mtbr member

The tough switchbacks on 8A

Who's made these? If you have you are a bad-ass
    I couldn't figure them out and the crash consequences are a bit high (ask dgangi )
    The photos in no way do these nasty spots justice.

Edit:Who's made these without using cheater lines that is...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The tough switchbacks on 8A-phxmtns1.jpg  

The tough switchbacks on 8A-phxmtns2.jpg  

The tough switchbacks on 8A-phxmtns3.jpg  

Glutton for punishment
    I've only made the 2nd one (lower) and that's going downhill. I just suck it up and walk up them when going uphill. My trialsin' skills are not up to trying the higher one yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottN
    I've only made the 2nd one (lower) and that's going downhill. I just suck it up and walk up them when going uphill. My trialsin' skills are not up to trying the higher one yet.
    Jeez man nice work!
    I had a good line on the upper switchback, but both my attempts kept drawing me toward that barrell cactus.
    Doug did an excellent move where he balanced on his helmet on the 2nd step. He called it a "soft roll."

Fragile - must be Italian
    Bob - this is actually trail 8B (which drops down to 32/Lincoln).

Both of those switchbacks are really gnarly...with the top one being the toughest. Both roll down a series of big steps/drops with serious exposure. Going over either switchback would mean a 30' tumble down a slope littered with sharp, skin piercing rocks.

It was fun trying to make it down this morning, even considering the roll on my head. That was really stupid...and priceless.

Thx...Doug

Glutton for punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    Jeez man nice work!
    I had a good line on the upper switchback, but both my attempts kept drawing me toward that barrell cactus.
    Doug did an excellent move where he balanced on his helmet on the 2nd step. He called it a "soft roll."
    Success was not pretty at all. I nearly OTB'd myself off the side of the mountain before I made it have never tried it again. Maybe it's time!

No Clue Crew

Sheeeeiiit. Do guys try to blow down those or "rock hop" your way down? That looks very nasty and I don't have the skills for either method.

mtbr member
    I cleaned all but the one in the 3rd pic. I see the line for it, but it was raining at the time, and I was alone, so I passed.
    Fun trail though. To be fair, I was in Full Face/Armor and on a 6" travel bike. Rode up 36th just to bomb it because, with the rain, I knew it would be empty.

Anyways, just gotta commit...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    I cleaned all but the one in the 3rd pic. I see the line for it, but it was raining at the time, and I was alone, so I passed.
    Fun trail though. To be fair, I was in Full Face/Armor and on a 6" travel bike. Rode up 36th just to bomb it because, with the rain, I knew it would be empty.

Anyways, just gotta commit...

That's ballsy. I'll be back. I really want to clean those. I had plenty of travel and pads, but just couldn't work it out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I am impressed with riding a 6" travel bike UP 36th Street. I have never even thought about riding my XC bike up 36th Street.

Give it a crank
    That's a great trail both up and down. I have a bad HABbit, I'm not as tough as you guys, screwups in 8A would be way too costly, and the only thing on my mind is to be riding the day after in good shape. Still, hats off to you guys for riding through those steps, I only do the little faster ones. I don't even have the right bike for riding serious stuff like that, HAB is my best friend there!

"No Clue Crew"
    I've clean them, and I have a GREAT video on Blatant dislocating a finger on the steps ..............Drew

"No Clue Crew"
    Chunky. Sharp. Intimidating. All words that come to mind when I see those pics and I know from experience that if it looks that bad in photos then it is a lot worse in real life !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    I've clean them, and I have a GREAT video on Blatant dislocating a finger on the steps ..............Drew
    Post the vid here please!

"No Clue Crew"
    Post the vid here please!

Holding on to the video for blackmail on Blatant. If he gives the thumbs up I'll post ................Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bweide
    I am impressed with riding a 6" travel bike UP 36th Street. I have never even thought about riding my XC bike up 36th Street.
    Its not that bad.
    azdog and I were riding our DH bikes up 36th to get ready for Moab at one point.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Bob - this is actually trail 8B (which drops down to 32/Lincoln).

Both of those switchbacks are really gnarly...with the top one being the toughest. Both roll down a series of big steps/drops with serious exposure. Going over either switchback would mean a 30' tumble down a slope littered with sharp, skin piercing rocks.

It was fun trying to make it down this morning, even considering the roll on my head. That was really stupid...and priceless.

Thx...Doug
    Haha I was looking at those pix thinking that I don't recall that on 8A... Yeah I know that now over on the 32nd St side, bad ass stuff is right, high penalty for failure.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yep, both Drew and I have cleaned that entire section from the top of the saddle. I went back to hit that last section again and, well ...

A month-long vacation from riding.

Pivotal figure
    I'm no doctor but something seems a bit "off" there
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

So what's the line on each? Neither of us could figure out anything within reason.

The top switchback is a really sharp turn with continuous 2' step-downs -- no apparent place to put your wheel and still keep your momentum. There is a cheater line that bypasses most of the switchback, but I assume you didn't take that -- if you did, it doesn't count.

The second switchback appears much easier...but still, the approach is rugged and there is a barrell cactus growing right where I wanted to put my wheel. Without that cactus, I could see it...but with it, I couldn't.

Thx...Doug

"No Clue Crew"
    Truth be told I have no clue what "the line" is. I believe on the top you think you need to swing it wide to the left but I hugged the right, due to loose rocks to the left. The lower section I hit straight on and was WAY behind the seat. I'll post up the pinky video today ............Drew

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Its not that bad.
    azdog and I were riding our DH bikes up 36th to get ready for Moab at one point.
    Yep that hill is great training. It was the closest entrance from my parents house. I'm hoping to hit 8b once the foot heals up. 5 weeks to go!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    ouch

Truth be told I have no clue what "the line" is. I believe on the top you think you need to swing it wide to the left but I hugged the right, due to loose rocks to the left. The lower section I hit straight on and was WAY behind the seat. I'll post up the pinky video today ............Drew
    Drew -- where's the video? Fans are waiting...

Thx...Doug

"No Clue Crew"
    I wanted to do some music to it and dress it up a bit. Right now the raw footage is lame, like the rider ..............Drew

Tucson, AZ
    Looks yummy, not sure how steep it is (based on the picture) but looks good for my 20x36 gearing.

Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Looks yummy, not sure how steep it is (based on the picture) but looks good for my 20x36 gearing.
    Chad - the lower 2/3 of that trail would be fine on your SS. But the upper 1/3 of that trail is granny gear steep with lots of HAB rock sections.

Going down that trail on a hardtail would be downright scary.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Chad - the lower 2/3 of that trail would be fine on your SS. But the upper 1/3 of that trail is granny gear steep with lots of HAB rock sections.

Going down that trail on a hardtail would be downright scary.

Thx...Doug
    Well that sounds like a challenge to me. We'll have to throw it into your kitchen sink ride.

Well that sounds like a challenge to me. We'll have to throw it into your kitchen sink ride.
    That's sadistic. I like it.

Seriously, if we make my Kitchen Sink ride any more gnarly, we'll want to reserve an ambulance to be on stand-by at certain parts of the route.

But what the hell. The route already has 3 nasty descents (Shaw Butte, Cheesegrater, and Hairball). What's the harm in another one?

I'll have to think about it...

Thx...Doug

slower than you
    i ride those every time i visit my family in phoenix. never cleaned them going up. mostly cleaned them going down (a toe or two perhaps). love that trail. scary.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

Got a suspension fork
    That's sadistic. I like it.

Seriously, if we make my Kitchen Sink ride any more gnarly, we'll want to reserve an ambulance to be on stand-by at certain parts of the route.

But what the hell. The route already has 3 nasty descents (Shaw Butte, Cheesegrater, and Hairball). What's the harm in another one?

I'll have to think about it...

Thx...Doug
    Doug Is that 306 coming to the south from the saddle between the two peaks at Shaw? that is gnarly? It doesn't look bad from up top but I've never taken it down either hiking or bike.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    Doug Is that 306 coming to the south from the saddle between the two peaks at Shaw? that is gnarly? It doesn't look bad from up top but I've never taken it down either hiking or bike.
    306 drops down the west/south side of Shaw...not sure about your reference of a saddle though.

It's plenty gnarly. The top section is mostly a steep, loose road...and then the lower section starts off with some tough chunky switchbacks followed by a long, steep, loose chute that has plenty of bone breaking potential.

Try walking it sometime and you'll gain a better perspective. Or just try and ride it and see what you think.

Thx...Doug

No Clue Crew
    Looking at the map is 306 the actual trail (semi-paved, mostly-destroyed fire road) that goes up Shaw Butte to the radio towers? I've seen it on the map and contemplated adding it to my normal 7th Ave -> Cave Creek ride but haven't checked it out 'cause I know that HIKE up to the towers isn't really a bike trail. Never seen a bike on it. If 306 is a completely different trail from the fire road I'll have to give it a visit next time...

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Yep, both Drew and I have cleaned that entire section from the top of the saddle. I went back to hit that last section again and, well ...

A month-long vacation from riding.
    OWWW ! That's a rough ride back to the truck !

Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Looking at the map is 306 the actual trail (semi-paved, mostly-destroyed fire road) that goes up Shaw Butte to the radio towers? I've seen it on the map and contemplated adding it to my normal 7th Ave -> Cave Creek ride but haven't checked it out 'cause I know that HIKE up to the towers isn't really a bike trail. Never seen a bike on it. If 306 is a completely different trail from the fire road I'll have to give it a visit next time...
    You are correct - 306 is the *****ty road (if you want to call it that) that goes up the North/East side of Shaw Butte.

However, 306 then continues *around* and *down* the South/West side of Shaw Butte. This is where things get ugly...quick.

You should try riding up the road to the towers. I do it all the time. It makes for good training. Coming down is a hoot if there aren't many hikers around...and if there are, you just kick them out of the way.

Thx...Doug

No Clue Crew
    You are correct - 306 is the *****ty road (if you want to call it that) that goes up the North/East side of Shaw Butte.

However, 306 then continues *around* and *down* the South/West side of Shaw Butte. This is where things get ugly...quick.

You should try riding up the road to the towers. I do it all the time. It makes for good training. Coming down is a hoot if there aren't many hikers around...and if there are, you just kick them out of the way.
    I know it's a pretty good grade in sections for hiking. Thought it would be tough on a bike but I may have to try it now...

mtbr member
    Mike, check out randyharris's TT for cllimbing Shaw butte, there's a link in his signature.

mtbr member
    I know it's a pretty good grade in sections for hiking. Thought it would be tough on a bike but I may have to try it now...
    Probably not as tough as it used to be. I know the bottom section has been pretty cleaned up, so all the loose **** is gone now.

I've only done it once or twice. Great workout, especially if you're working on you climbing skills. But do be careful of the hikers. It's a popular hiking spot, and not really idea for mt bikers.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39
    OWWW ! That's a rough ride back to the truck !
    Drew kept asking if I was going to pass out. What's worse, we'd parked all the way over at 40th and Shea, so riding back was a chore.

Hey, sorry I missed you guys this morning. Ended up sleeping in. Hope you had a great ride.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Great workout, especially if you're working on you climbing skills. But do be careful of the hikers. It's a popular hiking spot, and not really idea for mt bikers.
    Yeah, that's what I thought when I've hiked it. That's why I never thought about checking to see what 306 was... Soon...

mtbr member
    I wanted to do some music to it and dress it up a bit. Right now the raw footage is lame, like the rider ..............Drew
    Any video yet?

"No Clue Crew"
    AAARRRRRRGGGHHHHH....One sec!!!

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    Any video yet?

You're a pain!!!

from Drew Hutchinson on Vimeo.

PMP.....OUCH!!!

mtbr member
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Somehow I expected that to be a tad bit awesomer.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yep, wasn't much of a crash. Sorry it wasn't more entertaining.

mtbr member
    Why is it always the stupid, light falls that hurt the worst? I don't know how many times I've gone OTB or worse and walked away unscathed, but the smallest, slowest falls are the ones that get you. strange...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bazooka_beard
    Why is it always the stupid, light falls that hurt the worst? I don't know how many times I've gone OTB or worse and walked away unscathed, but the smallest, slowest falls are the ones that get you. strange...
    The worst fall I had was going more more than 2 miles an hour over wet concrete. Rear tire slid out from under me, I landed on my ass, had a black bruise the size of a basketball on my right cheek for about 2 months, could not sit on that cheek for maybe 4 months, and to this day, 8 years later, have a dimple the size of a softball on my ass.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    The worst fall I had was going more more than 2 miles an hour over wet concrete. Rear tire slid out from under me, I landed on my ass, had a black bruise the size of a basketball on my right cheek for about 2 months, could not sit on that cheek for maybe 4 months, and to this day, 8 years later, have a dimple the size of a softball on my ass.
    I SOOooo want to say "pics or it didn't happen" but (or butt if you prefer)

1) I do not want to come across as too familiar
    and
    2) I am somewhat concerned you might show us pics

So, I will reulctantly restrain.

With the exception of a few very hig hspeed get-offs road racing, my most damage has been inflicted by the smallest falls. I am wondering if it has something to do with the impact at an angle, sliding and tumbling releasing the greater stored energy gradually, versus simply going plunk and coming to a dead stop instantaneously releasing the lesser energy instantaneously.
    "This is my favorite section...watch your step..."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler
    I SOOooo want to say "pics or it didn't happen" but (or butt if you prefer)

1) I do not want to come across as too familiar
    and
    2) I am somewhat concerned you might show us pics

So, I will reulctantly restrain.

With the exception of a few very hig hspeed get-offs road racing, my most damage has been inflicted by the smallest falls. I am wondering if it has something to do with the impact at an angle, sliding and tumbling releasing the greater stored energy gradually, versus simply going plunk and coming to a dead stop instantaneously releasing the lesser energy instantaneously.
    Now why would I lie about that?

Probably my second worst (or at least the second most entertaining) crash was out at P and D. Was riding up a steep, loose climb, ended up falling backwards and sat on a cholla. SO wanted to take them out carefully, one by one. I told her to just yank the shorts off. Now I know what velcro feels like...

Give it a crank
    I am wondering if it has something to do with the impact at an angle, sliding and tumbling releasing the greater stored energy gradually, versus simply going plunk and coming to a dead stop instantaneously releasing the lesser energy instantaneously.
    It's because at slow speeds your crash response instincts don't kick in. If it looks like it's going to be a small crash, you end up doing little to protect body parts. In a faster crash you cover your face, roll up, try to slide to a stop, etc. You simply don't react the same way at slow speeds, resulting in less protection and more possible damage. At least I think so.

Now if that is at all true, that would mean you'd need pads when riding slow more than when riding fast?! Something's wrong with that, back to whatever the topic was.

mtbr member
    I think it has something to do with life telling us to quit being a pansy and go faster.

"No Clue Crew"
    I knew it would be a bit of a let down. I guess I could of dressed it up while editing it.....Oh well.....Drew

mtbr member

Got the second one.

I still can't imagine getting the first one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider
    It's because at slow speeds your crash response instincts don't kick in. If it looks like it's going to be a small crash, you end up doing little to protect body parts. In a faster crash you cover your face, roll up, try to slide to a stop, etc. You simply don't react the same way at slow speeds, resulting in less protection and more possible damage. At least I think so.

Now if that is at all true, that would mean you'd need pads when riding slow more than when riding fast?! Something's wrong with that, back to whatever the topic was.
    I can only speak for myself -- I find it is all about time. When time permits, regardless of speed, crash instincts and tactics come into play. It is when it happens too fast to take effective defensive action where I find it hurts the most. My worst and most painful MTB crashes have been at low speed when they have happened quickly.

I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say that motorcycle racing and riding for many years starting in 1971 or thereabouts, has ingrained the crash response instinct.

Nice - when did you ride over there again? Was it on one of Dale's rides?

Thx...Doug

No Clue Crew
    Where's that video hiding? Don't think I've seen it...

mtbr member
    Nice - when did you ride over there again? Was it on one of Dale's rides?

Thx...Doug
    Yes. Dale led one of his goofy, super fun PMP routes yesterday.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Where's that video hiding? Don't think I've seen it...
    Cleverly hidden in post #42, linkage here.

mtbr member
    Yes. Dale led one of his goofy, super fun PMP routes yesterday.
    And it was a blast . Good riding with ya chongo! Yes the 1st 1 takes some balls and the 2nd is doable. Will get back up there soon and take a closer look at the 1st 1. Hows that bike smelling chongo.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    And it was a blast . Good riding with ya chongo! Yes the 1st 1 takes some balls and the 2nd is doable. Will get back up there soon and take a closer look at the 1st 1. Hows that bike smelling chongo.
    Thanks man.
    My bike smells like crap still. If I ever find the dog that laid that #2 I'm going to freshen its water bowl after a late night taquerria session.

"No Clue Crew"
    Thanks man.
    My bike smells like crap still. If I ever find the dog that laid that #2 I'm going to freshen its water bowl after a late night taquerria session.
    LOL, Blatant ran over a large pile of **** on Thursday Let's go people, bag it!!!!!!!!

No Clue Crew
    Cleverly hidden in post #42, linkage here.
    That's not the video I was asking about. See chongoman's post with the picture of the rider coming down stopped at 58 seconds. That's not the video where Blatant broke his finger. Or it's a different angle we haven't seen.

mtbr member
    That's not the video I was asking about. See chongoman's post with the picture of the rider coming down stopped at 58 seconds. That's not the video where Blatant broke his finger. Or it's a different angle we haven't seen.
    I'm not sure the owner wants it shared on here. sorry for being a tease with the screen shot.

No Clue Crew
    I'm not sure the owner wants it shared on here. sorry for being a tease with the screen shot.
    He must've really eaten sheet to not want it posted... That's the only reason I could think of...

Members who have read this thread: 0