workin' it Administrator

Good job! Tucson weekend ride report

Well, for those of you who didn't come because you thought it would be too windy you made a tactical mistake.

While the wind was in the 40mph range in the valley, north of Oro Valley there was no wind.

That is right...None.

It was at least 10F warmer and felt like a perfect AZ spring day.

We rode from Honeywell through Catalina state park to the equestrian center to the 50 year trail.

Following the 50 year trail up to golder ranch road then on to the Chutes. From there we follow what is alternately called deer camp/or upper 50 year all the way around to the wash.

We then rode back to the 50 year trail and headed back to Catalina state park and finally back to the cars.

Total ride time: around 4hrs. total distance was around 22mi. Technical rating was around 3 out a 5 and endurance rating was around 4 out of 5

At Honeywell we started with 5 people including Sikwoodbiker, mattyd and myself plus Doug B, Mike and Rick B.

At the chutes we picked up AZFlyer and MountainMan.

The ride went without incident except that AZFlyer got really sick. He made it home though but he did not look too good. Very pale.

We made it back to the cars after leaving Mountainman and AZflyer after deer camp.

I ran out a water right before returning to the cars. I guess I need to start planning for the warmer temperatures again.

Pictures to follow.
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 03-05-2007 at 08:06 AM.
    Try this: HTFU

workin' it Administrator

Pictures from the ride

1. Gathering at the parking. All commenting on how not windy it is.
    2. Doug, mike and mattyd while we regrouped at golder ranch road.
    3. Doug B and Mike on his new SIR9 SS at the big rock face on Upper 50.
    4. Mattyd striking a pose at the rock face. Only one water bottle the whole ride.
    5. MountainMan approaching the rock face after the rock step up. Only Full suspension on whole ride. Rest of us on hardtails. What a rarity.
    Attached Images Attached Images

workin' it Administrator

More Pictures

6. Rick B making the climb to the rock face on his son's hardtail since he broke his Giant AC2 and is awaiting warranty replacement. To quote: "Geez it is nice to climb on such a light bike" and "Man it sucks to descend on such a rigid bike"
    7. Rick and Mike in the twisties on the way back to Catalina State Park. Very fun trail.
    8. Sikwoodbiker in the same section. He rode the whole way in Vans sneaker (skull checks I think) and flat pedals and still rocked it and his shins didn't show any signs of any pedal marks. Although he did admit to me that it might be time to go back to clipless.

Plus size jersey model
    Thanks for setting the ride up Dave, had a blast. Glad I had Rick to hang out in the back to.

Architect

sorry I missed this one.

Man! I'm sorry that I missed this ride. Been too busy with work and family to catch up w/ the boards.

When and where is the next Tucson group ride?
    Jake
    _________
    In Place Architecture
    Mountain Bike in Tucson:
    http://tucsonbiketrails.wikispaces.com

workin' it Administrator
    I think that I will be trying to organize more of these over the spring.

I will be out after next weekend for two weeks but after that I have the following rides in the pipeline:

Milagrosa

reddington/AZ trail epic loop

New AZ trail recon

golden gate/brown mountain/starr pass loop figure eight

maybe some others

Next weekend I am up for an FI blast if anyone is interested. Probably Sat or Sun in the morning.

mtbr member
    Great photos and a fun ride. I enjoyed hooking up with you guys. I think I'll work on the jump near the step up for a better action photo of me next time around (LOL).

AZ (Erin) looked much better by the time we hit the Golder parking area and was more than willing to take the single track all the way back to the parking area.

mtbr member
    FI blast? I thought you had an IF

Seriously though, what's a FI blast? If it involves a ride, I'm in.
    Let me know when and where.

workin' it Administrator
    you know hitting FI (you know FI.....like Fantasy Island) like you are blasted out of cannon. Shock and Awe all the way.

Spin those cranks like a hamster on crack! Single speed till your legs fall off.

I will contact and/or post a time and day.

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    While the wind was in the 40mph range in the valley, north of Oro Valley there was no wind.

That is right...None.
    Yeah, wasn't it great out there? I was shocked by how calm and warm it was.

I was a bit behind you guys, riding through the state park, backwards on deer camp, then CP singletrack to buddha trail. Would have joined you, but noticed the posting too late and needed to see if I could follow buddha solo.

Highlights included a large herd of Javelina, several hawks and did I already mention the lack of wind?!

No riding shots, but this was a great place to relax and enjoy the solitude. Not to mention a great place to play around on the rock.

I also ran out of water coming back on the lower 50. I raced to get back here:

That little pipe served up liquid gold as far as I'm concerned. Some of the best water I've had in a long time.

Thanks for the pics and ride report, sounds like you guys had a good one too.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Legend in my own mind

Perfect weather

I ran into you guys on the upper fifty where you took your picts. I was on tight schedule and had to finish my ride quickly or I would have loved to ride with you guys. I was amazed that there was no wind at all even at the high point on the trail. It really was about as good a weather day as you could ask for.
    The older I get the faster I was . . .

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis
    I ran into you guys on the upper fifty where you took your picts. I was on tight schedule and had to finish my ride quickly or I would have loved to ride with you guys. I was amazed that there was no wind at all even at the high point on the trail. It really was about as good a weather day as you could ask for.
    well I will be trying to get more of these together over time.

I need to be more diligent at posting the rides in advance of them happening but that should get much easier as the weather becomes more stable.

I am open to any and all ride request locations too. I have been here for 10+years riding and I have ridden most that southern AZ has to offer.

Occidental Tourist
    nice to see a tucson ride report.

hey scott- where is that spigot?
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

workin' it Administrator

Right here......

not to steal scotts thunder but that is at the end of the 50yr trail in the equestrian center right before the gate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    nice to see a tucson ride report.
    It really is nice to see a Tucson ride report. Based on the paucity of these you would think that no one around Tucson ever rides anything. Thanks to Rockcrusher for taking the time to post.

I'll make a point to join you guys again in the relatively near future.