Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Tour of the White Mountains

I have a couple of questions:

First is, is anyone interested in this ride? If so, it appears as though the organizers are behind on activating registration for it.

Second, has anyone done this ride? What was their experience? Is it well organized? I checked out results from last year and it appears very well attended. Thanks

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by On the Rocks View Post
    I have a couple of questions:

First is, is anyone interested in this ride? If so, it appears as though the organizers are behind on activating registration for it.

Second, has anyone done this ride? What was their experience? Is it well organized? I checked out results from last year and it appears very well attended. Thanks
    It's an Epic Rides event...same organizer as the just-completed Whiskey Off-Road 25/50 in Prescott. Great event, and great course...better than the Whiskey course, IMO.

My wife and I have done it multiple times, and I highly recommend it. Do the 35, for your first one.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    I think they're going to get Grand Junction squared away before they start dialing in TOWM.

mtbr member
    I think I am going to give this one good look. I loved my Whiskey Experience. Probably do the 35 if I sign up.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I think I am going to give this one good look. I loved my Whiskey Experience. Probably do the 35 if I sign up.
    Not nearly as much killer climbing as the Whiskey, but a demanding course. Get used to molar-rattling embedded rocks...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    I did the 35 miler last year. Very well organized, although the atmosphere is not as conducive to socializing as Prescott is. First of all the set up is in the middle of field as opposed the town square in Prescott. The 35 mile course was probably easier than Prescott 25.

mtbr member
    Whatever you do.....NEVER talk about the weather.
    b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    I did the 35 miler last year. Very well organized, although the atmosphere is not as conducive to socializing as Prescott is. First of all the set up is in the middle of field as opposed the town square in Prescott. The 35 mile course was probably easier than Prescott 25.
    Yeah,
    I probably won't bring the family to that one. Longer driver and less to do when we get there. My wife and daughter were really busy during the Whiskey race with a lot to do. Not so if they are stuck in open field.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc View Post
    Whatever you do.....NEVER talk about the weather.
    Damn straight!!!!!!!

I'll likely do it again this year, but it's night and day from the Whiskey. I like the WoR course 1000% more. Sure, less climbing. But some of those trails are brutal with the embedded rocks. I've never camped, but I hear the camping can be kind of brutal as well since there are very few, flat spots to camp. Pinetop/Show Low is no Prescott.

But all and all, it's a fun race.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ok, I won't ask about the weather. But I have to ask here, why is it an issue? I was going to check average temps, but can expect them to be truly Fall-like, but it is a time of year I avoid because work generally takes that time up. Yes, I am very familiar with the area--the family has a cabin in Greer. And if you ride throughout the Phoenix area embedded rocks are the norm.

As for what to do with your family, there might not be camping near the start line, but there is plenty around Pine Top-Lakeside and out at Greer, which is about a 30-40 minute car trip away. BUT, then, that means you need to bring two cars so that they can come out and meet you after the race. Ah, ok. So there are logistical matters. Sounds like I need to do the Whiskey next year.

How's the party after the Tour of the White Mountains? Hosted by Fat Tire? Where's it held? I like their beer. I mean, I like beer.

Need more cowbell
    Weather is an issue because there are afternoon thunderstorms that crop up that time of year in the White Mountains. The soil there turns to peanut butter when wet = your bike becomes a 50 lb. mess with tires that wont roll. Also, you have NO warning that it will start raining soon...the clouds move in quickly.

All in all, it's a good incentive to pedal faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath View Post
    Weather is an issue because there are afternoon thunderstorms that crop up that time of year in the White Mountains. The soil there turns to peanut butter when wet = your bike becomes a 50 lb. mess with tires that wont roll. Also, you have NO warning that it will start raining soon...the clouds move in quickly.

All in all, it's a good incentive to pedal faster.
    bunny hop when thunder strikes, avoid the ground current

mtbr member
    I've done the 35 mile course three times and it's a lot of fun! The course is great and if you've never ridden up there, it's a great trail system. As others have said, the social aspect is a little muted because it's in the middle of a field and the road in is usually a damn nightmare. I REALLY REALLY REALLY HOPE they get a grader in there this year and fix that damn entrance road. I'm doing the 35 miler this year again and I can't wait. Some of the downhill segments (Ice Caves is one) have some chunkiness but they've cleaned it up and re-routed it quite a bit over the years so it's not as bad. The ONLY part of the course I absolutely hate with a passion is the Blue Ridge segment. As Walt said above, it's just big, chunky embedded volcanic rocks that just demoralize you during the Blue Ridge climb. I shudder just to think about that sufferfest (for me anyway). My favorite part is just watching people hit these rocks and curse up a storm when they get stuck (I'm looking at you CoyoteKis! ).

Go for it man! It always has a really good turnout!

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    The ONLY part of the course I absolutely hate with a passion is the Blue Ridge segment. As Walt said above, it's just big, chunky embedded volcanic rocks that just demoralize you during the Blue Ridge climb. I shudder just to think about that sufferfest (for me anyway).
    I Dislocated my finger on that trail 3 years ago by going over the bars....then broke my chain 1/2 mile later. Yeah...putting a quick link on was fun at that point. I hate Blue Ridge.

mtbr member
    Oh The Rocks- I think to make this race epic, you should open up your cabin in Greer to us pre and post race. We can all carpool to the event, then beer and BBQ at your place- or we could all get a block of rooms at the nearest hotel....
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    10x more fun than the Whiskey. I turn in a faster time on the TOWM as well with the lack of brutal climbing. I'll never ride this course on a hard-tail. You want FS for sure with the amount of rocks.

aka Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    I've done the 35 mile course three times and it's a lot of fun! The course is great and if you've never ridden up there, it's a great trail system. As others have said, the social aspect is a little muted because it's in the middle of a field and the road in is usually a damn nightmare. I REALLY REALLY REALLY HOPE they get a grader in there this year and fix that damn entrance road. I'm doing the 35 miler this year again and I can't wait. Some of the downhill segments (Ice Caves is one) have some chunkiness but they've cleaned it up and re-routed it quite a bit over the years so it's not as bad. The ONLY part of the course I absolutely hate with a passion is the Blue Ridge segment. As Walt said above, it's just big, chunky embedded volcanic rocks that just demoralize you during the Blue Ridge climb. I shudder just to think about that sufferfest (for me anyway). My favorite part is just watching people hit these rocks and curse up a storm when they get stuck (I'm looking at you CoyoteKis! ).

Go for it man! It always has a really good turnout!
    Lol!! Dang!! Put me on blast why don't you!! I'm a mountain biker- I can cuss and spit while riding- it's allowed ;-) ;-)
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

livin' the dream......
    I plan on doing this after skipping this race since 2008! Where does the time go! It is more mellow than the weekend I just had in Prescott, but still fun to camp and relax after the race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis View Post
    Lol!! Dang!! Put me on blast why don't you!! I'm a mountain biker- I can cuss and spit while riding- it's allowed ;-) ;-)
    me thinks... altitude and attitude go hand in hand here

aka Diesel

Less about hand in hand, more about crotch and top tube, when stopped dead by a huge rock.

That and being raised by 4 older brothers. :-)
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

livin' the dream......
    So, this event is on the horizon. Who is in?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    It's a different course and starting point this year. Go to the Epic Rides website and read the updates. The whole course and starting point has changed along with trails and distances.

mtbr member
    I am out this year. Maybe next year.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    All the talk about he WOR vs TOWM, but has any body noticed the TOWM has changed the course to a different location this year, and shortened it? Anybody familiar with this years course, and can you tell how it compares with last years course?

Plus size jersey model
    In. Doing the 30 this year. Course looks easier then previous years. They moved the start from that crappy old lot which in turn changed the course. Epic races are always a blast!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast