mtbr member
    Nov 2008

New question here. Terrain at Papago Park for 2009 Pain and Purpose race

Hi

Quick question about the terrian The race web site says it's great for beginners. Just wondering about the definition of a beginner. I'm mainly a roadie and not strong on technical terrain. My off road riding is limited to the AZ canal system type of paths. My Mtn bike is also a hardtail - no dual suspension. Obviously, any 12 hour race is going to be challenge, but I don't want to end up walking half the route because it's too technical to ride. I'm fairly fit and have finished over a dozen road century rides, tri, duathlons,etc - so if I properly pace myself I believe I have the fitness level to finish. I just want to be able to challenge myself riding and not have to walk sections each lap. Any thoughts?

I would be coming in from Philadelphia for the race, that's why I'm trying to be sure it's terrain I can handle and a style of race I would enjoy before making flight plans, etc.

Thanks!

DC

Pivotal figure
    The route they usually lay out through the park is fairly simple, nothing too crazy. The terrain itself is rocky with hardpack sections and everything from loose gravelly stuff to sand. Your hardtail will do fine although your body may disagree after 8 hrs
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

slow uphill
    I ride a hardtail 29er and rode Papago for the PBR triathlon. The course isn't the same but from last year's map I think there is some overlap.

It's not too difficult - the hardest parts at PBR were two steep climbs, one had some loose rocks but it was still manageable. From the expanded race map it doesn't look like it will be too difficult. As usual, this is a good one to pre-ride.

I'm thinking of signing up for this race - last I checked there are still spots, and would be a good warm up for 24HOP.

Meatbomb
    I'm lucky to ride for 2 hours and you goobers are talking about 12 or 24.... I feel old fat and slow .

A serious man.
    Anyone have a link to the map? I ride Papago a few times per week, might be able to chime in. Although like the other guys said, doubt it will be anything too technical. Papago for the most part is pretty tame.

slow uphill
    Here's a link to the map:

http://www.sydney12hourride.com/page2.html