mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm Is there any riding near Payson? Yes there is!

Here is a little clip of the Horton Creek trail. It is located about 18 miles north of Payson. You basically climb 4 miles underneath the Mogollon Rim and then turn around and bomb back down. It's a lot of fun and worth doing if you're in the area. Especially in the summer.

As I mentioned in the Vimeo description, you do not need the full DH setup to for this trail. I recently broke my ribs and got 4 stitches in my elbow. I decided to gear up to try and avoid further injury while I nurse myself back to good health. Normally its just a helmet and speedo for me.

Enjoy

Horton Creek Near Payson, AZ on Vimeo
    Last edited by aevanlloyd; 11-30-2013 at 12:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I don't see the clip?

Elitest thrill junkie
    I do. Looks really neat. Like that exposure at the one point. Looks like a great trail for the prescott rigid SS contingent, hehe. Nice vid.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

EDR

Re: Is there any riding near Payson? Yes there is!

I've hiked/walked that trail many times and it never occurred to me that it would make a very good mtb bike trail. Seems like it would be kinda boring. Your video proves me wrong. Nice job.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Does that creek run year round? Riding down hill along a running creek in Arizona makes it worth checking out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yes. The creek is spring fed.

mtbr member
    GPX? I am going to try that next time work takes me that way. thanks for sharing it!
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    Here is a little clip of the Horton Creek trail. It is located about 18 miles north of Payson. You basically climb 4 miles underneath the Mogollon Rim and then turn around and bomb back down. It's a lot of fun and worth doing if you're in the area. Especially in the summer.

As I mentioned in the Vimeo description, you do not need the full DH setup to for this trail. I recently broke my ribs and got 4 stitches in my elbow. I decided to gear up to try and avoid further injury while I nurse myself back to good health. Normally its just a helmet and speedo for me.

Enjoy

Horton Creek Near Payson, AZ on Vimeo
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Does that creek run year round? Riding down hill along a running creek in Arizona makes it worth checking out.
    That Creek is the reason we hike up there once or twice a year. We usually walk up the trail about 2 miles or so and then drop down to the creek and make our way back. Walking down in that Creek is of the most beautiful places in Arizona.

mtbr member
    Hiked it many times, this last time I was actually trying to thik about how it would be on a bike. They did a reroute on the upper section to avoid the old "road" and it seems like it would be fun on 2 wheels. If you go all the way to the springs though, it is a good climb, at least for me it would be.

Si vales, valeo.
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    That Creek is the reason we hike up there once or twice a year. We usually walk up the trail about 2 miles or so and then drop down to the creek and make our way back. Walking down in that Creek is of the most beautiful places in Arizona.
    I've been camping in that area since the mid 90's, great place! Last year I went creekwalking in that creek with water temps in the low 30's - hurts at first, but a great experience for sure!
    "An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by Warshade View Post
    I've been camping in that area since the mid 90's, great place! Last year I went creekwalking in that creek with water temps in the low 30's - hurts at first, but a great experience for sure!
    30 degrees? Yikes! We only do it in the middle of summer. Usually hit up Box Canyon as well. Its just a couple miles up the road.

Si vales, valeo.
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    30 degrees? Yikes! We only do it in the middle of summer. Usually hit up Box Canyon as well. Its just a couple miles up the road.
    Yes, I believe it was March when we went last. (I once camped there in mid April and it snowed...A LOT.)
    "An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

No Clue Crew
    Very nice. I LOVE camping up there and always looking to get a ride in in between battling the Rainbows and Browns...