Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EMFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    543

    Turkey day in Phoenix

    Hey guys

    I get to spend Thanksgiving Weekend in Phoenix and I get to bring the bike with me. Looking at riding Friday and Saturday morning. Anyone want to show a SOCAL guy around? I know I want to ride South Mountain and possibly Hawes Road. Any takers?

    Thanks!
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

  2. #2
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    811
    HEEEYOOOOOOHH! (that's my Hacksaw Jim Dugun impersonation)

    What part of town are you staying on? I know I'll be riding, but not sure when. There will defiantly be some rides though...
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  3. #3
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,822
    Yea, where ya gonna be at?
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EMFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    543
    I'll be in Surprise, but I have no issue driving or getting up early to ride.
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

  5. #5
    Just Joshin' ya!
    Reputation: PrincipalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,829
    I am waiting for some rides to be posted for Thursday-Sunday. Really, this four day stretch could be a Fall Fling, followed by DurtGurl's Winter Fling during the Christmas holiday, all in preparation for the official Arizona Spring Fling in March. Maybe instead of being lazy, I will just post some rides.

    So, I guess what I am saying is, when you see some rides posted, join in!
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

  6. #6
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,822
    Quote Originally Posted by EMFC
    I'll be in Surprise, but I have no issue driving or getting up early to ride.
    I will be at my in-laws those four days for the holiday also.

    Thursday the wife and I are road riding by my house (East Valley).

    Friday is double secret probation riding.

    Saturday to be determined but probably a road ride from the in-laws' house.

    Sunday I'm riding the Estrellas which aren't great trails but not bad either. I only ride them about 3 X's a year so they're still 'fresh' to me.

    Let me know if interested.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EMFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    543
    NMPhi767 I responded you your other post.
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

  8. #8
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I will be at my in-laws those four days for the holiday also.

    Thursday the wife and I are road riding by my house (East Valley).

    Friday is double secret probation riding.

    Saturday to be determined but probably a road ride from the in-laws' house.

    Sunday I'm riding the Estrellas which aren't great trails but not bad either. I only ride them about 3 X's a year so they're still 'fresh' to me.

    Let me know if interested.
    Did youever hit FINs? It's just about the same distance and way better?
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  9. #9
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by EMFC
    I'll be in Surprise, but I have no issue driving or getting up early to ride.
    Check out the Goat Camp thread or trail reviews. It's right by Surprise. Hawes is probably 60 miles...
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EMFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    543
    cool thanks I found my buddy Bill's write up:

    http://www.mountainbikebill.com/AZ08WhiteTanks-Day3.htm

    I
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

  11. #11
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by EMFC
    cool thanks I found my buddy Bill's write up:

    http://www.mountainbikebill.com/AZ08WhiteTanks-Day3.htm

    I
    Great write up. He's right on with the description. I only ride the XC version, up to the Gnarly downhill and turn around and go back. It's still a blast.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  12. #12
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,822
    Nope. I've heard it's nice but since it's still 'technically' illegal, I have no interest. Now once it becomes 'officially' legal, I'd love to try it.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  13. #13
    Don't believe the Hype...
    Reputation: luckybastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    Nope. I've heard it's nice but since it's still 'technically' illegal, I have no interest. Now once it becomes 'officially' legal, I'd love to try it.
    Are you on Parole? lol...

    It's owned buy the community and just part of the community.

    Property Information

    http://maricopa.gov/Assessor/GIS/Map...TS=mi&EXT=.MWF

    http://www.estrellamonthly.com/

    "Estrella Mountain Ranch residents appreciate the finer things in life... from the homes where we live and entertain to the schools where our children learn, the parks where they play, the churches where we worship, the lakes we walk around or sail, the golf course we enjoy, the trails we hike, and the Residents' Club where we attend classes, work out, swim, or gather with friends for a quick lunch."
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

    www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mb300's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    384
    A) When did it become illegal to ride goat camp? I thought it was a "not recommended for mountain bikes" kind of trail.

    B) Its not as bad as MTB-Bill has it made out to be (but it sure isn't easy either, next time I'm bringing a bigger bike). Ever since moving to SoCal Dre and I have had to re-vamp our terminology to suit the "California Pansie":

    California to AZ Trail Interpreter:
    "Mountain Biking" = Riding your $4000 Carbon Fiber Epic S-works on a perfectly groomed fire road
    "Moderate Difficulty" = Scattered rocks can be found on the above fire road
    "Downhill" = The fireroad goes down
    "Extremely Technical" = There is a switchback somewhere on the trail
    "Unpassable" = Desert Classic
    -MitchB

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by mb300

    California to AZ Trail Interpreter:
    "Mountain Biking" = Riding your $4000 Carbon Fiber Epic S-works on a perfectly groomed fire road
    "Moderate Difficulty" = Scattered rocks can be found on the above fire road
    "Downhill" = The fireroad goes down
    "Extremely Technical" = There is a switchback somewhere on the trail
    "Unpassable" = Desert Classic
    Kinda thinking I should cross post this entry over on the So Cal board. heeheehee

  16. #16
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,822
    GC is not illegal and I've ridden it several times. Great trail! FINS is the one I speak of. And it is the one which should not be named on the AZ board as some people are REALLY offended by it. I'm not but don't want to ride it yet either.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EMFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Kinda thinking I should cross post this entry over on the So Cal board. heeheehee

    They are to busy fighting among themselves to care.
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BritMtnBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by EMFC
    Hey guys

    I get to spend Thanksgiving Weekend in Phoenix and I get to bring the bike with me. Looking at riding Friday and Saturday morning. Anyone want to show a SOCAL guy around? I know I want to ride South Mountain and possibly Hawes Road. Any takers?

    Thanks!
    Hey if your bringing your rigid with you I live off of SOMO and also ride SS rigid and will be out on Saturday morning for ride. Let me know if you want to do the SS thing and we can do a fun tour of good SS trails. I will post it up for other SS'ers if their out there or even peeps with more modern technology can join in!!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EMFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    543
    Sounds cool, check you PM's.
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •