mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Thanks to Mike and Rob - Crash on National

Mike and Rob: Thanks so much for helping me out after my crash! I don't think I would have made it down without the assistance. I owe you both some serious dinner, drinks, and multiple bike trips after I mend. So sorry to blow your ride and hope I can make it up in the future. Good news is that nothing is broken. Bad news is I may have blown the tendon that goes up my leg and attaches to the pelvic bone. Hopefully not, but I won't know until the swelling goes down. Hand hurts like hell, but nothing broken there either. My pretty HD is broken, but those parts are an easy fix. On the positive side, I guess it is time for some upgrades since I have to replace things!!!!!

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Ouch. Sorry to hear of your injury. Glad you were in good hands. Care to share details of the crash?

What did you break on the bike?

Huffy Rider
    Noooooooooooo! Please get better soon, I am gonna miss riding with you!

Brenda

mtbr member
    climnron: If it is the iliac tibial tendon get it looked at I ruptured mine on a ride and still rode 9 miles that day and then a 5-6 miles later that week and all the time it just felt like my outer quad was sore. Once I went to the doctor because swelling did go down but still felt weird. turned our rupture IT band, rupture PCL, ruptured meniscus, and tore lateral collateral ligament.

good luck with healing, hopefully nothing major
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

EDR
    I think we crossed paths. Talked a bit at the waterfall and on my way down I passed a few guys walking...one walking gingerly to say the least. Passed you just before the National/Mormon connection. I didn't offer up more than a, "you guys all good?", or something like that. It was obvious you had help.

Anyhow, heal up. You weren't looking to great and it was still a good long walk back down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler View Post
    Ouch. Sorry to hear of your injury. Glad you were in good hands. Care to share details of the crash?

What did you break on the bike?
    I'm not all that sure how the crash started. The location was up hill from the National Mormon junction, above the big rock step up in a chute by a tree, next you would go left and then right up a rock slab to the left of a trail post. Coming down there you could roll the rock slab now on your right or take the jump on the left where you land near the post. Anyway, I crashed on the section above the jump where it is straight with small rolling dips, maybe 3/4 the way down. I have ridden that section no less than 50 times with no problem. It is super easy, but I have been hitting that jump faster and faster over the last month trying to really get air off it. On my way up there was a fairly large rock laying in that section and I thought "I should move that because if someone hit it on the way down they could get hurt," but I kept going since I didn't want to lose my momentum. I don't know if I hit that on the way down or if I took a different line knowing it was there. I did not hit my head by the way. It was just that everything happened so fast.

So, I was heading down gaining speed to hit that jump and the feeling was that something made my bike bounce and veer right. I lost balance and was trying to get it corrected, but I was going to fast to get it recovered before I slammed into a line of boulders on the right. I knew I was going to hit at a certain point and decided to lay the bike on it's side rather than hit head on and fly OTB. It seemed like the safest option. When it went down the front wheel slid under a rock and the full impact was on the right handlebar at the shifter and brake. I hit the rocks on the right full impact with the hip and then got slammed into the stem. I'm not sure if it was the rock or the stem that really hurt my hip, but by the size of the bruise I will say the rock. My hand was pretty hurt too. Right below my knee and shin was road rash even though I was wearing pads. I guess the initial hit grabbed the pad and pulled it down. Damn sticky SoMo rock!

I haven't looked at the bike since the crash, as I don't want to get depressed more than I already am about not being able to ride or climb. The things I noticed at the time of the crash were a bent handle bar at the right shifter, right brake and shifter looked banged up and may need to be replaced, all the cables on the right side were ground down to metal and the brake felt a little loose with some fluid possibly leaking, and a good scratch on the left stanchion tube. My front wheel was pinned under the rock, but I haven't checked spokes or the rim. I didn't see anything on the frame, but again I didn't really look that hard. I was more worried about the pain pulsing down the hip and how the hell I was going to get down to the truck. I hit so freaking hard I had one of those oh **** I just broke something bad moments. It felt like someone hit me with a sledge hammer right on the front of the hip bone.

Hopefully I will heal and Rage will put the bike back together with out having to drop too much money. This accident reminds me you can't get complacent on the easy sections because when you do that is when you get hurt. It never seems to be on the harder stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
    climnron: If it is the iliac tibial tendon get it looked at I ruptured mine on a ride and still rode 9 miles that day and then a 5-6 miles later that week and all the time it just felt like my outer quad was sore. Once I went to the doctor because swelling did go down but still felt weird. turned our rupture IT band, rupture PCL, ruptured meniscus, and tore lateral collateral ligament.

good luck with healing, hopefully nothing major
    That doesn't sound good. I hope it isn't anything, but knowing my body, and having gone through a previous shoulder surgery for a SLAP repair, things just don't feel right. I will have an appointment this week with an ortho surgeon and I am sure he will want a MRI. And to be honest, I do too even if it is money spent for peace of mind.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Sounds like a nasty spill. It is funny (not in the comical way of course) how the familiar stuff can really rear up and get us. I have been reminded of that a few times lately too but fortunately with less severe consequences.

Here's to speedy and complete mending of the body, and hopefully your bike isn't too bad.

"No Clue Crew"
    Glad you made it out. It's always good to ride with guys/gals you know will help you out. Wish I could finds some. My crew would leave me for he coyotes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    Glad you made it out. It's always good to ride with guys/gals you know will help you out. Wish I could finds some. My crew would leave me for he coyotes.
    I wish I had a crew. I typically ride by myself. Luckily some kind hearted riders happened upon me minutes after the crash. The last few days have sucked. I didn't know so many colors could flow through your hip!