mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Two months left in AZ- what rides?

Sadly, i am being moved back to the midwest in August. Ive hit south mountain, sedona, gold canyon, flagstaff on a tegular basis since i moved to AZ. If you had two months left, what in the area would you make sure to hit?

Meatbomb
    Bct ...
    Last edited by Phillbo; 05-14-2018 at 10:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    If you are up for an epic ride, perhaps the Lemmon Drop in Tucson.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Is she listed on trailforks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jl84 View Post
    Is she listed on trailforks?
    www.trailforks.com/trails/old-man

Elitest thrill junkie
    Pinals, Bill Williams, White Mountains, Circle Trail...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Rainbow Rim....and then Gooseberry Mesa/Hurricane, UT area while you're out there.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Sadly, i am being moved back to the midwest in August. Ive hit south mountain, sedona, gold canyon, flagstaff on a tegular basis since i moved to AZ. If you had two months left, what in the area would you make sure to hit?
    Hawes Loop in Mesa and Los Burros in Show Low are two must rides before you leave.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    What type of riding do you like to do, and how long can you ride?

Hawes - Without a doubt. 2-3 hour ride in the morning.
    Prescott - Depends what kind of riding you like. Lots of options.
    Mt Lemon
    50 Year Trail in N Tucson - Might be hot. Early morning
    Picket Post - Too hot. Maybe do an ONB
    Pinal Six Shooter Shuttles - Getting warm. Need a group

The Utah locations above would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    What type of riding do you like to do, and how long can you ride?

Hawes - Without a doubt. 2-3 hour ride in the morning.
    Prescott - Depends what kind of riding you like. Lots of options.
    Mt Lemon
    50 Year Trail in N Tucson - Might be hot. Early morning
    Picket Post - Too hot. Maybe do an ONB
    Pinal Six Shooter Shuttles - Getting warm. Need a group

The Utah locations above would be awesome.
    I prefer some climbing and while I can survive rocky gnar, trails like National are my limit (and even that is pushing it.) I'm on a 120mm 29er trail bike. What would you recommend for a loop at Hawes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    If you donít think you will make it out west again soon. Iíd hit up St. George / Hurricane and Moab in Utah. Both about 8 hour drive from the Valley. You could ride epics like Zens and Barrel Roll in St George. And Classics like Skickrock and Porcupine Rim in Moab.

If you could take a day off work and have a three day weekend 2 days of riding at each location is plenty of time to hit some of the epics.

Always in the wrong gear
    If you haven't ridden BCT, do that ASAP before it gets too hot. It's wild, rugged, beautiful and unlike anything else in AZ. It's got chunk and tech, but I've ridden all but one section of it on a rigid SS. I don't recommend that, it beat me up a fair bit, but it's doable.

Then I'd do as much Preskit as I could before breezing through Moab and Grand Junction on the way east. Or 4-corners for a Durango/ Phil's World weekend.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

My other ride is your mom
    Study this list and start ticking them off:

Top 10 Most Underestimated AZ Rides

mtbr member
    I prefer some climbing and while I can survive rocky gnar, trails like National are my limit (and even that is pushing it.) I'm on a 120mm 29er trail bike. What would you recommend for a loop at Hawes?
    Prescott. Great for climbing with some chunk to keep you honest, but not so much to beat you into a pulp or kill you like national tries to do.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    If you haven't ridden BCT, do that ASAP before it gets too hot. It's wild, rugged, beautiful and unlike anything else in AZ. It's got chunk and tech, but I've ridden all but one section of it on a rigid SS. I don't recommend that, it beat me up a fair bit, but it's doable.
    Thought about recommending this, but it's the hot time of the year and the logistics get a lot more complicated given how remote this trail is and the length. Still, if you can swing it, stage water and supplies at the various intersections with humanity and get it set up as a shuttle from the North end to the South. I just think logistically having this work out with the weather so you can ride the whole thing with the shuttle and supplies is going to get a bit tricky....but if you can, go for it. Top off your sealant and bring tubes, plugs and patches.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think BCT is awesome if you donít live and ride in AZ. If you live here itís sorta of meh.... Maybe cause itís a local trail for me and I have ridden often. If you have ridden other places among saguaro then you not really missing much. It does have so fun downhill from Rock Springs down. But itís too hot this time of year and dangerous to be out there alone.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Thought about recommending this, but it's the hot time of the year and the logistics get a lot more complicated given how remote this trail is and the length. Still, if you can swing it, stage water and supplies at the various intersections with humanity and get it set up as a shuttle from the North end to the South. I just think logistically having this work out with the weather so you can ride the whole thing with the shuttle and supplies is going to get a bit tricky....but if you can, go for it. Top off your sealant and bring tubes, plugs and patches.
    Not bike packing the whole thing, or even shuttling....Although Bumblebee to Rock Springs is schweeet!
    Emery-Henderson to Table Mesa and back, Pan Loop and or south from Rock Springs to Table Mesa, North from Rock Springs to..wherever... all about a 3-hour ride.

It was 87 here today. gonna be below 90 all week.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    I think BCT is awesome if you donít live and ride in AZ. If you live here itís sorta of meh.... Maybe cause itís a local trail for me and I have ridden often. If you have ridden other places among saguaro then you not really missing much. It does have so fun downhill from Rock Springs down. But itís too hot this time of year and dangerous to be out there alone.
    I don't live there and agree with the "meh" comment. It's not that it's bad or not fun but it's just a run of the mill trail overall IMO. There's nothing that makes it stand out and make it special. To be honest, after riding it from Rock Springs, I[m surprised it's such a highly recommended trail. I like/love the Cactus Cup Race Loop much better.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Hawes is tame compared to National. Based on your description, I think Hawes would be a real good fit for you. A very simple route would be to park at Walgreens and then do an Out N Back to NRA. Pick any route on Trail Forks.

To maximize the route go this way: Fenceline, left on Hawes, Right on Saguaro, Right on Upper Ridge, Right on Saddle, Left on Secret, Right/Straight back on to Saddle, Right on Saguaro (good climb), Right on to Twisted Sister, Right on Wild Horse. Turn around when you start seeing jump and the trail turns to two track. Come back on Wild Horse, go right on Twisted and pick up Horse Tail Left, Right on Saguaro, followed by quicl left to stay on Saguaro. Left on Granite, Right on Upper Ridge, Left on Hawes, stay right and it brings you back to Fenceline, go right, and you are out.

Follow trail Forks. You can deviate from this in many places to make a shorter route. Highlights of this route are: Secret, Twisted Sister DH, Wild Horse Westbound, Horse Tail, Upper Ridge DH

This route will be around 18 or so miles with around 1,800 feet of climbing. Give yourself around 2:30-3:30 based on your fitness and breaks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    ... I like/love the Cactus Cup Race Loop much better.
    Cactus cup? That is at McDowells. I think you have that wrong
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I don't think he has it wrong. I think he means its a better trail and you get a lot of the same scenery. For that matter I would recommend Pima/ Dynamite I think you get the same type of classic AZ scenery with out the remote location or logistics. But I understand that sometimes being remote is the appeal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    I don't think he has it wrong. I think he means its a better trail and you get a lot of the same scenery. For that matter I would recommend Pima/ Dynamite I think you get the same type of classic AZ scenery with out the remote location or logistics. But I understand that sometimes being remote is the appeal
    Exactly...I was implying that *I* prefer riding the Cave Creek Cactus Cup race loop over the BCT out of the Rock Creek TH. More scenic, more variety. Others may not share that opinion and that's okay too.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

My other ride is your mom
    All right...my previous recommendation is ill informed for the summer month crowd.....caveat lector

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Cave Creek Cactus Classic

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Exactly...I was implying that *I* prefer riding the Cave Creek Cactus Cup race loop over the BCT out of the Rock Creek TH. More scenic, more variety. Others may not share that opinion and that's okay too.
    It is called Cave Creek Cactus Classic (aka C4) Not Cactus Cup. That is a different race. C4 is pretty, but BCT Little Pan Loop (RS and around Little Pan) is a much better rider. Harder despite the similar distance. I have ridden both many times.
    Joe