Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Todd Wells - Whiskey Off-road

I was watching the whiskey Off-road this past weekend. Setup about 5.5 miles from the finish (techy creek crossing just before the rock garden really begins), Todd Wells was the second rider through (Jeff Kabush had ripped open a healthy 3-4 minute lead).

For Anyone not familiar with the course, there is about one mile of single track and a 4-mile road sprint from this obs. point to the finish. Looking at the results, Todd came away 7th, loosing between 6 and 8 minutes (and a wadd off cash) within the last 5-miles.

Ouch!

Does anybody know what happened to Todd?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singletracmind View Post
    I was watching the whiskey Off-road this past weekend. Setup about 5.5 miles from the finish (techy creek crossing just before the rock garden really begins), Todd Wells was the second rider through (Jeff Kabush had ripped open a healthy 3-4 minute lead).

For Anyone not familiar with the course, there is about one mile of single track and a 4-mile road sprint from this obs. point to the finish. Looking at the results, Todd came away 7th, loosing between 6 and 8 minutes (and a wadd off cash) within the last 5-miles.

Ouch!

Does anybody know what happened to Todd?
    gearing? I mean most of is just a downhill ashpalt ride, unless he was completely wasted this where the 44x11 and big wheels win.

I should know because that's where about three riders passed me on my ten speed experiment.

Carnivore
    He crossed the finish line riding on a flat rear tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gila monster View Post
    ...and..... case closed

should have used the orange seal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gila monster View Post
    I heard about this in pre-race meeting. Not this particular case, but that pro's have lost tons of money in that last section doing just that. Getting a flat in those rock sections. I guess it happened again. I was thinking about that on my 25 proof ride and was quite happy that made not flats. Despite running tubes and having about 4-5 patches in my rear tube. Both front and rear held strong.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Carnivore
    He was also running some skinny looking XC tires. I think that is a big part of so many pros flatting. You roll the dice riding those condom thin tires on AZ rocks.

mtbr member
    I was hanging out in the same area. I overheard he "disappeared" after Sierra Prieta when he turned onto the singletrack. I imagine somewhere in there is where it punctured.

Seems like they roll the dice with thin tires to try and breakaway on the climb. Makes an exciting race to watch since things don't really end at the overlook.

mtbr member
    I examined my bike today, I had a big, deep sidewall scratch on my rear tire. Thank goodness I had my UST GRIDs on the back with reinforced side wall - little extra weight but so worth it. I lost my spare tire from by bike bag - forgot to zip it up.

Need more cowbell
    Story from Todd himself Whiskey 50 | Todd Wells

mtbr member
    Wow... even the pros cramped at cramp hill. I guess I don't feel that bad. At least I did not flat.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I blame low pressure. I can't think of a race where I want low pressure. The minuscule advantage of increased traction just doesn't offset having a pinch flat. It's like how you'll never win an XC race because you are a "good descender", you'll win it by going fast and keeping speed up everywhere else. Sure, might not be able to take a corner quite as aggressively, but you'll probably make out better with the rolling resistance, and the consequences of flatting are just too great.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I blame low pressure. I can't think of a race where I want low pressure. The minuscule advantage of increased traction just doesn't offset having a pinch flat. It's like how you'll never win an XC race because you are a "good descender", you'll win it by going fast and keeping speed up everywhere else. Sure, might not be able to take a corner quite as aggressively, but you'll probably make out better with the rolling resistance, and the consequences of flatting are just too great.
    Pros run tubes?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Pros run tubes?
    A tubeless tire can still be pinch flatted. Harder to fix, too, because the casing is cut instead of just the inner tube.

And, yes, some pros run inner tubes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    OK. I guess it was wise for me to put some extra 2-3 psi for the race.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yup, you are not going very fast while fixing a flat--or recovering from a crash. Still need to have grip and control to reduce the chance of the later.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Makes sense. When you're an Olympic level athlete like Wells and Kabush it must make sense to take those gambles and the little bit of an advantage you get from the additional traction.

mtbr member
    Kabush was also using FS and Wells HT. I always wondered if HT's are harsher on the tires.

Need more cowbell
    Geoff at the creek crossing.

mtbr member
    ^^^

The crossing looks much easier on the video.

My other ride is your mom
    everything looks easier at mach schnell

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath View Post
    Geoff at the creek crossing.

Good stuff Whiskers.

I was watching from this location as well. BTW viewers, not all of the pros made it look this easy and a few had to walk it...

Did you happen to shoot video of the dual/ pass that took place mid-crossing? That was pretty awesome.

Need more cowbell
    Sorry, I didn't film this....got it off Geoff's facebook page / Twitter feed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singletracmind View Post
    Good stuff Whiskers.

I was watching from this location as well. BTW viewers, not all of the pros made it look this easy and a few had to walk it...

Did you happen to shoot video of the dual/ pass that took place mid-crossing? That was pretty awesome.
    Pros walked this ?, wow. I went in with a lot speed, someone yelled "go right" and I ended going just right off that big rock you see on the other side the crossing. It was a smoother approach. I actually made it through the crossing without pedaling. The rock was wet and slippery - nice set up for lateral wheel slip and granite face plant.

mtbr member
    Some cramped coming through, some already had flats.

livin' the dream......
    I enjoyed the beer hand up I got after crossing the creek, it offset the taste of vomit I had from Sierra Prieta down. I was going *just* a bit slower than Geoff....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast