Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tubeless

Go Speed Racer

Tubeless

Just wondering who rides tubeless out here and what you think of it. I just ordered new tires (Geax Saguaro foldable) and have the Giant S-XC rims (29er).

Just wondering if it is worth the hassle. I ride about 3 times a week and in the past year I have had about 5 pinch flats (running the thin slime tubes). No flats due to thorns and I have ridden over many cholla balls. Usually run pretty low pressure (~30 in back and ~28 in front - I weigh 140).

Been doing a bit of research, and I am really on the fence (leaning towards going for it).

Just looking for any advice, thoughts, etc before I make the final decision. Probably have a couple of months left on my current tires before I put the new ones on and make the final decision.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Hi Dennis,

Not sure if your wheels will work with a Stan's kit or not. If so, that might be the way to go. Otherwise, maybe look to upgrade your rims and go tubeless at that time.

I run tubeless on both of my bikes and would not go back to tubes. However, both of my wheelsets are UST and with the exception of adding more Stan's every 2-3 months, have been hassle free for me.

Hope this helps, Dennis. :-)
    -boom

Go Speed Racer
    Thanks, I checked the STANS site and my rims are listed as compatible (Flow Kit). I also checked the Giant forumn here (they are Giant brand rims) and others have successfully converted them using the STANS kit.

Thinking I am going to go for it. Now I just need to find a deal on that kit

mtbr member
    I'm interested in tubeless. I usually run about 40-45PSI, or else I pinch flat a lot. I get LOL for traction like that. I think for bigger or heavier riders, tubeless really shines.

mtbr member
    I think it makes sense to go tubeless IF you're willing to accept there's still maintenance involved and more work to get them set up anytime you need to change tires, break a spoke, etc. I think it can be frustrating the first time you set them up as well, you've been warned.

I just set up a similar wheelset tubeless (P-XC's). Make sure you get the correct kit. Double check the NoTubes website, but I'm fairly certain they'll only work with the Flow 29er kit. There are other options out there, but you'll probably save yourself a few bucks going with the kit to start.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had the same wheels on my HT and I set mine up tubeless with NO problems And I'm in AZ also.. My LBS set mine up with Stan's tape, sealant, and valves.....that's it. It worked awesome and I used a Geax Saguaro for my rear when I did it. I was able to run lower pressures easier and had fantastic gripping and control.

My vote is to do it.

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Just wondering who rides tubeless out here and what you think of it.
    !
    I've run tubeless on both of my bikes for many years and I would never go back. There's a small learning curve to get set up, but then all you need to do is "juice 'em up" every coupla months.

I ride mainly singlespeed, and I usually have only 20 psi in the rear, which gives me a little shock absorption but more importantly, amazing traction when climbing.

EDR
    Tubeless is awesome for out here with one caveat for me...UST tires and UST rims. I've done the ghetto thing and after using true UST tire/rim combo I'll never mess with ghetto again. UST is just too simple in comparison and although it limits your rim/tire selections there is still a lot out there....and lots of tubeless ready tires that have a UST bead.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Tubeless is awesome for out here with one caveat for me...UST tires and UST rims. I've done the ghetto thing and after using true UST tire/rim combo I'll never mess with ghetto again. UST is just too simple in comparison and although it limits your rim/tire selections there is still a lot out there....and lots of tubeless ready tires that have a UST bead.
    Well, I do not have 5-6 hundred bucks to throw at a new wheelset right now. So would you recommend NOT doing the STANS NoTubes conversion on my existing wheelset and just stick with tubes? If so, why?

Basically, I understand it is going to be a little tricky getting it setup (I enjoy projects like this), and I understand that it takes a little maintenance (adding more stans every few months), and if I have a major issue (sidewall tear / etc) I may have to stick in a tube and wrap duct tape around my tire, LOL. If I am prepared for all of that, it seems like it is worth it to go tubeless with my existing wheels.

I am about to pull the trigger and go for the Stans conversion.

Thanks for all the input guys! As usual you all provide great information!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    EazyE - I used to ride 40+ psi with tubes. I now ride 32psi tubeless. Any lower and the side wall wiggle in hard cornering freaks me out. also I have pinch flatted tires running lower pressure non UST tires. I weigh in at 250 on the bike, and I'm currently looking for some wider tires (2.3+) to see how they work.

Dennis - If 5 flats a year is bothering you, then do it. Your running fairly low pressure with tubes, so the only real reason to switch is to try it out and reduce the number of flats. As for the stands kit, if you follow the steps, you should have no problems. 1 recommendation: Put the new tires on with tubes first and maybe ride a few times to stretch the rubber. It will make mounting them easier when you go tubeless.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You can always use tubes with removable cores and add either Stans or Slime if you're concerned with thorns. If you want to run lower pressure (ahhh, better traction and comfort) then tubeless is the way to go.

Do yourself the favor and buy the syringe for $10 so you don't have to break the rim/tire seal every time you want to add sealant. Also, if your garage is really hot, your sealant will dry much faster in your wheels...hence the syringe ease. Or you can just put the wheels or bike indoors.

Yes, worth the trouble. To fill the tire quickly to get a nice seal I use a compressor, but co2 works as well. Also, if you only have a pump, remove the valve core and you can get more air in to get that initial seal. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I checked the STANS site and my rims are listed as compatible (Flow Kit). I also checked the Giant forumn here (they are Giant brand rims) and others have successfully converted them using the STANS kit.

Thinking I am going to go for it. Now I just need to find a deal on that kit
    SO had her Giant rims converted using the Stans Kit, and no issues.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

How much further ???
    Just wondering who rides tubeless out here and what you think of it. I just ordered new tires (Geax Saguaro foldable) and have the Giant S-XC rims (29er).

Just wondering if it is worth the hassle. I ride about 3 times a week and in the past year I have had about 5 pinch flats (running the thin slime tubes). No flats due to thorns and I have ridden over many cholla balls. Usually run pretty low pressure (~30 in back and ~28 in front - I weigh 140).

Been doing a bit of research, and I am really on the fence (leaning towards going for it).

Just looking for any advice, thoughts, etc before I make the final decision. Probably have a couple of months left on my current tires before I put the new ones on and make the final decision.

Thanks!
    I have not gotten a single flat in the 3 years since I have gone tubeless. Thats what I think of it.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsarefun View Post
    Dennis - If 5 flats a year is bothering you, then do it. Your running fairly low pressure with tubes, so the only real reason to switch is to try it out and reduce the number of flats. As for the stands kit, if you follow the steps, you should have no problems. 1 recommendation: Put the new tires on with tubes first and maybe ride a few times to stretch the rubber. It will make mounting them easier when you go tubeless.
    Thanks. Yeah, the 5 times I flatted it was a pain. Most recently I was really in the zone bombing downhill and it was hot as hell out, and changing out a tube sucked. Plus the cost, the slime tubes are around 12-15 bucks a pop (usually just toss them after a pinch flat, I guess I could have patched and re-used them, but it is hard to pack them in my camelback after they have been used.

I have decided to go for it. Thanks everyone for the feedback, exactly what I was looking for.

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by AZspeeding View Post

. Also, if your garage is really hot, your sealant will dry much faster in your wheels...hence the syringe ease. Or you can just put the wheels or bike indoors.

Stan's dries out way too fast. Since I switched to home-brew I've been able to go twice as long before needing to add more sealant.

I love bike!
    I run tubeless on a couple bikes and would never go back to tubes. I like the added grip you get running lower pressure without the worry of flats.

Only time I've had an issue in like 4 years is when I didn't refresh the stan's sealant in one of my tires, got a flat, and had to pop in a tube to get home...but that was due to my laziness.

Most tubeless setups are not too difficult especially if you have access to an air compressor. I've gotten a couple tires set up with just a floor pump but I think I was a bit lucky as I've not had success 4-5 setups later. One time I even took both my tires to a Discount Tire, tipped the guy $5, and had them use their compressor to pop the beads on. They actually thought it was pretty cool that you could have a tubeless bike tire.

Black and Sticky
    x10 on running tubeless, go for it. I started MTB over 10 years ago and tubeless is all I've ever run. Except for the tube I carry for emergencies, my MTB's have never seen a tube. Started out with UST setup on my old SC Superlight. Now all my MTB's are tubeless with Stans rims. I'm 160 lbs incl. water/gear and run 28 psi F/R. Seems like every year I go a little lower. Good advice on getting the syringe to squirt the Stan's spooge into the tire thru the valve stem. Just keep adding every couple months and once a year clean out the latex boogers. I'm such an advocate of tubeless that by happenstance, this week I'm converting my road bike to tubeless. (Alpha 340 Team Wheelset 2012) All my roadie friends think I'm nuts. We'll see...

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    Stan's dries out way too fast. Since I switched to home-brew I've been able to go twice as long before needing to add more sealant.
    Home brew? Recipe?

ben

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post
    I'm 160 lbs incl. water/gear and run 28 psi F/R
    Bob
    Can we all pitch in to buy Bituman some chimichangas? Dude's gonna float away...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I did the exact conversion on my Giant SXC's using the Stan's Flow kit with no problem. The tape fits perfect in the channel of the wheel.It was fairly quick and painless. I ran over a stick with a thorn and it stuck to my tire, making about a dozen revolutions. I stopped, pulled the stick off and spun the tire.. Leak stopped. I like the tubeless a lot!

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowness View Post
    I did the exact conversion on my Giant SXC's using the Stan's Flow kit with no problem. The tape fits perfect in the channel of the wheel.It was fairly quick and painless. I ran over a stick with a thorn and it stuck to my tire, making about a dozen revolutions. I stopped, pulled the stick off and spun the tire.. Leak stopped. I like the tubeless a lot!
    Thanks I am going for it. New tires are here. Should have pulled the trigger yesterday, amazon had a Stans NoTubes Flow kit in stock with free shipping, today sold out (with free shipping, guess I should quit being such a cheapskate).

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    Can we all pitch in to buy Bituman some chimichangas? Dude's gonna float away...
    Hey I'm having a great big greasy breakfast burro RIGHT NOW, and yesterday a chicken fried steak. No chance of floating away!
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
    Home brew? Recipe?
    My recipe:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/newreply.php?p=9462081

The full thread:
    Best Tubeless Brew?

Thanks I am going for it. New tires are here.
    You won't regret it. There's always the chance that it'll be a bear getting a tire sealed but brand new tires help. And if you have to fight it you'll appreciate the next time when your next set seal right up

mtbr member
    I found it helpful to ride the bike after setting them up in order for the Stan's to move around and seal, etc. You may need to add some air within the next day or so, but I think that is somewhat normal. Maybe others can chime in on this...
    -boom

Si vales, valeo.
    Quote Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
    I found it helpful to ride the bike after setting them up in order for the Stan's to move around and seal, etc. You may need to add some air within the next day or so, but I think that is somewhat normal. Maybe others can chime in on this...
    That's what I typically do as well. I've had the Stan's kit on 3 of my bikes now for about 5 years, and it's always been good to me! That being said, at least with my particular wheel/tire combo, it was hard as heck to get a tire off the rim, (or even break the bead for that matter)!
    "An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast