Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    770

    Tire for AM riders in Mesa

    I'm not from Arizona and am trying to figure out what tire to buy for someone. It'll be for a Santa Cruz heckler that is built for aggressive AM...so, 160mm vengeance, 31in bars etc...what tires do most of you ride on for the trails in the area?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HighTitan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    727
    Not sure if he runs 2.5s or 2.35s but Id def go with a Maxxis UST high roller or a minon.
    I like to ride bikes fast.

  3. #3
    How much further ???
    Reputation: Douger-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,055
    I run the minion dhf 2.5 exo front and rear these days.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    770
    I wasn't sure if its really hard packed stuff, but yeah it sounds like the high roller 2 or minion is the way to go

  5. #5
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,028
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson View Post
    I wasn't sure if its really hard packed stuff, but yeah it sounds like the high roller 2 or minion is the way to go
    Yes, most trails in the area are crushed granite over hard-pack.

    HR/Minion, Spechy Chunder/Purgatory/Clutch, Conti Trail King/Rubber Queen and tires like these would be great.

    Seems like the mini paddle style tires work well in the rear, a la HR/Chunder/Clutch and and you can get away with a little better rolling tire in the front like the Purg/Minion.

    I'm currently running Purg front, Trial King rear. TK hooks up very nice in the lose stuff and on the rock faces out here.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tysonnemb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Yes, most trails in the area are crushed granite over hard-pack.

    HR/Minion, Spechy Chunder/Purgatory/Clutch, Conti Trail King/Rubber Queen and tires like these would be great.

    Seems like the mini paddle style tires work well in the rear, a la HR/Chunder/Clutch and and you can get away with a little better rolling tire in the front like the Purg/Minion.

    I'm currently running Purg front, Trial King rear. TK hooks up very nice in the lose stuff and on the rock faces out here.
    +1 for the Conti trail king. Best tire I've used out here. Great wear and great traction. Also rolls much faster than other similar tires, like the nevegal.

  7. #7
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,028
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    +1 for the Conti trail king. Best tire I've used out here. Great wear and great traction. Also rolls much faster than other similar tires, like the nevegal.
    Yeah, it's a really safe bet for a gift for someone out here. I have the UST Black Chill compound. I did notice Pricepoint had good prices on them but when I called them they confirmed they were not BC tires.

    Ya know what they say...compound matters And to the OP, they are large in size like some Speshy tires (read, true to size). I run a 2.2 or a 2.3 in the rear and it's nearly the same size as a 2.5 High Roller, at least the ones I bought 3 years ago....those things were small. If he likes a big tire then the 2.4 would be good, not too big but not small.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 11-30-2012 at 11:08 PM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: az3075's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    75
    I agree Minion DH is hands down best tire I've ever had on my bike. I've got a Trek Top Fuel 8, which is technically a XC bike, but with Minion DH 2.5s on it, it takes on anything with ease.. It's not a race tire... will slow you down, but gives you mega traction. Only issue to watch out for is width... 2.5s on my bike rub the fork (RockShox SID) a bit when wheel flexes in leaning turns...and sometimes rubs chain on back.... something to keep in mind, but an All Mountain bike should be designed for wide tires, I would think.

  9. #9
    I love bike!
    Reputation: dsittman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,096
    2.5 Minion dhf with exo grid protection or 2.35 speshy butcher sx. Very similar in tread and volume but butcher has a little tougher casing. Speshys are spensive tho.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •