Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459

    VIDEO: Back to Flats for me ......

    I've had 3 nasty falls in the past few ride and ALL because I can't get my FAT feet out of my clips. Time to swap back for a few rides. Enjoy............Drew


  2. #2
    Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Reputation: Dag Nabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,938
    Ouch! I couldn't imagine riding flats myself. I've got mine setup fairly loose and I've never gotten stuck on a big crash. It's always the slowish rollers uphill that get me - kinda like your video! Then again, you boys play around a bit more than I do out there, not that I don't like to though. Good luck.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

  3. #3
    jddist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    356
    You need to ride cages with straps. That's the only way to rock it:-)

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eazy_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,564
    Yesterday? Better music this time, BTW.

    I go back and forth on the clipless thing. Of course, when I rode on the road, it was clipless, but I've never done mountain clipless. I've been wanting to try out a pair of cheap Shimano M530 pedals on my Tallboy. My only issue is I wear a 14 4E, and the only shoes I can find are the Shimano MO-87. In 50 W, they're just barely long enough and right at the limit for snugness. The thought of having a mechanical and having to to a 3 mile or more HAB back in those shoes is scary. I can walk all day if I had to in my Merrells.

    People today are bigger, why does everybody only make shoes up to size 12 in Medium? There's gotta be a market for us clydes, right?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    664
    That's the same reason I use flats.
    Rocks don't play fair.

  6. #6
    skilldest©
    Reputation: _dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    438
    ouch

  7. #7
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,932
    Love your videos man....

  8. #8
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Yesterday? Better music this time, BTW.
    Yeah, yesterday.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Love your videos man....
    Thanks, you're the one

  9. #9
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Old Man video was awesome also.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  10. #10
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    Old Man video was awesome also.
    Why thank you

  11. #11
    Team God!
    Reputation: Stormin_Norman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    203
    man you sux!

    Just kidding. Thats gonna leave a mark and your wife is gonna be pissed!
    "Wisdom is the Chief element of happiness, and then there is ice cream!"

  12. #12
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman View Post
    man you sux!

    Just kidding. Thats gonna leave a mark and your wife is gonna be pissed!
    Check, Check and Check

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: helimech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,812
    Drew. What kind of clips are you using and how is the tension set?
    ****BIRD

  14. #14
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech View Post
    Drew. What kind of clips are you using and how is the tension set?
    They are Time XROC S and feel GREAT tension wise for the most part, but maybe I could lossen then a bit. When I'm riding clipless I really like them tight with no play, but the falls as of late have me second guessing. If I was just riding "normal" trails I think I'd be okay, but unfortunately the guys I ride with are a*******s and MAKE me ride harder trails out of my comfort zone. I hate them...........Drew

  15. #15
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,113
    Flats forever man! Pads are also a nice thing. Just saying
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

  16. #16
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Flats forever man! Pads are also a nice thing. Just saying
    You sound like my wife!!!! BUT you are correct!!!

  17. #17
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,113
    Pretty much repeating what MY wife said years ago. I stopped getting sympathy for banged up knees and other parts and started getting grief for bloody stains on towels, sheets, etc. Pads just keep everybody happier
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eazy_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Pretty much repeating what MY wife said years ago. I stopped getting sympathy for banged up knees and other parts and started getting grief for bloody stains on towels, sheets, etc. Pads just keep everybody happier
    Or you could just not have a wife....

  19. #19
    Team God!
    Reputation: Stormin_Norman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    Check, Check and Check
    Hey Grave, you have a great sense of humor and thanks for seeing I was playing.
    Have a great weekend, and ride safe.
    SN
    "Wisdom is the Chief element of happiness, and then there is ice cream!"

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    734
    im using xtrs and theyre so loose they come undone whenever i try and do anything other than pedal. They dont cause any issues unless im trying to screw around jumping. i dont like the idea of scraping the crap out of my shins or calves if i went to flats.

  21. #21
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,753
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman View Post
    man you sux!
    Yeah, he kinda does... I mean, look how slow he was going. Couldn't even get over that little pile of rock. Sad...

    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    unfortunately the guys I ride with are a*******s and MAKE me ride harder trails out of my comfort zone. I hate them...........Drew
    Is that why every time we take off from a break you say, "hey guys, watch me do this?"

    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Flats forever man! Pads are also a nice thing. Just saying
    That's the first thing I said to him and why I'm fully padded every ride.

    I still can't believe he put clips on that bike.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GR1822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,087



    Thats what you get for always trying the hardest line!














    Before anyone jumps my sh*t, drew is skinnier, and a better rider than me.
    Last edited by GR1822; 08-18-2012 at 08:08 AM.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post

    I still can't believe he put clips on that bike.
    Those aren't "clips"........unless that's the new way to say "clipless"...../Roadie ******bag Attitude Off

  24. #24
    RHRF!
    Reputation: titusbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,275
    At least the 'tatt' is still intact...
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

  25. #25
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman View Post
    Hey Grave, you have a great sense of humor and thanks for seeing I was playing.
    Have a great weekend, and ride safe.
    SN
    Back at you

    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Yeah, he kinda does... I mean, look how slow he was going. Couldn't even get over that little pile of rock. Sad...


    Is that why every time we take off from a break you say, "hey guys, watch me do this?"
    that was FAST in my book!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post



    Thats what you get for always trying the hardest line!




    Before anyone jumps my sh*t, drew is skinnier, and a better rider than me.

    Point taken!!!!!

  26. #26
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,549
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Is that why every time we take off from a break you say, "hey guys, watch me do this?"
    Peer pressure.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: helimech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    They are Time XROC S and feel GREAT tension wise for the most part, but maybe I could lossen then a bit. When I'm riding clipless I really like them tight with no play, but the falls as of late have me second guessing. If I was just riding "normal" trails I think I'd be okay, but unfortunately the guys I ride with are a*******s and MAKE me ride harder trails out of my comfort zone. I hate them...........Drew
    Maybe try some SPD's if you want to stay with clips. I have a set you can try and they seam to be easier to get your foot out from then other styles?
    ****BIRD

  28. #28
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Peer pressure.
    I would be that if they were my peeps, but they are all 60+.

    Quote Originally Posted by helimech View Post
    Maybe try some SPD's if you want to stay with clips. I have a set you can try and they seam to be easier to get your foot out from then other styles?
    I'm going to try loosening the tension a bit

  29. #29
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    I would be that if they were my peeps, but they are all 60+.
    Another possibility could be that you are trying to get them to stop following you.

  30. #30
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Another possibility could be that you are trying to get them to stop following you.
    I LIKE this

  31. #31
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,094
    It's hard for us to follow Drew, when he's generally bringing up the rear.

  32. #32
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    It's hard for us to follow Drew, when he's generally bringing up the rear.
    OH BURN!!!!!!! I just like the view back there

  33. #33
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    23,695
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech View Post
    Maybe try some SPD's if you want to stay with clips. I have a set you can try and they seam to be easier to get your foot out from then other styles?
    One reason this can be true is the SPDs rely a bit more on spring tension, whereas the time/CB mechanism relies a little more on simple angular movement, in other words you HAVE to twist it x amount of degrees to get out, and in my experience, the crank brothers were worst in low-speed falls, because if you tried to turn your heel the opposite direction (chainstay is usually in the way) or didn't get it far enough in the "correct" direction, you'd fall every time without being able to release. SPDs are a little more forgiving in the "panic yank" situations. You still have to train yourself a bit to release, which is best done in a park on soft grass, but it's a little more forgiving for direction, and then shimano also makes "multi-directional release" cleats, which help even more with this. The "smooth" action of times and CBs is sometimes preferred by some people, but I've had more reliable results with SPDs, although Time at least makes a strong pedal that doesn't disintegrate like CBs.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  34. #34
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    One reason this can be true is the SPDs rely a bit more on spring tension, whereas the time/CB mechanism relies a little more on simple angular movement, in other words you HAVE to twist it x amount of degrees to get out, and in my experience, the crank brothers were worst in low-speed falls, because if you tried to turn your heel the opposite direction (chainstay is usually in the way) or didn't get it far enough in the "correct" direction, you'd fall every time without being able to release. SPDs are a little more forgiving in the "panic yank" situations. You still have to train yourself a bit to release, which is best done in a park on soft grass, but it's a little more forgiving for direction, and then shimano also makes "multi-directional release" cleats, which help even more with this. The "smooth" action of times and CBs is sometimes preferred by some people, but I've had more reliable results with SPDs, although Time at least makes a strong pedal that doesn't disintegrate like CBs.
    Well said. Looking at the video again you can see I clearly didn't get my foot pivioted "x" amount to unclip. All 3 nasty falls for me have been low speed climbing. I fall enought on the down, I don't need to add nasty climbing falls to my rides. Back to Flats for a few weeks. I really like the Times and like you said they really hold up to our riding conditions but I'll save them for the single speed for now............. Drew

  35. #35
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,549
    SS is all that I ride clipped, anything else is on flats. I had a tip over the other night while climbing SS, first time falling in the dark, it sucks.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,982
    That reminds of a story when I tried out a the clipless pedals. Of course I didn't realize that you can loosen up the setting up at the time.
    I stopped my bike for this hot girl jogger... and fell over like an idiot in to nearby bush right of front of her.

    I wouldn't dream riding clipless-LESS today, I just make sure it's always in the loosest setting. I do occasionally clip out unintended but the ability to easily clip out saved my ass too many times...

  37. #37
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    That reminds of a story when I tried out a the clipless pedals. Of course I didn't realize that you can loosen up the setting up at the time.
    I stopped my bike for this hot girl jogger... and fell over like an idiot in to nearby bush right of front of her.

    I wouldn't dream riding clipless-LESS today, I just make sure it's always in the loosest setting. I do occasionally clip out unintended but the ability to easily clip out saved my ass too many times...
    This happens to me with flats as well!!!!!!!

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    310
    Drew

    Do you want a better alternative clip-in solution? This one I use for anyone I am introducing to clips/cleats.
    Michael
    old guy

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    This happens to me with flats as well!!!!!!!
    Makes for a great pick up line.

  40. #40
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by masterp2 View Post
    Drew

    Do you want a better alternative clip-in solution? This one I use for anyone I am introducing to clips/cleats.
    I KNOW.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •