mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Townsend Winona Road trail advise

In a couple weeks The Mrs. and I have an invite to use a friend’s house near flag for a few days. It's a beautiful place, we’re taking the dogs and it should be a real relaxing get-away… that is if I can squeeze in a little riding in between the relaxing!

The cabin is just off Townsend Winona Road about 2 miles from the highway. I’m looking for some trails to ride that are close so I can make quick forays early in the morning or during naps. I’ll be by myself (Mrs. doesn’t ride) so it would be great if there was cell phone service or some regular trail traffic to find me just in case. We’ll be up there over the weekend and during the week.

If there is a early AM regular group ride that a 50 year old mid pack cat 2 XC type would like I’m not shy but I don’t like having people wait on me a long time either.

Thanks

banned
    How far from highway 89 are you going to be down Townsend Winona? The AZ Trail runs under 89 through a tunnel just shy of the intersection with Townsend Winona. If you can easily connect with it, you can ride in either direction. You also have numerous options on both sides of the highway.

On the east side, you can ride to where the AZ Trail feeds into Rain Valley Road and follow the road a quarter mile up to east Route 66, cross over it, and follow the service road next to the railroad tracks (Lucky Lane), back towards town, about two miles, and then you can carry your bike over the tracks and ride through a tunnel under I-40 to connect to the loops on Campbell Mesa.

If you ride to the west side of 89, you can ride up Sandy Seep Trail to where Christmas Tree Trail feeds in, turn left and ride back towards Fatman's Loop. You'll need to be careful to exit that trail at the sign saying Pipeline Trail. That will take you along the base of Elden, around to the south where you can connect to a number of fun trails. I live in the area and ride and run these trails a lot. Contact me if you want a riding partner.

Last 3...

Sail Away by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    Atrocity Exibition by Joy Division
    X Y & Z by Pop Will Eat Itself

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    IA guide would be cool. What's your schedule? I can probably work around it especially early in the morning. I'm guessing with the afternoon Tstorm action AM is best anyway.

We'll be up there Aug 7th through 10th and maybe 11th.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rideandshoot
    IA guide would be cool. What's your schedule? I can probably work around it especially early in the morning. I'm guessing with the afternoon Tstorm action AM is best anyway.

We'll be up there Aug 7th through 10th and maybe 11th.
    Good timing. I'm taking a break from work until the 16th, with an outside chance I may be called upon to do some work this week and next. So I'll be out riding and running on the trails a lot the next two weeks. Stay in touch. I'll send you a PM with my phone number.

last three...

All Night Long by Peter Murphy
    Get the Message by Electronic
    Here Comes A Regular by Grub Dog