Thread: Tire wobble

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Tire wobble

Hi Guys, I have a little problem on my rear tire. My previuos tire Maxxis Ignitor start to wobble. I took it to the shop and they told me it was how the tire was mounted...Because the wheel seen to be "true", Well I bought a new tire Maxxis CrossMark and it does the same (brand new) I pay attention on the wheel and it seem to be ok.. Have you guys experienced the something similar...I think my tire is mounted properly!

Any suggestions

Thanks in advanced

Gera
    Gera
    Specialized HR 29er

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Look at the bead. there is a line above the bead that is visible when the tire is seated. There should be an even spacing all the way around the wheel between 1/8-3/16" between the lip of the wheel and this line. If you seat the tire dry, it will usually stick and not seat evenly. Spray some water with a little bit of soap in it onto the bead and then seat.

Ahhh the pain....
    ^^ exactly what he said. if you can confirm that the bead is truly seated correctly on the rim and still see wobble, then it is most like manufacturing variation. I've had this on a number of tires. Doesn't impact performance of the tire (unless you have very little clearance to the frame), but just looks bad.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I had this same exact thing happen to me with a Maxxis Ignitor on my front wheel.... I didnt give it a second thought... but then two weeks after noticing it this same tire burped when I was going into a turn... ended up tearing shoulder ligaments and $3000 worth of medical bills... And I still have shoulder pain (this happened in May 2013)

I hope this does scare you...

But then again a rear tire burp is likely less of an issue than a front burp....
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

Give it a crank
    When I get a tire that wobbles like that and I can quite find anything wrong, I go do a test ride on smooth pavement. If I can't feel the wobble, I leave it as is. It's likely due to a section of the bead not fully seating on the rim. It'll often fix itself while riding the trails.

I've had this happen more often with tubeless than with tubes. With tubes, I pump them to 60psi and release the extra air before riding. Tires usually seat perfectly that way. For really stubborn tires, the soapy water all the way around both beads really helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks guys, for the adviced, I went on a bike ride 2 days ago in SanTan and did not felt any issues with the performance.. However I can feel it on pavement.. I will try the soapy water!! I just bother me..
    Gera
    Specialized HR 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    When I have that problem with a new tire, I pump up my tire to 50-60 psi and it usually seats itself real nice and straight. I always hated looking down at my front tire and see a wobble.