Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tri's anyone?

Not a Barry supporter.

Tri's anyone?

Any tri-atheletes on this board? I really want to start doing a few of these. I just need the push to get out there and do it. My main problem is I'm a stone in water so I'll have to get some coaching in that area.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

swashbucklerette
    Yep! I've been doing tris for 7 years now and all the distances. I didn't know how to swim freestyle before my first tri, but had 2 months to train and worked my way up to the 800 yds I needed to do my first race. Shoot for a race that has a pool swim, as that will be easier than dealing with open water. Some races have shorter swim distances (like ~400 yds) so that would be good to aim for for a first tri. Get in there and just start getting time in the pool.

A great site I use is http://www.beginnertriathlete.com. Free training logs, and a ton of great articles and info. They even have free training plans to follow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    There are a few triathlon this fall that if you started training for now you would do great. Spet 26 is the Nathan Tempe Tri, Oct 10 is the PBR Off Road Tri in tempe (papago), and SOMA Tri on Oct 24. I'd be happy to give you a few swimming pointers / workouts to get you started. Where do you live, train? I live near central and bell, easy access to trail 100 for running and mtb. I usually swim at the McDowell pool but sometimes swim at Mountainview Pool. Let me know if your interested.

slow uphill
    PBR is very beginner friendly - there are tons of people who are new to off road tris, so that is a good race to start on.

its the same weekend as 24 Hours of Moab

mtbr member

Great Sport

Use to do tris but got tired of the long hours of training. I started mountain biking and except for one, I pretty much lost interest. The one I did after I started mountain biking was up in Oregon and I turned in my best cycling split ever. MB is definitely a good cross training sport. They're a lot of fun and as you can see from the previous posters, there are several around town in the cooler months. Hope you enjoy them. Maybe I'll get the bug and see you out there.

Tiny

P.S. Not sure itís still around but I use to do the Rocky Point triathlon in Mexico. It was a blast mainly cause it was sponsored by Tecate.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by samcerv
    and SOMA Tri on Oct 24.
    If memory serves me SOMA is a half-iron distance only race now (I work for Action Sports International so I work quite a few of these in AZ and around the country). Probably not the best choice for someone just starting. He's probably gonna wanna start with a Sprint.

Myself, if I were to do one I'd hit the Deuces Wild XTerra up in Show Low (actually just happened about a month ago). It's an Olympic distance event but you swim then Mountain Bike a very scenic but tough bike course, then run a filthy, muddy, obstacled wilderness course. Looks like sh1tloads of fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You still working downtown?

I might be tempted to partake in this endeavor with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just did 2 sprint tris last year and now have some friends interested in doing a few this year. We are all pretty new to the sport but its a blast. I did two YMCA tris which were awesome they are ran pretty well with alot of support from the YMCA members.
    2011 Euro Gold Demo 8

aka Diesel
    I've been dancing around the idea for awhile now, but for whatever reason, I too, am not buoyant. Must be the aries in us. We're meant to be on land. I am going to give an easy one a try later this year, and see if it sticks.

mtbr member
    No actually I don't. I play real sports, i'm not trying to be the best at exercising.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I raced in the Xterra Deuces Wild in Showlow last month. It was my first Triathlon, I had a great time. The course was great Ĺ mile swim, 16 mile Mt. bike, and 5 mile trail run. Before this event I was a regular mountain biker, trail ran every once in a while, and was on a swim team over 18 years ago.

I placed about middle of the pack at a 3:00 Hour finish, but held my own throughout the race. I trained for two months, swimming 5 days a week, ran 3 days a week, and biked on the weekends.

I would recommend this race to anyone, the course was challenging, bike trail had plenty of log crossings, hike-a-bike sections, and the train run had a few water crossings.

I also enjoy doing 24-hour races, Moab, Fury at McDowell, Old Pueblo and now will be doing this triathalon each year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    If memory serves me SOMA is a half-iron distance only race now (I work for Action Sports International so I work quite a few of these in AZ and around the country). Probably not the best choice for someone just starting. He's probably gonna wanna start with a Sprint.

Myself, if I were to do one I'd hit the Deuces Wild XTerra up in Show Low (actually just happened about a month ago). It's an Olympic distance event but you swim then Mountain Bike a very scenic but tough bike course, then run a filthy, muddy, obstacled wilderness course. Looks like sh1tloads of fun.
    Just giving options bigO! I'm sure he knows what he can handle. You are right about the xterra tri, looks like a blast! By the way, where did this guy go?

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    You still working downtown?

I might be tempted to partake in this endeavor with you.
    I work all over the valley dude so we could always meet up anywhere after work. That said, I've been extremely lazy this summer. Just too d@mn hot for me and I've seemed to develop a need for an inhaler after strenuous exercise in this heat.

My background for those that don't know me, I'm a strong SS'r (SS only last 3.5 yrs), I've competed in 10 or so 24-Hr races, I've done the STP (Seattle to Portland) bike ride 5 Xs (and want to again next year), an Adventure race involving canoes, hiking, biking and navigation and a lot of epic rides (over 5 or 6 hours). So I'm pretty fit and tri's seem like a great way to push myself as far as I can. I like to test my personal limits. I'm thinking of hiring a trainer or at least take some swimming lessons. I think I'd like to start out with a bi-atholon of some sort this fall/winter to ease myself into it.
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    My fiancee is training for SOMA. she did the mountain man this past weekend while I was racing the 12hrs at night. She had a really rough time of it in the swim but finished.

If anyone wants to do some good group training sessions you should check out Tribe Multisport. the folks there are super cool and there's a great group of regulars. they have a Tuesday night run, Wednesday night yoga or night MTB ride, a Thursday night group road ride, and a good Saturday morning group ride. The Fiancee and I will be out riding with them tonight.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    I've been dancing around the idea for awhile now, but for whatever reason, I too, am not buoyant. Must be the aries in us. We're meant to be on land. I am going to give an easy one a try later this year, and see if it sticks.
    Yes, we aries are not a buoyant bunch to say the least. Must be that mean steak in us!
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkracr
    My fiancee is training for SOMA. she did the mountain man this past weekend while I was racing the 12hrs at night. She had a really rough time of it in the swim but finished.
    She doesn't have to worry about the swim at SOMA this year. Since the Tempe Town Lake dam just busted and it won't be fixed until November, hopefully before Ironman. I heard on the radio that they were going to substitute another run portion for the swim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by samcerv
    There are a few triathlon this fall that if you started training for now you would do great. Spet 26 is the Nathan Tempe Tri, Oct 10 is the PBR Off Road Tri in tempe (papago), and SOMA Tri on Oct 24. I'd be happy to give you a few swimming pointers / workouts to get you started. Where do you live, train? I live near central and bell, easy access to trail 100 for running and mtb. I usually swim at the McDowell pool but sometimes swim at Mountainview Pool. Let me know if your interested.
    That's assuming these happen this year now with the whole Town Lake deal.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    That's assuming these happen this year now with the whole Town Lake deal.
    The same media outlet that said they'd be substituting another run leg for the swim said that SOMA would not be cancelled. Some of the smaller one, though? Who knows...

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    Yes, we aries are not a buoyant bunch to say the least. Must be that mean steak in us!
    Mean STEAK??? So you're saying I should switch to poultry?

I'm scouting for duathlons before I try the water thing. The short sprint from start to bike during last weekend's race, left me gasping like an asthmatic chain smoker, so I've stopped kidding myself that I can just leap right into this tri thing. You're Aries AND Italian, so you should have no problem.

If that doesn't work out, there's always Adventure Racing. Rapelling and orienteering doesn't require good cardio.

mtbr member
    Yo size, your Fu**in out

LOL!
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    CoyoteKis and Crash,

If you are interested in checking out a duathlon before a triathlon, you should check out the Desert Classic Duathlon at McDowell Mountain Park.

http://www.desertclassicduathlon.com/

It's in February, and it is 3.5 mile trail run/21 mile road bike/2.7 mile trail run. Really fun event, a good intro to multisport, but also attracts national talent. By the way, run-bike events are called duathlons, except in a few parts of the east coast where they still call them biathlons, like the XC ski/shooting event.

There's also a bunch of beginner-caliber (short, pool swim) triathlons at trifamilyracing.com . You both probably have way too much endurance for that, but still they have short races for your first few.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I guess that triathlon at tempe lake in october will be switch since tempe lake wont be full again till november the soonest.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by AZnewbie
    I guess that triathlon at tempe lake in october will be switch since tempe lake wont be full again till november the soonest.
    Some events may change. What I heard is SOMA will go on as a duathalon (run, bike, run) and the lake will be repaird when the big money maker is in town, Ironman.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkracr
    Yo size, your Fu**in out

LOL!
    glad someone got it!

sorry for the hijack, carry on...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size
    glad someone got it!

sorry for the hijack, carry on...

You named your kid after an f'iin movie? Whats his name, Shrek?

Kenny Powers is a role model.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast