mtbr member

Tires for Arizona Trails

What do you recommend? Looking for a light tubeless tire that will be OK for mtb trails in AZ with all of the wonderful hazards that we have to offer on our trails. BS wants to sell me Shwalbe Rocket Rons. I am a small rider (130lbs) if that makes a difference. Any opinions and/or experiences are appreciated.

mtbr member

Tires for Arizona Trails

Geax Saguaro and Schwalbe Nobby Nics are ones I've had experience with and both have functioned very well. Geax AKAs are not very good in standard desert terrain, IMO. If those are too heavy, check out Specialized The Captain Controls. I'm kinda curios about the kenda Honey Badger tires in our desert, but I'm not gonna try them first.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

Go Speed Racer
    Been lots of threads on this topic... Might want to do some searches in the forum. Really depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing.

Personally I ride XC and weigh about the same as you, I ride a 29er and run tubeless. Run around 22-25 psi. Tried quite a few tires, but for some reason I always seem to go back to the GEAX Saguaro.

You will likely get a wide variety of responses!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm running a rocket ron up front and a conti x-king in the rear. Roro up front has enough bite to lay into the corners and the x-king seems to match up well with it with little rolling friction. I find this to be a pretty good combo for the mcdowells, just need to make sure that if you are running the ron tubeless that you check your stans regularly as it tends to dry out faster due to the pourous sidewalls.

I ran both front and rear roro for awhile with the rear reversed and that grips very well, but not as fast as the x-king in the rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I run Conti Trail Kings UST 2.2 front and back. They work great and I have had no problems. I also run the 2.4's when I do downhill stuff.

mtbr member
    Thanks. So no issues with roro's being thin and not holding up to rocks and cactus? That is really my only concern.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Been lots of threads on this topic... Might want to do some searches in the forum. Really depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing.

Personally I ride XC and weigh about the same as you, I ride a 29er and run tubeless. Run around 22-25 psi. Tried quite a few tires, but for some reason I always seem to go back to the GEAX Saguaro.

You will likely get a wide variety of responses!
    Thanks, yes I have been looking at tire threads but I was looking for more AZ specific advice and/or experience with that particular tire. Appreciate the input.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyNAZ View Post
    Thanks. So no issues with roro's being thin and not holding up to rocks and cactus? That is really my only concern.
    I don't do too much chunk, but they have held up just fine to the East side of the mcdowells. I have never had a torn side wall on any schwalbes, just knobs falling off. Schwalbes are expensive and tend to not last long, but if you get them at a good price then i say go for it. Also might want to run a snakeskin Racing Ralph in the rear for extra protection.

Huffy Rider
    Good- Conti X-Kings Pro 2.4
    Better- Conti Mtn Kings 2 Pro 2.4
    Best-Conti TK UST 2.2

This has been my experience riding in Northern AZ. Good luck

mtbr member
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 has proven very tough. It also comes in a 2.25 if you want to save a little weight. I'm 190 riding a rigid SS.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've been pretty happy with 2.25 nobby nics, tubeless, on my rigid SS in most conditions.
    Gravity G29 with mods
    Motobecane Fantomcross Pro
    Trek 5900
    Random Giant MTB converted to SS grocery getter.

Happy Trails
    I'm on tubeless 2.2" Maxxis Ikons 3C/EXO/TR with the extra "EXO" sidewall, at 27 and 29 psig, riding mostly on the east side of the McDowells. Ikon is working great on the rear wheel, but not so great on the front for my medium-skills riding in the recent dry, dusty conditions ... been sliding out a little. I will probably switch to something with a little more bite up front (maybe a Spesh Ground Control 2.3" or a 2.35" Ikon) unless I find the recent rains have added some sticky/tacky to the trails.

Has anyone tried the 2.35" Ikon?

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of your input. Much appreciated. Looks like I will try the Rocket Rons and go from there. Will check out the snakeskin option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I orginally had a Rocket Ron which came on my bike and slashed the side wall within two months or so. Then went to a Captain Control which I loved then cut that side wall. Finally tried a Geax Saguaro after hearing great reviews and again within three rides a small cut in the middle developed, stans sealed it no problem, then after about five rides it busted open and now I can fit my thumb in it. All have been tubeless, rear and I mainly ride Deem so now I'm on to a Kenda El Moco to see if it will hold up lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My personal favorite setup is a Tioga Psycho Genius on the front, and a Geax Saguaro on the back in the reverse direction.

The Tioga is awesome on the front, it hooks up great and is very predictable. The Saguaro is great but wears kind of quick IMO.

bland
    I've been running the chunkstars with the chola casing from gnartyre.com. They are pretty light at 200 grams and seat up pretty easy with UST rims, floor pump! They are advertised at 2.1 but are bigger than a kenda 2.7. Some are uneasy about them rolling faster than semi-slicks and cornering harder than minions with the durability of triple-plies but I say bring it on. No other tire is worthy of our totally unique AZ mega chunk conditions. Any time a pass someone with other tires, all day long, I wonder why they aren't running these AZ specific tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Bayum....C@ck block!
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    I've been running the chunkstars with the chola casing from gnartyre.com. They are pretty light at 200 grams and seat up pretty easy with UST rims, floor pump! They are advertised at 2.1 but are bigger than a kenda 2.7. Some are uneasy about them rolling faster than semi-slicks and cornering harder than minions with the durability of triple-plies but I say bring it on. No other tire is worthy of our totally unique AZ mega chunk conditions. Any time a pass someone with other tires, all day long, I wonder why they aren't running these AZ specific tires.
    I was able to set mine up with a floor pump as well and didn't even need a valve. What are the best clipless pedals for AZ chunk or should I get some flats like the flypaper pedals that Mrwhir brought with him from Austin?
    "The world is worse when you are behind a keyboard. The world is best when you are behind handlebars." M77Ranger.