Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Got a suspension fork

Tips so heat doesn't kill motivation

Like many in the valley, I ride all year. Thought maybe some tips from people may help those that are suffering with heat or new to riding this time of year.

Here's my go to list of things I do when it gets hot.

• Coolest part of the day is just before dawn, go to bed early and get out when it's cool.
    • Do more road bike riding when it's hot, tends to be much easier in the heat.
    • Add Elete Add-In to your water on all hot rides.
    • When MTB'ing, I fill a container of my water and drink mix, and put in the fridge so it's very cold in the morning, I use these BIG ice cubes which last for about 3 hours in summer! I also add more smaller cubes to the bladder too. When I bring an extra bottle of water, I use my Camelbak Podium Chill and freeze it solid the night before. Stays cool for several hours (don't fill it full before freezing or it expands the bottle too much, leave an inch of air). DO bring extra water.
    • This summer I switched from baggies to bib-shorts, I honestly think it helps keep cooler without the extra material.
    • One thing I do the exact same all year is to wear two pairs of wool socks. They rock, keep me warm in the winter and cool in the summer, and they don't stink to high heaven like synthetic socks do. Smartwool goes on first, then DeFeet Woolie Boolies on top.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member

Riding at night is a blast. Even though the temps may be hotter at 8 PM than they are at 5 AM, not having the sun beating on your face makes a huge difference!

Many shops and groups in the valley do weekly night rides.

mtbr member
    All good tips ^ but one other tip: if it's a cloudy day, or an unusually cool temperature, drop whatever you're doing and go ride. You couldn't possibly be doing anything else more important.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickhall View Post
    All good tips ^ but one other tip: if it's a cloudy day, or an unusually cool temperature, drop whatever you're doing and go ride. You couldn't possibly be doing anything else more important.
    EXACTLY. Just heard the thunder rolling through so I know tomorrow is gonna be a little cooler and likely clouds still hanging around. I'll be at DD by 5a

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Rode Hawes today from ~415-515pm. Not a soul on the trails and I got rained on for about 5 minutes. It was a nice afternoon ride for mid-July.

The large ice cubes in the camelbak (110oz) and a frozen drink mix bottle (~20oz) will last me over an hour if it's 110F. Slap on extra sunscreen and take an extra shirt for the drive home.

Honestly, I love the solitude of a mid-day summer heat ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have one too........Don't do it.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    It was cool this morning at 5AM after the rain last night.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Wook View Post
    Rode Hawes today from ~415-515pm. Not a soul on the trails and I got rained on for about 5 minutes. It was a nice afternoon ride for mid-July.

The large ice cubes in the camelbak (110oz) and a frozen drink mix bottle (~20oz) will last me over an hour if it's 110F. Slap on extra sunscreen and take an extra shirt for the drive home.

YES, use sunscreen! I find that the Bull Frog Water Armor works great, goes on super easy and doesn't sweat off. Available at Walmart.

How much further ???
    The only motivation I need to get out and ride in this heat is the following:

#1 I could live in a place where this is my winter.

Tips so heat doesn't kill motivation-snowhouse.jpg

#2 and this is my summer.

Name:  muddy-bike-trails.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  59.5 KB

That about sums it up for me.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    The only motivation I need to get out and ride in this heat is the following:

#1 I could live in a place where this is my winter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snowhouse.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	908025

#2 and this is my summer.

Name:  muddy-bike-trails.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  59.5 KB

That about sums it up for me.
    Yeah that just about shows how good we actually have it.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    It was cool this morning at 5AM after the rain last night.
    Yes, it was. Stayed up later than I wanted to to make sure my retaped wheels would seal and hold air. Humid as hell but the first ride of the summer that I didn't feel like complete sh|t.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I have one too........Don't do it.
    You have a what and don't do what?

I am Walt
    I've been getting back into it on the early rides...the weather is awesome, and it is so satisfying to get a ride done by 7 am! That said, on weekends, if I'm doing a shorter, local ride, I may sleep in and get going later, like 8-9 am. No big deal and I can handle it if it's a 1 1/2 hour ride...

+1 on freezing bottles...I freeze one or two bottles of CarboRocket electrolyte drink for every ride, depending on length. Maybe a third in my pack, for a long ride.

I fill my Osprey bladder about 1/2 - 2/3 full, and refrigerate it ahead of time, then add a bunch of ice to it before starting out. Makes a big difference to drink cold water...

And I wear lycra only during the hot weather...much cooler than baggies.
    Ride more; post less...

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I was there from 1:15 to 3:00. I wish I had waited until later. Saw someone else on Wild Horse on Saturday around the same time. I was shocked to see someone else out. That 10:30 to 4:30 window may not be the highest temps, but the sun is just brutal then. I went out then due to schedule and for something different.

Strangely, I ride more in the summer. Kids have less going on. It is light later.

My recommendation is get your electrolytes. I have been enjoying the pills lately.

I read a bit about hyper-hydration yesterday. I might try it for longer hot rides. Anyone else using a product for this? I have been doing a liter or so of water the hour before a ride with two endurolytes for most of this summer. Salty stuff like Miso soup sounds like another option for a meal well before the ride.

Here is the article. It is long, but has some good stuff in it.
    Hyper Hydration by Dr. Allen Lim | Skratch Labs
    From what I have read, your body can only absorb 28 ish oz an hour. You can easily sweat more than that in an hour. It is basically a Saline mix that increases the fluid in your blood by 10%ish. The sweat you lose comes form the fluid in yoru blood. Lot's of caution in the article about the product.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Wook View Post

Ahhh the pain....
    A couple things I've found in addition to all the stuff you guys mention...
    1. Pick trails that are in the shade from near by mtns...takes some planning to pull this off, but damn, huge difference.
    2. Ride at PMP where you have cold water available at DD and at North Mtn. I don't even ride with a camelbak (which keeps me cooler). You can ride for an hour, refill with water, soak your head, then do it again and again.

The thing that drives me nuts is the sweat drips on my glasses...I wear one of those do-rags with the rubber strip but seems like in the summer, I just overflow that thing. I need to start wearing wrist bands like the tennis players just to keep the sweat mopped up.
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I get this a bit too, but try to use this to encourage better technique. If you keep your head up high with your eyes looking further down the trail, the sweat will not hit the glasses. Eyes further down the trail gives you smoother lilnes and through tech more easily. I also tried one of those Halo things and hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    The thing that drives me nuts is the sweat drips on my glasses...I wear one of those do-rags with the rubber strip but seems like in the summer, I just overflow that thing. I need to start wearing wrist bands like the tennis players just to keep the sweat mopped up.

mtbr member
    I use a halo headband and works reasonably well. This time of year is the worst since it so humid out. Still I carry with me a dry washcloth in my camelbak and I can use that to clean my glasses. And this time of the year I may need to stop take off my helmet and wring out my head band as it just saturates with sweat. Not much I can do about that.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", '06 Rocky Mtn Switch 26" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Don't over do it with the sunblock, too much acts as an insulator for me. If I ride during the day light I only put a little on my shoulders/arms on the top and top of nose checks ears and back of neck. I seen people slather it on and they are sweater worse and look hotter than those who don't.
    My best solution is riding at midnight or going up north. Once or twice a year I might be able to wake up at 5am but I find it too weird seeing the sun rising up and being on the wrong side of the world.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

Got a suspension fork
    I find that the beanie caps style, a Pace helmet Liner with the sweat band on them work better than Halo bands, your mileage may vary.

Another tip, I put a pint glass full of water in the fridge the night before a ride, then in the morning I drink that wonderful cold water before my ride, pre-hydration.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    Don't over do it with the sunblock, too much acts as an insulator for me. If I ride during the day light I only put a little on my shoulders/arms on the top and top of nose checks ears and back of neck. I seen people slather it on and they are sweater worse and look hotter than those who don't.
    My best solution is riding at midnight or going up north. Once or twice a year I might be able to wake up at 5am but I find it too weird seeing the sun rising up and being on the wrong side of the world.
    Guy, the Bull Frog Water Armor doesn't make a 'shell' it aborbs in really well into your skin, it's meant for activity and works great.

I am Walt
    I just wear a cotton bandanna under my helmet...been doing that for years and years. Yep, gets wringing wet, and sweat drips all down my face and in my glasses, but nothing is going to change that with these temps and humidity, so I just deal with it...

I also take three Hammer Endurolyte caps per hour, but the real helpful trick I've learned is to stick 3-5 Clif Margarita Cramp-Buster Bloks on the top-tube, and pluck them off every 25-30 mins. Really helps with energy and cramping. Yeah, I sweat on them, and they can get dusty, but whatever...it's quick and easy, and I choose life!
    Ride more; post less...

Give it a crank
    It's pretty easy to work around our summer heat and still get some decent riding. Most of it has been mentioned already, you can look at a summer ride as a modified normal ride with just a few changes:

ride earlier or later
    ride flatter terrain
    ride a bit slower
    ride a bit less
    ride lighter
    ride when cloudy
    ride at higher elevations
    ride with good music

That's it, just ride.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Lot's of good new stuff on this thread!

Another little tip I started using when I need to slow it down in the heat. Focus on a part of your riding technique. Examples: Focus on pulling legs up more than down. Focus on stronger bike lean angle on turns. Focus on looking further down the trail.

Slower speeds are a great time to get better. It pulls your mind off the heat a bit too. Also, I often get bored if I feel I am not pushing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    Another little tip I started using when I need to slow it down in the heat. Focus on a part of your riding technique
    Excellent tip! I try to focus on technique when I'm riding with my kids

Cactus Cuddler
    As odd as it sounds, just making the rides frequent stopping, shade abusing rides opens up the more middle parts of the days, if where you're riding has some decent juniper stacks at the sides of the trail. Treating the climbs as 60% effort efficiency pulls helps a lot too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The SweatVac ventilator cap works great for me. I hate sweat drips on the shades or in the eyes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Yes, it was. Stayed up later than I wanted to to make sure my retaped wheels would seal and hold air. Humid as hell but the first ride of the summer that I didn't feel like complete sh|t.

You have a what and don't do what?
    Anybody suggesting that you're a wuss for not riding in the heat needs to think twice about calling somebody out.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Anybody suggesting that you're a wuss for not riding in the heat needs to think twice about calling somebody out.
    You're a wuss, anyway...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    You're a wuss, anyway...
    Well, that goes without saying.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    -UV arm protectors. I started using them this year and they are fabulous. Block the sun with no sunscreen needed. They get wet and when you hit a down hill or stiff breeze you can feel the cooling action on your skin.

-Sugar touched on this, but FOCUS on your riding. It is very easy when its hot to get a little loopy, but not bad enough not to ride. Trouble is if you mind wanders to "how hot is it", "Where should I ride to get back sooner", "Am I okay" you make it that much easier to make a mistake and crash. Prepare your gear and route well in advance and plan bailout points too. Use techniques to concentrate as Sugarhigh mentioned, and adding one is BREATHE. Big breaths using your diaphragm. This will help with the light headedness, and even it its automatic to you, it is one of the first bits of technique that I get sloppy with when it is hot. I love the heat, and have been an outside summer guy since I was a little kid. A lot of it is mind over matter, and when you take all preparations beforehand using the knowledge gained from others in this thread, you can mitigate much of the risk and eliminate fear/doubt/hate of the heat.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Ride often and acclimate. Getting out about three times a week, if even for an hour will help a bunch. I used to work outside, and during the summer, after slaving in the heat, I could come home, grab my bike and hit the trail at 5-6pm (got off of work at about 1:30) and ride for a good two hours. Mind you this is something like a DC out-n-back, but I wouldn't think anything of it. Of course I still used many of the tips already offered.

The one thing that helps me the most after some sun sleeves, is keeping the sun off of my ears and neck. I got a fancy headdress now, but a bandana worked great for a few years. Keep a bottle of water solely for pouring over your head too. Trail selection is key - it is too easy to burn out real fast on a steep or long climb, although I do like the slightly delusional state that comes with a healthy bit of heat exhaustion. I used to pay good money for that, now I just ride my bike.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    PRE-HYDRATE. I work in the heat all day and ride a lot during the summer months. It makes a big difference when I drink water before I work and ride. I usually start drinking water a couple hours before I ride. I have a bottle of water or Powerade on my nightstand while I'm sleeping and take drinks throughout the night. It helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My tip is to come ride in Payson. We have hero dirt up here thanks to all of the rain. Our temps are in the 80's and we're only 90 minutes from the valley. Done and Done.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    My tip is to come ride in Payson. We have hero dirt up here thanks to all of the rain. Our temps are in the 80's and we're only 90 minutes from the valley. Done and Done.
    Deal, I'll be up there soon as I can.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

I am Walt

Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    I've really never considered the riding, or camping, etc, in Payson. What's a recommendation for the "best" 20-30 mile ride up there? Tour of the best Payson trails, if you will...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The VOAZ organization has been kind enough to build us miles upon miles of new trails in the last year or so. Riding from the 260 trailhead down to the See Canyon TH is a super fun 9-ish mile ride that ends with a fast downhill section. From there, cross the parking lot and you will find 4 miles of new single track with spectacular views. You'll want to ride this section as an out and back.

Horton creek is beautiful and super fun trial. It's 4 miles out and back, and again the downhill is challenging and fun.

In Payson city limits is Trail 200. Its a 7 mile loop that is very challenging. You'll feel like you rode 20 miles. We do group rides there every Wednesday evening.

Finally, up in Pine they have recently completed the Barefoot trail. I believe its around 9 miles. You can ride it as an out-and-back or create a loop with other trails in the area (FOTR race course for example).

Those are the greatest hits. If you ever roll through town and need some trail beta, hit up Certified Bicycle on Main Street or 87 Cyclery on Hwy 87. They can set you straight and point you in the right direction.

Also all of this stuff can be found on Strava.

mtbr member
    An idea I have always used to keep my ice cold a long time... I have a bladder that will fit 2 16 oz frozen water bottles in the bottom. I just freeze the water bottles, take them out of the freezer, remove the caps, and put them in the bladder...

This ice will last longer than cubes since it's thicker... On really hot days I will fill the remainder of the bladder with ice water...

Most folks don't like this idea, not sure why not... whatever... just an idea that has worked well for me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    An idea I have always used to keep my ice cold a long time... I have a bladder that will fit 2 16 oz frozen water bottles in the bottom. I just freeze the water bottles, take them out of the freezer, remove the caps, and put them in the bladder...

This ice will last longer than cubes since it's thicker... On really hot days I will fill the remainder of the bladder with ice water...

Most folks don't like this idea, not sure why not... whatever... just an idea that has worked well for me...
    Probably because supposedly really cold water is not good in the heat, since the body has to work harder to bring it to 'normal' temp, or something silly like that. I had heard that technically room temp water is better for you, but no thanks. I like cold. This is a good idea, as the camelback opening is so big.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Meatbomb
    Sounds like you would lose capacity until the ice in the water bottles start to melt. Does that cause a problem? I assume you place them with the opening down.

I use Whiskey Balls, they last a pretty long time.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    Probably because supposedly really cold water is not good in the heat, since the body has to work harder to bring it to 'normal' temp, or something silly like that. I had heard that technically room temp water is better for you, but no thanks. I like cold. This is a good idea, as the camelback opening is so big.
    Tyson, Cold water is beneficial. This study showed 2% performance gain compared to room temp water. Also quicker cool down qand more. Can Drinking Cold Water Improve Performance?

This article get a bit more details with rectal temps and everything. You know it is legit when they involve rectal tempature reading. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/579497

This long winded article showed 5 bpm lower heart rate in the cold water cyclists. Drink temperature influences fluid intake and endurance capacity in men during exercise in a hot, dry environment

Conclusion
    In conclusion, a cold fluid (4°C) significantly enhanced fluid consumption and improved exercise capacity in the heat when compared to a drink at a more neutral temperature (19°C). With cold fluid, rectal temperature was ∼0.25°C lower during the second half of the exercise period and heart rate ∼5 beats min−1 lower, suggesting that the greater volume of cold fluid acted as a heat sink, thereby reducing the effects of heat stress placed upon the body and increasing the time taken to reach an exercise-limiting core temperature.

Conclusion: Run more ice.

How much further ???
    Did you mean Bud Ice?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i feel bad for the poor college kids volunteering for the liquid nitrogen enema study

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Sounds like you would lose capacity until the ice in the water bottles start to melt. Does that cause a problem? I assume you place them with the opening down.

I use Whiskey Balls, they last a pretty long time.
    I mean, that's a good point. But it works out so that the ice melts at a rate fast/slow enough to provide me with water when I need it and keep it ice cold... In the winter I may only use one ice bottle... when its warm-ish I will use 2 ice bottles but no additional ice... now that we are in the extreme heat, I use 2 ice bottles and add additional ice cubes to the bladder...

Sure you can simply fill your bladder with ice... that will work for most short rides... In fact I find using circle k's ice machine to be the fastest way to do this... My ice machine at home is just too slow...

Bottles are open and placed opening down...

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    hawes will be nice and cool and tacky later this afternoon. we're getting totally dumped on right now

How much further ???
    sweet

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    okay,,, upgrade that to horrendous total ****ing insane downpour.. i hope this doesnt wash my yard into the street again,, its too early for this ****

Meatbomb
    I'm heading out for a ride in the Mc D's right now... the heavy stuff and lightening have passed and now it's a lite drizzle - perfection.

mtbr member
    Took a spin on Hawes this evening and loved every minute of it but was worried about doing trail damage in a few really wet spots so I bailed after about 6 miles. Is Secret okay to ride after rain? Was really tempted, but thought I'd ask here before riding it wet.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    Once or twice a year I might be able to wake up at 5am but I find it too weird seeing the sun rising up and being on the wrong side of the world.
    Funny, I feel like a failure when I'm not at the TH when the sun comes up. Like I couldn't get up on time.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Ride at PMP where you have cold water available at DD and at North Mtn. I don't even ride with a camelbak (which keeps me cooler). You can ride for an hour, refill with water, soak your head, then do it again and again.
    I can't imagine riding for an hour without a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    As usual, I have no idea what you are talking about. How did I call him out? raisingarizona said in an earlier post "I have one too........Don't do it." and I went back and tried to figure out what he was talking about. He didn't quote anyone and it appeared to have no connection to anything else in the thread so I wanted to know what he was talking about. I suspect you're just trolling as usual...

I love bike!
    Interested in the sun sleeves...although still a little skeptical. Seems like they'd be warmer than just bare skin. I like the fact that they provide UV protection as I'm a high risk for skin cancer. However, I'd rather just slather up if they're going to make my arms warmer than normal. Are they more effective if you constantly wet them down so they act as a sort of radiator? After searching I found a number of brands but I would assume most are using the Pearl Izumi for biking purposes? Other brand recommendations?

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman View Post
    Interested in the sun sleeves...although still a little skeptical. Seems like they'd be warmer than just bare skin. I like the fact that they provide UV protection as I'm a high risk for skin cancer. However, I'd rather just slather up if they're going to make my arms warmer than normal. Are they more effective if you constantly wet them down so they act as a sort of radiator? After searching I found a number of brands but I would assume most are using the Pearl Izumi for biking purposes? Other brand recommendations?
    As long as you're moving, they won't make you hotter. They collect your sweat, then as you move faster and faster, your arms will actually feel cool as the sweat evaporates, working like a swamp cooler. Slogging on a long climb they can get warm, but still not as hot as the sun directly on your skin. That's nuclear fusion yo! Besides, the climb will only pool the sweat on the sun sleeves, so when you hit the downhill, it's like riding in January.

I find myself taking them off when the going is slow for a long time, over techy terrain. If you can't get moving to work the evap effect, they can get stifling, but a rare event for me. If I hit a water fountain somewhere, or have some extra water, pouring it on the sleeves is pretty awesome, just get some MPHs going! You don't have to wet them like that for the desired effect though. I've used the PI brand for a few years now. I wear them from April to about October. I really hate that slimy sun screen feeling. The solar cap is great for keeping the sun off of your neck and ears too.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast