Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trail etiquette article on AZ Central...yep we're in there and so is Strava.

4K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  broncbuster 
#1 ·
#6 ·
horses get to do whatever they want.

View attachment 1000334
I know, and the article stating that it evaporates and blows away quickly is BS. It's just effin lazy that the rider won't get off his horse and shovel the poop off the trail. A pet pooping is a pet pooping, bottom line. Horses are pets.

#10 ·
Pretty the only part I really disagree with is ". What I've found is that you need to make the assumption that the horse may be brand new to it and will get freaked out if you run or ride up on them."

I believe if your horse is not ready for Prime Time on the trails and sharing, then that horse needs to be eased into it in arenas then canal paths, then less used trail etc. It is the same as MTB riders who come out unprepared. Control your pet!

#15 ·
I actually think that's a pretty well written, fairly un-biased article. As Skeeter posted, I expected it to be very pro-hiker/runner and more anti-bike. Glad to see we weren't painted with that brush this time.

One thing that did not escape me was the insinuation that a horse galloping at 20mph down the trail was difficult to stop, so "someone" plainly meaning everyone but her and her 1000lb beast will have to GTFOTW. It's not OK for a MTB to blast down a trail at 20mph near anyone else, even though we have complete control of a piece of equipment with very effective brakes. Somehow is still cool for an equestrian to barrel across the desert atop a 1-ton animal that 'should' do as commanded, but possibly not if it's not used to people or the environment.

Seems like business as usual to me, although I'm pleased to see some legitimization of the bicycles finally.

#26 ·
The the big question is do you pack out your own sh!t? I know I have dropped a deuce or two in the desert in my lifetime and I ain't picking that up.

#30 ·
I can hardly pick up dog poo with a long rake and scoop set up with out dry heaving. If I pick up the smell, its all over. Horse poo I have never had issue with. I guess it is just preference or opinion. Either way whining, yelling and screaming your opinion - while your first amendment right- still makes you look like a weiner. Now I will add that I believe horse poop right on the trail near the trail head (where tourists and noobs are more likely to be) is unsightly for them.

Either way, I treat giant piles of poo like rocks. I ride around them, they rarely ever surprise me and when I see them it is usually a total of 20 feet of a 20 mile ride. It seems ignorant to let 20 feet of horse poop ruin the rest of my blissful ride. YMMV

#37 ·
Hey I never said that I love poop, or that I actively pursue it. I would also rather not see it. I'm Canadian, not German. I'm just saying that it shouldn't affect the ride. I rode for about 2.5 hours today, saw a few piles of horse poop, literally dealt with it for under 2 seconds. Gave a quick exhale while passing so as to not take in the odor, swerve around the pile, and carry on. 2 days from now that pile will be gone. Some people just need to be angry. I guess that's why they make single speeds. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.