mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Tour of the White Mountains race changes

I've done this race the last 4 years and have always enjoyed it because the course was decent, was kind of low key for Epic, free beer afterwards and you can camp at the race. But this year the changes really surprised me. It's no longer in Show Low, the fees have gone up (so surprising from Epic) and the 30 mile race appears to be mostly be an out and back which depending on the trail is going to suck.

Anyone have the inside scoop of what's going on? Anyone know the new course and how good it is? The old was a mix of awesome singletrack and forest roads which weren't too bad. The cost going up just adds to the ridiculousness of what Epic is getting for their races. $95 now for the 30 and 50 miles races and a whopping $60 for the fun rides. Really??

Epic Rides : Tour of the White Mountains : Tour of the White Mountains

mtbr member
    So, $10 of that goes to the beneficiaries, helping put cancer patients up in a hotel by the hospital. I'm cool with that. Where does the other $85 go?

Having a race and naming beneficiaries is cool, but taking the cake for yourself and giving the cancer patients the crumbs is kind of a dirtbag move. In other words, if 600 people show up, the cancer victims get $6000, and Epic gets $51K.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm all for the mandatory donation but I went back and in 2010 and 2011 I paid $60 (excluding the donation) and in 2012 I paid $75 (again excluding the donation). So this year I'm now stuck with another $10 increase for basically an out and back race. I was especially looking forward to the race this year because I almost podiumed last year and was going to really work hard to get on this year (would be nice to once in my life) but I'm trying to figure out at what point is it time to move on.

There's the saying if you don't like something, don't do it but for those of us who give a damn about where our entry fees are going it would be nice if more people cared and sent a message to Epic Rides. As the Whiskey has proven, this probably isn't going to happen.

mtbr member
    Are you guys looking at the same registration page I am? Prices are before the donation.

Event: Tour of the White Mountains

Category
    50-mile Singletrack Challenge $75
    50-mile Singletrack Challenge on a single speed $75
    30-Mile Singletrack Challenge $75
    30-mile Singletrack Challenge on a single speed $75
    30-mile Forest Road Fun Ride $40
    9-Mile Singletrack Fun Ride $40

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I was looking at the bottom of this page.

Epic Rides : Tour of the White Mountains : Tour of the White Mountains

Fees: 50-Mile, 30-Mile Singletrack Challenge - $95* | 9-Mile Singletrack Fun Ride - $60* | 30-Mile Dirt Road Fun Ride - $60*
    *includes $10 donation to event beneficiaries

So if the prices are the same, I'm still curious about the new course if anyone has info.

mtbr member
    Tour of the White Mountains race changes-all_large.jpg

This was done to maximize singletrack riding, last TOWM was a LOT of jeep road.

Here is the map with all the races.
    Very little OnB on this map.

The slow pokes doing singletrack challenge 35 may have to hurry it up unless they want to face the opposing traffic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    In other words, if 600 people show up, the cancer victims get $6000, and Epic gets $51K.
    Yep, Todd pockets that $51K himself. He's rolling in it.

(Come on, do you think before you type? Do you think it does not take money and resources to put on these events.)

BTW, I heard second hand that Los Burros is being thinned, so that might have something to do with it.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

white mountains
    As has been said, "maximize singletrack riding"- imo, a lot more fun up here. The trails are concentrated in the Pinetop/ Lakeside area, whose towns have a primary sponsorship in the event. There is kind of a rivalry between Show Low and Pinetop. The healthy competition makes for better trails. Difficulty of the trails depends on skill level, but I'm sure you will have a great time no matter what level you are.

Come on up!

mtbr member
    I think I am going to do the 30 mile "fun ride"... but it ain't going to be fun, because I am gonig to treat it like its a race...
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    I think I am going to do the 30 mile "fun ride"... but it ain't going to be fun, because I am gonig to treat it like its a race...
    To a point it will be a race due to you needing to pay to do it. A "fun ride" should just be that a fun ride. Won't be fun if you need to "hurry" it up to not hit traffic when they turn around to head back.
    2013 Trek Rig SS
    2013 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    2014 Trek X-Cal 5
    2014 Trek Slash 7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido39 View Post

There's the saying if you don't like something, don't do it but for those of us who give a damn about where our entry fees are going it would be nice if more people cared and sent a message to Epic Rides. As the Whiskey has proven, this probably isn't going to happen.
    Securing sponsors, free tshirts, transporting everything up to the White Mountains, free tshirts, permits, insurance, free tshirts. Oh, and I'm sure Epic pockets some of this, since they are not doing it for free.

Epic Rides is good for mountaing biking in general, and mt biking in Arizona specifically. I'd gladly pay a little extra to support them.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

banned
    Being forced to changed venues is the reason for the change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    To a point it will be a race due to you needing to pay to do it. A "fun ride" should just be that a fun ride. Won't be fun if you need to "hurry" it up to not hit traffic when they turn around to head back.
    I am almost positive the fun ride and the "challenge" rides do not use the same trails/roads..... There may be a very short stretch where they do, but the vast majority of the fun ride route does not intersect the challenge ride at all...
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    The slow pokes doing singletrack challenge 35 may have to hurry it up unless they want to face the opposing traffic.
    This is what concerns me the most as I will be doing the 30 (formerly the 30 that was really 35). It looks like about 80% of the course is an out and back. That's why I was curious what this part of the course is like. If tight singletrack, oh crap.

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido39 View Post
    This is what concerns me the most as I will be doing the 30 (formerly the 30 that was really 35). It looks like about 80% of the course is an out and back. That's why I was curious what this part of the course is like. If tight singletrack, oh crap.
    The connector is pretty wide...it'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Why not just wait day after, get the gpx and do the FUN ride for free?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    You really need to check out the event details before drawing conclusions. THe "fun ride" is on completely different trails - mostly roads. Check out the maps.
    My guess is that by having the fun ride - organizers will take out most of the slow riders out of the singletrack challenge. That leaves the racing bikers on the connector - and majority of them should stay closer together timewise to clear the connector before the majority goes thru the loop and begins to return.
    Yes, they will be the superfast and superslow that will pass on the single track - but majority should be facing only direction.

Which begs the question? Do I have to haul ass on the 60 miler to get there before major traffic hits the connector ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    You really need to check out the event details before drawing conclusions. THe "fun ride" is on completely different trails - mostly roads. Check out the maps.
    My guess is that by having the fun ride - organizers will take out most of the slow riders out of the singletrack challenge. That leaves the racing bikers on the connector - and majority of them should stay closer together timewise to clear the connector before the majority goes thru the loop and begins to return.
    Yes, they will be the superfast and superslow that will pass on the single track - but majority should be facing only direction.

Which begs the question? Do I have to haul ass on the 60 miler to get there before major traffic hits the connector ?
    Metal you puss...it's a race!!! You "haul ass" no matter what.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpbarrett View Post
    Metal you puss...it's a race!!! You "haul ass" no matter what.
    Badly worded question... what I meant to ask was - How hard do I have to haul ass to get there before major traffic?