Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    24

    Visiting and looking to ride around Scottsdale

    My in laws live in Scottsdale, and I have yet to ride in Arizona. After visiting for the past three years, it is time. I am from Washington state, and looking for some good rides in the December or January time of year. I ride a Specialized Enduro, and ride it on all types of trails. From 20-30 mile epic rides to hitting 30-40ft gaps on downhill trails. I enjoy more technical trails. I would like to check out Sedona and Flagstaff, but then also ride some trails closer to Scottsdale. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thank You.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    24
    Hey there fellow Cascadian. There's a lot of trails right in and around Scottsdale in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve or the McDowell Regional Park near Fountain Hills. Links to both below for trail maps.

    Scottsdale's McDowell Sonoran Preserve
    Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County

    I'm sure you'll get specific recommendations on here. If you're looking to rent a bike in the area I recommend AOA (aoa-adventures.com), good selection and great people. Have fun!

  3. #3
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,031
    Quote Originally Posted by NWLIFE View Post
    . I enjoy more technical trails.
    South Mountain in PHX. Start at Pima parking lot, ride up National as far as you'd like (i suggest ride at least to the Buena Vista parking lot), turn around and keep on National all the way back.

    If feeling spunky at the BV lot continue on Natty to Telegraph, take road back to BV, then bomb down Natty the whole way. I suggest the road ride back to BV lot rather than Natty just b/c I'm not a fan of riding Natty west to east on that portion....seems like every rock is facing the wrong directions and it sucks the life out of me.

  4. #4
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,767
    where in Scottsdale, bringing or renting a bike? how much time away from family?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    24
    Thank you all for all the input.

    Chollaball,

    I will be bringing my Enduro down. I will be there a week for each month. Was hoping to his some more technical downhill stuff if possible. Let me know what you think.

  6. #6
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,767
    Quote Originally Posted by NWLIFE View Post
    Thank you all for all the input.

    Chollaball,

    I will be bringing my Enduro down. I will be there a week for each month. Was hoping to his some more technical downhill stuff if possible. Let me know what you think.
    South Mtn. search on this site for shuttles if you want with the Short Bus or the Gnar Gnar Van. Plenty of pedal up and bomb down all-mtn routes too. 20-40 min drive, depending on where in Scottsdale and which trailhead.

    Flag is out, will be wet or snowed in.

    Sedona if its dry, but 2hrs each way. More all-mtn than DH.

    Goat Camp (far west Valley), some routes in the Phx Mtn Preserve (~20 min to trails, the goods are all over the system), maybe Pass Mtn. (far east valley).

    There are lots of routes in the McDowells that can either be big climb XC-style or more suited to a mild slow climb with AM fun on the down.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    South Mtn. search on this site for shuttles if you want with the Short Bus or the Gnar Gnar Van. Plenty of pedal up and bomb down all-mtn routes too. 20-40 min drive, depending on where in Scottsdale and which trailhead.

    Flag is out, will be wet or snowed in.

    Sedona if its dry, but 2hrs each way. More all-mtn than DH.

    Goat Camp (far west Valley), some routes in the Phx Mtn Preserve (~20 min to trails, the goods are all over the system), maybe Pass Mtn. (far east valley).

    There are lots of routes in the McDowells that can either be big climb XC-style or more suited to a mild slow climb with AM fun on the down.


    I'd suggest the McDowell Mountain Park system. Its just on Scottsdale outskirts and offers long worry free ride of Pemberton. Also the competitive tracks offer a bunch of easy to technical rides. You can spend an hour or all day there and never be that far off the beaten path.

  8. #8
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: freeskier46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,868
    Quote Originally Posted by TimSB View Post
    I'd suggest the McDowell Mountain Park system. Its just on Scottsdale outskirts and offers long worry free ride of Pemberton. Also the competitive tracks offer a bunch of easy to technical rides. You can spend an hour or all day there and never be that far off the beaten path.
    Huh?? I'll assume you're kidding here, Pemberton & the comp loops?? CB's post has the OP covered for downhill techy rides.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

  9. #9
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,429
    Quote Originally Posted by AMintheDesert View Post
    Hey there fellow Cascadian. There's a lot of trails right in and around Scottsdale in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve or the McDowell Regional Park near Fountain Hills. Links to both below for trail maps.

    Scottsdale's McDowell Sonoran Preserve
    Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County

    I'm sure you'll get specific recommendations on here. If you're looking to rent a bike in the area I recommend AOA (aoa-adventures.com), good selection and great people. Have fun!
    Ummmmm, No! Homeboy is looking for tech.....he's not going to find it there.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-26-2013, 06:15 PM
  2. in scottsdale this weekend, lookin to ride
    By hardboiled in forum Arizona
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 11:31 AM
  3. Thursday 6-23 - N. Scottsdale long roadie ride
    By chollaball in forum Arizona
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 06:06 AM
  4. wanna ride around scottsdale this week?
    By specialized2 in forum Arizona
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 11:51 AM
  5. Visiting Scottsdale need advice
    By ianick in forum Arizona
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 08:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •