Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64
  1. #1
    I am Bob
    Reputation: chongoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,779

    The tough switchbacks on 8A

    Who's made these? If you have you are a bad-ass
    I couldn't figure them out and the crash consequences are a bit high (ask dgangi )
    The photos in no way do these nasty spots justice.

    Edit:Who's made these without using cheater lines that is...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The tough switchbacks on 8A-phxmtns1.jpg  

    The tough switchbacks on 8A-phxmtns2.jpg  

    The tough switchbacks on 8A-phxmtns3.jpg  


  2. #2
    Glutton for punishment
    Reputation: ScottN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    575
    I've only made the 2nd one (lower) and that's going downhill. I just suck it up and walk up them when going uphill. My trialsin' skills are not up to trying the higher one yet.

  3. #3
    I am Bob
    Reputation: chongoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottN
    I've only made the 2nd one (lower) and that's going downhill. I just suck it up and walk up them when going uphill. My trialsin' skills are not up to trying the higher one yet.
    Jeez man nice work!
    I had a good line on the upper switchback, but both my attempts kept drawing me toward that barrell cactus.
    Doug did an excellent move where he balanced on his helmet on the 2nd step. He called it a "soft roll."

  4. #4
    Fragile - must be Italian
    Reputation: dgangi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,309
    Bob - this is actually trail 8B (which drops down to 32/Lincoln).

    Both of those switchbacks are really gnarly...with the top one being the toughest. Both roll down a series of big steps/drops with serious exposure. Going over either switchback would mean a 30' tumble down a slope littered with sharp, skin piercing rocks.

    It was fun trying to make it down this morning, even considering the roll on my head. That was really stupid...and priceless.

    Thx...Doug

  5. #5
    Glutton for punishment
    Reputation: ScottN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    Jeez man nice work!
    I had a good line on the upper switchback, but both my attempts kept drawing me toward that barrell cactus.
    Doug did an excellent move where he balanced on his helmet on the 2nd step. He called it a "soft roll."
    Success was not pretty at all. I nearly OTB'd myself off the side of the mountain before I made it have never tried it again. Maybe it's time!

  6. #6
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,311


    Sheeeeiiit. Do guys try to blow down those or "rock hop" your way down? That looks very nasty and I don't have the skills for either method.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,748
    I cleaned all but the one in the 3rd pic. I see the line for it, but it was raining at the time, and I was alone, so I passed.
    Fun trail though. To be fair, I was in Full Face/Armor and on a 6" travel bike. Rode up 36th just to bomb it because, with the rain, I knew it would be empty.

    Anyways, just gotta commit...

  8. #8
    I am Bob
    Reputation: chongoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    I cleaned all but the one in the 3rd pic. I see the line for it, but it was raining at the time, and I was alone, so I passed.
    Fun trail though. To be fair, I was in Full Face/Armor and on a 6" travel bike. Rode up 36th just to bomb it because, with the rain, I knew it would be empty.

    Anyways, just gotta commit...

    That's ballsy. I'll be back. I really want to clean those. I had plenty of travel and pads, but just couldn't work it out.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    421
    I am impressed with riding a 6" travel bike UP 36th Street. I have never even thought about riding my XC bike up 36th Street.

  10. #10
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,814
    That's a great trail both up and down. I have a bad HABbit, I'm not as tough as you guys, screwups in 8A would be way too costly, and the only thing on my mind is to be riding the day after in good shape. Still, hats off to you guys for riding through those steps, I only do the little faster ones. I don't even have the right bike for riding serious stuff like that, HAB is my best friend there!

  11. #11
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,458
    I've clean them, and I have a GREAT video on Blatant dislocating a finger on the steps ..............Drew

  12. #12
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Cenobite39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,232
    Chunky. Sharp. Intimidating. All words that come to mind when I see those pics and I know from experience that if it looks that bad in photos then it is a lot worse in real life !

  13. #13
    I am Bob
    Reputation: chongoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    I've clean them, and I have a GREAT video on Blatant dislocating a finger on the steps ..............Drew
    Post the vid here please!

  14. #14
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    Post the vid here please!

    Holding on to the video for blackmail on Blatant. If he gives the thumbs up I'll post ................Drew

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,748
    Quote Originally Posted by bweide
    I am impressed with riding a 6" travel bike UP 36th Street. I have never even thought about riding my XC bike up 36th Street.
    Its not that bad.
    azdog and I were riding our DH bikes up 36th to get ready for Moab at one point.

  16. #16
    Got a suspension fork
    Reputation: randyharris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Bob - this is actually trail 8B (which drops down to 32/Lincoln).

    Both of those switchbacks are really gnarly...with the top one being the toughest. Both roll down a series of big steps/drops with serious exposure. Going over either switchback would mean a 30' tumble down a slope littered with sharp, skin piercing rocks.

    It was fun trying to make it down this morning, even considering the roll on my head. That was really stupid...and priceless.

    Thx...Doug
    Haha I was looking at those pix thinking that I don't recall that on 8A... Yeah I know that now over on the 32nd St side, bad ass stuff is right, high penalty for failure.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

  17. #17
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,603
    Yep, both Drew and I have cleaned that entire section from the top of the saddle. I went back to hit that last section again and, well ...



    A month-long vacation from riding.

  18. #18
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,565
    I'm no doctor but something seems a bit "off" there
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

  19. #19
    Fragile - must be Italian
    Reputation: dgangi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    I've clean them, and I have a GREAT video on Blatant dislocating a finger on the steps ..............Drew
    So what's the line on each? Neither of us could figure out anything within reason.

    The top switchback is a really sharp turn with continuous 2' step-downs -- no apparent place to put your wheel and still keep your momentum. There is a cheater line that bypasses most of the switchback, but I assume you didn't take that -- if you did, it doesn't count.

    The second switchback appears much easier...but still, the approach is rugged and there is a barrell cactus growing right where I wanted to put my wheel. Without that cactus, I could see it...but with it, I couldn't.

    Thx...Doug

  20. #20
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,458
    Truth be told I have no clue what "the line" is. I believe on the top you think you need to swing it wide to the left but I hugged the right, due to loose rocks to the left. The lower section I hit straight on and was WAY behind the seat. I'll post up the pinky video today ............Drew

  21. #21
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Reputation: azdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Its not that bad.
    azdog and I were riding our DH bikes up 36th to get ready for Moab at one point.
    Yep that hill is great training. It was the closest entrance from my parents house. I'm hoping to hit 8b once the foot heals up. 5 weeks to go!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

  22. #22
    SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Reputation: longhairmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,253
    ouch

  23. #23
    Fragile - must be Italian
    Reputation: dgangi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    Truth be told I have no clue what "the line" is. I believe on the top you think you need to swing it wide to the left but I hugged the right, due to loose rocks to the left. The lower section I hit straight on and was WAY behind the seat. I'll post up the pinky video today ............Drew
    Drew -- where's the video? Fans are waiting...

    Thx...Doug

  24. #24
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,458
    I wanted to do some music to it and dress it up a bit. Right now the raw footage is lame, like the rider ..............Drew

  25. #25
    Tucson, AZ
    Reputation: azepicriderandrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,971
    Looks yummy, not sure how steep it is (based on the picture) but looks good for my 20x36 gearing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •