Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

tough decisions...

My bike was stolen a few Weeks ago. My homeowners insurance covered it, and gave me $900 for it (after my $1000 deductible). So now I have a choice to make. Do I a) buy anew complete bike with my $900, or, b) build up an old rockhopper frame I have lying around, or c) buy a friend's cannondale rush for $650?
    I know $900 wont get me the same caliber of bike that I lost, but thats all I have to spend, so I gotta be creative!
    What would you guys (or gals) do?
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

skilldest©
    What I would think about is fast-forward a few months...which decision are you the most happy with? Also, have you thought about option d) save up for what you really want? Actually....what do you really want -- that is probably where you should start with then figure out how to get it. Hum...tough one though. Good luck.

Meatbomb
    Hookers and blow !

mtbr member
    I just spent a few weeks shopping really hard for a buddy on a tight budget and was able to score him a sweet, almost new bike with a great build for just about $1200. At $900 you are not far off from finding a really sweet ride if you are patient and shop a lot. The main advice I have is to be ready to jump when you do spot the deal that makes sense.

Building a bike Is the way to go though if you know just what you want. Not the most cost effective maybe, but always very fulfilling.
    Check my pulse...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I do not understand why you would give your insurance company $1000 for them to give you $900. If you would of put your deductible $ toward your bike, you would have $100 more to spend on the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle View Post
    I do not understand why you would give your insurance company $1000 for them to give you $900. If you would of put your deductible $ toward your bike, you would have $100 more to spend on the bike.
    I was thinking the same thing....
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing....
    I think OP is saying his insurance company valued his bike at 1900$, so he ended up with 900$ after the 1000$ deductible amount.
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Uh. I think you have to "pay" most deductibles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post
    I think OP is saying his insurance company valued his bike at 1900$, so he ended up with 900$ after the 1000$ deductible amount.
    ^Now that makes sense.^
    I still think it would be better to skip paying 1000 to get 900 for a 1900 bike. Just use the 1000. I don't know, maybe other things were stolen too, and that made filing a claim worth it for the OP.

mtbr member
    Bazooka_beard-
    Have you thought about doing like some others have done and get a new credit card with some type of 0% for 12 months type of deal? Between that and shops clearing out 2012 models you should be able to get something good and not make it hurt too much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Three08 View Post
    Uh. I think you have to "pay" most deductibles.
    He did pay it, in the form of $1000 of the $1900 the insurance company listed as the bikes value. So they mailed him a check for the balance of $900.

Premiums are out of pocket, deductibles are "deductible", therefore they are "deducted" from the insured value of said property. Higher premiums buy lower deductibles..

OP, I happen to have some links to a variety of nice bike deals I turned up recently that could still be available. If you want, PM me and I will send them to you.
    Check my pulse...

mtbr member
    You are correct. The insurance company valued my bike at $1900, and took the deductible out of that, leaving me with $900. I didn't really want to file a claim, but my wife and I just bought our first house this month, so I'm basically broke! The $900 is essentially the only bike money I have at the moment.

I have also thought about the credit card thing, but having just bought a house, I didn't really want to open that can of worms...

I also thought about finding a shop that will let me do some sort of layaway plan, where I would throw the $900 at it, and whittle it down from there. Then it's just a matter of choosing which bike.

The stolen bike was a Giant Yukon FX, nothing fancy, but I had upgraded and put pretty decent components on it, which is actually what bumped the value up that much. (didn't know you could claim each individual part until the ins. guy told me to.)

I am looking for something at least comparable to what I had, but I'm open to anything, really. Full suspension, hardtail, 29, 26, 650b, whatever will get me back out there riding. I'd even be open to a used bike if it was in good shape.
    I have a Cannondale F8 frame and a rockhopper frame collecting dust, but a new bike is always more fun!
    Thanks for all the advice! Keep it coming!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5bravobravo View Post
    He did pay it, in the form of $1000 of the $1900 the insurance company listed as the bikes value. So they mailed him a check for the balance of $900. .
    Exactly. The only reason why anybody would have to pay a deductible is because there is a 3rd party. A body shop repairing your car would receive a check for the amount less your deductible which would be your responsibility to pay to the body shop. If your property becomes a total loss the insurance company sends a check for the "fair market value" less your deductible.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    IMO I would start hitting LBS and looking for a closeout deal on a 29er HT.
    Just as a reference:
    Best Mountain Bikes Under $1,000 - Updated For 2012 - BikeRadar

What part of the valley are you in?

mtbr member
    I have a similar problem as my bike was stolen in May. I was going to buy one of the Anthem 29er X4 but the 2012 versions all sold out. Then, another bike store owner told me to just save up my money and buy a Specizlied Epic Comp because they are the best cross country bikes out there.

mtbr member
    You can find a killer HT for $900, no doubt. go used, be patient, prosper,,,
    Check my pulse...

mtbr member
    Thanks guys! I think that I will try to find a HT 29, since that seems to be in my price range. Or, I'll just try to scratch up some extra cash for a little while and save for a FS 26er. I'm still fighting the 26 vs 29 battle in my heart, as I've always been partial to 26. (Not trying to open that debate here, mind you)
    Smark, that list actually helped quite a bit and gave me some new ideas!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Hookers and blow !
    Yessssss. Cocaine on some titties!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm getting ready to sell my 2011 XL Scott Scale Elite. I ride my road bike 95% of the time, so not too many miles on it. Had the thing for about 14 months. Haven't thought about price. Paid $1500, so would sell it for under $1000. I have sun ringle chargers on it, but want to keep them...i.e. the original wheels have very few miles on them. Let me know if interested. Wife wants it gone, since I just bought a FS 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nephro View Post
    I'm getting ready to sell my 2011 XL Scott Scale Elite. I ride my road bike 95% of the time, so not too many miles on it. Had the thing for about 14 months. Haven't thought about price. Paid $1500, so would sell it for under $1000. I have sun ringle chargers on it, but want to keep them...i.e. the original wheels have very few miles on them. Let me know if interested. Wife wants it gone, since I just bought a FS 29er.
    Man, I really appreciate the heads up! I think the XL frame might be a touch bigger than what I'm looking for. I'm right at the 6'- 6'1" mark, but I usually like to go with a L or even a M so I can manhandle it easier. Let me look around for a few days, and I might hit you up to take a test ride on it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 6'2" and put a shorter stem on it, as I was having a hard time getting used to the mtn bike geometry and repeated steep climbs with the terrain, etc (my 1st mtn bike and I'm a roadie). If you are interested down the road, you surely would need to ride it a bit to make sure it fits before buying. Don't want to make a quick decision that you'll regret later.

mtbr member
    Giant Trance X3 2009
    Worth taking a look, it's a medium though.
    Since your coming from a Yukon, you know Giant well. I rode a 09 trance X3 for 2 years, and it kicks ass!

mtbr member
    Thanks for keeping a look out! The money doesn't deposit into my account until early next week, but if it's still there (I doubt it will be), I might snatch it up!

mtbr member
    Grown men don't know how insurance works.....

Yer mothers must be proud.

I'd just get a 0% for 18 months credit card and pay it off $100-200 a month at a time. You ride now, and it's free money.

mtbr member
    Insurance worked for me, that's all I know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast