Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    660

    Trail apps for cell phones

    Hey all,
    I have a new droid and the other day a friend of mine whipped out his iphone and was showing off a cool app for mtb/hiking trails (from North Face I think) that will find the closest one to you in the U.S.

    So i've got a little iphone envy now cuz it would be cool to have this app when I'm traveling and I searched on the droid and no app seems to be similar. Anyone out there with a droid have an app like the one I mentioned?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation: cesslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,111
    Trimble Outdoors.

  3. #3
    Saucy Size Moderator
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    Trimble Outdoors.
    I was gonna suggest this one too, except the last half-dozen times I've tried to get a tracklog off it the stupid thing just...quits. No explanation, not out of juice, it just decides it's bored with its job or something. :-/
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  4. #4
    skilldestę
    Reputation: _dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    438
    anyone have luck wiht runstar?

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation: cesslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    I was gonna suggest this one too, except the last half-dozen times I've tried to get a tracklog off it the stupid thing just...quits. No explanation, not out of juice, it just decides it's bored with its job or something. :-/
    Probably due to personal attacks. Be nice to electronics please. They will rule the world before you know it.

  6. #6
    pedaller
    Reputation: Noelg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,399
    My tracks (free download to Droid.)
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 'size's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    My tracks (free download to Droid.)
    my tracks only records your routes, it doesn't have a search function to find trails near you. i think trimble is the only android app that has search.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GR1822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,090
    Check out the GPS/HRM forum, there are quiet a few threads on this.


    It's not what you are looking for, but peaks at is a cool ap that id's all of the mt peaks around you.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone
    Hey all,
    I have a new droid and the other day a friend of mine whipped out his iphone and was showing off a cool app for mtb/hiking trails (from North Face I think) that will find the closest one to you in the U.S.

    So i've got a little iphone envy now cuz it would be cool to have this app when I'm traveling and I searched on the droid and no app seems to be similar. Anyone out there with a droid have an app like the one I mentioned?

    Thanks!
    Check out MapMyRide.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    527
    all phones and apps for phones should be banned from the trails! If I have an Iphone person show me his new trail riding app I am going to go to jail for for the first ever homicide where the weapon was an iphone.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

  11. #11
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,797
    Why so hostile against GPS apps ?

  12. #12
    skilldestę
    Reputation: _dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    438
    I feel pity for the fool that 'attempts' homicide via cell phone.

  13. #13
    Saucy Size Moderator
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    There's an app for that!
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    423
    There is a cool clinometer app for iPhone for $.99 which will allow you to accurately measure trail grades. This is really more of a trail building app than a trail riding app.

  15. #15
    recovering roadie
    Reputation: dobbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    509
    I've found that My Tracks is way less harsh on the battery consumption than Trimble. For what it's worth. I used it on a hike today and it basically did most of the stuff my Garmin Edge 305 would do, sans heart rate and cadence.

  16. #16
    Dave
    Reputation: liteandfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    866
    Quote Originally Posted by bweide
    There is a cool clinometer app for iPhone for $.99 which will allow you to accurately measure trail grades. This is really more of a trail building app than a trail riding app.
    I downloaded a android app "compass" and it has grade and lean angle too. Free.
    I have used "My Tracks" and it did pretty good comparing to my G305. Seems like it dropped the signal quite a few times.

    I use it for off road driving tape it to the dashboard.
    I need to ride more and work less.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    42

    Everytrail is coming for the Droid

    I recieved an email within the past 2 weeks that Everytrail is working on a Droid app. I'm holding out for that one. In the meantime i have been using RunKeeper to track my rides both road and mountain bike. Pretty cool.

  18. #18
    skilldestę
    Reputation: _dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    438
    everytrail is available now as andriod app...feeback is saying that it does not work so well to download/see other trails. details on your rides/runs/hikes are okay..

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GR1822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,090
    It's out.
    I have it.
    Haven't used it.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •