mtbr member

Used "cheap" bike wanted

I have a friend that wants to start mtn biking on the cheap to see if he likes it or not. He is looking for an inexpensive ($200-$400) bike to start with. I recommended that he start with a hardtail fo simplicity and to keep costs down. I have many spare parts that I would give him to get a fixer upper trail ready. If anyone has a complete or near complete bike they would like to part with let me know.

Alan

******ed or Branded??
    well i got a 04' specialized fsr xc. i'll sell it to ya for like $300. It has done well enough for me but I have grown my skillz past that bike. nothing is really wrong with it just the rear hub shimmies a bit but nothing 20$ can't fix, i was supposed to take it back to the shop to get that taken care of but just been a bit lazy, and the front fork just got cleaned and relubed and refilled with fluid for the damping flow, also the spring in it is a firm spring. if you want specs go to specialized.com and look in the archive for the fsr xc 04'. The bike is stock but i just put some brand new tires (kenda nevegals 2.1) with 2 rides on it. I really liked the bike but just got to move up and on from up it so i picked up a 575 yeti. Anyway pm me if you want more info and I can delivery the bike to you if you want!! oh yeah by the way it is a L frame but feels like a medium it is a 18.5 in frame but labeled as a L frame. I am 5'10". I bought it from a friend which was about six months ago, he just used it in this fire road behind his house for knee rehab.

******ed or Branded??
    I forgot to mention that it was recently tuned by Arizona bike shop in Mesa. I put a new chain and new cassette. The only other thing that you may need to change after a few rides is the rear brake pads, but not till maybe about 100 miles at least. I may have the recipt some where, but by just looking at it you can tell it is new. Also I clean the bike almost every ride or at least every other ride. Oh yeah I just cleaned and relubed the BB cause it was drying out and creeking but now it is good to go!!!

Ridin' Dirty
    I have a '05 Specialized Hardrock (not with disk brakes) with pretty new Fire XC pros for $160. Bike is in good shape, used for about a year. Has your typical scratches.

shoot me a pm if you're interested.

-Bobby
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a klein attitude hardtail with hays disc brake thomson stem and set post carbon handle bar kenda tires I'll let go for 250.00.
    ed

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It would help to know what size frame/bike you are looking for?

mtbr member
    A medium frame would most likely work for this person. I would prefer to get him into a hardtail because he is a beginner rider and for cost/maintenance purposes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    You should get your friend on a full suspension bike if possible. All the expert advice I've read over the years is that a beginner will most likely stick to the sports if he/she enjoys the ride and the bike. Full suspension bikes will aid in this process by boosting his confidence going over technical areas. You know there are tons of rock gardens here in AZ. The novice rider won't feel as "beat up" at the end of the ride which may discourage him/her from riding again soon. Looks like there are some good deals on full-suspension being offered here! I'd definitely wouldn't get him into a brand new full-susser but a good used one should work great. Check the classifieds also available on this website.