Thread: Urban offroad?

Don't believe the Hype...

Urban offroad?

Does anyone else out there have some “urban” routes they use as a quick fix for a real ride? I’m talking about little trails cutting through green belts, power line areas, vacant lot type stuff, basically tying together whatever dirt you have around your house, like you did in 4th grade on your BMX? I’ve had to resort to this lately since I’m a 30 minute drive from any single track and on a tight schedule…
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

SoSlo
    What part of town are you in?

Just Joshin' ya!
    There is that huge hill behind the billboard at Indian School and Central that I has a run up to it like a bmx table top. I never rode it, but it looks like you could catch some serious air.

Also, I live .5 miles from SoMo so that is my urban fix when needed.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    I ride Shadow Mountain a lot, since I live right at the base of it. Not many trails, but a lot of technical ups and downs. (well, technical for me, I'm a newb)

The city actually put a bunch of posts in front of that Indian School launch spot so you can't hit it anymore. I never did, but I always stared at it in wonder when I would ride by.

parenting for gnarness
    what part of town?
    there are dark corners and trials to be found everywhere, you just gotta explore.

mtbr member
    I hear Feista mall has a world cup course.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bazooka_beard
    I ride Shadow Mountain a lot, since I live right at the base of it. Not many trails, but a lot of technical ups and downs. (well, technical for me, I'm a newb)

The city actually put a bunch of posts in front of that Indian School launch spot so you can't hit it anymore. I never did, but I always stared at it in wonder when I would ride by.
    Yes, so lame.
    That was a fun jump.
    Big grassy runout too, so you could go big.

I used to just ride urban downtown, jump off stuff. Broke a lot of bike parts that way.

Want a rush? Go full speed through downtown traffic at rush hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

107th ave and Indian School. There is zero evalvation change but I do have a whole lot of dirt around me at least. I've got canals, the Agua Fria river bed, farm roads, the dirt access roads long the 101 and I10, a couple golf courses, Cardinals Stadium, all within 3-4 miles. As long as you really push it, it's actually pretty fun. Just always looking for something to spice it up. I might have to bring my E tool with me next time it rains and enhance the route. Sometimes you just have to make do with what you got

www.krackedskulls.com

jimfab
    Hey

you could ride to the Estrella park in about 30 min. There are all kinds of Urban offroad opps between 107th and the park. Once in the park there is over 50 miles of ST to enjoy. It takes a while to get a handle on all the trails out there, but it is a blast. There is all kinds of roadside ST off litchfield rd south of the 10, and behind the auto mall on litchfield. The RID can get you almost anywhere you wanna get to. Even a few sets of stairs to enjoy if nobody is looking .

Let us know what you discover, i would like to add something like that to next years midnight century ride.

Cheers- Jim

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard
    107th ave and Indian School...
    LuckyUBastard...I'm right down street from you. Get a hold of me if you want to explore. I ride the RID weekly. I could use a buddy to explore the Aqua Fria.

SoSlo

Urban Offroad

I live in central phoenix/biltmore area so i'm not sure about out there. Your best bet is a shovel. There's tons of open areas around there where you could build. Me and a couple of buddies did some building up north when I lived up there... North Valley Parkway area... because there wasn't anywhere nearby.
    The Slow One

Quote Originally Posted by jimfab
    Hey

you could ride to the Estrella park in about 30 min. There are all kinds of Urban offroad opps between 107th and the park. Once in the park there is over 50 miles of ST to enjoy. It takes a while to get a handle on all the trails out there, but it is a blast. There is all kinds of roadside ST off litchfield rd south of the 10, and behind the auto mall on litchfield. The RID can get you almost anywhere you wanna get to. Even a few sets of stairs to enjoy if nobody is looking .

Let us know what you discover, i would like to add something like that to next years midnight century ride.

Cheers- Jim
    I'll have to swing out that way. What's the RID?

www.krackedskulls.com

jimfab
    Hey

It is the roosevelt irrigation district canal. Fun Fun

Rock

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yeah there isn't a whole lot to do over there. If you are willing to risk it riding through Westview campus is pretty cool. Pretty much just some stair drops.

Zipper
    A riverbed with steep sides, A few tools and a little bit of time sounds like a good option to me.
    Zipper aka Rob

Quote Originally Posted by h2ojunkie
    Yeah there isn't a whole lot to do over there. If you are willing to risk it riding through Westview campus is pretty cool. Pretty much just some stair drops.
    I just got home from longboarding the parking lot there... . I live about a half block away.

www.krackedskulls.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    lived on avondale and van buren forever, there is quite a bit around there to ride on but,
    anything in chandler-ish area?

Well I bought a DJ bike a few weeks ago and this makes this type of riding alot funner. I've found some pretty cool stuff to ride, you just have to be creative. There are some pretty fun ditches close by so I can actually can get in a pretty fun ride in a hour, which is normally just my drivetime to and from the trail head.
    Last edited by luckybastard; 11-15-2010 at 10:56 AM.

www.krackedskulls.com