or two to try to meet up with the NCC guys. Super stoked, just got a dropper post installed last night...looking forward to its maiden voyage!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    If your up for a hard climb you could start at the 124th Sonoran preserve trailhead (lost dog) and go up and over sunrise mountain then follow via linda back to the 124h trailhead the backside (east side) of sunrise is a great descent fast with some rocky areas and some smooth sections

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    South Mountain:
    Park at the Javelina trail head go up to Mormon Loop (north side), then National to the top then back down and around Mormon Loop (south side around to the north side) and descend Mormon Trail (this is a pretty advanced trail for most people so be forewarned). You'll have a couple mile road burn back to your car but going down Mormon is worth it if you want big chunk tech. Otherwise just ride it as an out and back.