mtbr member

Tire side wall cuts - GRID vs. ARMADILLO

So last week I tore the side wall on my 3rd spec fast trak control in the past 4 months.

Partially it's my sloppy riding style, I brake too late on turns and like to slide out the rear tire - it's probably moving laterally too much to meet sharp, loose rocks...

... but there's got to be a better tire. My LBS mainly deals specialized and their said that they would only honor the warranty if I get the ground control grid.

On specialized website they also have armadillo and they even have nice explanation of how it works, but no word on GRID and how it compares.

anyone know the difference between GRID and ARMADILLO in its ability to resists side wall cuts?

Is there another tubeless 29inch tire I should be looking at instead?
    or do I just suck at riding and should take up knitting instead?

EDR
    I thought the Armadillo had better thorn protection under the tread, and GRID have beefier sidewalls.

Anyhow I had an Eskar Armadillo years ago and have a Purgatory UST GRID tire now. The GRID sidewalls are way way stronger than the Control series tires, that's for sure ( and the UST may add even more durability). Anyhow I haven't had any issues with it's durability out here, however I am running the Purg in front.

mtbr member
    UST seems like the way to go, I wish the spec website showed more info on these tires - for condition, thickness difference, etc.

Do you need special UST compatible rims to run the GRID?

Armadillo have some enhanced side wall protection but I am not sure how that compares to UST.

Armadillo

Co-developed with engineers from DuPontŪ, the next-generation Specialized Armadillo tire family combines the smooth, long-wearing ride of a performance tire with three proven flat-protection technologies.

A DuPont KevlarŪ subtread barrier provides bead-to-bead protection. A second Kevlar barrier impregnated with a Kevlar-Engineered Elastomer seals all gaps in the fabric weave. Finally, a new synthetic cap ply material uses a lightweight version of the latest offroad motorcycle racing technology to prevent sidewall cuts. The result is the most effective flat-prevention technology on the market.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've been running Grid tires for about 5 months now with no issues. New bike came with control tires and I got a sidewall tear after 1 month. Patched it from the inside (from pinkbike's tech tuesday). Got more sidewall tears eventually on the control tire. Moved to Grid ever since.

BTW, mostly ride SoMo mormon/national stuff. Nothing crazy.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    UST seems like the way to go, I wish the spec website showed more info on these tires - for condition, thickness difference, etc.

Do you need special UST compatible rims to run the GRID?

Armadillo have some enhanced side wall protection but I am not sure how that compares to UST.
    I just got a Purgatory Grid UST and set it up tubeless ghetto-style on non-UST rims. It set up real nice, real fast.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am running grid ust tire on the rear and have run them in the past. Spec tires seem to last longer than other brands that I have used. My sons bike has a armadillo ust on the rear but only has 3 rides on it. It is my understanding that the grid has a stronger sidewall. But what do I know.
    Last edited by cklog; 01-08-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: change text

mtbr member
    So last week I tore the side wall on my 3rd spec fast trak control in the past 4 months.

Partially it's my sloppy riding style, I brake too late on turns and like to slide out the rear tire - it's probably moving laterally too much to meet sharp, loose rocks...

... but there's got to be a better tire. My LBS mainly deals specialized and their said that they would only honor the warranty if I get the ground control grid.

On specialized website they also have armadillo and they even have nice explanation of how it works, but no word on GRID and how it compares.

anyone know the difference between GRID and ARMADILLO in its ability to resists side wall cuts?

Is there another tubeless 29inch tire I should be looking at instead?
    or do I just suck at riding and should take up knitting instead?
    I ride specialized captain grid ust tires on both front and back. No issues, tough and thick- and my riding style can't be worse than yours.

I have specialized armadillo road tires on my road bike - I swear there is cactus all over the streets here too!

mtbr member
    Metal,

I have had the same problem, I recently switched to Fast Track Grid in the rear and Fast Track control in the front. Seems to have cured the sidewall tears. I was getting one nearly every week, sometime two tires in one weekend using Control on both ends.

I think if you lived somewhere with no to few rocks, the Control is an absolute awesome tire, light, predictable and durable enough. That's just not here. Maybe P&D or Pemberton.
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Mountain bike overlords I beg you not to jinx me on this...I've run both the Captain GRID's & Armadillo Elites on my 29er. (rear wheel) Both UST. I'm going to give the nod to the GRID's. 2 tires, both lasted in the 1200-1500 mile range and I tend to think I'm a bit hard on them. No real issues to speak of, however on the Armadillo, after about 700 miles I noticed 2 full side knobs were ripped off exposing the tire cords. Luckily I was on day 78 of the 90-day warranty and the LBS swapped it out for a GRID. YMMV.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member

GRID IT IS !

I was a bit apprehensive about the weight - around 900 gm for the 29er - but it sure beats being stuck and changing the tube instead of riding.

BIG MAHALO

Did anyone else use the non-UST rim - looks like Doug did fine without it.

EDR

GRID IT IS !

I was a bit apprehensive about the weight - around 900 gm for the 29er - but it sure beats being stuck and changing the tube instead of riding.

BIG MAHALO

Did anyone else use the non-UST rim - looks like Doug did fine without it.
    Are you buying UST? You don't have to. Anyway you can run a ust tire with a tube on any rim if you want to. Most don't want to due to weight . GRID casing and UST are two totally different things...but I think you realize that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Are you buying UST? You don't have to. Anyway you can run a ust tire with a tube on any rim if you want to. Most don't want to due to weight . GRID casing and UST are two totally different things...but I think you realize that.
    actually no, the spec website sorely lacks any info on the tires

I don't see GRID without the UST on the specialized tire website.

Specialized Bicycle Components

EDR
    actually no, the spec website sorely lacks any info on the tires

I don't see GRID without the UST on the specialized tire website.

Specialized Bicycle Components
    Ya, I see what you mean. I guess Speshy does call all their UST tires GRID. GRID is just another casing like Control, or SX, or Armadillo. Anyway if you can't get your tire in a NON ust version of GRID then go with Armadillo at least. Control tires have sidewalls like paper.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quick anecdotal data here for what it's worth...

I tore the sidewall on a Captain Control (2Bliss) within 50 miles. After that I switched to the Captain Grid and have ~700 problem free miles. It holds pressure well when run tubeless and is just starting to show its age.

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    I just got a Purgatory Grid UST and set it up tubeless ghetto-style on non-UST rims. It set up real nice, real fast.
    +1
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

livin' the dream......
    I wore down a Grid (several months of riding) and was happy with the tire. Replaced it with another Grid and sliced the sidewall on the second ride. Shop warranted the tire, slapped a new on on there and I am back in business.

I think the sliced wall was the result of sloppy bike handling skills on a night ride vs. the tire. Still satisfied with the Grid.