Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Thule Rack DENTED My Car...

Has anyone had car damage caused by Thule and had the company pay to make it right? My boyfriend bought me a Thule 9003 Raceway Platform 2 rack for my birthday last weekend. It appears to be a super nice rack, and is not cheap. He installed it (he is very meticulous about following directions and doing things correct) on my 2010 Toyota Camry for my trip to Phoenix this past weekend. The rack caused two huge dents to my bumper because it is too heavy. We contacted Thule and are waiting to hear back. Since they are a huge company with a great reputation, I am hoping they will help me out. I'm very disappointed about the damage caused to my car.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 26er_Chick View Post
    Has anyone had car damage caused by Thule and had the company pay to make it right? My boyfriend bought me a Thule 9003 Raceway Platform 2 rack for my birthday last weekend. It appears to be a super nice rack, and is not cheap. He installed it (he is very meticulous about following directions and doing things correct) on my 2010 Toyota Camry for my trip to Phoenix this past weekend. The rack caused two huge dents to my bumper because it is too heavy. We contacted Thule and are waiting to hear back. Since they are a huge company with a great reputation, I am hoping they will help me out. I'm very disappointed about the damage caused to my car.
    Two words: Chicks dig dented Camrys.

Good luck with that. But dents show character (I say that every time I get into my POS).
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, those types of racks tend to do that over time, although in an acute case it's usually because the straps are loose (just because they are tight doesn't mean they are tight enough, due to the weight of the bikes/rack on the car and the fact that they are "hanging" from the top). It looks like if those are loose at all they are going to do just that, transfer a lot of load to the bottom bumper-stops. Trunk-type racks are temporary solutions in my experience, good for very occasional bike transport (like once a month) or for an interm.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    HEHE, Skinny-tire, I am a chick. And I do not dig dents in my Camry. :-( I normally wouldn't care, but this is the first new car I have every purchased and I am very pertective of it. Jayem - I know what you mean. I am not a big fan of trunk racks, but this one was very nice and different than any I had ever seen before. It seemed like a really good idea. I'll post some pictures...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Here's a picture of the rack and the dents in my car...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thule Rack DENTED My Car...-photo.jpg  

Thule Rack DENTED My Car...-img_0383.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    Is that just in the plastic bumper? They may "come out" all by themselves after a few days, if it's metal, maybe not. Using the rack more though would make it permanent. I had a trunk rack for a while and that's what happened. The little legs are usually supposed to set against the trunk, not the bumper though, with those types (trunk) of racks. Even when you do, permanent damange will happen over time (scratched paint, dents, etc).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It is a plastic bumper. My brother said the same thing, so we'll see if the dents "come out". I can only hope. ;-) In this case, the rack was supposed to "sit" on the bumper. I will not be using this rack again. We are going to send it back.

Dirt Merchant
    Buy American!!!
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

Shred...it's the new drug
    maybe black plastic in the hot AZ sun with a weighted rack had something to do with it...i think it looks cool

mtbr member
    It is a plastic bumper. My brother said the same thing, so we'll see if the dents "come out". I can only hope. ;-) In this case, the rack was supposed to "sit" on the bumper. I will not be using this rack again. We are going to send it back.
    Good idea. That looks like a train-wreck of a design, expecially for heavier bikes and flimsy plastic bumpers.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yep I have seen that same damage and worse from trunk racks.
    You can mod it and make it sit higher on the deck lid but it will just damage the deck lid overtime instead of the bumper .

Like was said here , they are just not nice on the car at all .

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    On the Thule website it recommends this rack for Camry's (my specific year), and says it holds bikes up to 70 lbs. Mine only weighs 30.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Sorry, you know what I mean - combined weight of 70 lbs...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Good call to stop using that rack, and like was said earlier in this post the depressions will come back up almost like stock after awhile

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    this time of year HERE , i think anything plastic on the exterior of a car is going to be vulnerable to melting / reshaping /stretching/ sagging with very little pressure applied.

Thule is a swedish company,,, their july temps get up to the mid 70s sometimes...

banned
    A couple here have it right....extreme heat and the weight on the bumper caused that deformity (not a dent, btw). Get a proper roof rack and your problem is solved.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    theres a reason Godiva doesnt have a warehouse here...

mtbr member
    That thing is HUGE for a trunk mounted rack and for the price you could have gotten a hitch and a Yakima 2 bike hitch rack.

Like others have said the plastic will probably pop back out, or it may require a little help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tplace View Post
    Buy American!!!
    But Camrys are made in the US by Americans, unlike my Mexican made Chevy, haha.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riiz View Post
    But Camrys are made in the US by Americans, unlike my Mexican made Chevy, haha.
    Yeah I laugh when people tell me I should buy American.

http://articles.cnn.com/2008-12-12/u...n-car?_s=PM:US

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm only 5' 2". I wouldn't be able to lift a bike over my head to a roof rack. :-( I guess I'll have to get a hitch put on and use our Thule hitch rack... BTW...after doing some internet research, others have had the same problem. Not sure it's caused by heat, but all the weight on a plastic bumper. I'm sure heat does not help the situation. Maybe Thule should include that as a disclaimer seeing that AZ is a huge biking state.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    HA, I was thinking the same thing about the American statement. I buy Trek from Waterloo, Wisconsin! ;-)

Shred...it's the new drug
    HA, I was thinking the same thing about the American statement. I buy Trek from Waterloo, Wisconsin! ;-)
    made in Taiwan...only a handful of North American bike builders now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My Trek says "made in the USA" thank you very much!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Yup, Trek only makes the their Top Tier Carbon frames in Waterloo. The bikes that sell as much or more than a Camry.

@26'er, flip that bike over, and see where its from.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast