• 11-30-2012
    nmpearson
    Tire for AM riders in Mesa
    I'm not from Arizona and am trying to figure out what tire to buy for someone. It'll be for a Santa Cruz heckler that is built for aggressive AM...so, 160mm vengeance, 31in bars etc...what tires do most of you ride on for the trails in the area?
  • 11-30-2012
    HighTitan
    Not sure if he runs 2.5s or 2.35s but Id def go with a Maxxis UST high roller or a minon.
  • 11-30-2012
    Douger-1
    I run the minion dhf 2.5 exo front and rear these days.
  • 11-30-2012
    nmpearson
    I wasn't sure if its really hard packed stuff, but yeah it sounds like the high roller 2 or minion is the way to go
  • 11-30-2012
    eatdrinkride
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nmpearson View Post
    I wasn't sure if its really hard packed stuff, but yeah it sounds like the high roller 2 or minion is the way to go

Yes, most trails in the area are crushed granite over hard-pack.

HR/Minion, Spechy Chunder/Purgatory/Clutch, Conti Trail King/Rubber Queen and tires like these would be great.

Seems like the mini paddle style tires work well in the rear, a la HR/Chunder/Clutch and and you can get away with a little better rolling tire in the front like the Purg/Minion.

I'm currently running Purg front, Trial King rear. TK hooks up very nice in the lose stuff and on the rock faces out here.
  • 11-30-2012
    tysonnemb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Yes, most trails in the area are crushed granite over hard-pack.

HR/Minion, Spechy Chunder/Purgatory/Clutch, Conti Trail King/Rubber Queen and tires like these would be great.

Seems like the mini paddle style tires work well in the rear, a la HR/Chunder/Clutch and and you can get away with a little better rolling tire in the front like the Purg/Minion.

I'm currently running Purg front, Trial King rear. TK hooks up very nice in the lose stuff and on the rock faces out here.

+1 for the Conti trail king. Best tire I've used out here. Great wear and great traction. Also rolls much faster than other similar tires, like the nevegal.
  • 11-30-2012
    eatdrinkride
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    +1 for the Conti trail king. Best tire I've used out here. Great wear and great traction. Also rolls much faster than other similar tires, like the nevegal.

Yeah, it's a really safe bet for a gift for someone out here. I have the UST Black Chill compound. I did notice Pricepoint had good prices on them but when I called them they confirmed they were not BC tires.

Ya know what they say...compound matters:thumbsup: And to the OP, they are large in size like some Speshy tires (read, true to size). I run a 2.2 or a 2.3 in the rear and it's nearly the same size as a 2.5 High Roller, at least the ones I bought 3 years ago....those things were small. If he likes a big tire then the 2.4 would be good, not too big but not small.
  • 12-01-2012
    az3075
    I agree Minion DH is hands down best tire I've ever had on my bike. I've got a Trek Top Fuel 8, which is technically a XC bike, but with Minion DH 2.5s on it, it takes on anything with ease.. It's not a race tire... will slow you down, but gives you mega traction. Only issue to watch out for is width... 2.5s on my bike rub the fork (RockShox SID) a bit when wheel flexes in leaning turns...and sometimes rubs chain on back.... something to keep in mind, but an All Mountain bike should be designed for wide tires, I would think.
  • 12-01-2012
    dsittman
    2.5 Minion dhf with exo grid protection or 2.35 speshy butcher sx. Very similar in tread and volume but butcher has a little tougher casing. Speshys are spensive tho.