otbmbc.com
    Dec 2004

Visiting Peoria - Looking for easy trail

Hey AZ peeps!

I'll be visiting my sister in Peoria for a few days and was looking for something close, and easy. Easy because I'll be with my girlfriend who is relatively new at mountain biking (she does have a decent bike, however) and can't climb for extended periods yet. Was hoping for a dirt trail, but a bike path or something like that will do.

Thanks in advance.

John U
    So Cal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Check out White Tanks park. There are some good loops out there and you can skip the hard climb and tricky decent.

mtbr member
    several options, but probably not close enough to ride from home to the trails. What cross streets/ave are you close to?

Keep in mind avg temps right now are 100-107 and humid! So get out 530-6am, or 6:30-7pm with lights to finish the ride.

Good early am rides in that area w/mild or no climbing.
    White Tanks Reg Park, FINS(Estrella Mtn Ranch), Trail 100, trails west and north of Sonoran Mtn Ranch.
    If paved canal trail is ok, go to Rio Vista park on west side of 101, north of Thunderbird Rd.

The Emory Henderson trailhead off New River Rd is a good place to ride for the vertical-challenged rider, but pay attention to the trail route....wouldn't want to get lost, out of water, etc up there in the desert this time of year. http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/nono.gif Same goes for desert trails up by Sonoran Mtn Ranch...easy to get confused, delayed, with one way in/out around the canal, if you're unfamiliar with the area.

Hope this helps and gives you a couple of options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    2nd white tanks
    Ed

No Clue Crew
    Depending on where you are in Peoria Trail 100 may be closer than the White Tanks. I've ridden the White Tanks once and I seemed to remember enjoying myself. I think it was part of a race course and we took the "technical" section of the loop. My buddy wound up going over the bars and fracturing or spraining a finger. Can't remember which. Without that section I don't remember it being very difficult.

I'm off 75th & Peoria so if you aren't far you can get to 7th Ave. & Dunlap to start Trail 100. This one is not bad and 9.36 miles:

If you see the point where my trail breaks apart just above 14th St. (right in the middle). That's a great turning point if you don't want to go DOWN and then back UP the trail to 32nd St. It's really not that bad but looking up it you can wonder.

Right under Cave Creek you can stop and turn around as well. That makes it 7.6 miles. If you continue and go around the mountain east of Cave Creek it gets a little technical and uphill with a loose, rocky descent on the backside that I wouldn't recommend for beginners or scaredycats.

im4Gsus
    big0mike, after crossing cave creek, instead of going around the big mtn, head south and ride the rollercoaster, which goes south towards 16th street. it's a hoot and in the middle there's a jump area.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    big0mike, after crossing cave creek, instead of going around the big mtn, head south and ride the rollercoaster, which goes south towards 16th street. it's a hoot and in the middle there's a jump area.
    Cool. Next time I hit that section I'll give it a try...

No Clue Crew
    This the area you are talking about?

I didn't hang around too long. For the first time I tried to ride UP 100 around here:

Usually when riding east I'll continue on the side trail and on the way back west I'll stick to T100. I know going DOWN that it's loose and steep so I've never tried UP until today. And, to be honest, it gassed me pretty good. I made it almost to the bend but had to take a breather. I didn't hike it, though.

Then when I got over to Cave Creek I got distracted by these guys:

Some hiker was out with his dogs off-leash and there were two of them following them around raising hell:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Depending on where you are in Peoria Trail 100 may be closer than the White Tanks. I've ridden the White Tanks once and I seemed to remember enjoying myself. I think it was part of a race course and we took the "technical" section of the loop. My buddy wound up going over the bars and fracturing or spraining a finger. Can't remember which. Without that section I don't remember it being very difficult.

I'm off 75th & Peoria so if you aren't far you can get to 7th Ave. & Dunlap to start Trail 100. This one is not bad and 9.36 miles:

If you see the point where my trail breaks apart just above 14th St. (right in the middle). That's a great turning point if you don't want to go DOWN and then back UP the trail to 32nd St. It's really not that bad but looking up it you can wonder.

Right under Cave Creek you can stop and turn around as well. That makes it 7.6 miles. If you continue and go around the mountain east of Cave Creek it gets a little technical and uphill with a loose, rocky descent on the backside that I wouldn't recommend for beginners or scaredycats.
    This looks like a fun ride and not too far from my house. Is there a parking lot at the trailhead... that is somewhat secure? Thanks Mike.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Linoleum
    This looks like a fun ride and not too far from my house. Is there a parking lot at the trailhead... that is somewhat secure? Thanks Mike.
    There are parking lots at 7th Avenue just south of Peoria on the east side of 7th Ave. and on 7th Street just south of Thunderbird on the west side of 7th St.. The lot on 7th Ave is in a not-so-great section of Sunnyslope and it's a little community park but I think it's moderately secure.

The lot on 7th St is larger and is used almost exclusively by hikers and bikers so it feels more secure. There are bathrooms there as well.

If you click on the View Details on the map and change to a Satellite view and zoom in you'll see the parking lots. Both are easy to find but I like 7th Ave. 'cause it's the beginning of Trail 100 and closer to home.

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to hit that up on Sat or Sun early AM. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I would also suggest white tanks. Flat but fast and fun for all levels. I live near trail 100 and ride it almost daily. personally i wouldn't suggest trail 100 for a beginner. Not a lot of climbing but techy in some places for a beginner. Unless she can handle rolling hills with rock gardens, baby heads etc. then I would def shoot for white tanks. With either choice I'm sure you won't be disappointed tho. Have fun!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by samcerv
    I would also suggest white tanks. Flat but fast and fun for all levels. I live near trail 100 and ride it almost daily. personally i wouldn't suggest trail 100 for a beginner. Not a lot of climbing but techy in some places for a beginner. Unless she can handle rolling hills with rock gardens, baby heads etc. then I would def shoot for white tanks. With either choice I'm sure you won't be disappointed tho. Have fun!
    That section I posted above from 7th Ave to almost Cave Creek is about as easy as it gets... as long as you skip one section of 100. See below...

If you start at 7th Ave and go past 7th St, bypassing the white section of the map and turn around right at the TO HERE flag you'll have, IIRC, about 7 miles and there's nothing terribly hard. My GF can handle it and she's not very skilled at all.

The white section is actually Trail 100. I didn't know that until a few weeks ago. It's tough when heading from Cave Creek back to 7th St. It's REALLY tough heading from 7th St. to Cave Creek because the first section is uphill, loose, rocky, TOUGH. It's fun going down from E to W Not coming up.

I gotta get back out to the White Tanks, though. Only ridden it once...