mtbr member
    May 2013

Trail near Jomax and 67th ave??

So I was on my way home yesterday afternoon and saw a fellow mtb'r crossing over Jomax from south to north and looked like he was headed out into the desert. Looking toward the north, it appeared there might be some single track off in the distance. Is there a trail system leading out to the North from Jomax near 67th ave?

mtbr member
    instead of posting why don't you go check it out flyboy

check google maps too
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=67th+...ed=0CC8Q8gEwAA

Go Speed Racer
    There are some trails out there. Peoria east wing and west wing. I have ridden a small part of them. Do some searching on mtbr and google and you will find some info. There is not a lot of miles on the mountains and from what I gather they are really better for hiking. With Deem/Sonoran/tbird being so close to that area, I think most people head there instead. If you go out there be sure to post your experience here, as I too am curious about those trails. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    There really aren't any trails just North of Jomax. It is old soft jeep road. It can be used to connect either the desert past Sonoaran Mtn Ranch over to Deems or to the canal path between 67th and Deems.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks! I'll have to go explore for myself. Like I said, I saw a mtbr heading out across that area and figured he might be on to something. I usually ride Sonoran preserve but am looking for some within riding distance from West Wing Mountain. I'd like to hit up some weekday early morning rides before work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Check this out.Pyramid Peak by azpoolguy at Garmin Connect - Details. I don't know what link to copy to just have it show up here but this should work for you.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I think that's it!! Where it crosses Jomax is right where I was referring to. Im going be checking it out. Thanks again!

Shred...it's the new drug
    i've rode west wing and east wing over off of 83rd n pinncale peak. my inlaws live up there. west is more better than east. at least all rideable. fun sections on that loop. bout 3-5 miles of fun for an hour. i'll have to try that pyramid loop when it cools off and I'm stuck at the inlaws

Give it a crank
    Sunrise Mtn. is small but pretty decent out there, it connects with West Wing Mtn. too.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...36993&t=p&z=15

The OP is probably talking about the road that goes around New River Dam, there's actually a road on each side around the dam and a ton of jeep trails behind the dam. Not that great for mtb though.

XC Geek
    I haven't posted here in quite a while but since this is in my back yard and I know the area here goes. There's quite a bit of single track North of this area besides the West Wing hiking trails. If you get North of the dam there is a loop that's about 3 miles (iirc), it's pretty flat singletrack and was a great place to train. If you continue North to the canal crossing and follow the jeep roads Northeast you can access the Pyrimad Peak singletrack, lots of good options over 20 miles round trip. If your in for a longer ride you can follow the jeep trails further North and enter the Black Canyon Trail, I'm not sure where you cross the 303 since I haven't ridden since it's been opened but I'm sure you can get through one of the underpasses. These trails have been there for years, we used to ride dirtbikes out here in the 70's and 80's.
    Entrance to flat single track
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.74...4&z=18&iwloc=A
    CAP crossing & jeep road to backside of Pyrimid Peak trails
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.77...0&ie=UTF8&z=18
    Hope this helps you find some of the great trails available in this area.
    I should be doing something more productive with my time!

mtbr member
    This is some really great beta, folks. Thanks a bunch for posting.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I tried it out yesterday. It's big spaghetti bowl of jeep roads. I found myself on a couple of dead ends, back tracked and went up different jeep trails. It finally let me out into a neighborhood near pinnacle peak road.
    I was a tad disappointed but at least I explored it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yah. It is confusing out there. I rode there every Thursday night for two years with a guy that knows every good trail and conecters out there. I still get confused where I'm at some times.

XC Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy2992 View Post
    I tried it out yesterday. It's big spaghetti bowl of jeep roads. I found myself on a couple of dead ends, back tracked and went up different jeep trails. It finally let me out into a neighborhood near pinnacle peak road.
    I was a tad disappointed but at least I explored it.
    If you ended up at Pinnacle Peak you are on the wrong side of New River dam, everything worth riding is North of the dam and the best parts are North of the CAP canal.
    I should be doing something more productive with my time!