Thread: Tire tumors?

mtbr member

Tire tumors?

Anyone have issues with big blisters/tumorous outgrowths on their tires

I have folding bead 2/35 Nevegal (not tubeless specific) running ghetto with Stans that is showing some pretty significant bubbles on it...I assum from cactus punctures allowing air to get between the carcass and the tread (causing tread separation).

I am curious if anyone has experienced this, and if so, do you just ride them or toss them out?

I'm swapping the tire now anyway, but I didn't get anywhere near full life out of the tread.

Maybe this is why they have tubeless specific tires eh?

The terrain around here is freakin brutal on tires..
    Check my pulse...

mtbr member
    Well known issue with running kenda tires with sealant. Google or search here on mtbr. It's common and kenda I guess doesn't recommend running sealant.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    They say the blistering is caused by the Stan's fluid. I've never personally had it happen, but I think Kendas are more susceptible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonebone2000
    Well known issue with running kenda tires with sealant. Google or search here on mtbr. It's common and kenda I guess doesn't recommend running sealant.
    Ah, no wonder I only got about 100 miles out of my Kendas...
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member

opinions?

OK, I was running a 2.35 Nevegal in front, liked it OK, it blistered up pretty good plus had lots of other rash, so it's outta here. I just put on a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 2ply.

Rear has been running a Kenda excavator 2.35, it held up really good for a long time, and up until real recent, it hooked up killer on the loose sandy climbs (specifically, worked good all around in general0. I thought about getting another one just like it, but ended up with a Specialized "The Captain " 2.2.

I'm going out tonight to try them out and see how they work. Should be fun to see the difference a wholesale tire swap makes after riding the same set for a long time..

If anyone would like to offer opinions on this combo, I'd like to hear them. Nice to compare notes.

I ride Hawes, SoMo, and Usery

My guess is these tires will hold up to SoMo and Pass mtn. abuse well (they seem real sturdy) , and if "The Captain" hooks up I will be happy. If they don't roll fast, Hawes will be my treadmill (which is fine)..
    Last edited by 5bravobravo; 09-04-2010 at 05:01 PM.
    Check my pulse...

im4Gsus
    same thing happen to my rear 29er panaracer. a friend said it was separation between the layers due to poor manufacturing workmanship. the front one is ok.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    had the same thing on my ust weirwolf 2.1 , i just poped the bubble and kept using it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5bravobravo
    Anyone have issues with big blisters/tumorous outgrowths on their tires

I have folding bead 2/35 Nevegal (not tubeless specific) running ghetto with Stans that is showing some pretty significant bubbles on it...I assum from cactus punctures allowing air to get between the carcass and the tread (causing tread separation).

I am curious if anyone has experienced this, and if so, do you just ride them or toss them out?

I'm swapping the tire now anyway, but I didn't get anywhere near full life out of the tread.

Maybe this is why they have tubeless specific tires eh?

The terrain around here is freakin brutal on tires..
    My Nevegal 2.35 UST gets the same bubbles, but just on the left side.

I just take a pin and shove it into the side of the blister to let the air out. (Just like what you would do for a big blister on your hand or foot, only it hurts less.)
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member

sure, why not

Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave
    My Nevegal 2.35 UST gets the same bubbles, but just on the left side.

I just take a pin and shove it into the side of the blister to let the air out. (Just like what you would do for a big blister on your hand or foot, only it hurts less.)
    I guess since I carry a tube in my camelback, it's not such a big deal..What the heck, gave me a good excuse to try out some different tires...

I'll donate the diseased tire to my kid...
    Check my pulse...

mtbr member

mtbr member

mutha-fn ardent is a beeotch...

Damn that tire is a mutha to put on, ripped my ghetto tube 2x...It better work good...my luck it will last about 5 rides and be trash...
    Check my pulse...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Running it on the front you should be fine. If you ride anything gnar it won't last in the rear. I actually love the Ardent as a rear, but just can't keep it alive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Its Noght Ah Tumar!
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner