Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Tubeless Un-Seating Really Bad Accident Tonight

Really messed up my shoulder tonight.. hit my head too, but my helmet saved me... or at least I think it did, I still remember all that took place today...

I was going around a gentle turn in my usual slow pace and my front tire suddenly came un-seated... lost a lot of air pressure suddenly...

my bike went out from underneath me and I landed on the ground shoulder first....

I can move my arm and I don't see any swelling or anything sticking out... but damn it hurts...

xrays tomorrow...
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    My fingers are crossed. Hope your X-rays reveal nothing wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That really stinks Brian. I hope its just some soreness and nothing broken.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    sorry it happened brother. Do you know how much pressure you were running at the time? Hope the healing Gods smile upon you!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member

Hope you are OK, Brian. Good luck tomorrow.
    -boom

mtbr member
    Thanks so much everyone... I can't believe my bad luck...

Bighorn, I noticed my pressure was a bit low at the beginning of the ride by doing the squeeze test... I would estimate it was about 20 psi... I usually run it 25-30 psi... I was too lazy to break out the pump and put air in... still 20 psi should have been fine...

Not sure what happened ?? I am really upset... I hate to blame the rim, but I don't think Ill be using this wheelset anymore...
    Front Wheel SYNCROS XR1.5 29" - Syncros
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Very dangerous thing to happen...under the right (wrong) conditions....

The front end of the bike isn't anything to mess with. Make sure you figure out WHY it happened.

Was it ghetto tubeless?

Vitamin Bike Added
    Ouch, sorry to hear it brother. I was wondering about ghetto set up as well. Did you have any pads on? I had a front end failure as well riding Hidden Valley at Somo (though largely because of a technique failure) and the results could have been much worse without armor. Heal up!
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBCanuck View Post
    Ouch, sorry to hear it brother. I was wondering about ghetto set up as well. Did you have any pads on? I had a front end failure as well riding Hidden Valley at Somo (though largely because of a technique failure) and the results could have been much worse without armor. Heal up!
    no armor, but I am a cross country rider... I mean I don't take many risks at all... this is just a really unfortunate equipment failure...

btw I was riding Phoenix Sonoran Preserve South... on the south circle.. I mean really flat stuff...
    Below Par on the Gnar

Vitamin Bike Added
    It always makes me nervous because I think it was a failure like this might have been responsible for the rider losing his life riding the comp loop at mcdowels last year. Lots of ice and NSAID medications tonight my friend.
    Keep the rubber side down

The British ClimbMinister
    Brian - we're running out of riders for our MALT Wednesday night rides. Get well soon, and meantime if you can't join us, please continue to send your beer.
    Be nice to nerds. Chances are you’ll end up working for one.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    I had the opposite tonight, I hit a rock hard and tore the tread off (one little hole) and slowly flatted. I figured just throw a tube in and ride on but after 20+ minutes of struggling and cussing I couldn't break the bead on the tire. after calling for a ride home I had to use a bench vise to break both sides of the bead to get the tire off. I never had that happen before, I am now worried the tubeless seal is messed up, I won't find out till I spend money on a new tire. Damn! hope you're injury is minor and riding soon.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

I am Walt

Good luck, Brian. I had something similar happen last fall, and ended up with a separated shoulder, torn rotator cuff and torn biceps tendon...took an MRI to diagnose all that after the X-ray only showed the separation.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Dang Brian, hope it's nothing serious. I'm always checking my tire pressures, for this very reason. It helps that I don't like the feel of riding on lower pressures too. Keep us posted.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    I quit messing with tubeless after something similar. Lower pressures, slight leak, bing! Tubes just work too well.

How much further ???
    I see the rim you were using was tubeless ready. What exact tire were you using?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Give it a crank
    That's scary, its the kind of thing I always feared when I ran ghetto tubeless. I hope the injuries aren't serious, the bruised ego recovers fast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Tubeless is fine

Flows + Kenda/Maxxis + gas wrap tape for ~7 years, one front bead broken by a protruding sitck.

Your chain can snap crossing the road and kill you, too. It's called a risk.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Thanks so much everyone... I can't believe my bad luck...

Bighorn, I noticed my pressure was a bit low at the beginning of the ride by doing the squeeze test... I would estimate it was about 20 psi... I usually run it 25-30 psi... I was too lazy to break out the pump and put air in... still 20 psi should have been fine...

Not sure what happened ?? I am really upset...
    Here is your problem. The "squeeze test" is wildly unreliable. This unfortunate accident is the sad result. I'm not trying to bash you or the like.
    Chalk it up to a tough lesson learned, something that wil hopefully never happen again.
    Hopefully you'll be OK after Xrays today, and back on the bike soon.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Here is your problem. The "squeeze test" is wildly unreliable. This unfortunate accident is the sad result. I'm not trying to bash you or the like.
    Chalk it up to a tough lesson learned, something that wil hopefully never happen again.
    Hopefully you'll be OK after Xrays today, and back on the bike soon.
    I thought the blow out risk with too high of a pressure... is it a risk at too low also ? If anything my tire pressure was too low...
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    ^^^ the truth - squeeze test can maybe tell between 40 psi and 20 psi - but I had 16 and 27 that felt pretty much the same.

You have to measure it, also sometime a difference of 2-3 psi affects my handling.

How much further ???
    What concerns me is you say it occured on a gental turn at a slow speed. Still curious if you were using a tubeless ready tire or not.

One of my more recent rides out at Hawes resulted in a max speed of 26.5 mph with an average speed of 11.3. Im by no means fast but I like to pin it at the highest level of what Im capable of and if this is happeneing on a gental slow turn, that worries me.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I thought the blow out risk with too high of a pressure... is it a risk at too low also ? If anything my tire pressure was too low...
    it's better to run on a bit higher side than lower, especially in the front wheel - put in enough for good grip to rolling resistance ratio, I usually try not go below 25 and I weigh 160 - I could probably go lower but I got burped out before when I was under 20.

mtbr member
    Too low on the pressure the tire will roll off the rim. This is called burping. Hope you heal quick.

mtbr member
    Too low of pressure = last night. If you don't have enough psi, the tire bead will want to separate from the rim on corners or largish rocks. It's better IMHO to be too high than too low. Too high will just make your tire 'bounce' over a rock instead of conforming to it, too low a pressure and you'll get burps and the feeling of a side wall folding during cornering.
    I'm a big fat fatty, and if I run anything less than 30 psi on my 29er rear tire, I get tons of burps and tubeless goo seepage around my bead even on a fairly tame trail.
    Like I said, chalk it up to experience.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast