official eMpTyBRain

Tire choices for: AZ Trail, Gold Canyon, Black Canyon

Just wondering what you guys are using for these rides and anything similar? Thanks!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Hawg,

I've had good luck with the CST Caballero 2.25 or 2.4 wire bead. I ride a lot and the front last ~1 year and the rear ~3 months. I tried an Ardent and it lasted ~ 6 weeks.

I ride mostly national at South Mtn but I've ridden Gold, BCT, Hawes and McDowell without any problems at all. The sidewalls are great.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    been using conti x king, seem ok to me, i ride hawes mostly

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i had my very first sidewall cut today (after 2 years in AZ riding mostly hawes),, so i will be putting on the geax saguaro i bought like 4 months ago

i also had an idea for a new hydration pack that looks like yoda and it beats you with a little stick when you're moving too slow.
    it would be called the Hamillback

mtbr member

Very nicely done Mike!

To recommend a tire it would be helpful to have some more info. What type of bike? What type of riding primarily? Weight of yourself? Agressive turner? Tubeless? What do you like and not like about your current tire? What are you rolling now?

With so many good options in tires these days, tires can be a little specialized. Ten or twelve years ago, tires were made to please the masses. What works for me may not work well for you at all.

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Very nicely done Mike!

To recommend a tire it would be helpful to have some more info. What type of bike? What type of riding primarily? Weight of yourself? Agressive turner? Tubeless? What do you like and not like about your current tire? What are you rolling now?

With so many good options in tires these days, tires can be a little specialized. Ten or twelve years ago, tires were made to please the masses. What works for me may not work well for you at all.

In So Cal (where I live), I ride mostly buff to mildly technical trails and fire roads with lots of hard pack, loose over hard, and a very little bit of sand or cat litter. On my 429, I have Specialized Ground Controls 2.1 F/R (tubeless) and these are perfecto for my terrain and needs. Weight 170.

I'm building up an "AZ specific" wheel set which includes Stan's Arch EX rims. I understand that AZ has seriously technical terrain that can be really rough on wheels and tires but that is not my style/choice of riding. The places I mentioned are the places I plan to ride. I also realize that they may be a bit more demanding than my So Cal trails but not extremely so. I am considering Specialized Purgatory 2.3s in Control casing but I wanted hear what everyone else was rolling on before I decided.

I've ridden much of South Mtn over the years when I visited Phoenix. National is bit much for me. Mormon type stuff is where I draw the line. I also like fast XC stuff like Desert Classic.

Thanks again.

I am also open to suggestions to riding areas similar to my liking around the Valley there.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Meatbomb
    I run the Ground Control on the rear and the Purgatory on the front and it works fine for me.

How much further ???
    Smoke / Darts
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member

Sounds like the ground controls would work pretty well for you here. I have no experience with those personally. I have found hat what I use when I ride around San Diego works just as well as what I use here.

Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Continental Trail King 2.4 for everything personally. Great wear, faster rolling than other 2.4's I've tried, and strong. I love the traction.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Huffy Rider
    Trail Kings

mtbr member
    I ride BCT alot and use 26x2.25 nobby nic front and rear in their "performance line" compound on my 26" hardtail. They work fine for me as an all round tire. Light enough to do the occasional race and tough enough for the trails I ride alot.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

How much further ???
    Not sure how much you weigh but my TransAM came with Nobby Nic performance and they were shredded in a month. Thin sidewalls resulted in several sidewall cuts and the knobs were almost gone in a month. Im probably 210lbs with gear.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I am 160 with gear.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Got a suspension fork
    161 to 164 wet out of the shower. 29er, tubeless.

disclaimer: You may disagree and that's totally cool, this is my experience and feelings on some tires I have experience with in the PHX area.

-I will never run a Small Block 8 in PHX area again, too thin sidewalls.
    -Geax Saguaro just isn't my cup of tea, mediocre in all regards with excellent longevity.
    -Have loved the Purgatory 2.4" for front rigid, and 2.2" front with susfork or rear. But now they got rid of both those sizes and went with a 2.3" which sounds more like a bit heavier 2.2…. yeah go figure. This will probably still be a stellar front tire, but I'm a bit of a weight weenie and that's getting heavy for front and rear.
    - Captain Control, contrary to popular opinion, this tire sucks in every single measurable way to the Purgatory, no comparison.
    - Bontrager Jones ACX is a super grippy really great tire, but it doesn't last very long.
    - Vredestein Black Panther XTREME, I've been running this on the front for the past 1,000+ miles and it's a stellar tire for me, I feel more confident in the big chunks of loose shale than any other tire I've tried, and it's only about 660 grams. I think when my rear Purgatory 2.2 needs replacement I just may pick up another one of these and put it on the rear.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Always glad to see you have the Black Panthers on your side

Prime
    2.3 Purgatory Control, front and rear. I have put on A LOT of hard miles with these tires, and for all around AZ use, they would be hard to beat.

But you already knew I'd say that.

mtbr member
    i ride everything with captains 2.2 at the front and ground control UST GRIDS (2.1) in the back - no side wall cuts since -
    -- grip is in the pressure

Ahhh the pain....
    ah yes, the great tire debate...
    You sound like you ride much of the same stuff I do so here are my thoughts...
    Bullet proof combination on AZT (time tested by many AZT racers) is Panaracer Rampage F&R. Not the lightest thing but those tires are averaging around 750grams in 29". I run one on front and love it there.
    Rear tire is a tougher deal...higher forces, more likely to slice. If you ride agressively (push tires hard into corners), and weigh over 180 or so, I think you have to be looking at Speshy flavors in w grid or something with a beefed up sidewall (Rampage, Saguaro TNT, etc). The thin stuff will frustrate you and leave you walking.
    It also depends on how much you ride and your budget...if you ride as much as I do, you're putting a new tire on every 6 weeks and expensive tires make too big of a dent in my wallet. I used to run Michelin Wild Racers...cheap and bulletproof...then they changed the design. The new ones aren't as good. Conti X-Kings w protection are OK however many have not had much success with them. Saguaro's (regular folding, not TNT) are OK but again, not perfect.
    Bottom line, no perfect tire out there...
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    +1 Purgatory Control, I ride all over the state and beat the hell out of them on South Mtn. If they can handle SoMo they can handle just about anything. I'm also 235 geared up so they get ridden pretty hard!

Team Pedalin' PACEless
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    +1 Purgatory Control, I ride all over the state and beat the hell out of them on South Mtn. If they can handle SoMo they can handle just about anything. I'm also 235 geared up so they get ridden pretty hard!
    True dat. I've only ridden SoMo once and if your equipment can handle the stuff doled out there, it can handle anything.

I'm currently on the 2.4 Michelin Wild Grip'R 2's in 650b (tubeless), and they have been promising. I've only logged about 100 miles on these tires, but they have been proverbially confidence-inspiring. I don't remember if the tougher sidewall is an option, but I opted for these in spite of the added weight.

I've also had good experiences with the Panaracer Fire XC (a cheaper option) and Schwalbe Nobby Nic's (snakeskin sidewall). I do NOT recommend the Schwalbe Racing Ralph's, Vee Rubber Mission's or WTB Wolverines... unless you like walking your bike.

Pj

EDR

Re: Tire choices for: AZ Trail, Gold Canyon, Black Canyon

UST trail Kings are great for the terrain out here. Purgatory are good tires as well although I don't recommend any tire with the control casing its just too thin for all the rocks out here. But that's just my experience others get away with it just fine.

Larger volume tires are also highly recommended. For reference my 2.2 UST trailking is almost the same size as my UST 2.4 purgatory tire