Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    1 bike to ride them all

Tomahawk Trail Memorial - Traildoc haters and haters in general... take a hike!

Went for a ride late this afternoon. On my way up Schnebley I passed several trucks filled with CREC crews. I held back the urge to say something crass as they drove by waving at me cheerily... I knew where they were coming from.

When I got above Merry Go Round I hiked up to the start of Tomahawk... And alas it was true... Tomahawk is gone.

For those of you who did not have the pleasure of riding Tomahawk, the trail descended through bands of flowing, steep, exposed slickrock which were connected by beautiful corridors of Arizona Cypress and huge Manzanita.

Tomahawk offered a truly unique experience that no other trail in Sedona does.

But... What's done is done.

This post is to honor and remember Tomahawk in all her garlyness, and to pay tribute to the people who created and shared a work of art that I and many others loved to ride.

Thank You... from the bottom of my dirty, greasy heart.

Please share your Tomahawk photos and videos here.

Thanks,
    CB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tomahawk Trail Memorial - Traildoc haters and haters in general... take a hike!-frostytomahawk.jpg  

Last edited by CANADIANBACON; 02-05-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by CANADIANBACON View Post
    Went for a ride late this afternoon. On my way up Schnebley I passed several trucks filled with CREC crews. I held back the urge to say something crass as they drove by waving at me cheerily... I knew where they were coming from.

When I got above Merry Go Round I hiked up to the start of Tomahawk... And alas it was true... Tomahawk is gone.

For those of you who did not have the pleasure of riding Tomahawk, the trail descended through bands of flowing, steep, exposed slickrock which were connected by beautiful corridors of Arizona Cypress and huge Manzanita.

Tomahawk offered a truly unique experience that no other trail in Sedona does.

But... What's done is done.

This post is to honor and remember Tomahawk in all her garlyness, and to pay tribute to the people who created and shared a work of art that I and many others loved to ride.

Thank You... from the bottom of my dirty, greasy heart.

Please share your Tomahawk photos and videos here.

Thanks,
    CB
    Was the closure of Tomahawk related to the AZ MTBR Forum, and how some used it for personal exploitations?
    Last edited by Cycle64; 02-06-2013 at 08:24 AM.

1 bike to ride them all
    Hmmm. I thought the purpose of this thread was clear... Say something cool about the trail, post a picture, post a video keep it positive.... But NO.

C64, I can't believe you are being SO disrespectful towards me and all those who loved Tomahawk trail.

Don't even try to give me a B.S. line like "I was just asking a legitimate question". Take your your thinly veiled vindictive mission to 'pin the tail on the goat' and beat it!

DRAMA OVER - Tomahawk Memorial ON!

CB

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by CANADIANBACON View Post
    Hmmm. I thought the purpose of this thread was clear... Say something cool about the trail, post a picture, post a video keep it positive.... But NO.

C64, I can't believe you are being SO disrespectful towards me and all those who loved Tomahawk trail.

Don't even try to give me a B.S. line like "I was just asking a legitimate question". Take your your thinly veiled vindictive mission to 'pin the tail on the goat' and beat it!

DRAMA OVER - Tomahawk Memorial ON!

CB
    Settle down, you brought drama to the post with the title of the thread. Drop the TD reference and the thread would have gained traction.

Not being disrespectful at all! How is calling people TD haters related to the closure? And by all means post memories of Tomahawk if you like.

mtbr member
    Truly a masterpiece of trail design and routing. I'm glad I got the chance to ride it. I'm going to miss the skinnies and other challenges on KillerB as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tomahawk Trail Memorial - Traildoc haters and haters in general... take a hike!-killerb.jpg  

Tomahawk Trail Memorial - Traildoc haters and haters in general... take a hike!-redrock1.jpg  

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Truly a masterpiece of trail design and routing. I'm glad I got the chance to ride it. I'm going to miss the skinnies and other challenges on KillerB as well.
    bummed i never had a chance, all those pics were beautiful. Fuggin kids keeping me home every weekend. Given this, and all the silliness about that jumpline -- i think I'd kill myself if I was trying to 'make a difference' in Sedona and had to deal with Federal officials instead of local ones.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Oh well, guess I'll have to ride some of the other hundreds of worthwhile trails in this large place called Arizona, just not that one in the small place called Sedona.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

pedaller
    Sad to see Tomahawk go...

Scared to imagine how many more are on the chopping block. I was hoping building would cease/slow but that the inventory would remain intact.

It appears the USFS has other plans...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg View Post
    Sad to see Tomahawk go...

Scared to imagine how many more are on the chopping block. I was hoping building would cease/slow but that the inventory would remain intact.

It appears the USFS has other plans...
    i reckon there will be ebb and flow. Eventually the FS will exhaust its budget at $5k a pop for restoration, and new trails will be born. They just wont be splattered all over the internet.

mtbr member
    Yes, sad to see Tomahawk go. Shreded it a couple of times and its a bummer that its gone. Have no pics due to the low key that this trail should've been kept in. Was going to visit it soon, bummer that won't happen now. I hear it goes thru sensitive area and that why its being closed? RIP.
    JRA

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Oh well, guess I'll have to ride some of the other hundreds of worthwhile trails in this large place called Arizona, just not that one in the small place called Sedona.
    If you didn't ride tomahawk you missed out. That trail was a gem and I'm glad that I got to ride it. Az is large and has hundreds of of worthwhile trails but this was one of the best trails in the state, it was special. Let me put it in your terms. You just said "at least my dropper post is air sprung like my fork so I can go fast over the chunk, those clip pedlers make me crash when I cant unclip my anti-squat from my 510's."

mtbr member
    Now I have to ask because you implied this in your title. What did TD have to do with this? How does one person get a whole trail shut down? It is usually not as simple as that - it takes more than a bunch of careless cyclists to cause a restoration. I am sure there was some pressure from enviromentalists and such...

All of these questions lead to the most important of all
    ----how do we not get any more trails shut down in the future?

I would hate to see BCT or Picket Post go - now that would truly be a tragedy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Now I have to ask because you implied this in your title. What did TD have to do with this? How does one person get a whole trail shut down? It is usually not as simple as that - it takes more than a bunch of careless cyclists to cause a restoration. I am sure there was some pressure from enviromentalists and such...

The OP just wanted to celebrate the short existence of an awesome trail and leave it at that. Every thread Traildoc posts in recieves the usual attention from his followers who can't wait to post their rebuttals.

This is about the best trip report ever and perhaps the best photo- and video-documentation of the unique character of Tomahawk: Another excellent Arizona Adventure (Pic HEAVY; Passion Xpost)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Did they tear out Killer Bee too? When I read this post I was so bummed. Tomahawk was one of the trails I was really looking forward to riding this spring once things warmed up enough to melt the snow on that north facing aspect. What a shame, I really wish they had adopted those trails in that area. I'm going to down a few beers and wallow in grief

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech View Post
    Yes, sad to see Tomahawk go. Shreded it a couple of times and its a bummer that its gone. Have no pics due to the low key that this trail should've been kept in. Was going to visit it soon, bummer that won't happen now. I hear it goes thru sensitive area and that why its being closed? RIP.

Looks like a fun trail. Couldn't they just build a bridge over the sensitive area? Oh wait, we're talking government beurocracy - creativity and free thinking aren't allowed.

mtbr member
    So, in the thread literally below this one, it's "Fu*k those guys who build illegal trails. They make us all look bad, and we don't need that scrutiny." But in here, it's "RIP Tomahawk, you'll be missed."

Which one is it?

1 bike to ride them all
    Yo Easy. Hope things are going well. I'll respond to your question in another thread... cool?

CB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    So, in the thread literally below this one, it's "Fu*k those guys who build illegal trails. They make us all look bad, and we don't need that scrutiny." But in here, it's "RIP Tomahawk, you'll be missed."

Which one is it?
    Good question. I wonder if they can't find a way to save illegal trails that are worthwhile rather than just shutting them down?

mtbr member
    Okay. I don't want to get your thread off the rails. I'm just wondering though, illegal trails are bad, unless they're good, and then they're okay?

mtbr member
    Seems like there was never time to pull out the camera on Tomahawk but here's a few more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tomahawk Trail Memorial - Traildoc haters and haters in general... take a hike!-th1.jpg  

Tomahawk Trail Memorial - Traildoc haters and haters in general... take a hike!-th2.jpg  

Tomahawk Trail Memorial - Traildoc haters and haters in general... take a hike!-th3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Okay. I don't want to get your thread off the rails. I'm just wondering though, illegal trails are bad, unless they're good, and then they're okay?
    Hello, exactly! Welcome to MTBR.com. It, like God, works in mysterious ways.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Hello, exactly! Welcome to MTBR.com. It, like God, works in mysterious ways.....
    More like the gossip of a sewing circle mixed with the purse swinging of Black Friday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

banned
    Aug 2012
    Looks like it was a fun ride.

Possibly avoided ... Just say'n !

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    If you didn't ride tomahawk you missed out. That trail was a gem and I'm glad that I got to ride it. Az is large and has hundreds of of worthwhile trails but this was one of the best trails in the state, it was special. Let me put it in your terms. You just said "at least my dropper post is air sprung like my fork so I can go fast over the chunk, those clip pedlers make me crash when I cant unclip my anti-squat from my 510's."
    I lived in Austin for the last 13 years. Try out losing 30% of your best mileage in a single transaction. I sat through that, twice. Oh, and they were better than what I watched in that video, too.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast