Master Gardener

Hope Trouble finding any Pemberton 12-hour info.

A buddy and I agreed to join a couple nice MTBR fellas for the Pemberton 12-hour race on December 6th. I'm trying to decide what gear I want to run and what time we need to show up, etc. but a Google and MTBR search leads me nowhere.

Anyone have a link to the website for this race? (Any SS gearing info for this one would be good, too.)

Muchas sombreros!

Greg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

here's the website

Master Gardener
    Excellent- many thanks!

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    Greg
    Hey hows things?
    can't tell you what gear but....I can tell you there is no steep climbs, just a long steady one
    with some ups and downs here and there and a long down hill
    http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...8_4513crx.aspx

we'll be out there with the Tandem

Cheers Billy
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    Hey Greg,

I dont ride out there much, but compared to what you guys usually ride and with being at much lower altitude I think you would be fine with an 18t. There are a lot of flat and mellow downhill sections that you would be spinning out a lot on the 21s! No climbing like 396! But can be sandy and loose and last years race dealt with lots of rain and riding through flooded washes, I heard a lot of people trashed their geared drivetrains.

I will be out there sometime in the next couple of weeks and check it out for sure. I am out of town for the race otherwise would be there as well!

Hope all is well.

Jonathan.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    What's a good tire selection for the Pemberton trail?

mtbr member
    Pemperton is a pretty flat trail, with about 700 feet of climbing per 16 mile loop. I am doing solo and will be running a 32x16 on a 29er (for reference I normally run a 32x18 everywhere!!) The trails are not rocky except for about a mile section, which has a really good line through it and is all down hill. For tires, run something that rolls realy fast. I will probably be running Nano raptors or Vulipines... have not decided yet!!

This is an awesome race and the promoter really makes it a lot of fun! God luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I ran 32x18 last year and did six laps on my 29 ss. If you change your gearing a lot run what feels the best to you on mostly flat ground with short mellow climbs. I run the same gear and tire setup everywhere because that's what I'm used to. I rode pemberton/dixie mine/coach whip/bell pass and back to pemberton on saturday and it all has a lot more small rocks and sand than it used to. I ride rampage front and ignitor rear. Tubeless 25psi front 28 psi rear works good for small rocks amd sand.

my knees hurt
    If I remember correctly I used to run 32x17 out there...(29er)
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you would achieve if you knew you could not fail.

http://endurancerehab.com/

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by befoot
    Greg
    Hey hows things?
    Close to perfect. I can say a few not-so-nice things about ol' Preskit, but you just cannot beat the weather we have here.

Did you recognize me walking outside the post office last week? Saw ya in old Green Stripe.

can't tell you what gear but....I can tell you there is no steep climbs, just a long steady one
    with some ups and downs here and there and a long down hill
    Sounds like a good course for big fellers like us.

Quote Originally Posted by befoot
    we'll be out there with the Tandem
    Looking forward to it! I'm coming armed with a cooler full of PBR.

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by BritMtnBiker
    Hey Greg,

I dont ride out there much, but compared to what you guys usually ride and with being at much lower altitude I think you would be fine with an 18t.
    Thanks for the info, J. I'm going to run a 32x18 out there. Put one on to try it out here in Preskit this week and it feels good on the flatter sections.

Wish you could make it out there- hope all is well with you bru.

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00

This is an awesome race and the promoter really makes it a lot of fun! God luck!
    Glad to hear that... good luck to you, too. If you see a tall dork on a black Spot, don't be afraid to ask for a PBR.

Thanks to all you folks for the beta!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    Close to perfect. I can say a few not-so-nice things about ol' Preskit, but you just cannot beat the weather we have here.

Did you recognize me walking outside the post office last week? Saw ya in old Green Stripe.

Sounds like a good course for big fellers like us.

Looking forward to it! I'm coming armed with a cooler full of PBR.
    that was you!...I did not recognize you without your dog spot
    Should be lot's O fun down there...David said he had six tandems signed up so far.
    lets see that should put us in last place...PBR's you say, that's good thinking

C U down there if not B4...Cheers
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    Glad to hear that... good luck to you, too. If you see a tall dork on a black Spot, don't be afraid to ask for a PBR.

Thanks to all you folks for the beta!

Greg

Hey Greg,
    Pemberton and T100 was my old stomping grounds before moving to Preskit. I would bring a couple of cogs, Pemberton is a little like P'vine with a couple of short climbs, one after the sandy river bottom section thats a little rocky. Once you clear that its short climbs with rollers (fun stuff!) One other short climb (it used to be loose DG), once you get past Dick Rock it's pretty much fast double and single track back down.
    I would say would have no prob with 32/17 or even 32/16...don't forget you got them Preskit legs and lungs!

Billy - your gonna have fun on the Tandem! Good luck fellars!

Dust biter
    Jun 2008
    They should advertise it more. You know, like put banners at the top of websites where MTBers congregate and might see them. Maybe they could even put them on the right hand column of said websites. I don't know, just a thought....

Quote Originally Posted by dukedante
    They should advertise it more. You know, like put banners at the top of websites where MTBers congregate and might see them. Maybe they could even put them on the right hand column of said websites. I don't know, just a thought....

No that will never work! nobody pays any attention to those things...
    Darwin was an Optimist

Master Gardener
    Part of it was my problem... I was googling "Pemberton 12 hour Revenge" and the like. I thought it was the "Pemberton's Revenge" race.

Should be fun!

Six tandems- Wowser!

And Rick, thanks for the info bru. I may have to put a 16 on there.

mtbr member
    Greg,

Are you riding duo or solo?

And if you ride duo is it legal to switch cogs while your waiting for your next lap? If so start with the 16 and the bigger gears handy for quick change!!

16/17 probably best gear due to the terrain, but if your riding solo after 10 hours on the bike you might be wishing for a bigger gear. The woes of SS I suppose.

Good luck. I will ride out there next weekend on a 17 and see how it goes. I will pm you with the results!

J.

Master Gardener
    Thanks, J. We were invited onto a 4-man team, actually. Should be a good into into the whole 12/24 hour scene. Switching out cogs is definitely doable, though. I can change my gearing faster than I can change a flat on this bike (King hub).

Lemme know how the ride goes!

H.E.R
    Mar 2007
    How is the Pemberton course compared to the 24 hours of fury course? Tougher, easier, I rode the solo geared 24 hrs of fury and placed 3rd. Im debating if I should race this 12 hour race.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Pemberton's similar to McDowell, except Pemberton, when it's run counter-clockwise (backwards) like it is in this race, has a long (about 5.5 mile) gradual climb up a sandy wash at the beginning. It's a very gentle grade, but it's a leg-burner b/c you never get any rest. After that, though, it's pretty flat/rolling the rest of the way. It's a fun event, definitely worth doing... just pray for no rain this year!

In the rear with the beer
    Quote Originally Posted by crashdude
    How is the Pemberton course compared to the 24 hours of fury course? Tougher, easier, I rode the solo geared 24 hrs of fury and placed 3rd. Im debating if I should race this 12 hour race.
    Its an easier loop. No real tech challenges. As mentioned, long, gradual climb, then some rollers, then a fast gradual descent (lot of water bars) then a big of a climb and some rollers to the lot. Not as many short steep climbs out of washes as the 24 course. I think it'll be a great event! I'd highly recommend giving it a shot. Let's just hope we don't get another freak rainstorm like last year!! Each lap had different flooded washes, it at least made it interesting!

ps. I'm really digging the new logo this year......
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    I am doing the solo single speed group for this race...I planned on bringing two bikes to the event in case one broke. One is a 29er SS 34x18 and the other is a 26er SS 32x16...I think the gear inches is pretty close. Is switching bikes mid-stream breaking the spirit of the class?