Thread: Tough Climb

How much further ???

New question here. Tough Climb

Can anyone clean the climb from the City of Mesa: Hawes Loop Trail sign at the top of Hawes Rd in Las Sendas, heading north up to where it meets the microwave tower trail? Holy crap that climb is brutal for me. I was out there last night giving it a shot and had to HAB three times. Anyone actually ride that entire climb?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

dirt visionary
    Doubt it. Haven't seen anyone bragging about it in the last 4years. Many have tried myself included
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1
    Can anyone clean the climb from the City of Mesa: Hawes Loop Trail sign at the top of Hawes Rd in Las Sendas, heading north up to where it meets the microwave tower trail? Holy crap that climb is brutal for me. I was out there last night giving it a shot and had to HAB three times. Anyone actually ride that entire climb?
    I've managed to get from the trailhead up to the point where the trail to the tower splits off of Hawes (I usually mess up that steep little section near the houses). I never tried that last section up to the tower though, what's it like?

Not likely to stand a chance now though, I got off the bike too long over the summer.
    Check my pulse...

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by 5bravobravo
    I've managed to get from the trailhead up to the point where the trail to the tower splits off of Hawes (I usually mess up that steep little section near the houses). I never tried that last section up to the tower though, what's it like?

Not likely to stand a chance now though, I got off the bike too long over the summer.
    Im only talking about the Hawes Loop Trail shown in yellow on the right side of this map. Its only 1mi but brutal. If you can make that section that is super impressive.

http://www.globalbikesbikeshop.com/C..._HAWES_MAP.pdf
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I'm going out to take a shot at it this weekend. I'll suffer for sure, as I haven't ridden that section of trail since last spring. At that time I could get up that section with intermittent cleanliness near where those tanks are shown on the map, there are some tricky short steep climbs right in that area. After that though, it's not so bad..I certainly don't set any speed records up that trail. Might have a coronary though. So how is that last section up to the tower? I never tried it, just pondered it as I rode by gasping for air.

I've been meaning to get to that tower from the other side to put together a loop that would be something like: Canal entrance at power (Pig trail) to Saguaro, Twisted Sister to Wild Horse, Wild horse to NRA pit, asphalt to tower road, up to the tower, over to Hawes, and back down to the canal at power. I think that will be a pretty long ride, probably try it when it cools a down a bit.
    Check my pulse...

dirt visionary
    Bravo that ride has been done lots of times. Do a search for hawes and towers. Last time I went up that way it was steep,loose and off camber . Didn't have the best of luck pedaling up it but that was 2-3 years back .

My favorite loop is doing hawes out to pass mt around pass mt and back via wildhorse a good long day in the pedals lots of climbing and around 30miles

mtbr member

That is a long brutal ride!

Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    Bravo that ride has been done lots of times. Do a search for hawes and towers. Last time I went up that way it was steep,loose and off camber . Didn't have the best of luck pedaling up it but that was 2-3 years back .

My favorite loop is doing hawes out to pass mt around pass mt and back via wildhorse a good long day in the pedals lots of climbing and around 30miles
    I like to ride pass mountain from the Crismon/McKellips entrance at Usery and go counter clockwise. Pass Mountain beats my ass right up..I've been wanting to do it at night, but a little nervous, and certainly not willing to go it alone in the dark..This winter I'll take a stab at the epic version starting from walgreens and out around pass mountain. I'm busting ass now to get back in shape for it now though, it was a rough summer, too much time off the bike and away from the gym...and I'm at that age where I have to work twice as hard to be in half as good condition as I used to!
    Check my pulse...

dirt visionary
    Have you gone clockwise? IMO a little better balanced ride. I can't imagine making it up the saddle going counter clockwise tried once a long time back but it was all baby heads all the way up until the bit of single track before the saddle .

My other ride is your mom
    Clockwise is WAY better...

mtbr member
    Yeah, done it both way many times. I think it's more fun going CCW. It's brutal getting up to that saddle for sure, and I HAB that last couple hundred yards but once you reach that point, the ride is a fast and fun all the way back to that staging area. Riding CW I can clean a lot more trail, but going down from that saddle is a frightening hairball of a ride to me...I have cleaned the whole thing except that one giant drop with the cliff on the outside of the RH turn..Not sure I would even call it a switchback, but it is one hell of a scary section there...I'll ride it either direction, I just prefer CCW...I figure the odds of getting seriously hurt go up significantly each time I go down that trail.

One thing for certain is the cactus out there is freakin' evil and blood thirsty. Had my worst cactus encounter ever on that trail when I crashed against a saguaro with a cholla at its base...man, it was like a scene from a horror movie (at least from my perspective, onlookers thought it was pretty comical I guess)..
    Check my pulse...

How much further ???
    Yeah, done it both way many times. I think it's more fun going CCW. It's brutal getting up to that saddle for sure, and I HAB that last couple hundred yards but once you reach that point, the ride is a fast and fun all the way back to that staging area. Riding CW I can clean a lot more trail, but going down from that saddle is a frightening hairball of a ride to me...I have cleaned the whole thing except that one giant drop with the cliff on the outside of the RH turn..Not sure I would even call it a switchback, but it is one hell of a scary section there...I'll ride it either direction, I just prefer CCW...I figure the odds of getting seriously hurt go up significantly each time I go down that trail.

One thing for certain is the cactus out there is freakin' evil and blood thirsty. Had my worst cactus encounter ever on that trail when I crashed against a saguaro with a cholla at its base...man, it was like a scene from a horror movie (at least from my perspective, onlookers thought it was pretty comical I guess)..
    Ive riden CW from the horse staging area up to the saddle then turn around and ride it back. Best of both worlds.

How much further ???
    On a side note: Ive actually riden the steep white slickrock section below the saddle on Pass Mt without issue. How does this section compare to the waterfall at SoMo?

mtbr member
    Ive riden CW from the horse staging area up to the saddle then turn around and ride it back. Best of both worlds.
    That's a good idea, I always have this little voice telling me I must ride a loop, but I'm finally realizing that out and back can be just as good since the terrain can vary so much just by the direction you ride it.

I've never mastered the waterfall at SoMo (shame), it is far more intimidating to me than coming down from the saddle on pass mtn..I haven't taken the time to session it either. I tend to spend a lot more time riding east valley trails since I live out that way.

What freaks me out most about coming down that steep side of pass mountain is the speed...going dirt bike speeds through rock gardens with minimal protective wear (I'm bad about not wearing all the pads I have).

Actually, How is the pass mtn trail condition right now? I imagine all the recent rains churned things up quite a bit. Man I gotta get out there soon...
    Check my pulse...

How much further ???
    That's a good idea, I always have this little voice telling me I must ride a loop, but I'm finally realizing that out and back can be just as good since the terrain can vary so much just by the direction you ride it.

I've never mastered the waterfall at SoMo (shame), it is far more intimidating to me than coming down from the saddle on pass mtn..I haven't taken the time to session it either. I tend to spend a lot more time riding east valley trails since I live out that way.

What freaks me out most about coming down that steep side of pass mountain is the speed...going dirt bike speeds through rock gardens with minimal protective wear (I'm bad about not wearing all the pads I have).

Actually, How is the pass mtn trail condition right now? I imagine all the recent rains churned things up quite a bit. Man I gotta get out there soon...
    I actually havent been out to Pass Mt in a few months. Been doing a lot of night riding at Hawes to avoid the heat. Yeah Im not a huge fan of the south east side of Pass Mt below the saddle. I have no idea how you could ride that at dirt bike speeds. While it is fun on one level I just dont get much out of bashing myself and my gear on countless baby heads. Just isnt as fun to me.

mtbr member

somewhat exagerated I guess...

I actually havent been out to Pass Mt in a few months. Been doing a lot of night riding at Hawes to avoid the heat. Yeah Im not a huge fan of the south east side of Pass Mt below the saddle. I have no idea how you could ride that at dirt bike speeds. While it is fun on one level I just dont get much out of bashing myself and my gear on countless baby heads. Just isnt as fun to me.
    True, I'm probably not going as fast as it feels, but I definitely get moving along fast enough that I know a simple mistake is likely end up really ugly...Unfortunately, it's that adrenaline that makes me do it!

I'll keep an eye out for you, I night ride out there a few times a week, but my schedule is a little sporadic, never know when I can clear work, so I tote my bike with me and hit what I can, when and where I can.

What are you riding? I'm on a grey RMB slayer with a CR500 motor on it. I've been staging at Walgreens between 6 and 7:30 lately. Shooting for tonight, but tentative with some afternoon meeting nonsense to contend with...I may end up at SoMo if it runs too late on me.
    Check my pulse...

How much further ???
    True, I'm probably not going as fast as it feels, but I definitely get moving along fast enough that I know a simple mistake is likely end up really ugly...Unfortunately, it's that adrenaline that makes me do it!

I'll keep an eye out for you, I night ride out there a few times a week, but my schedule is a little sporadic, never know when I can clear work, so I tote my bike with me and hit what I can, when and where I can.

What are you riding? I'm on a grey RMB slayer with a CR500 motor on it. I've been staging at Walgreens between 6 and 7:30 lately. Shooting for tonight, but tentative with some afternoon meeting nonsense to contend with...I may end up at SoMo if it runs too late on me.
    Im usually at the Walgreens between 7:30-8:00pm. Im driving a 98 black Jeep Cherokee and am riding either my silver GT avalanche hardtail or my yellow Psycle Werks Wild Hare. Basically the guy with the ancient gear lol. I was out there last night so I probably wont be riding tonight. Hope to meet up some time.

dirt visionary
    Hey heads up ....not the best idea to post times/place/vehicle on here with so many recent bike thefts and break ins at walgreens. Just looking out.

How much further ???
    Hey heads up ....not the best idea to post times/place/vehicle on here with so many recent bike thefts and break ins at walgreens. Just looking out.

Yeah I thought about that, but my Jeep is old as $h!t and already had the stereo stolen out of it. Absolutly nothing of value in it anymore. Not even the back seat. I guess they could take my 11 year old floor mats. The bikes are with me so no worries there. But thanks for the heads up.

So there have been a lot of break ins at Walgreens lately?

mtbr member

Dang..

Man, I left the motor running and the air on and the damn thing was still there when I got back tonight..WTF? I guess my old rig doesn't look good enough with stolen 24in (gold) rims and a metal flake purple paint job...

Actually Clockwork, that's good intel..I noticed some broken glass in the lot last week and was thinking maybe the tweekers are so bold now they just bust in right there in the parking lot...

ride was good, rode Saguaro and Hidden backwards.. pretty humbling, had to walk a lot more than I like, but those trails are really loosed up and rutted right now. It was a good ride though..

next time PM details eh?
    Check my pulse...

dirt visionary
    Over the years that spot has become less secure as thieves have noticed people weren't parking at the trailhead lot as much. Beside with so many mtbr members having bikes stolen in the last 6months there's got to be a lurker getting info/ideas from this site .