TORCA Inagural POKER Ride October12th 2013 Feeling Lucky??
If you haven't experienced a poker run whether on a motorcycle or a boat, then you're missing out. What could be better than applying this type of social event with mountain bikes? Nothing, but don't take our word for it. Camping is available up higher at General hitchcock campground, so we're hoping our Northern Phx brethren will join. Shuttles will start at 9am and will go until 10:30.
What we will provide:
- Shuttle from Molino campground to Bug Springs trail head free of charge.
- Sonoran dogs and Beverages(BYOB) after the event free of charge.
- Prizes for the best hands.
- Music and copious high fives
What you need to bring:
- Suitable bike for an All mountain ride
- Fitness to complete approximately 8 miles of technical AM riding
- snack(if needed)
Details can be found here on Facebook. Flyer to come soon. https://www.facebook.com/TucsonTORCA...1774117906040/
Please feel free to share this event with your friends on facebook. The more the merrier! Cheers all!
Sounds like a great time! I am a strong maybe.
Poker Ride Details
We are a go! Despite the government shutdown and the limited resources, TORCA has been hard at work nailing down the logistics. So here they are. First things first;
• This is an INTERMEDIATE TO ADVANCED RIDE. If your idea of “technical” is the “Bunny Loop” or Sweet water Preserve, this is not the ride for you.
• This is a self sustained ride. Bring water, snacks, tubes, pumps and any other essentials that one might need to safely finish this ride.
• No helmet, No ride. No exceptions
• Waivers must be signed prior to boarding shuttle.
• This is not a race!! If you are wanting to throw down a run for a Strava KOM, this is NOT the ride for you and you will in all likelihood run into traffic. Not to mention be subject to taunting and brow beating by a group that is there to get the “best hand” and have fun.
• Be courteous, and if you have someone on your wheel, find a place to pull over and let them pass. If you encounter hikers, STOP, smile, give an enthusiastic “hello” and wave them through. Look out for and take care of each other.
SHUTTLES AND PARKING
• Parking will be limited with many of the campsites and picnic areas being closed. If possible, call a friend and carpool.
• Shuttles will begin at 9am. Last shuttle up will be at 10:30. We can shuttle you back up to your car at the end of the ride/food for those that end up parking up top.
• When parking in non marked areas, please be courteous and park as close as possible so as to allow as many people as possible. Parking areas that are open are as follows: Below pay station(17 spots), Molino Basin(very limited. Volunteers and TORCA), Gordon Hirabayashi (apprx 15 spots), Lower Bugs(10 spots), Thimble Peak Vista(approx 10 spots), 7 Cataracts(12 spots), Upper Bugs (apprx 8 spots). You can also park at windy point(lots of parking) and ride down to Bug Springs. We will provide a shuttle back to your car after the ride.
• The SHUTTLE STOPS are the parking areas listed above. Please be prepared with your gear and bike and ready to load. Please stay out of the road and do not impede traffic.
• Drivers will give every rider with a signed waiver, a numbered wrist band.
• At each dealer location(Top of first HAB, Top of 2nd HAB, Highway crossing, start of Prison Camp descent, first wash crossing on Prison Camp) you will choose a card and it will be written down by the dealer. Proceed down the trail to the next dealer.
• Once all participants and dealers are down the mountain, hands will be tallied and prizes given out for the best hands.
• “Chef Crash” will be grilling up Sonoran Dogs and icing down the beverages for your enjoyment. Stop by the TORCA Canopy to become a member and learn more about what we are doing.
• HAVE LOTS OF FUN!!
We want to thank everyone for coming out to our launch party poker ride! We had over 50 riders show up and everything went off without a hitch. Even got a visit from the Coronado National Forest District Ranger! Everyone made it down the mountain in tip top shape and smiles were a plenty. Chef Crash was grillin up some Sonoran Dogs and the post ride beees were ice cold. All the cards were tallied and we awarded prizes to the top ten hands.*There were a bunch of pairs and two pairs but the winner of the day had a full house!! He won a sweet XO shifter and Rear derailleur combo courtesy of Fairwheel Bikes. Second place was awarded some brands new Specialized Butcher and Purgatory front and rear tires courtesy of Arizona Cyclists.*Thanks to our Sponsors Fairwheel Bikes, Arizona Cyclist, Risky Business Restaurants, Epic Rides, Revolution Personal training, Strunk Excavating, Hook Crane, and Club Ride apparel. Next year will be even bigger and better and we can't wait to host it again! Check out some pix at the link below. Cheers everyone!
Last edited by TORCA; 10-17-2013 at 12:01 AM.
By TORCA in forum Arizona
Last Post: 10-18-2013, 07:29 AM
By TORCA in forum Arizona
Last Post: 09-10-2013, 05:00 PM
By suvlako in forum Specialized
Last Post: 06-17-2013, 10:05 AM
By picassomoon in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
Last Post: 06-05-2011, 09:44 PM
By niche77 in forum Arizona
Last Post: 05-14-2011, 09:04 PM