Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Got a suspension fork

Verizon vs ATT coverage for MTB

Two years ago Verizon had much better cell coverage out of the metropolitan area, good for mountain biking out and about.

Any feedback as to whether that is the same situation today? Gearing up for a new phone and wondering if I'm better off sticking to Verizon or switching to ATT.

Thanks
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    I am watching this...good question. I have been with Sprint for oveer ten years, and since moving to the Arrowhead area three years ago, get terrible coverage in my own home. Its also not too great outside of the metro area unless you are on the freeway. The unlimited family share plan is cheaper than anyone out there, but would like some better coverage when riding too.

Vincit qui patitur
    ATT I'm pretty sure still has crappy customer service and less than par coverage.
    I switched to T-mobile years ago and have no problems while riding, motorcycling, camping and 4wheeling. I have a lot of 4wheeling friends that have not had problems with verizon. Most of them get better coverage than others.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    I'm a Verizon customer. There aren't many places that phone doesn't work. That said, I'm on a discount I got through an employer and without it, my plan would be over $100 a month, as opposed to the $85 I currently pay(which is still too much.) And that's only 450 anytime, unlimited text, and 4GB net. I haven't come close to using any of the caps though. My phone positively would not work in Mohave County. Verizon wrote off Kingman and their nearest tower is in Bullhead. Whatever third party guy they rented the tower space from wouldn't recognize my phone(Samsung Charge.) I called Verizon about it, but no help, just a dead phone. Soon as I got out of Mohave, back to life. I'd get 10 texts, emails, and voice mails all at once.

When my contract is up, will I renew? I dunno. Smart phones are fun, but Verizon is really proud. Do I really need Words with Friends when I'm out on the trails?

My other ride is your mom
    Verizon....end of story. I get verizon coverage in some spots in the Inner Basin.....crazy!!!!!

mtbr member
    I had a clear verizon signal at Kinnikinick lake... I can't believe the coverage I get with this phone..

mtbr member
    For most of SE AZ Verizon is the best. I work (Nogales to NM) and ride (AZTrail Seg3) in pretty remote areas and it's been better than anything else out there.
    Cheers,
    M

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    ATT I'm pretty sure still has crappy customer service and less than par coverage.
    I switched to T-mobile years ago and have no problems while riding, motorcycling, camping and 4wheeling. I have a lot of 4wheeling friends that have not had problems with verizon. Most of them get better coverage than others.
    I had TMobile before going to Verizon, and had tremendously better coverage with Verizon.

Meatbomb
    Survey says ...... Verizon .

Elitest thrill junkie
    Verizon...except for Alaska. Worked great in AZ and all over the lower 48 for me. Didn't work worth a crap in AK.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    On the Flag to Grand Canyon ride a few weeks ago I was able to use my Verizon phone everywhere I tried (only a couple of times to check my business but it worked).

Others were complaining that their phones were not working.

Not sure on their carriers...

Nancy and I both have iPhones. She has AT&T - I have Verizon.

Verizon has FAR more coverage out in the boonies than AT&T. Many times when we are out I have coverage and she does not. As a matter of fact, out here in Rio Verde, Verizon is the only company that has coverage.

Verizon all the way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have Verizon and havent had any dead zones. Not sure about ATT but I think they have something similar to Verizons new data plan packages.

Not sure about their 4G coverage as I have a 3G phone but works well for me.

Each time my contract expires I look more and more at sprint though cause Verizon's rates keep going up and up. Going to stay as long as I possibly can on their unlimited plan..

pedaller
    Verizon.

I used to have AT&T and my wife had Verizon. She always had better coverage. AT&T always had "phoney bars" until I actually wanted to use the phone...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    May 2005
    From a search and rescue point of view in northern AZ, Verizon has no compitition when it comes to signal. Even if I can't get out by phone I can almost always still send a text. AT&T is easier to track "if " you can get a signal. I too get a government employee discount and never come close to using the texting, data or minutes. For backcountry travel Verizon is the one to go with.

mtbr member
    Verizon's iphone 4s and 5 has CDMA and GSM capabilites.
    I know they allow roaming in GSM in other countries, I don't know about US.
    BUt if you could roam GSM in US and had already awesome Verizon CDMA coverage - then this would be the ultimate coverage phone.

mtbr member
    I have Verizon, and unless I'm out somewhere pretty remote, I usually get service beyond my AT&T friends.
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Here's another vote for Verizon. I spend a fair amount of time out 4 wheeling/exploring and it's pretty amazing what kind of back country coverage you can get with Verizon.

Huffy Rider
    Verizon

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    I am watching this...good question. I have been with Sprint for oveer ten years, and since moving to the Arrowhead area three years ago, get terrible coverage in my own home. Its also not too great outside of the metro area unless you are on the freeway. The unlimited family share plan is cheaper than anyone out there, but would like some better coverage when riding too.
    Yeah, we need to start a "Sprint Sucks" support group. I have to go to my back porch to make any sort of phone call.

In conclusion, don't get Sprint. Unless you think "find the signal" would be an amusing game......

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Verizon - everywhere minus the back side of Deems

Andrew
    As a T-Mobile customer that shares towers with AT&T... definitely Verizon.

Sprint has pretty good coverage out here too, surprisingly.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    My father in-law is a field service guy for AT&T. The company phone that he carries has service from Verizon. What does that tell you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch View Post
    My father in-law is a field service guy for AT&T. The company phone that he carries has service from Verizon. What does that tell you?
    lol To funny! Like fed ex using UPS to ship a "fedex" store sign! bwaaaahahahaha!

Verizon all the way! Out in the dezert all the time at races, verizon constantly gets service almos everywhere!
    Heck, I even get service 15 feet below the ground inside a concrete fuel storage vault at work in the middle of tonopah!!!!

Got a suspension fork

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast