Addicted to 2 wheels

Urban Moutain Biking - Creative Miles - Ride Report

I had to take my daughter to swim last night, and had 2 hours to kill. The land was flat, there were no trails around. I pumped up the tires to 50 PSI and headed out on a canal close by.

It was kind of fun to just go fast on flat terrain. Maybe it was the novelty of it, and I had never been to the area, so everything was new. You definetely pedal differently and can still make it a challenge. At least my legs were challenged, as it felt I could not get my heart rate up there.

It got more fun when I found a big park to ride through. It had hills and turns on a maze of concrete. I found some small but steep grass hills to climb and then zip down into little grass canyons and back up. That got the heart up, and was a bit like riding dunes or a skate ramp.

Later I found pretty easy access to a golf course. It was dark so I rode the whole thing on the cart path, with no lights on. It was fast, kind of turny, and some fun elevations changes. I stayed on the cart path, and would not think of getting near the greens, messing up the golfers game.

The whole thing brought me back to the days of being a kid on my BMX bike looking for stuff to ride and jump. I had a lot of fun with zero single track involved.

I think I will do some more of this kind of riding. Looking for the fun man made and natural obsticals in the city. Anyone else do this? What was your best urban ride?

Give it a crank
    On the days I don't go ride the dirt, I'm doing a ride pretty much like yours. I try to also hit a few easy dirt trails like Westworld and other lower trails in the McDowells to get a little dirt on the tires. Other times I'll mix in some PMP trail miles on rides from home too.

Golf courses are fun, but they're used from the first minute of sunlight to the very last minute so it's usually at night with lights. Sometimes they'll be deserted during bad weather and I usually try to sneak in while there's nobody in them except other sneaky poachers. Yesterday was too windy for most golfers so I got a good hour or so of heavenly golf path miles. I just make sure I leave no sign of a bike having been through there. Riding on the grass can do a lot of damage since bike tires are too skinny and sink into the dirt, good call on staying off the greens.

I ride calnal paths all the time too. And lately I've reached the Browns Ranch trailhead from home, over 16 miles away for some real miles. It would be easier on a road bike but I wouldn't be able to ride any of the dirt I usually try to do at least a few miles in. Now I'm working on reaching Papago some 15 miles from home.

mtbr member
    Back in the day when I had the privilege of owning multiple bikes, a nice Kona Stuff was in my quiver of bikes. We used to meet up in Hartford CT on Thursday nights (also big bar night there) and play in the parks, jump the steps, manual the park benches, etc. Also, the town I lived in, we had a skate park that was fun to play in, with a college campus in between my house and it. We'd pedal through the small campus, play on the walls and curbs, than go ride the skate park. Always fun. I really miss that bike. It's hard to kill a Kona hardtail.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

livin' the dream......
    I have several miles of dirt paths that surround my neighborhood and a few miles of concrete paths that go through it. There is a greenbelt that runs along one of the paths, and there is a fun section that is like a half pipe and is currently scraped down for overseeding, so I need to hit that quickly! I can put a good loop in with the kids, and only a few residential streets to cross and end up with a 6-8 mile ride. Bonus points: we ride to a park at the far end of the green belt, and I turn some of the playground equipment into my gym while the kids play. Can get a great work out in, plus the ride and time spent with the kids. Win, win & win!! I don't always need single track to make me smile (but it does help....!)