mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Tucson trip/rides planned March 7th-12th

I was supposed to be heading to Tucson from Southern California with a small group of riders. Everyone has had to back out. I have ridden there once before, camping at Catalina St. Park and riding the 24 hr course (too much Cholla), part of the 50 yr trail (I think) and Fantasy Island. All in all I was disappointed. I know there are better trails. Now I am heading there alone and wonder if there are any group rides in on some more mountain trails (I saw mountains everywhere). I am not one to ride alone, especially in unfamiliar terrain. Any shop rides you guys know about??
    I know there is the spring fling going on but I will miss it by a week... I saw one ride posted on the SAMBA site. Any other rides anyone can think of? I am intermediate. Been riding 12 yrs. Don't like to climb a whole lot. Rolling stuff is great. No epic all day rides. Just some fun rides would be great. Thanks

Professional Amateur
    AZ trail is nice, located in E Tucson. However if you didn't like 50 you might not like this. There's Tucson mountain park just W of downtown, lots o' variety there. Far N of town there's the 24 hour course which is swoopy. You would technically need a state land permit to ride there, not sure if it's patrolled anymore after the big race/event is over

Kathleen in AZ
    You should consider postponing your trip by one week and join us for AZ Spring Fling (see sticky at top). That way you'll have lots of instant riding pals along with guides for the best trails in Tucson, Phoenix, Sedona, Prescott....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

rides

Leading a ride in the new Sweetwater Preserve 3/8. If you want to ride my favorite local trail, the AZ Trail on top of Reddington Pass with some ATV trail let me know. It's a 10.6 mile loop with options to hit Milagrosa. If you didn't like 50 Year, I'd suggest it as it's one of the most advanced in the area. Wildflowers will be near peak and as a former landscaper I can identify many.
    2 riders are coming to town from about 3/1-3/10 are very good riders. One is a racer from Mass. The other is a National park Warden in Alberta BC and wrote the book Backcountry Biking in the Canadian Rockies, best guide MTB book I've found, 228 rides, many in national parks with deviations on each ride, several summers of heaven in it. Both are far better than me.
    Last edited by abegold; 02-27-2008 at 03:40 PM.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    You should consider postponing your trip by one week and join us for AZ Spring Fling (see sticky at top). That way you'll have lots of instant riding pals along with guides for the best trails in Tucson, Phoenix, Sedona, Prescott....

I would agree with DurtGurl that you should postpone your trip a few days. Based on your dates you can catch the first night ride of the AZSF but you would be well served to stay on a few more days and catch some additional rides.

However, if you can't delay I would suggest posting your ride plans here and on tucsonmtb.com and I suspect you will get a few takers for rides during the course of your stay. I would also expect that SAMBA will have a Saturday ride on the 8th that you could join. Ride details will most likely be posted on their website.

You didn't say what you really didn't like about the rides that you took the last time you visited. I do see a common thread in all of them in that most would be considered easy XC type rides. If you are planning on camping at Catalina State Park again the 50 year trail area has a lot to offer. You can ride right out of the park and join the balance of the trail system to the north. You would most likely need a guide to get the most out of this trail system since the bulk of the best riding is up on the hillside and not always easy to find. Check out C.J.'s Cheezy Pleasure post for some photos of the area. The XC portion of the trail is adjacent the freeride areas they are enjoying.

Tucson Mountain Park has lots of variety and the AZ trail south and east of Tucson is also very nice. Milagrosa on the east side of Tucson and part way up Mt. Lemmon would also be very nice but is technical enough that you will want company (just in case).
    Last edited by Mountain_Man; 02-27-2008 at 07:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    my vacation is set in stone. i work in a hospital that has a ridiculous policy that we schedule our vactions 18 months in advance. Obviously, they don't understand anything about bike trips, weather concerns, festivals, etc...This has happened before... I am always outta luck. Guess I didn't like the trails because we were all out of towners and we were lost all of the time. One trail close to the campground was really technical. Constantly off the bike. Lots of rocks/huge barrels to "hug" if you missed your line. Couldn't really find our way around. The Old Pueblo (I think, where the 24 race is?)trail was easy, but we couldn't follow it and there was cholla everywhere. I still have it in my fingers 15 months later... but it only hurt for about 9 months, as the books on cactus stated. Fantasy island was fun, but you couldn't do it everyday. Thanks for everyone's help on trying to bring it all together. My uncle lives there and is a 70 yr old racing (still) roadie, but he won't ride a mountain bike or I'd have no problem with a guide.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

samba ride?

Is this the ride on the SAMBA website? I think you were the contact, no? I'd like to go if I decide to go on the trip still.

Professional Amateur
    I'll bet you would like the AZ trial E of town. There are sections that are swoopy and easy and others that skirt bedrock hills and are a bit more technical. You won't escape cactus anywhere in the Tucson area. Tucson Mountain Park has a ton of trals, check out the google earth plugin to browse a bunch of options.

LINK

50 year has a lot of variety. There are really fun singletrack options in the lower areas and hard technical stuff up high. Post where you would like to ride and I'll bet you'll get some takers. Also check out tucsonmtb.com for some other opinions/opportunities.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Post your plans to ride.......... Will always get takers on this site. AZ trail in Reddington area and near Colossal are great trails. A little bit easy and a little bit tough. Kentucky Camp in the Santa Ritas is good. The northern side of Catalinas is a good option as well. Have done AZ trail at American Flag and love that portion of the trail that goes into Oracle St Park. If you want to ride on like the 9th or 10th let me know. Always up for company.

Tucson, AZ
    I might be riding in Tucson Mountain Park next week if you need a guide... Send me a PM for more details.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Correct!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbkel
    Is this the ride on the SAMBA website? I think you were the contact, no? I'd like to go if I decide to go on the trip still.
    Was out there today exploring the newest trails. Flowers already started; poppies, bluedicks, pigmy white daisy, filaree, fairy duster, jojoba, desert chickory, amsinkia, AZ. Jewel Flower and more. Was a landscaper so know a lot of the natives.
    Even a desert tortise, rare and early.
    agmtb

Members who have read this thread: 0