mtbr member

Trails job in Sedona

There's a USFS trails job based out of Sedona currently being advertised through USAJobs.gov
    It'd be cool to have a mtn biker working within the system. That is all.
    Cheers,
    M

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Sedona Mt Bike Ranger

I bumped into a FS Ranger last night on the Baldwin trail. He goes by "TUNA". He is a new hire on the Red Rocks district and his position is strictly Mt. biking. He rides Sedona's trails Friday thru Sunday to gauge trail conditions. He's also the dude who fields questions, comments, and concerns from the Mt. biking community. It looks like the Coconino has noticed that Sedona is fast becoming a Mt. bike mecca. Smells like progress to me!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyplant View Post
    I bumped into a FS Ranger last night on the Baldwin trail. He goes by "TUNA". He is a new hire on the Red Rocks district and his position is strictly Mt. biking. He rides Sedona's trails Friday thru Sunday to gauge trail conditions. He's also the dude who fields questions, comments, and concerns from the Mt. biking community. It looks like the Coconino has noticed that Sedona is fast becoming a Mt. bike mecca. Smells like progress to me!
    jp;

Thanks for the intel. Does it look like he carries any tools for small water diverter projects. We rode from Oak Creek up the steep Templeton and it would be nice to get some maintenance work out of him to help keep the trails from get rutted out with the monsoons.

Did he say what his main purpose is out on the trails.

TD

mtbr member
    I've had the pleasure of meeting Tuna myself. He's a good guy, but does work for the FS so his goals are different than most users. Hopefully he'll be able to convey the point of MTB community to the people who just don't get it in the office.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    I've had the pleasure of meeting Tuna myself. He's a good guy, but does work for the FS so his goals are different than most users. Hopefully he'll be able to convey the point of MTB community to the people who just don't get it in the office.
    wh:

OK don't keep me in suspense, what are Tuna's different goals? Is he into improving the Sedona mountain bikers user experience? Would part of his job be to improve trail signage where it is needed. How about small trail improvements? There needs to be a little rock work done on the steep Templeton climb section about 7/8th of the way to the top.

Do you think he could put distance indicators on existing or newly placed carsonites to give users a better idea how far they are from a trailhead? Like all those tourons hiking to Cathedral from the Red Rock Crossing Parking Lot.

Why would his goals be different than most users? Are you saying he is getting paid so he is going to be doing a productive day of work where most users are just out to have fun? And to have fun on your job and get paid for it is just not normal.

They have rangers back in California that just go out with radar guns and give tickets for riding faster than 15 MPH. Is that something Tuna might be interested in doing?

TD

TD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    wh:

OK don't keep me in suspense, what are Tuna's different goals? Is he into improving the Sedona mountain bikers user experience? Would part of his job be to improve trail signage where it is needed. How about small trail improvements? There needs to be a little rock work done on the steep Templeton climb section about 7/8th of the way to the top.

Do you think he could put distance indicators on existing or newly placed carsonites to give users a better idea how far they are from a trailhead? Like all those tourons hiking to Cathedral from the Red Rock Crossing Parking Lot.

Why would his goals be different than most users? Are you saying he is getting paid so he is going to be doing a productive day of work where most users are just out to have fun? And to have fun on your job and get paid for it is just not normal.

They have rangers back in California that just go out with radar guns and give tickets for riding faster than 15 MPH. Is that something Tuna might be interested in doing?

TD

TD
    Signage is one thing that we'll see a lot of coming up...we'll see how long it takes. I believe they want to make the existing trails more "family friendly" so yes, I am certain you'll see some minor repairs happening.

The reason why I say his goals are different is that most FS employees don't like seeing new construction. The guy that Tuna is replacing, also a MTBer, loved highline until he started down towards baldwin. Unfortunately, this trail may see some rerouting if not worse. We will see more "blockades" on some of our NS trails. BUT we may also see some trails that are new on the system trail list, which some MTB may be for or against. Hog Heaven wont be as much fun when the tour bus starts dropping people right at Pigtail. Thats the price that gets paid though....

If the tourons knew how to read, they'd know the milage down to RRC from Back'o'beyond...Putting it on 10 signs wont help much. I had somebody ask directions to big o tires from giant.

All in all, I am very happy that we have somebody who "they" will listen to. It's good for us as well as the FS.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It'd be cool to have a mtn biker working within the system. That is all.
    Ignoring new trails and all that, it seems to me that the mtb community hasn't stepped up to work with the system in terms of trail maintenance and building sweet rock structures to control erosion. Instead new work is being done under the radar. I hope that this fall when temperatures and soil moisture are better for trail work we can get something going together.

Do you think he could put distance indicators on existing or newly placed carsonites to give users a better idea how far they are from a trailhead?
    Having mileage markers is not an effective use of funds or time given how frequently signs are vandalized or stolen. Not to mention it would be a complicated mess of mileages. That's why we have a sign plan that stipulates our standards; talk to jennifer if you disagree with it... and carsonites cost a fortune and only last maybe 10yrs before disintegrating in the desert sun. This doesn't even take into account that to put a post into the ground in many places here is an almost impossible task.

Hopefully he'll be able to convey the point of MTB community to the people who just don't get it in the office.
    Please explain? People in the office talk about erosion, limits of acceptable change, required funds for maintenance, sustainability, user conflict, watershed health, and so on. These are concerns that the MTB community needs to share for a true 'mt bike mecca'. New trails are being added, but all of these issues are being addressed so that problems can be fixed instead of a new line being created 10 ft over again and again when it becomes impassable due to erosion.

send me a picture of the templeton spot and I'll take the Friends of the Forest out on one of the Fridays. jwpoehnelt AT fs DOT fed DOT us The ground should be easier to work now than it has been in the last few weeks. feel free to send me any other maintenance issues as I will be putting together a list for this fall and winter. pictures and gps points will make it easier for me.

have you ridden the newest reroute on broken arrow to avoid the conflict with jeeps? i haven't had time to go back and fix it up since we put it in. looks like it should be fun.

Professional Trail Builder and Guvmint Employee

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    oh and I will be creating a work plan for some of the new trails that will be added into the system and would love input on structures and styles. i'll try to post some of these photos and locations in the next couple weeks. maybe we can get a good plan on what to do and have a good couple volunteer workdays to finish it up.
    Professional Trail Builder and Guvmint Employee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by justinwp View Post
    Please explain? People in the office talk about erosion, limits of acceptable change, required funds for maintenance, sustainability, user conflict, watershed health, and so on. These are concerns that the MTB community needs to share for a true 'mt bike mecca'. New trails are being added, but all of these issues are being addressed so that problems can be fixed instead of a new line being created 10 ft over again and again when it becomes impassable due to erosion.
    [/IMG]
    I know all of this, and totally agree with it. If all of this wasn't taken into play, it'd be a honeycomb (more so than it already is). But I don't believe that all of the people that work on trails in RRRD know about flow, or ridable ramping/stepping, etc. That is all I was trying to say, it is nice to have somebody "on the FS side" that fully understands MTB.

By all means, if you need help with trail maintenance, PM me. If I'm free, I'm happy to lend a hand.
    - Julie Furtado

banned
    Justin:

This thread really has my head spinning a little

First of all, nice work on the new Broken Arrow re-route. My one comment would be once you are on the slickrock you have no clue where to go. As a mountain biker you must have realized this. I am really curious what if anything do you plan on doing to reduce the confusion for a tourist of "where do I go from here." I suggest painting the route, what is your solution, rock jails? The other rock jail that was out there fell over. If you used paint that would set a precedence, can't have that.

You talk about not getting much help from the MTB community on trail projects. What would ACE or CREC charge to route a trail then build it, similar to the new 2.7 mile Aerie trail? The FS spent years trying to figure out where to put that trail and never started the project and gave up on the routing. The MTB community stepped in routed it and built 100% of it before the FS came in and did some additional work they deemed necessary.

Now they have come in and done some work that is out of character with the rest of the trail. Doing work that is out of character seems unnecessary to someone like myself, but I assume it is the FS way of making a statement about they are not concerned with the character of the trail because that isn't discussed in the manual or some other reason you might want to share.

The MTB community has done several re-route projects that the FS just let sit for years, and they have shown the FS where they want other re-routes on the Jordan trail. Are you saying I just need to go out and show you where those projects need to be done and it will get done? Just check with Jeff in the office and let me know when we can start.

You talk about new trail projects and some kind of new features that can be incorporated. We need to get Anaconda, Snake, Lost Watch, Touron and Chuck Wagon brought into the system. Are those the new trails you are talking about or are you talking about something new that the FS has on a planning board that the MTB community has had nothing to do in the planning process? That would be a pleasant surprise.

Seems like Tuna should be able to fix that spot on the steep Templeton climb. It is about 100 yards before topping out. I think it should take no more than 20 minutes. A couple nicely placed rocks and a little moist dirt should make it more user friendly. I would have fixed it myself, but I was trying to catch up with my buddies who got tired of me cleaning up the section across from Buddha Beach. There seems to be some nut case who is throwing rocks into the trail to make it difficult to ride through.

One other thing, will the FS ever use round fence posts, so they can angle the signs at an intersection that isn't 90 degrees? Is there some FS regulation that doesn't allow for a round fence post? When I read the FS manual (http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/htmlpu...-15/page29.htm) on trail signage I can see why you guys have been having difficulty getting the trails signed properly.

I look forward to working with you again, I think our fix on Munds has worked out well

TD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trails job in Sedona-munds-1.jpg  

Last edited by traildoc; 07-10-2011 at 11:00 PM.