Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HighSpeedChase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    130

    Tucson! What is THE ride?

    Hey all!

    Visiting some family down in Tucson this weekend for Easter. I plan on bringing the Yeti 575 to play on some of your excellent trails I keep hearing about!

    So with that being said I'll probably have Friday afternoon and Saturday Morning to ride. What's THE ride or ride's i need to hit with the little time that I have?

    Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
    Ride: 2014 Yeti SB66AC

  2. #2
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,031
    Do you like some tech? I'm no Tucson expert but if I only had a few hours to burn I'd get a ride up to Molino Basin and drop down from there to La Milagrosa. Should take a couple hours. If you have more time you can start higher at Bug Springs to Prison Camp to Millie. That adds a lot of time but there are opportunities to bail onto the highway and bomb down Mt. Lemmon. You're 575 will thank you.

    check this out, it's a full meal deal but you can use it for reference. Lemmon Drop 2012 | PedalPics

    If you're not into good A/M riding or tech then forget my suggestion The Lemmon Drop just might be the best ride in AZ (imo) if you don't mind some HAB and plenty of tech. Best done with another rider if you're a Lemon virgin. I think most would consider this a ride for the 'advanced' rider....and this is by AZ standards where technical trails are commonly found. Bring lots of water and some food if you start high. Despite the elevation loss you will still pedal plenty and burn a ton of calories.

    But you did ask for THE RIDE...this is it.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 03-28-2013 at 12:22 AM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    315
    edr is right, a shuttle up mt. Lemmon starting at Bug Springs trailhead is THE ride. But I would suggest Golder Ranch upper and middle gate if you don't want to shuttle. I would do that Friday and Brown mtn. or Upper Javelina/Wild Mustang in the morning. Pm me if you want more specific info.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,622
    So far, some great recommendations.

    In addition, you can put together a great loop with or without wicked tech in a combo ride of Tucson Mountain Park, Brown Mounatin, and Robles. There are over 40 miles of trails available in that area. The most techie sections would include trails with names like Hooligan, Wagon Wheel, Wormhole, Krien, Golden Gate, Brown Mountain, Cat Mountain, Flight Path (aka Mission In Rockable), among others. The more XC stuff is just about anything that I didn't mention. Plenty of intermediate stuff. Not a whole lot of easy stuff.
    -- Evil Patrick

    My Music

    My Videos

    Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

  5. #5
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,514
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Do you like some tech? I'm no Tucson expert but if I only had a few hours to burn I'd get a ride up to Molino Basin and drop down from there to La Milagrosa. Should take a couple hours. If you have more time you can start higher at Bug Springs to Prison Camp to Millie. That adds a lot of time but there are opportunities to bail onto the highway and bomb down Mt. Lemmon. You're 575 will thank you.
    Be prepared for some horrendous HaB. The hike up to Bugs was steeper but shorter. Milagrosa was not as steep but longer. Took most of my energy and left little for the actual ride. But, it seems like everyone on here is in much better shape than me so I suspect you will be as well. If you are in good shape and like chunk Milagrosa will be a blast for you.

    Can't wait to try something higher up without the life sucking HaB. If there is such a trail on Lemmon...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,622
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Can't wait to try something higher up without the life sucking HaB. If there is such a trail on Lemmon...
    The stuff higher on Lemmon is just as demanding. Actually, if you're not aclimated to 9000 ft elevation, it can seem even more demanding.

    I have a little loop I do at the top that is about 22 miles and has about 5K of climbing.
    None of the climbing is HaB, but it's very taxing.
    -- Evil Patrick

    My Music

    My Videos

    Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

  7. #7
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick View Post
    The stuff higher on Lemmon is just as demanding. Actually, if you're not aclimated to 9000 ft elevation, it can seem even more demanding.
    Oh, yeah. I always forget about that. The HaB at the beginning of Bugs was definitely more difficult because of that elevation. Molino/Milagrosa didn't seem as taxing in that sense but by the time I got there I was already beaten down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick View Post
    I have a little loop I do at the top that is about 22 miles and has about 5K of climbing.
    None of the climbing is HaB, but it's very taxing.
    If 22 miles and 5k feet of elevation gain is a "little loop" then it's probably safe to assume I'll never be able to hang with you... Not that I'm surprised.

  8. #8
    Plus size jersey model
    Reputation: bigworm520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,197
    Patrick stop talking about the Lemmon Meringue Loop its making me hungry. Might actually give it a go in a few weeks to see what it looks like up there. Need me some 5k of climbing action in the high trees real soon.

    Anyway as for THE Tucson ride I would also say Bugs thru Millie Run. The Bugs HaB does suck a little but its not horrendous it only takes about 15minutes. Great territory for a 575.

    Next if the shuttle thing cant work out is 50yr like phatass said. Upper and Middle gates and throw in a littel chute action.

    Next would either be a Torts rides or maybe some AZT action. I guess it might help to know what side of town you are on and how far you wanna drive. Thats if you even decide to make it down to the 3rd choice.

    BigO we need to get you down here for some serious HaB sessions. J-Bake and myself have a thing for HaB and could show you some stuff waaaaaay better then Bugs. Agua Caliente and Sammie come to mind

  9. #9
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,514
    Quote Originally Posted by bigworm520 View Post
    BigO we need to get you down here for some serious HaB sessions. J-Bake and myself have a thing for HaB and could show you some stuff waaaaaay better then Bugs. Agua Caliente and Sammie come to mind
    Actually, I didn't think bugs was that great. There were spots that were challenging but in all honesty I'd say it was a solid "mediocre."

    Milagrosa would have been WAAAAAAY fun had I the energy left to ride it. Would like another shot at the "waterfall" and the "straight off the tip of the pointed rock" line. I rode the girl's line to the left and it was still a challenge but it doesn't have the rock star status that the other line would.

    Would really like to avoid as much HaB as possible, though. Maybe someday I'll be in good enough shape to hike a bunch and still enjoy the riding afterward. As of right now I'm not positive either trail was worth the HaB for me. Not because either wasn't particularly fun, they both were, but because the HaB robbed me of the energy I need to ride and and actually enjoy it.

    But that's just me and I know most people are in much better shape than me.

  10. #10
    Plus size jersey model
    Reputation: bigworm520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,197
    Definitely Lemmons one big flaw. There is HaB on pretty much every single trail on the mountain. Guess we just get a little numb to it. Aspen Draw which is the closes thing we have up there to a true DH run and even it has a spot that requires you to get off.

  11. #11
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,514
    Quote Originally Posted by bigworm520 View Post
    Definitely Lemmons one big flaw. There is HaB on pretty much every single trail on the mountain. Guess we just get a little numb to it. Aspen Draw which is the closes thing we have up there to a true DH run and even it has a spot that requires you to get off.
    If I rode up there all the time I'd certainly grow accustomed to it. I'd be a better rider, too

    I do remember a spot I got off on Aspen. Can't remember if it was 'cause I was a puss or because I had to. Fun trail, though. Too bad it's so short. And we can't ride the lift to the top.

  12. #12
    Ow!
    Reputation: clydecrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedChase View Post
    Hey all!

    Visiting some family down in Tucson this weekend for Easter. I plan on bringing the Yeti 575 to play on some of your excellent trails I keep hearing about!

    So with that being said I'll probably have Friday afternoon and Saturday Morning to ride. What's THE ride or ride's i need to hit with the little time that I have?

    Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
    Sounds like you might be short on travel time--if so, a couple of previous suggestions would be best. Check out the Robles trails. Easy to get to. Mostly intermediate, but there are some tougher stretches, and even a few tough trails. Also the 50-year area, especially the trails going up in the foothills can be bunches of fun. The main 50-year trail is fun, but a 575 is overkill for it (well, my Blur LTc was overkill anyway, and I am an old, fat biker, but it was still fun).

    Also, check out Mountain Biking Tucson - Tucson MTB. That is where the most knowledgable Tucson MTB geeks hang out.

    It is going to be gorgeous this weekend, so have fun.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HighSpeedChase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    130
    Oh man thanks so much everyone for the info!

    Unfortunately I'm not gonna make it out this weekend. My uncle passed away last night so I had to cancel my plans to help my Aunt with his affairs.

    I definitely want to get down there though and hit all these awesome trails! Probably next weekend or weekend after that I'll have to make a special trip!
    Ride: 2014 Yeti SB66AC

  14. #14
    dft
    dft is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,047
    eatridedrink

    that is a great post. is there a map off all the trails you to do that route?

    and what is the incenerator trail really like?
    thanks

    ps. you need to come out to socal and do this ride, 100% HAB, trail drops 8000 vert in 11 miles (we just went up 6000 that day)

    Ride Report Cactus To Clouds With The King of HAB
    Last edited by dft; 03-29-2013 at 04:35 PM.

  15. #15
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,031

    Re: Tucson! What is THE ride?

    Quote Originally Posted by dft View Post
    eatridedrink

    that is a great post. is there a map off all the trails you to do that route?

    and what is the incenerator trail really like?
    thanks

    ps. you need to come out to socal and do this ride, 100% HAB, trail drops 8000 vert in 11 miles (we just went up 6000 that day)

    Ride Report Cactus To Clouds With The King of HAB
    I guess I should have clarified in my post, that link I provided in that trip report is not from me. I poached it from a current thread regarding Mount Lemmon. There's lots info on the net to be found about riding at Mount Lemmon. If I had something handy I would share with you, maybe if I come across something tonight I'll send you a few links.

    Thanks for the invite I haven't checked out that trip report yet but I will sometime tonight.

  16. #16
    Plus size jersey model
    Reputation: bigworm520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,197
    DFT thats my ride report. If you om me your email I can send you the gps file. Its a whole mess of different trails.

Similar Threads

  1. GNAR Places to ride around Tucson
    By slalomnorth65 in forum Arizona
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-31-2012, 09:25 PM
  2. Where to ride in Tucson?!
    By SC Eric in forum Arizona
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-22-2011, 02:46 AM
  3. Tucson Mountains - monthly ride set up
    By shawnkeeler in forum Arizona
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-12-2011, 12:50 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-15-2011, 10:36 AM
  5. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 04:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •