mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Trail ride for a 7 year old

Anyone recommend some trail rides for a 7 year old? Some easy xc stuff. Sheís riding a KONA Shred 20 inch with air shock and Hydraulic disk brakes. She is fairly strong has a good 5 mile range. She had a hard crash last week at the Mesa bike park so it spooked her confidence and I just want get her back out on the bike on something easy and fun. A change of scenery would also be nice.

Sometimes the mental recovery from a crash is harder then the physical.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I would suggest some of the trails over in the Usery Park, perhaps Blevins and Moon Rock.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Papago Park

parenting for gnarness
    where are you?

Browns Ranch, some good choices in MMP, I've worked out a few beginner routes in the Scottsdale McDs, Reach 11.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I am in Mesa, right near the Hawes trail system. I have never had her out of the immediate area we live in so Papago is a good idea. We have never ridden at Browns Ranch either. We have so much right here never brothered to travel with her.

The last time I rode Blevins their were hikers and horses everywhere. So I just left early but thatís probably a good one for her also.

Black and Sticky
    McDowell Mtn Regional Park, Sport Loop. Itís a swoopy, smooth, and fun trail. Great fun for young folks.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

parenting for gnarness
    I think Papago can be challenging since its dust-on-crust. There are some flat, mellow trails north of Bush highway between some of the shuttle stops - I never rode them w my kids, but think they would be quite good.

At Hawes you could do the various routes along the canal\Power. TRW might be a bit much but my 8yo did it easily on 24inch.

Browns is a haul but in time would be a worthwhile trip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My 8 year old got a similar 20Ē Norco for. Christmas. We have been riding Apache Wash up north in the Sonoran Mtn Perseve. I always feel bad when her 55 lbs has to pedal around a 30 lbs bike while Iím on my 27 lbs carbon bike

They just donít make light kids bikes. So I try for flat riding.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I am in Las Sendas and take my kids riding from time to time.

Park at Park and Ride under the FWY and go North on Power Trail. Skip the big red hill. maybe go hit TRW, but it is clmby getting out for kids.

Usery is a perfect location. Very few hills or tech as long as you keep them away from Cat Peaks. There are lot's of hikers for sure. Use a bell, smile, communicate and they usually move to the side with a smile back at you. Horses can be fun for kids to see. Just stop 30 or so feet before them and ask them how to proceed. Do this and they are always super cool. If their horses are trained they will waive you by, if they are green around bikes they may have you walk by or have you stay where you are at as they pass.

Papago is OK, but is more chunky and will have more climbs. You can always ride with them around Tempe lake though too.

Browns is good, but longer drive.

Make it fun first.

Hawesaholic FB group does some kids rides from time to time. Feel free to reach out. Hawesfest is Saturday Jan 20th, 9-2ish at Boulder Park by the school. There will 2 group level rides for kids, then bike games that kids can definitely do as well after the group rides. I should have my 8 year old there and there will be plenty of other kids too. Check out the Hawesfest post on here for more details.

mtbr member
    If you want really flat dirt, you might enjoy the riparian preserve in gilbert?
    Go out on the south loops and just cruise around. No tech worries.
    Last edited by BIGHORN LEW; 01-09-2018 at 01:25 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    This Kids MTB Camp is in Tucson, but thought I would pass it along...

KIDS MTB CAMP with Kat Sweet of Sweetlines - Home Grown Mountain Bike Tours

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    +1 on the Blevins/Levee/NoSo/MoonRock trails in Usery. Perfect for kids and beginners, avoid Cat's peak trail though since it has some climbing and a little rocky.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks guys, all great ideas. I think TRW might be a bit tough for her right now. But most of the others are probably in her range. I will be sure to check out the Hawesfest with her itís so close we can ride over from the house.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    My 8 year old got a similar 20Ē Norco for. Christmas. We have been riding Apache Wash up north in the Sonoran Mtn Perseve. I always feel bad when her 55 lbs has to pedal around a 30 lbs bike while Iím on my 27 lbs carbon bike

They just donít make light kids bikes. So I try for flat riding.
    What model Norco 20 did you get? I was really close to pulling the trigger on the Norco Charger 2.1 for her but ended up with the KONA Shred 20 because she liked the color better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I take my 7 year old to Papago all the time. The areas west of the zoo are perfect for her.