Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Thule Rack DENTED My Car...

Has anyone had car damage caused by Thule and had the company pay to make it right? My boyfriend bought me a Thule 9003 Raceway Platform 2 rack for my birthday last weekend. It appears to be a super nice rack, and is not cheap. He installed it (he is very meticulous about following directions and doing things correct) on my 2010 Toyota Camry for my trip to Phoenix this past weekend. The rack caused two huge dents to my bumper because it is too heavy. We contacted Thule and are waiting to hear back. Since they are a huge company with a great reputation, I am hoping they will help me out. I'm very disappointed about the damage caused to my car.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 26er_Chick View Post
    Has anyone had car damage caused by Thule and had the company pay to make it right? My boyfriend bought me a Thule 9003 Raceway Platform 2 rack for my birthday last weekend. It appears to be a super nice rack, and is not cheap. He installed it (he is very meticulous about following directions and doing things correct) on my 2010 Toyota Camry for my trip to Phoenix this past weekend. The rack caused two huge dents to my bumper because it is too heavy. We contacted Thule and are waiting to hear back. Since they are a huge company with a great reputation, I am hoping they will help me out. I'm very disappointed about the damage caused to my car.
    Two words: Chicks dig dented Camrys.

Good luck with that. But dents show character (I say that every time I get into my POS).
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, those types of racks tend to do that over time, although in an acute case it's usually because the straps are loose (just because they are tight doesn't mean they are tight enough, due to the weight of the bikes/rack on the car and the fact that they are "hanging" from the top). It looks like if those are loose at all they are going to do just that, transfer a lot of load to the bottom bumper-stops. Trunk-type racks are temporary solutions in my experience, good for very occasional bike transport (like once a month) or for an interm.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    HEHE, Skinny-tire, I am a chick. And I do not dig dents in my Camry. :-( I normally wouldn't care, but this is the first new car I have every purchased and I am very pertective of it. Jayem - I know what you mean. I am not a big fan of trunk racks, but this one was very nice and different than any I had ever seen before. It seemed like a really good idea. I'll post some pictures...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Here's a picture of the rack and the dents in my car...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thule Rack DENTED My Car...-photo.jpg  

Thule Rack DENTED My Car...-img_0383.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    Is that just in the plastic bumper? They may "come out" all by themselves after a few days, if it's metal, maybe not. Using the rack more though would make it permanent. I had a trunk rack for a while and that's what happened. The little legs are usually supposed to set against the trunk, not the bumper though, with those types (trunk) of racks. Even when you do, permanent damange will happen over time (scratched paint, dents, etc).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It is a plastic bumper. My brother said the same thing, so we'll see if the dents "come out". I can only hope. ;-) In this case, the rack was supposed to "sit" on the bumper. I will not be using this rack again. We are going to send it back.

Dirt Merchant
    Buy American!!!
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

Shred...it's the new drug
    maybe black plastic in the hot AZ sun with a weighted rack had something to do with it...i think it looks cool

mtbr member
    It is a plastic bumper. My brother said the same thing, so we'll see if the dents "come out". I can only hope. ;-) In this case, the rack was supposed to "sit" on the bumper. I will not be using this rack again. We are going to send it back.
    Good idea. That looks like a train-wreck of a design, expecially for heavier bikes and flimsy plastic bumpers.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yep I have seen that same damage and worse from trunk racks.
    You can mod it and make it sit higher on the deck lid but it will just damage the deck lid overtime instead of the bumper .

Like was said here , they are just not nice on the car at all .

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    On the Thule website it recommends this rack for Camry's (my specific year), and says it holds bikes up to 70 lbs. Mine only weighs 30.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Sorry, you know what I mean - combined weight of 70 lbs...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Good call to stop using that rack, and like was said earlier in this post the depressions will come back up almost like stock after awhile

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    this time of year HERE , i think anything plastic on the exterior of a car is going to be vulnerable to melting / reshaping /stretching/ sagging with very little pressure applied.

Thule is a swedish company,,, their july temps get up to the mid 70s sometimes...

banned
    A couple here have it right....extreme heat and the weight on the bumper caused that deformity (not a dent, btw). Get a proper roof rack and your problem is solved.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    theres a reason Godiva doesnt have a warehouse here...

mtbr member
    That thing is HUGE for a trunk mounted rack and for the price you could have gotten a hitch and a Yakima 2 bike hitch rack.

Like others have said the plastic will probably pop back out, or it may require a little help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tplace View Post
    Buy American!!!
    But Camrys are made in the US by Americans, unlike my Mexican made Chevy, haha.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riiz View Post
    Yeah I laugh when people tell me I should buy American.

http://articles.cnn.com/2008-12-12/u...n-car?_s=PM:US

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm only 5' 2". I wouldn't be able to lift a bike over my head to a roof rack. :-( I guess I'll have to get a hitch put on and use our Thule hitch rack... BTW...after doing some internet research, others have had the same problem. Not sure it's caused by heat, but all the weight on a plastic bumper. I'm sure heat does not help the situation. Maybe Thule should include that as a disclaimer seeing that AZ is a huge biking state.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    HA, I was thinking the same thing about the American statement. I buy Trek from Waterloo, Wisconsin! ;-)

HA, I was thinking the same thing about the American statement. I buy Trek from Waterloo, Wisconsin! ;-)
    made in Taiwan...only a handful of North American bike builders now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My Trek says "made in the USA" thank you very much!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Yup, Trek only makes the their Top Tier Carbon frames in Waterloo. The bikes that sell as much or more than a Camry.

@26'er, flip that bike over, and see where its from.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It is Carbon - it didn't cost more than my Camry though!

i stand corrected...my mountain and I are allergic to carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Best long term solution,and made in the USA.

www.curtmfg.com
    Last edited by Azpilot; 07-19-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: bad link

meow
    I'm not a fan of hitch or trunk racks...the first time you get rear ended with the bike on it will be the last of the bike. I had a Camry and used a roof rack, no probs getting the bike on it at 5'6", but then got an SUV and the roof rack on it was too high for me. Solved that with a small step stool that folds flat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Meatbomb
    F 250 and throw it in the bed.

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    F 250 and throw it in the bed.
    Yup
    I dig dirt!

Dianetics Junior
    my Thule rack dented the roof of my car when I drove into the garage with my bike on the roof...

.....sorry to hear about your situation though - hope they come through for you...

mtbr member
    Just return it, and purchase the style that rests just below the license plate on the metal of the trunk. I used to put a bath towel inbetween just for fun even though there was already rubber padding. NEVER had any issues with a dodge neon and they are WEAK! also used it on a cherokee and again no issues. + they normaly only wigh @ 10lbs or less ad hold @ 100lbs. I always tested mine with my body weight, If it holds me then it will hold my bikes.

OR!!! considering the price payed for that rack you have you could have gone to u-haul and had a hitch installed and picked up a nice STEEL rack that will fold up or double as a cargo rack.

Eroding into the trail
    Or
    You could get one of these & problem solved (hopefully you won't get rear-ended by an idiot driver).

http://www.northshoreracks.com/

You should be able to get your bike onto the rack OK.

Take your car to a body shop & get their opinion & written estimate if in their opinion the damage is not repairable. Unfortunately, many of the urethane bumper covers do not return to shape when deformed/dented; replacement of the entire bumper cover is required + paint to match. Sorry for the bummer on the bumper, but you may be in for an expensive repair to your new car (INSURANCE).
    Last edited by DustyBones; 07-19-2011 at 04:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have this rack and really like it. The bottom of my rack doesn't sit on the bumper, but rests against the trunk next to the bumper. The weight of the bikes, with this design, is supposed to be supported by the hooks on the top of the trunk. The back of the trunk lid only acts as a stabilizer. The weight shouldn't be on the bumper at all, as far as I can tell.

I'd look at how you have it installed and compare it to the mounting directions to make sure it's on right. Yes, I know others have had the same problem as you. Unfortunately with this rack, it's easy to install it incorrectly (IMHO).

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CBizzie View Post
    my Thule rack dented the roof of my car when I drove into the garage with my bike on the roof...

.....sorry to hear about your situation though - hope they come through for you...
    Same thing happened to me and this is exactly why I wanted a trunk or receiver rack. Unfortunately for my car (91 Civic), I couldn't find a receiver hitch, so I was stuck with a trunk rack.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    I'm not a fan of hitch or trunk racks...the first time you get rear ended with the bike on it will be the last of the bike. I had a Camry and used a roof rack, no probs getting the bike on it at 5'6", but then got an SUV and the roof rack on it was too high for me. Solved that with a small step stool that folds flat.
    You also realize its likely your roof-rack bikes will be thrown off if you get in any significant accident due to the 400 Gs...?

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by CBizzie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by J_Hopper View Post
    Same thing happened to me and this is exactly why I wanted a trunk or receiver rack. Unfortunately for my car (91 Civic), I couldn't find a receiver hitch, so I was stuck with a trunk rack.
    I did the same thing in 2001ish I totally forgot about that until reading this post!

banned
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by riiz View Post
    ...off the turn buckle for the BODY SLAM! BAMMMMM!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Hopper View Post
    I have this rack and really like it. The bottom of my rack doesn't sit on the bumper, but rests against the trunk next to the bumper. The weight of the bikes, with this design, is supposed to be supported by the hooks on the top of the trunk. The back of the trunk lid only acts as a stabilizer. The weight shouldn't be on the bumper at all, as far as I can tell.

I'd look at how you have it installed and compare it to the mounting directions to make sure it's on right. Yes, I know others have had the same problem as you. Unfortunately with this rack, it's easy to install it incorrectly (IMHO).
    For the camry-fit tips say to let it rest on top tier of bumper, so that was done right. Not sure what numbers you had the cables set at-but it recommends a specific one for your car. On a sour note, in the terms and conditions-Thule explictly says they are not responsible for damage to your car. It will be tough to get them to cough up anything. However- I have seen large companies, while never admitting to any wrongdoing just pay up. Why? They had numerous complaints that were exactly the same!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Gold it's the new Pink!
    As many have said before this is par on course for a decklid mount rack especially in the summer. The plastic bumper cover really is not designed to have 70 lbs or more on such a small area. The rack can hold a lot of weight but.bumper covers and deck lid always take the brunt of it. Not to be harsh but I would be extremely surprised if you get more than I am sorry that happened out of them. It is truly unfortunate especially when you have a new car.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You could probably just put a piece of wood with carpet on the back to not scratch the paint to distribute the weight better and not cause a dent. take 15-20 mins and not cost much. Either that or bite the bullet and go with a roof rack, just don't forget about the bikes while pullin into the garage....
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Had this happen with the ex-gf's Camry bumper a few years ago. Heat + Pressure = dent in the foam bumper. It will come out on its own in a few days/weeks. Get a hitch rack or roofrack.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Lots of options! If your going hitch mount platform, which i think is the best option. If you get rear ended, insurance..."new bike'! Checkout the swagman 2 bike platform rack. I have the 4 bike version that I've been using for a couple years no problems, and it's inexpensive.2 Bike Carrier for 1-1/4" and 2" Trailer Hitches - Wheel Mount - Swagman XTC-2 Swagman Hitch Bike Racks,RV and Motorhome Bike Racks S64670

mtbr member
    Just a tip for those who roof rack and park in the garage- when riding, put your clicker in the trunk, backseat or glove box.

If you have one of those intgrated to the car buttons-a piece of tape works. Also I had a friend that would set a traffic cone in his driveway as a reminder too.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Similar issue with my Mini

26er_Chic,

What happened with your conversation with Thule?

I purchased the same rack a few months ago for my mini cooper. Initially I loved the rack but I recently noticed two big dents on the back door of the mini. Not on the bumper since I always make sure the bottom part of the rack sits just below the license plate.

The problem is the rack design and weight. The weight of the rack and bike rests all in the two SMALL points against the door. Unlike other rear door racks, there is no foam to protect the car but just a thin layer of rubber. The weight needs to be distributed on a wider area.

I bike a lot and I have one of those top of the line carbon bikes made in the USA (Actually, I used to have one since it was stolen off of this rack last week but this is for a different thread). The rack is on every other day. I will attempt to call Thule since I used it as recommended and the damaged caused to my car is probably worth more than the rack itself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hi All -

Sorry for my late response to this thread. I have to say, I am very impressed with Thule's customer service. They allowed me to return the rack and covered the shipping (sent me a shipping label). They offered to repair the damage to my car. I was considering this, however, since my bumper is plastic, most of the damage came out. I decided against a whole new bumper for two dents you can barely see. I bought a hitch and will go with that from now on (with a Thule T2 hitch rack that I LOVE). Hopefully this helps!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    yes, but this is what insurance is for. If somebody hits you, it's an accident and their insurance will cover the damages.

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    yes, but this is what insurance is for. If somebody hits you, it's an accident and their insurance will cover the damages.
    dude! where do you live. Do you realize how many drivers in AZ do NOT have insurance. Which forces dudes like me to carry extra uninsured motorist and under-insured motorist insurance.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Hi All -

Sorry for my late response to this thread. I have to say, I am very impressed with Thule's customer service. They allowed me to return the rack and covered the shipping (sent me a shipping label). They offered to repair the damage to my car. I was considering this, however, since my bumper is plastic, most of the damage came out. I decided against a whole new bumper for two dents you can barely see. I bought a hitch and will go with that from now on (with a Thule T2 hitch rack that I LOVE). Hopefully this helps!
    Ha. I think the T2 is the rack most people default to after a few years of messing with other racks. I've had mine for several years now but remember going thru 2 or 3 trunk mounted ones before biting the bullet on a T2 and hitch.

Glad I got mine when I did, given how much more expensive they are now.

-JB
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast