mtbr member

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser

I plan most family vacations around mtn bike rides and this one was no different. Probably the last big trip with one daughter heading off to college. I like to do my research and figure out what rides I want to do, what my daughters are capable of, mix it up with some hikes, and not have too many surprises on where to camp. I made my reservations for campgrounds in the national parks in February. Another planning factor is my oldest daughter is a competitive swimmer and headed off to swim on scholarship in college so we needed to hit some pools where possible for training. Swimmers gotta swim.

We put Flagstaff in our rear view mirror headed for a quick July 4th family reunion in Ogden Utah. Hot and dry in Flagstaff but unlike some years no forest closures with only one major wildfire. They were not so fortunate, however, in SW Utah where the Brian Head wildfire burned 71,673-acres before it was contained.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-3_brian-head-fire2.jpg

At this point we were unaware of the 100+ fires in British Columbia. In retrospect we got very lucky with our trip. At times most of our destinations were buried in smoke. My thoughts go out to all those folks who've lost homes and property this year to wildfire and a many thanks to those that fight them. Tough year for the west.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-3_brian-head-fire.jpg

While in Ogden wifey and I got out for a ride on July 4th on the trails near Snowbasin. After a warm up on Green Pond we headed over to Sardine Peak which has some nice open ridgeline riding.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-4th_1.jpg

A nice gradual but continuous climb brings you to a ripper of a downhill.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-4th_2.jpg

Sardine soon dives into a mix of meadow and oak trees. Good stuff but multi-use and busy and you need to be on the lookout for horses.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-4th_3.jpg

Obligatory bike mag exaggerated lean.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-4th_4.jpg

On July 6th we officially hit the road and made it to Montana where we camped at Clark Canyon Reservoir off I15 and had the place to ourselves. Except for the mosquitoes.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-6th_clark-cany-rez1.jpg

Land of the Big Sky for sure.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-6th_clark-cany-rez2.jpg
    Last edited by rockman; 01-01-2018 at 10:12 PM.

mtbr member

Bitterroots!

Up and at it the next day we took some back roads to Wisdom and spent the morning at the Big Hole National Battlefield. The Nez Percé fought a delaying action against the 7th Infantry Regiment (United States) here on August 9 and 10, 1877, during their failed attempt to escape to Canada.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-7_dirt-road.jpg

We crossed Lost Trail Pass in the Bitterroots and shuttled up to Porcupine Saddle to access the Warm Springs Ridge trail. The trail starts out in a massive burn area from a fire in 2000.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-7_warms-springs.jpg

This one is a point to point ride. The road up was a bit sporty so my wife drove the shuttle and my oldest daughter got to sample what riding in the Bitterroots is all about. I did this one solo in 2007 and knew it delivered. I forgot about some of the steep sections. Lauren didn't seem to mind.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-7_warms-springs2.jpg

Lots of lupine to savor while enjoying the initial climb.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-7_warms-springs3.jpg

Soon enough the trail traverses big open meadows with expansive views of the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-7_warms-springs4.jpg

Rather than continuing down Warm Springs to the terminus we turned left on the Fire Creek trail which drops 1824’ to the Warm Springs Creek trail and a pickup.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-7_fire-creek2.jpg

Fire Creek is just a fun and fast drop down into the Warm Springs drainage with lots of switchbacks to keep your speed in check.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-7_fire-creek.jpg

Ride stats were 12 miles with 1000’ of climbing and 3000’ of descending. Off to Kalispell to find a place to camp after a quick stop in Missoula.
    Last edited by rockman; 01-01-2018 at 10:29 PM.

mtbr member

Kalispell and Whitefish!

The Flathead Valley is super busy with lots of private land. Easy dispersed camping is hard to come by but found a spot up near the ski area on Blacktail Mtn on the west side of Flathead Lake.

There just happens to be an awesome shuttle ride that starts near the ski area known as FTBT or Foys to Blacktail.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-8_fybt1.jpg

Foys starts off quick and rooty with a fun mix of buff singletrack interspersed with steep sections.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-8_fybt2.jpg

Clear cut sections help make for some views.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-8_fybt3.jpg

After a short romp on Foys you make a right on Blacktail to Lakeside and continue to drop some vert.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-8_fybt4.jpg

Eventually some big views of Flathead Lake emerge.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-8_fybt5.jpg

After a quick 24 min with 4.4 miles and 2700’ elevation drop the ride was over and we were off to lunch in Whitefish. They've been building lots of new trails in Whitefish since we were here last but it was 95F in town and we decided to ride the lifts at Whitefish Mountain Resort.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-8_whitefish1.jpg

The Summit Trail is a fun blue cruiser of a trail. TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-8_whitefish2.jpg

After warming up on that I hit Kashmir which crosses Summit so I could ride ahead and then wait and watch the girls come down.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-8_whitefish3.jpg

After 3 hours of riding we packed up and made our way to Fernie where we had campsite reservations at Mt Fernie Provincial Park.
    Last edited by rockman; 01-01-2018 at 10:52 PM.

mtbr member

Fernie!

There's a ton of trails that are easy access right from the provincial park. While the girls slept in wifey and I climbed Stove Pipe to Mushroom Head and Red Sonja.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-9_fernie1.jpg

We quickly learned the trails in Fernie are steep and you need to dial up granny. Not so easy on 1x11. Red Sonja is a riot of a trail with berms, jumps, plenty of roots and a few stunts.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-9_fernie2.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-9_fernie3.jpg

The girls didn't want to ride so we went zip-lining instead and then knocked around Fernie. Cool vibe in this town. The whole community has embraced mtn biking and everyone was very friendly.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-9_fernie4.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-9_fernie5.jpg

The next day wifey and I got out again for an early am ride. We took Lazy Lizard to the project 9 access trail to Project 9.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-10_fernie1.jpg

Project 9 access is a super steep jeep road which I guess some can climb without putting a foot down but not us. Another wake-up call that Canadians like steep trails. We walked and rode where we could. That 1x11 vs granny gear thing. Starting to see a theme but Project 9 is an exciting downhill with lots of rocks, a couple of gaps and drops and a section creek bed riding....

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-10_fernie2.jpg

...and some flowy sections.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-10_fernie3.jpg

Back at the campground we took Lauren into town so she could get some pool time and then went for a hike up to Island Lake Lodge. The trail goes through an old growth forest of Western Hemlock (no bikes).

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-10_fernie4.jpg

I drove up the nearby rode with the bikes and met the girls for lunch at the lodge. Great low key vibe.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-10_fernie5.jpg

We then rode Lazy Lizard back to camp. My youngest was a ski racer and prefers gravity to climbing. Lazy Lizard is a fun swoopy trail with lots of berms.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-10_fernie6.jpg

Success. Day 5 and still having fun and most importantly not on their I phones.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-10_fernie7.jpg
    Last edited by rockman; 01-01-2018 at 11:00 PM.

My other ride is your mom
    How to plan epic road trips with mountain biking: search for rockman posts and follow the dots.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Next time beam me up for some BC ridin. I'm in Merritt, near Kelowna/Kamloops most of the Summer.
    Cheers
    TS

Meatbomb
    Nice.. I use to escape the summers to ride dirt bikes in the Whitefish area while in High school. Some awesome country.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-img_6414.jpgTR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-img_6330.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]1174558[/ATTACH

The first pic was an accident, but I liked it....It's up by Glacier NP, where the FSLEO was killed the previous summer....the second is a view of that fire from by Panguitch, and the last one was by Project 9....

]We hit some of the same trails this summer......Foys to Blacktail is great fun, I've done it as a climb from bottom to top and back again and as a point to point. The end towards WF is seeing some great construction efforts and I've been a donor of the FTBT for a few years. Whitefish Mtn Resort or Big Mountain as my wife insists on still calling it is great too. Kashmir is great, but I prefer Runaway Train, that is just a classic.

Went to Fernie......ate at the Island Lake Lodge, then rode Lazy Lizard to Project 9. That is one steep a@@ climb. Apparently the locals host a race up it every year. I was happy to have my 28T and 46 cassette, but I as well had to push it.

I think I'm on the same program as you, maybe a few years to go though.....Kid is a swimmer, but will be 5 years before I kick the younger one out and hit the road. There is a post in the car and biker forum about a couple that built a sweet Transit. They have a really nice blog, Far Out Ride I think. To call it extensive is an understatement. You can, and I most Likely will, build my van off their blog.

Great pics and RR!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-img_6618.jpg  

Last edited by azfishman; 12-27-2017 at 08:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    How to plan epic road trips with mountain biking: search for rockman posts and follow the dots.
    Ha, thanks man. I'm just getting warmed up but had to take a break to drive back from ootah.

Quote Originally Posted by Transition Senior View Post
    Next time beam me up for some BC ridin. I'm in Merritt, near Kelowna/Kamloops most of the Summer.
    Cheers
    TS
    Absolutely! I got as far west as Revelstoke but next time I want to hit Kamloops, Squamish, Chilcotins and maybe even further north. Canada is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    We hit some of the same trails this summer......Foys to Blacktail is great fun, I've done it as a climb from bottom to top and back again and as a point to point. The end towards WF is seeing some great construction efforts and I've been a donor of the FTBT for a few years. Whitefish Mtn Resort or Big Mountain as my wife insists on still calling it is great too. Kashmir is great, but I prefer Runaway Train, that is just a classic.

Went to Fernie......ate at the Island Lake Lodge, then rode Lazy Lizard to Project 9. That is one steep a@@ climb. Apparently the locals host a race up it every year. I was happy to have my 28T and 46 cassette, but I as well had to push it.

I think I'm on the same program as you, maybe a few years to go though.....Kid is a swimmer, but will be 5 years before I kick the younger one out and hit the road. There is a post in the car and biker forum about a couple that built a sweet Transit. They have a really nice blog, Far Out Ride I think. To call it extensive is an understatement. You can, and I most Likely will, build my van off their blog.

Great pics and RR!!
    I really wished I had my 6" bike for Whitefish, and most of Canada for that matter, but I took my 29r because I planned on some backcountry rides with lots of climbing. WRT the Transit have you seen this guys program? https://expovans.com/conversions/transit/

Round 2 coming up. Canadian Rockies!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    You AZ riders have shown me such wonderful hospitality; I'm pleased to offer to pay it back.
    BC has sooo many great ridin areas; and good summer temps to boot.
    Cheers.
    TS

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Very cool. I grew up in Kalispell, and did a lot of snowboarding in Fernie. Glad you got to see the area.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Excellent trip.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member

Kananaskis Country

We spent the next morning in Fernie doing laundary and Lauren hit the pool again at the community center. That gave me enough time to hit Hyperventilation to Hyperextension.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-11_fernie1.jpg

A sweet climb with some great views overlooking the valley and the town of Fernie. No pics of Hyperextension as I was having too much fun with the pitch, roots, twists and turns.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-11_fernie2.jpg

We then headed east and over Crowsnest Pass to the front range of the Canadian Rockies. We checked out Frank Slide and then made our way north on forestry trunk road 940 to Kananaskis Country.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-11_fernie3.jpg

~80 miles of dirt roads along the front range. An amazing drive. We found a nice campsite off the Oldman River. Some dust art.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-11_fernie4.jpg

July 12. We got up and hit Peter Lougheed Provincial Park and got an early campsite and went hiking. We did the Rawson Lake hike and then up to the ridge. I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves but the view of the thrust faulted limestones and dolomites is impressive.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-12_p-lougheed1.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-12_p-lougheed3.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-12_p-lougheed2.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-12_p-lougheed4.jpg

We got up early and watched the sun rise from the east lighting up the towering peaks of the Spray Mountains looming up over the Kananaskis Lakes.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-12_p-lougheed5.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-12_p-lougheed6.jpg
    Last edited by rockman; 01-01-2018 at 11:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Awesome post. Did you spend any time in the Kootenai valley?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Done that ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Some dust art.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July 11_Fernie4.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	1174624
    That's an amazing bit of artwork.

-db-

mtbr member

Jumpingpound Ridge and Cox Hill ride

Peter Lougheed Prov. Park was just a ploy to set up what is arguably the most renown ride in Kananaski Country-Jumpingpound Ridge to Cox Hill. https://www.bikepirate.com/jp-ridge-to-cox-hill/
    We found a camp near the trailhead and then had the girls shuttle wifey and I up the Powderface road to the Mt. McDougal TH.

The climb was brutal right off the bat. Steeper than it looks.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-13_jp-cox-hill1.jpg

Once we got near treeline the grade lessened but the climb is still continuous and sustained. The views helped.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-13_jp-cox-hill2.jpg

From experience I know when the helmet comes off I'm in trouble.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-13_jp-cox-hill3.jpg

Nancy's letting her feelings be known. But helmet back on. A good sign.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-13_jp-cox-hill4.jpg

Sorry honey, just a bit more climbing. Calgary is out there in the distance.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-13_jp-cox-hill5.jpg

Ah, the top of the climb with some great ridgeline singletrack cruising.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-13_jp-cox-hill6.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-13_jp-cox-hill7.jpg

Finally the downhill payoff.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-13_jp-cox-hill8.jpg

Oops, sorry honey one more climb to the top of Cox Hill.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-13_jp-cox-hill9.jpg

Sometimes you don't know until you go and this ride was much harder than what I had researched. I perhaps left out a few details when I relayed a semblance of that info to wifey. The climb was brutal with lots of HAB and rocky sections too difficult to ride for the most part. I read online that the area was pretty beat up from a freak rainstorm several years prior and the trails took a beating. The descent, however, off Cox Hill was simply fantastic, alternating technical sections with the fast and flowy. I'd do this one again for sure and since Nancy likes that sort of thing, it didn't turn out to be a divorce ride as I had feared. I like to think I married up.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-13_jp-cox-hill10.jpg

Ride stats were 12 miles with 3000' of elevation gain and nearly 4000' of descending.
    Last edited by rockman; 01-01-2018 at 11:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    If you put the climbs in meters, and the descents in feet; it will make you feel better.
    Well done! Thanks for the journey.
    Cheers.
    TS

mtbr member

Lake Louise

It was time to do the touristy thing so we ponied up and got a room at the iconic Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise hotel.

I rather enjoyed pulling up to this ritzy hotel in our dirty rig.
    TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-14_l-louise1.jpg

One must rent a canoe and paddle around the glacier fed lake so we did.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-14_l-louise2.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-14_l-louise3.jpg

The we headed over to Moraine Lake to catch the sunset.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-14_l-louise4.jpg

Soaking it in. And not on their Iphones.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-14_l-louise5.jpg

We woke up to this view and then went hiking all day.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-15_l-louise1.jpg

Hiking here is popular and crowded but the scenery can't be beat. We first hiked up to Lake Agnes from the Lodge and had a snack at the teahouse.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-15_l-louise2.jpg

From there we hiked to the top of the Beehive which has a monster view to the lake and lodge below.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-15_l-louise3.jpg

Then off to the Plain of Six Glaciers. Gotta do it if your in Banff.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-15_l-louise5.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-15_l-louise4.jpg
    Last edited by rockman; 01-01-2018 at 11:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    God saved the Queen!
    as for Trudeau......................
    He's Trump fodder!
    TS

mtbr member

Jasper

We did the Columbia Icefields Pkwy to Jasper but alas the smoke from the BC fires had caught up to us. Not much to say other than we made the best of it. The smoke would come and go but mostly obscured the nearby peaks.

We did a town ride and then hit Trail 7 which has some nice riding along the Athabasca River. Stopped for a bit to watch a grizzly and cubs feeding on an elk carcass from a safe distance.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-17_trail-7.jpg

Valley of the 5 Lakes.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-19_5-lakes.jpg

Overlander Trail.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-19_overlander1.jpg

I'm pretty sure what this is. Comforting on a solo ride that I have company somewhere nearby.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-19_overlander2.jpg

More Overlander.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-19_overlander3.jpg

Walking on water. Athabasca River.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-18_athabasca-r.jpg

Jasper has an amazing amount of riding and the coolest thing is that it's condoned in a national park. There's a ton of stuff off the grid which I didn't get to sample. Maybe next time.
    Last edited by rockman; 01-01-2018 at 11:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sick RM!

I'm not so sure I'd like riding around griz country! They scare me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Nice work, Rockman. That Jumpingpound-Cox Hill loop has a number of climbs that are beasts and they never get easier. When I first started riding 20 years ago, I thought I was in good enough shape and skill to tackle that ride within a couple months of buying a mtn bike and convinced my girlfriend and another newb rider to take it on. No cell, no gps, no bike computer. Sleeveless shirt and jean shorts with trail runners and ended up in a freak snow storm in June and no idea how far we had gone or left to go. Never so glad to finally reach the top and do that final descent. I was a borderline Darwin candidate.
    You hit a number of the highlights in BC and AB. Well done, sir.

mtbr member
    After 4 days in Jasper I dropped the girls off at the Calgary airport and then went to ride Razor's Edge on my way to Revelstoke. I had a week to make my way back to Arizona so the plan was ride, drive, rinse, repeat. So much riding to choose from. Anyway, I had heard about what a fun technical AM ride Razor's Edge was and it's right off the hwy near Canmore in Quaite Valley.

After screwing around trying to figure out where to park (the Quaite Valley Connector was closed) I began the climb up Prairie View. Another steep one but not too bad. I soon found the turn (unmarked I think-not sure this is an official trail yet?) and was on a gradual climb out the ridgeline. This soon got super technical with lots of short, but steep sections of limestone ledges and slab. Up and down and I had a hard time finding any flow without knowing what was next or around the corner. My hat's off to those who can clean the ridgeline ascent.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-21_razors-edge1.jpg

Looking back at Grant MacEwan Peak.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-21_razors-edge2.jpg

Once I was out on the open ridgeline, however, and gravity was in my favor I began to appreciate the unique trail routing. Almost a dance of sorts, found my rhythm, and dropped down to the hwy on a descent that linked up long sections of tilted bedrock with short little singletrack connectors. Way too much fun!

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-21_razors-edge3.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-21_razors-edge4.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-21_razors-edge5.jpg
    Last edited by rockman; 01-02-2018 at 12:08 AM.

mtbr member

Revelstoke-Martha Creek

I initially wanted to do two rides in Revelstoke in the alpine but scratched Keystone Standard Basin when it started to rain and instead caught a shuttle for the Martha Creek (Sale Mountain) trail. The summit is at nearly 7000' high in the alpine which is oddly enough the elevation of my house in Flagstaff.

The drop off at the BC Hydro station at the summit. Light drizzle and clouds mostly obscuring what must be a fantastic view. My riding companions were a couple from WA and a nice dude from Calgary that I played leap frog with.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-22_martha1.jpg

The trail starts without much fanfare but soon gets exciting.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-22_martha2.jpg

Rocky and greasy tread. Yes!

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-22_martha3.jpg

High alpine meadows.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-22_martha4.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-22_martha5.jpg

An alpine ride isn't complete without a snowbank or two.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-22_martha6.jpg

Lots of boardwalk in the wet sections.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-22_martha7.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-22_martha8.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-22_martha9.jpg

The lower half is mostly sweet, buff singletrack at which point I put my camera away.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-22_martha10.jpg

4600' of descending. Wow, put this one on the bucket list. Rather than wait to see if the weather would break I decided to head to Rossland.
    Last edited by rockman; 01-02-2018 at 12:13 AM.

mtbr member

Rossland-7 Summits

IMBA epic trail status. Not sure what that means but 7 summits get's a lot of hype. More importantly no smoke and it seemed the thing to do. 7 summits might imply that there are 7 climbs but really it's one initial 2000' climb out of the gate and then three shorter ones. If you like ridgeline riding along undulating singletrack with sweet descents then put this one on the list. The last downhill down the Dewdney trail is a riot if you've got any energy left. More info here: https://www.bikepirate.com/seven-summits/

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-23-7summits1.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-23-7summits2.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-23-7summits4.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-23-7summits5.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-23-7summits6.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-23-7summits7.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-23-7summits8.jpg

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-23-7summits9.jpg

Kudos to the trail builders. I'd do this one again for sure. Ride stats are 22 miles with 3400' elev gain and 6500' of descending.
    Last edited by rockman; 01-02-2018 at 12:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Wow...just Wow. That's awesome. Lake Louise is beyond spectacular. Thank you for sharing!!!

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Xtra Epic Ride Report from the master, Elder Airsman. Well Done Rockman

mtbr member

Curly Lake Highline - Tobacco Root Mtns, Montana

After a travel day I was back in Montana and hit up the Curly Lake Highline ride in the Tobacco Roots near Whitehall. This one has been on my to-do list for years but never managed it.

From the Rock Creek TH you ride up the S. Boulder Rd.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly1.jpg

The road gradually gets steeper and more primitive and eventually a 4wd bit of nonsense.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly2.jpg

After 7 miles and ~2000' of climbing you reach the singletrack.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly3.jpg

The trail is a wee bit technical and steep but offers fine views overlooking the S. Boulder River valley.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly4.jpg

Most of the switchbacks were rideable.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly5.jpg

Eventually you reach a sweet meadow filled with wildflowers called Westphal Parks.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly6.jpg

The trail becomes smoother and after a bit more climbing and a short but sweet downhill you cross Curly Creek. There's also a lake but it was buggy and I didn't linger.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly7.jpg

The climb begins again in earnest with a moderate grade. Approaching treeline.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly8.jpg

4000' and still not there. Starting to wonder when it's going to end because you never really get a view of the top while on the climb.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly9.jpg

The top of the climb is up there somewhere.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly10.jpg

All things considered this is one of the nicest backcountry climbs anywhere.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly11.jpg

The final push and now in subalpine krumholz. I had to look that one up.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly12.jpg

The top of the climb which is really just a big rounded bit of what resembles alpine tundra.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly13.jpg

On top the trail is faint in places and marked by cairns. Looking back at the Tobacco Root Range.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly14.jpg

Oh yeah, the downhill. This pic would look much better with a rider railing this corner. Bringing a tripod to stage shots while on solo rides always seemed silly to me but I was wishing I had one.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly15.jpg

And yeah, you start losing the vert right off the bat. Lots of loose rock talus sections and you had to surf a bit.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly16.jpg

Back in the trees the rocks don't ease up. Really this is one of the more demanding pay attention type of descents I'd been on in awhile.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly17.jpg

Eventually you turn off the Curly Lake trail onto the Rock Creek trail and start descending toward S. Boulder River valley.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly18.jpg

Yowza, the last bit is mostly buff fast singletrack through open meadows filled with sage

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-25_curly19.jpg

This really is a top 5 type ride. I caught it after a rain so conditions were mostly perfect. Riding time was 6 hours with 24 miles and nearly 5000' of elevation gain.
    Last edited by rockman; 01-02-2018 at 12:27 AM.

beater
    Nice photos! That wooded ridgeline in the first descent is my favorite part.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Nice photos! That wooded ridgeline in the first descent is my favorite part.
    Yeah that section is pretty nice. I wonder how the descent would be if you kept it going by heading down the Curly Creek trail? You could make a shorter and less committing loop. Anyhow, thanks for all the Montana beta over the years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I got as far west as Revelstoke but next time I want to hit Kamloops, Squamish, Chilcotins and maybe even further north. Canada is amazing.
    Nice work Rockman, thanks for the TR! Lots of stuff in there I've never hit.

Don't forget to add Golden, Valemount, Williams Lake, Burns Lake, Smithers, Pemberton, Sunshine Coast, and all of Vancouver Island to that list. Whitehorse has some killer riding now too...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Nice work Rockman, thanks for the TR! Lots of stuff in there I've never hit.

Don't forget to add Golden, Valemount, Williams Lake, Burns Lake, Smithers, Pemberton, Sunshine Coast, and all of Vancouver Island to that list. Whitehorse has some killer riding now too...
    Well that's saying a lot coming from the Master of the Roadtrip

I drove by Golden but didn't stop. I've heard good things about Burns Lake. I've been to Whitehorse but for geology field work rather than biking. Geez just to get to the Canadian border from AZ is 1300 miles.

mtbr member

Pika Point - Madison Range MT

After Curly Lake HiLine I headed south and I drove the Gravelly Range Road which traverses across a high elevation plateau. Found a campsite at 10,000' with big views looking across the Madison River Valley and behind that the Madison Range Mtns.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-26_pica1.jpg

In the other direction the sun was setting over the Snowcrest Range.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-26_pica2.jpg

A token dinner shot. Cooking for one and I confess starting to think more about the return home than another big ride.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-26_pica3.jpg

I had high hopes for pulling off Mile-Sheep in the south Madison Range near Hebgen Lake. I wasn't feeling too keen on a 30 mile ride with 6000' of climbing solo in bear country so opted for something a bit shorter. Pica Point in the Taylor Fork area near Big Sky fit the bill. There are two ways to do the climb: the oil well ATV trail which is a bit longer but with big views, or Little Wapiti which goes up the drainage. Thunderstorms were building so I chose the latter option and turned right rather than being out in the open.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-26_pica4.jpg

Looking back toward the trailhead.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-26_pica5.jpg

The first part of Little Wapiti is pretty sweet but it's a decoy.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-26_pica6.jpg

Soon the trail becomes largely overgrown and marshy and was hard to find in places.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-26_pica7.jpg

It then becomes steep and eroded with more HAB than riding. I had chosen poorly and should have stuck with the recommended ATV climb.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-26_pica8.jpg

It get's better toward the top but in the meadows is mostly an eroded trench. This is a Cherry Ride in the Montana Singletrack book but really it's just a backcountry bushwhack. And it's mostly in what appears to be primo bear habitat. Don't do this.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-26_pica9.jpg

I finally reached the ATV trail but the rain was moving in.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-26_pica10.jpg

Nobody knows I'm here and I'm above treeline.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-26_pica11.jpg

A view of Lomna Lake from Pica Point. Time for the downhill which was a rowdy, moto torn hoot of a shaly, rocky descent.

TR - 2017 Canada roadtrip with a MT appetizer and chaser-july-26_pica13.jpg

Ride stats were 15 miles with 3000' of elev gain. Riding time was 2:15 but the ride took me 3.5 hours with all the HAB. If you do this one definitely climb the ATV trail.

Last ride of the trip. Thanks for reading and Happy Trails in 2018! Long live the mountain bike roadtrip!
    Last edited by rockman; 01-02-2018 at 12:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Remember; Canada awaits. if you can get over/under the WALL
    I have plenty of contacts so let me know.
    Cheers.
    TS