mtbr member

Hope Trail Maintenance Days

Hey gang- I am so surprised when a post *****ing/praising on new trail can reach 350 views in 5 hours, but shocked when a post about trail maintenance can only get 160 views in 2 days.

Rather than blame, I tried to think of why and maybe this is it> The title has MBAA in it which to many riders means racers/racing only.

Let it be known that MBAA is not just a racing sanction, but also an advocate for our trails. You do not need to be a member of MBAA, or even a racer to come help on trail days. Hope this is the confusion and hope it clears it up and I hope to see more of us out there.

They seem to have a different format for the maintenance day making it into more of a fun social event too. Check the link here>MBAA trail work schedule for 2014

And to be clear- I am not a rep or member of the MBAA. But I am trying to get a free keg of local craft brew out to some of these trail days...
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    It's a perpetual challenge for how to get folks to come out for trail days. We have monthly SDMB trail work days in Tucson, and on average we only get 4-5 folks out. My favorite response I hear is "Nah... I'd rather ride my bike than do trail work". To me this epitomizes the sense of entitlement and apathy that many (but not all) mountain bikers have in regards to the trails.

On the other hand, people LOVE to build new trail, and for our Yetman Reroute trail days we have been having upwards of 30 people for each event. If only there was a way to continue that excitement into maintaining the trails that we already have... Good luck with the work days.

How much further ???
    My issue is time and I know that is an excuse but its a constant struggle to find the time. I have pushed my limit recently with training for and riding 3 AES events, and finding the time to ride with a wife and a 4 year old and twin 2 year old's is hard. I only get so much time in a weekend and I have to make the choice what to do with that time. I have personally taken tools out to the trail to do a combined ride/maintenance day i.e. (I cleared a few miles of catclaw from the AZT for the PicketPost AES race) but scheduling a big half day/full day for trail maintenance is hard. I hope to give back more when time allows.

I am going to donate to the AZT association and partake in the AZT Jamboree. I'm trying where I can.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    cstem, to clarify your point, MBAA is first and foremost a trail advocacy association. The race series, as well as other fund raising events, serve to fund and support trail advocacy and overall support and development of mountain biking in Arizona.

Trail work is not for everyone and totally understand those that have families or whatever other commitments that cannot make it out to do trail work. The thought process for creating the weekend event and throwing in camping, coaching and social activities is to provide an environment to get entire families out and engage the youth of mountain biking. Too often we leave our families behind to go ride, why not create events where everyone feels welcome and can participate in the activities? Can't teach the value of being involved in the creation and preservation of trails too young.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    One thing we do in Merritt BC is to have members 'adopt' a trail; ie they take the challenge for one year; to steward the trail; getting others to help ie when a tree is down or a re-route is needed. This seems to work well. The 'stewards' feel privileged to be responsible for a trail; and they know that they are contributing to that 100% (TD) experience. They, in turn, benefit from the stewardship of other members on other trails. We are a small club with lots of trails, so we can always use more help; but its a good start. We post the stewards so that if you spot a problem when ridin, you can email the appropriate steward and advise them; and likely help in the resolution. Most members carry a portable saw (Oh, we have BIG trees in BC) in their packs. Remember; Be Prepared.
    Note that we often get hikers helping us.
    cheers. TS
    Merritt Mountain Biking Association; MMBA

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I take part in various trail builds around AZ when I can fit them in. I've found the amount of people you have at builds depends on who the organizer/foundation is. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying MBAA is not doing a wonderful job for they have. I also support MBAA yearly. One suggestion is to maybe pair up with another trail organization to get more man/women power. One organization that I have been apart of in past years and helped on builds is VOAZ. They have a lot of members and every event I've been at has been full and depending on the build/trail day can have between 5 to 20 people participating. They even have the tools. Just food for thought.

Cstem - I see where you are coming from. Other side of the coin perspective though for those that helped build that trail is it not a wonderful thing to see all that praise for the job that you did. I go back to trails I helped build and see if it is still holding up. I even brag a bit on the sections I helped with. Unfortunately I was not one on that build but if I was one of them I would be grinning ear to ear with happiness to see guys/gals giving it praise.

mtbr member
    Deep appreciation for everyone who manages any time to do trail work--builds and maintenance! When I worked for Rio Tinto/Resolution Copper in Superior several years back, Rio employees got a couple "free" volunteer days a year to help build the Picket Post section of the AZT. I love being able to ride that section and remember down to the rock the sections I worked on. It certainly made trail work easier when my then-employer was directly involved in the advocacy. Fast-forward to the present, an 80-mile daily commute and frequent travel across the state through the week, there just aren't enough hours in the week right now. But I am and will always be a member of the ATA, and every now and then you might see me out there on a weekend pruning back cat claw or moving earth. You might even see me on my bike.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

mtbr member
    Thanks Alan- and I think making the trail day a bit of a happening for the whole fam is a great idea. I hope it works and look forward to seeing you out there. Probably the February one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_AlanS View Post
    cstem, to clarify your point, MBAA is first and foremost a trail advocacy association. The race series, as well as other fund raising events, serve to fund and support trail advocacy and overall support and development of mountain biking in Arizona.

Trail work is not for everyone and totally understand those that have families or whatever other commitments that cannot make it out to do trail work. The thought process for creating the weekend event and throwing in camping, coaching and social activities is to provide an environment to get entire families out and engage the youth of mountain biking. Too often we leave our families behind to go ride, why not create events where everyone feels welcome and can participate in the activities? Can't teach the value of being involved in the creation and preservation of trails too young.

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Check out the Pine Strawberry Fuel Reduction website for upcoming work days on the Bearfoot Trail in Pine USA!!!! We have nearly completed all work on the Bearfoot Trail. Only one difficult drainage to complete ... probably 2 or 3 work days left unless 25 people show up for the January work event (weather permitting)

mtbr member
    90 throw a link to that? I will put it on my FB!

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    cstem
    Here is the website with all trail work events ... updated each month... as weather permits

Pine Strawberry Fuel Reduction