mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Tire Suggestions for Sedona?

Hi all!
    I am coming out to Sedona in about a month to join a Western Spirit Bike Tour. After going back and forth on renting or bringing my bike I decided to bring my bike (which is a hard tail) simply because it is the bike that I ride at home and feel most comfortable on. I am now considering if I should invest in a set of tires that would best be suited for the terrain. Currently I ride WTB Mutanoraptors but I was considering dropping some coin on Spec. Purgatory Armadillo Elites (but they are $$$$$). Should I just run the tires I have with slimed tubes and gorilla(?) tape?

Thanks in advance for any replies- I soooo excited to get out to Arizona!!!!!
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

Huffy Rider
    I personally would not run tubes out here, and I also would not run anything that doesn't have a stout sidewall. I run tubeless, both Stans and ghetto. I have run Conti X-kings, Mtn Kings 2, and Trail kings UST. BY FAR the best choice of those three is the TK UST. The others will work but the flimsy sidewalls don't like our rocks and cactus. I have no experience with anything else, but I can say that those I have ridden with that run tubes, end up running out of spare tubes. Hope this helps,

Brenda

mtbr member
    Maxxis Minion DHF and Ardents are pretty popular around here. I prefer the Minions, but everybody likes something different. If you don't want to consider tubeless (everybody is doing it), slimed tubes are necessary. Have an extra or two in your pack, you'll probably use them.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the heads up on tubeless- I do run Stan's Flow rims just never took the plunge- more approached the last wheel build as I'll use Stan's rims if I ever get the urge to try tubeless... Well now may the time!

Thanks for the feedback guys- I have some work to do!!!

mtbr member
    Depending on how much you weigh the Contis work well on Flows. If your hefty go UST on the rear. The 2.2 UST TK version is more like a 2.3 and only ~100 g heavier. I can get them to inflate on Flows with a handpump and Stans sealant. Most other tires I need an air compressor. Do IT, you won't be disappointed.

Huffy Rider
    ^^^What he said, they mount up and seal super easy. I run 22 psi in mine mounted on Stans crests and never burped. Just DO IT!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Pulled the trigger- Cont TK's and all the fun little pieces that are necessary for the conversion- I got both the valves as well as the valves integrated in the strip specific for the flows- I imagine I will have some trial and error. The rims already have the yellow tape but I got a role of that as well.

Thanks for the quick feedback- I was not expecting this as a result and I am so glad I asked!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Molasses View Post
    Pulled the trigger- Cont TK's and all the fun little pieces that are necessary for the conversion- I got both the valves as well as the valves integrated in the strip specific for the flows- I imagine I will have some trial and error. The rims already have the yellow tape but I got a role of that as well.

Thanks for the quick feedback- I was not expecting this as a result and I am so glad I asked!
    You shouldn't need a rim strip. Just use two layers of yellow tape and you'll save 50g on ea. wheel. The rim strip is only necessary for seriously hefty folks, non-stan's rims, or a particular tire that has a loose fit and keeps burping (not a problem with Contis).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Cool- that is saving me some time and cash!