Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Got a suspension fork

Tips so heat doesn't kill motivation

Like many in the valley, I ride all year. Thought maybe some tips from people may help those that are suffering with heat or new to riding this time of year.

Here's my go to list of things I do when it gets hot.

• Coolest part of the day is just before dawn, go to bed early and get out when it's cool.
    • Do more road bike riding when it's hot, tends to be much easier in the heat.
    • Add Elete Add-In to your water on all hot rides.
    • When MTB'ing, I fill a container of my water and drink mix, and put in the fridge so it's very cold in the morning, I use these BIG ice cubes which last for about 3 hours in summer! I also add more smaller cubes to the bladder too. When I bring an extra bottle of water, I use my Camelbak Podium Chill and freeze it solid the night before. Stays cool for several hours (don't fill it full before freezing or it expands the bottle too much, leave an inch of air). DO bring extra water.
    • This summer I switched from baggies to bib-shorts, I honestly think it helps keep cooler without the extra material.
    • One thing I do the exact same all year is to wear two pairs of wool socks. They rock, keep me warm in the winter and cool in the summer, and they don't stink to high heaven like synthetic socks do. Smartwool goes on first, then DeFeet Woolie Boolies on top.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member

Tips so heat doesn't kill motivation

Riding at night is a blast. Even though the temps may be hotter at 8 PM than they are at 5 AM, not having the sun beating on your face makes a huge difference!

Many shops and groups in the valley do weekly night rides.

mtbr member
    All good tips ^ but one other tip: if it's a cloudy day, or an unusually cool temperature, drop whatever you're doing and go ride. You couldn't possibly be doing anything else more important.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickhall View Post
    All good tips ^ but one other tip: if it's a cloudy day, or an unusually cool temperature, drop whatever you're doing and go ride. You couldn't possibly be doing anything else more important.
    EXACTLY. Just heard the thunder rolling through so I know tomorrow is gonna be a little cooler and likely clouds still hanging around. I'll be at DD by 5a

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Rode Hawes today from ~415-515pm. Not a soul on the trails and I got rained on for about 5 minutes. It was a nice afternoon ride for mid-July.

The large ice cubes in the camelbak (110oz) and a frozen drink mix bottle (~20oz) will last me over an hour if it's 110F. Slap on extra sunscreen and take an extra shirt for the drive home.

Honestly, I love the solitude of a mid-day summer heat ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have one too........Don't do it.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    It was cool this morning at 5AM after the rain last night.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Wook View Post
    Rode Hawes today from ~415-515pm. Not a soul on the trails and I got rained on for about 5 minutes. It was a nice afternoon ride for mid-July.

The large ice cubes in the camelbak (110oz) and a frozen drink mix bottle (~20oz) will last me over an hour if it's 110F. Slap on extra sunscreen and take an extra shirt for the drive home.

YES, use sunscreen! I find that the Bull Frog Water Armor works great, goes on super easy and doesn't sweat off. Available at Walmart.

How much further ???
    The only motivation I need to get out and ride in this heat is the following:

#1 I could live in a place where this is my winter.

Tips so heat doesn't kill motivation-snowhouse.jpg

#2 and this is my summer.

Name:  muddy-bike-trails.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  59.5 KB

That about sums it up for me.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    The only motivation I need to get out and ride in this heat is the following:

#1 I could live in a place where this is my winter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snowhouse.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	908025

#2 and this is my summer.

Name:  muddy-bike-trails.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  59.5 KB

That about sums it up for me.
    Yeah that just about shows how good we actually have it.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    It was cool this morning at 5AM after the rain last night.
    Yes, it was. Stayed up later than I wanted to to make sure my retaped wheels would seal and hold air. Humid as hell but the first ride of the summer that I didn't feel like complete sh|t.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I have one too........Don't do it.
    You have a what and don't do what?

I am Walt
    I've been getting back into it on the early rides...the weather is awesome, and it is so satisfying to get a ride done by 7 am! That said, on weekends, if I'm doing a shorter, local ride, I may sleep in and get going later, like 8-9 am. No big deal and I can handle it if it's a 1 1/2 hour ride...

+1 on freezing bottles...I freeze one or two bottles of CarboRocket electrolyte drink for every ride, depending on length. Maybe a third in my pack, for a long ride.

I fill my Osprey bladder about 1/2 - 2/3 full, and refrigerate it ahead of time, then add a bunch of ice to it before starting out. Makes a big difference to drink cold water...

And I wear lycra only during the hot weather...much cooler than baggies.
    Ride more; post less...

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I was there from 1:15 to 3:00. I wish I had waited until later. Saw someone else on Wild Horse on Saturday around the same time. I was shocked to see someone else out. That 10:30 to 4:30 window may not be the highest temps, but the sun is just brutal then. I went out then due to schedule and for something different.

Strangely, I ride more in the summer. Kids have less going on. It is light later.

My recommendation is get your electrolytes. I have been enjoying the pills lately.

I read a bit about hyper-hydration yesterday. I might try it for longer hot rides. Anyone else using a product for this? I have been doing a liter or so of water the hour before a ride with two endurolytes for most of this summer. Salty stuff like Miso soup sounds like another option for a meal well before the ride.

Here is the article. It is long, but has some good stuff in it.
    Hyper Hydration by Dr. Allen Lim | Skratch Labs
    From what I have read, your body can only absorb 28 ish oz an hour. You can easily sweat more than that in an hour. It is basically a Saline mix that increases the fluid in your blood by 10%ish. The sweat you lose comes form the fluid in yoru blood. Lot's of caution in the article about the product.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Wook View Post

Ahhh the pain....
    A couple things I've found in addition to all the stuff you guys mention...
    1. Pick trails that are in the shade from near by mtns...takes some planning to pull this off, but damn, huge difference.
    2. Ride at PMP where you have cold water available at DD and at North Mtn. I don't even ride with a camelbak (which keeps me cooler). You can ride for an hour, refill with water, soak your head, then do it again and again.

The thing that drives me nuts is the sweat drips on my glasses...I wear one of those do-rags with the rubber strip but seems like in the summer, I just overflow that thing. I need to start wearing wrist bands like the tennis players just to keep the sweat mopped up.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I get this a bit too, but try to use this to encourage better technique. If you keep your head up high with your eyes looking further down the trail, the sweat will not hit the glasses. Eyes further down the trail gives you smoother lilnes and through tech more easily. I also tried one of those Halo things and hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    The thing that drives me nuts is the sweat drips on my glasses...I wear one of those do-rags with the rubber strip but seems like in the summer, I just overflow that thing. I need to start wearing wrist bands like the tennis players just to keep the sweat mopped up.

mtbr member
    I use a halo headband and works reasonably well. This time of year is the worst since it so humid out. Still I carry with me a dry washcloth in my camelbak and I can use that to clean my glasses. And this time of the year I may need to stop take off my helmet and wring out my head band as it just saturates with sweat. Not much I can do about that.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Don't over do it with the sunblock, too much acts as an insulator for me. If I ride during the day light I only put a little on my shoulders/arms on the top and top of nose checks ears and back of neck. I seen people slather it on and they are sweater worse and look hotter than those who don't.
    My best solution is riding at midnight or going up north. Once or twice a year I might be able to wake up at 5am but I find it too weird seeing the sun rising up and being on the wrong side of the world.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

Got a suspension fork
    I find that the beanie caps style, a Pace helmet Liner with the sweat band on them work better than Halo bands, your mileage may vary.

Another tip, I put a pint glass full of water in the fridge the night before a ride, then in the morning I drink that wonderful cold water before my ride, pre-hydration.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    Don't over do it with the sunblock, too much acts as an insulator for me. If I ride during the day light I only put a little on my shoulders/arms on the top and top of nose checks ears and back of neck. I seen people slather it on and they are sweater worse and look hotter than those who don't.
    My best solution is riding at midnight or going up north. Once or twice a year I might be able to wake up at 5am but I find it too weird seeing the sun rising up and being on the wrong side of the world.
    Guy, the Bull Frog Water Armor doesn't make a 'shell' it aborbs in really well into your skin, it's meant for activity and works great.

I am Walt
    I just wear a cotton bandanna under my helmet...been doing that for years and years. Yep, gets wringing wet, and sweat drips all down my face and in my glasses, but nothing is going to change that with these temps and humidity, so I just deal with it...

I also take three Hammer Endurolyte caps per hour, but the real helpful trick I've learned is to stick 3-5 Clif Margarita Cramp-Buster Bloks on the top-tube, and pluck them off every 25-30 mins. Really helps with energy and cramping. Yeah, I sweat on them, and they can get dusty, but whatever...it's quick and easy, and I choose life!
    Ride more; post less...

Give it a crank
    It's pretty easy to work around our summer heat and still get some decent riding. Most of it has been mentioned already, you can look at a summer ride as a modified normal ride with just a few changes:

ride earlier or later
    ride flatter terrain
    ride a bit slower
    ride a bit less
    ride lighter
    ride when cloudy
    ride at higher elevations
    ride with good music

That's it, just ride.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Lot's of good new stuff on this thread!

Another little tip I started using when I need to slow it down in the heat. Focus on a part of your riding technique. Examples: Focus on pulling legs up more than down. Focus on stronger bike lean angle on turns. Focus on looking further down the trail.

Slower speeds are a great time to get better. It pulls your mind off the heat a bit too. Also, I often get bored if I feel I am not pushing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    Another little tip I started using when I need to slow it down in the heat. Focus on a part of your riding technique
    Excellent tip! I try to focus on technique when I'm riding with my kids

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    As odd as it sounds, just making the rides frequent stopping, shade abusing rides opens up the more middle parts of the days, if where you're riding has some decent juniper stacks at the sides of the trail. Treating the climbs as 60% effort efficiency pulls helps a lot too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The SweatVac ventilator cap works great for me. I hate sweat drips on the shades or in the eyes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast