banned

Thank-You Forest Service for Sighns at Snake and Anaconda

OK, today was an amazing day of riding and small miracles. After a fun day of riding newly adopted mountain bike built user trails and several system trails we ended up climbing out Snake from the hopefully some day to be adopted OK Alternate Trail.

I didn't clean Snake this time and that was a bummer, but I well get over it. As I was riding up the the Anaconda/Snake intersection I was AMAZED to see TEMPORARY signage on a 4" wide 4' high carsonite it said <------Anaconda Snake------->.

I thought to myself is the FS listening to me or Rama Jon. I know they have the ignore button on when I say it's more important to give users a reinforcement as to where they are going then worrying about not using Forest Service approved signage so don't us any signage and let user's have a terrible experience.

Adrian if that was you out making that happen I really appreciate it . If it happened to be some kind of traildoc jerk making it look like the FS did it, right on dude.

It is amazing how much a positive difference it makes to have a little 3 X 3 white sticker on a carsonite with a hand written trail name and arrow to direct users.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I noticed that on my ride yesterday as well. I am liking the various new signage in NW Sedona.

I also think the various work done on Gunslinger/Chuckwagon was pretty decent. It was nice to get the hell out of the cold and enjoy a long day of near perfect weather.

I am going to go check out hangover wednesday after I finish a small job in uptown sedona.

I for one am very appreciative of the new found open mindedness of the FS, and all the subsequent adoptions and signage plans.

I don't really give two rips about personal politics or drama. I am just stoked at the recent progress in Sedona.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SuctionGoat View Post
    I noticed that on my ride yesterday as well. I am liking the various new signage in NW Sedona.

I also think the various work done on Gunslinger/Chuckwagon was pretty decent. It was nice to get the hell out of the cold and enjoy a long day of near perfect weather.

I am going to go check out hangover wednesday after I finish a small job in uptown sedona.

I for one am very appreciative of the new found open mindedness of the FS, and all the subsequent adoptions and signage plans.

I don't really give two rips about personal politics or drama. I am just stoked at the recent progress in Sedona.
    SG:

What additional new signage are you referring to? There certainly has been a lot of permanent signage when a trail gets adopted, but sometimes like the intersection of Long Canyon Rd. and Mescal on the south side of the road there is very little to help users figure where they are going easily like those temporary signs on Girdner/Snake-Anaconda intersection and the Snake/Anaconda intersection.

At the recent RTCA meeting the Search and Rescue individual said the biggest problem with people getting lost was poor signage and maintenance. I personal don't get the poor maintenance thing, but signage is a no brainer.

He also said there are too many user built trails and that 99.9% of people who get lost are hikers. If the FS would allow me to, I would make a hobby out of putting up temporary signage to help users from getting lost. My feeling is the FS has resigned themselves to having people get lost on those user-built trails because they are user-built and not FS built. They pretend to be concerned, but if they really were they would allow guys like me to set up temporary signage.

I could put up a little hand written sign on a 3 1/2 X 3 1/2 piece of reflective tape and I would say:

Non System Mountain Bike Trail- Not Recommended For Biking or Hiking Use

mtbr member
    You should start a blog - Sedona trails news and gossip

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    You should start a blog - Sedona trails news and gossip
    Metal:

Other people have said that, but I don't think the FS would be monitoring my blog they would just ignore it. By MTBR letting me document this historical period of change that is effecting the trail dynamic in Sedona we are learning a lot about how the process works. The mountain bike community has put a ton of effort into making Sedona a great place to ride.

Person X teamed up with the FS and got eight of his user built trails brought into a system status. Those trails were very difficult to adopt, but X's girlfriend was in a position to drive the progress forward. This is very historic and needs to be recognized. Some have said others should also team up with other FS employees to get their favorite master pieces adopted.

Now is when the real colors of the FS will be shown. There are over six trails slated to be closed. Many of those trails are local and non local favorites. It has been said some of the closures are due to made up issues that don't really exist. We have heard this type of dialog before and this time due to the RTCA Planning Process, we can ask that false statements be shown to be accurate. If a trail is claimed to be more unsustainable than Person X's trails, and that is not the case it could be somewhat a problem with the mountain biking public.

Jackie Harmony trained on one of those trails to help her take a 5th place in the women's world DH championships this last year. Why not ask Jackie what she thinks of that trail. I don't believe she thinks it should be trashed.

If Jennifer can adopt eight of her boyfriends trails she certainly can figure out a way to adopt some of those other six popular trails.

One of those trails exits into an area some say is an area that had huge native American activity. The trail area was show cased in several local hiking books and the actual exit is at an old parking area for sightseers vehicles looking for native American artifacts fifty years ago. The spot was scoured for artifacts for several years until no more could be found. Now the FS may claim this is very sensitive site. That maybe the case, but we hope to find out the truth.