mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Trail recommendations for Tucson and Phoenix Areas needed

I'll be out in the Tucson and Phoenix areas for four days over the thanksgiving holidays with unlimited amount of time to ride during those days. Would like to do two days in Tucson and two days in the Phoenix area.

I enjoy fast, flowy non to mildly technical singletrack. My skills are intermediate and usually ride around 40 miles or 4 hours a per riding day depending on terrain, etc. I'm from West Texas so im used to desert trails, sunshine, and warm temps.

I'll be riding either a Salsa Spearfish or a Surly Krampus. Not sure which bike I'll be bringing yet. The Krampus is really fun on fast, smooth singletrack.

Thanks for the help.

How much further ???
    Check sticky at top of page.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Give it a crank
    You'll have to go to the McDowell Mountain Regional Park in Fountain Hills for the good non-tech stuff, do Pemberton Trail and add as much tech as you'd like via connecting trails.

Also Desert Classic Trails at South Mountain from the Pima parking lot is awesome but packed on weekends.

That's two, I'll let others add PSP and more fun stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Tucson is all about Tech. TORCA is having a big group ride on Friday the 29th. They are riding Bug Springs through Millie. These are two of the best AM trails in Tucson. AZ trail is your best bet form smooth.

mtbr member
    for Tucson, I think the Chiva Loop would be a good idea.
    Tucson MTB Addicts Chiva Falls - YouTube

Not too technical and very "flowy"... oh god, did I really use that word...
    Below Par on the Gnar

Ahhh the pain....
    In PHX, Black Canyon Trail is hard to beat for good XC and views. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | BCT w Randy near Black Canyon City | Times and Records | Strava
    Another great option is the Arizona Trail south of Picket Post. You can do an out and back and make it as long as you like...15 miles out gets you some great views. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | PP to Gila and back w Jeff and Tim near Superior | Times and Records | Strava
    For stuff a little closer to town, McDowells, Phx Mtn Preserve, and Sonoran Preserve are all great XC options.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for all the great help. Im not locked into Tucson or Phoenix other than one day in Phoenix, I just figured that the higher elevation areas in Arizona would be getting pretty cold by then.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Global bikes map collection will get you lined out for all the options around phoenix
    phoenixmtbmaps

Arizona Trail near I10, Vail, and Pistol hill is a good option for Tucson area

Enjoy!

My other ride is your mom
    I would recommend for fast and flowy in Tucson, the Arizona Trail Segment from Pistol Hill out to Three bridges and back....was out there today:

Trail recommendations for Tucson and Phoenix Areas needed-1_contrasts.jpg

mtbr dismember

Second them

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    In PHX, Black Canyon Trail is hard to beat for good XC and views....Another great option is the Arizona Trail south of Picket Post.
    If you want "...fast, flowy non to mildly technical singletrack. My skills are intermediate... "
    Black Canyon Trail out of Black Canyon City and Arizona Trail south from Picketpost can't be beat. Lots of photos, etc. on my bike site.
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 11-12-2013 at 06:54 AM.

AZ
    banned
    Picketpost. Bring a camera.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Picketpost. Bring a camera.
    +1 but definitely not fast and "flowy"

mtbr member
    Don't overlook the K-Trail system in E Mesa. While getting 40 miles out there would require crossing over yourself a bit it's got great flow, is only mildly technical (even the tech loop is truly XC riding) and it's well built.
    AKA: G-wat

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Another option for fast and flowing non technical is Sonoran trail system near I-17 and Carefree Hwy. You can link north and south loops and do 30 miles.

For more rocks there is also BCT from Emery Henderson. Head north as far as you want. Different feel from BCT south of Rock Springs to little pan loop, but ride far enough and you will get to the little pan loop.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Plus size jersey model
    For Tucson I would second the Pistol Hill to 3 Bridges ride. Its not to techy and offers great singletrack. Plus if you feel like extending your ride you can keep riding south until you feel like turning around. It goes all the way to Mexico. I also really enjoy the Bellota Ranch section of the AZT. Gives you a different perspective on Tucson riding with all the rolling grass hills and the awesome views of Lemmon. Obviously since I am a board member of TORCA and we are having a big group ride Friday I would say join us but it sounds like some of it might be outta your techy comfort range. Bugs thru Millie is a AZ must IMO but it def is on the very advanced side of techy in spots. I can get you gps files of any of the Tucson rides so just shoot me a pm if you want any.

For Phoenix-ish area I would say Black Canyon Trail though its a little far north.

Also if you can hit Picket Post DO IT! Such an amazing ride. I think I might just have to bail on the race this weekend and go ride there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks so much! Looks like many great options to choose from. Really looking forward to this trip.